IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Would you consider Omar to be a guitar virtuoso?Or is he just a lazy hack who knows nothing of theory?

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#21 Nizzim

Nizzim

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2256 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Posted 14 July 2009 - 12:36 AM

composition....you say it like hes any different from any other band leader

is Thomas Erak a composer? Because he writes all the parts out? well...yes. he is in that respect, but is that what youd call him?

Omar is GOOD, very very GOOOD. He has had some really nice ideas musicially, some not so tasteful, some that are a little too omar cookie cutter, and some that anyone else could write if theyd given the time and passion to it.

Whoever said writing music isnt that hard, you are completely correct. I only give Omar respect for doing it instead of just talking.

Opinions are opinions, these people are seem to like different guitarists, some guitarists will never be heard of, and theyll rip face on any song, but they arent trying to be noticed like that, its for the love of the music.

Omar loves his music, does it make him any better than anyone, no. Does it make him a virtuoso? Yes, to him, everything he writes is comprehensive, understandable, digestable, and just makes sense.

Music is good if it makes sense to you. Its a personal thing.

#22 hellpaso

hellpaso

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Joined 27-December 08

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:06 PM

Cassandra Gemini

fucking Cassandra Gemini!!!

/thread

#23 Nizzim

Nizzim

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2256 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:08 PM

Cassandra Gemini

fucking Cassandra Gemini!!!

/thread

this

#24 90adZAP

90adZAP

Has a crush on Lisa Mullins

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7286 posts
  • Joined 17-March 07
  • Interests:Running<br />Listening to music<br />Writing music<br />Pondering the universe<br />Going to school<br />Eating food
  • Facebook

Posted 14 July 2009 - 04:50 PM

Omar has indeed said that he isn't a very good guitarist, bassist, drummer, singer etc.
that he's just a guy with ideas

#25 Chompist

Chompist

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Joined 09-March 06
  • Interests:Playing trumpet!

Posted 14 July 2009 - 05:37 PM

I really dont agree that playing fast = having skill on guitar.

You're right. Not all the time. Case in point: John Frusciante. But as Jessejoedotcom pointed out...

There is a group of people that seem to think because you can play fast, or that you are trained, that you lack any emotion or feel for playing the guitar.

So, I believe there are both ends of either spectrum (slow/fast, emotional/non-emotional).

I also think it's important someone brought up the idea of pure SOUND. This is what made Jimi Hendrix so special...his concern for the SOUND and TEXTURE of his guitar...and I think that is what make Omar so good (as well as many other traits about him).

Of course, there are technical players who are boring as fuck. I always give Dream Theater as an example. Petrucci can play Flight of the Bumblebee to perfection in concert, but would it move you musically? Probably not. Miss a note dude, put some feeling into it.

I have to disagree. I find his ability to structure his solos to be excellent...I feel that he knows how to build up to and die away from climaxes very well, which is what gives his solos emotion for me. And also, check out Petrucci's solo on the song "Repentance" on youtube or something from their album Systematic Chaos. This is a very good solo, with lots of space and emotion in it.

Now to Omar, Omar is something different. If you asked my opinion I wouldn't put him anywhere near the guitar talents of these guys. Of course he isn't. But, Omar is a composer. He is one of the most creative musical minds I have ever heard. The ideas and detail and layers he puts into the music he creates is truly amazing. The emotion and moods in the solos on Cignus and Cassandra is something you can't simply write to sheet music, and play later. That is what Omar does best. Don't let this mean he isn't a good guitar player, he is. He plays very complicated pieces and has the dexterity and durability of performance that cannot be matched. Is he a virtuoso? No. Is he the guitar hero of this generation? I would say yes.
Written from the perspective of a guitarist, of course. :)

Perfectly said.

omar just has a certain way of expressing emotions and feelings through his music. Thats why i think music theory actually limits musical talent. You end up over analysing everything and it losing any feeling/enjoyment. For example my brother is a great sax player and has been playing for over 10 years now. I started playing piano when i was 6 but lost interest around 11 years old. I've unfortuantely totally forgotten how to play it now and i regret that. anyways i ended up picking up his acoustic guitar. A few years and weekly lessons later, i've learned how to play guitar pretty well. By that time i can have music discussions with my brother who took many, many music classes in college and learned from an excelent instructor who incorporated music theory into everything. He can't recognize pitches very well; i can recognize almost any pitch. I associate keys and scales with feelings and colors and life experiences, like "i listened to this song when my girlfriend broke up with me" or something. He has only learned music theory from the beginning; i learned some but i also learned pitches and scales very much on my own. Like for me, D minor is the saddest sounding key. I immediately know something is in D minor because the second it starts, there is an atmosphere if sadness that i feel in the song. I recall personal sad experiences and i know for a fact that this is D minor. Now he will try to pick certain things apart in it an over analyse and lose the personal aspect of the music, which i feel limits the ability to recognize the key of the song. Another thing is he'll hear something like a weird chord progression and go "how the hell does that work! it makes no theorhetical sense..." while it makes perfect sense to me because i get the emotion behind it and why this note was added to give it that bizzare, eerie feeling.

That is really a shame. I am in a situation similar to your brother (college theory classes and all that), but I find that music theory has only enriched my listening experiences. It only adds another perspective or another layer onto the music from which I can extract even more personal meaning. Music theory for me is a way to travel inside the composer's head and discover why they wrote the piece the way they did. In other words, theory helps me ask the question, "Why did the composer write this part the way he did, and what is the message he is trying to convey by doing this?"

But I feel its a shame you're brother got caught up in all the mathematical structuring and whatnot that surrounds music theory...and I think it's awesome that you still connect with the emotion in the music, even with less training than him!

#26 J808BIT

J808BIT

I SMOKE CRACK

• Members
  • 10428 posts
  • Joined 21-February 08
  • Interests:cocaine.
  • Twitter

Posted 14 July 2009 - 05:59 PM

Omar has indeed said that he isn't a very good guitarist, bassist, drummer, singer etc.
that he's just a guy with ideas

/thread

#27 warrenoates

warrenoates

Hi

• Members
  • 5481 posts
  • Joined 21-June 09

Posted 14 July 2009 - 07:48 PM

guys guys guys, there's only one way to resolve this!

shredfest 2 da death between the "greats" and omar.

froosh, petrucci, satch, vai, malmsteen, gilbert, (insert generic shredders here), omar.

and if you get eliminated, you get ground up and made into a guitar for the winner.

#28 ouirdachampine

ouirdachampine

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Joined 25-June 09

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:20 AM

I don't consider Omar a virtuoso. He's got speed, a few hot licks, an experimental edge, and above all ability to transmit energy through his playing. When he's really on fire, his energy rivals John Coltrane's. However, virtuoso implies an uncanny mastering and knowledge of the instrument, like John Coltrane once again. Omar hasn't mastered guitar by any means, and that's part of the appeal of his playing.

#29 memories

memories

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1420 posts
  • Joined 28-June 08
  • Interests:the mars volta.

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:26 AM

hes actually named best guitar player(current) by rolling stone magazine
but yes i do consider him a fucking genius

#30 ouirdachampine

ouirdachampine

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Joined 25-June 09

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:33 AM

Carlos Santana is a great example of a true guitar virtuoso. Wasn't a shredder, had unbelievable technique with both hands, could play lyrically and melodically unlike anyone else, was great at manipulating his tone and volume knobs to get the tones he wanted, not to mention that the motherfucker had so much SOUL. Omar is nowhere close to that, he just doesn't have that kind of control even when he's really concentrating on it, which a lot of times he isn't. There's just a lot more to being a guitar virtuoso than playing fast and writing cool songs.

#31 Nizzim

Nizzim

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2256 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:49 AM

omar is still a young cat. Hes maturing on his musical ideas more and more.

I mean, hes not seemingly trying to be that Santana master with all the flamenco and spanish licks he can throw in. and in this aspect, he can sometimes look or sound strung out or just a little lazy sometimes. Other times, its cool little riffs. but youre right, a virtuoso is someone who conducts a little more play on the instrument, someone who can really play every which way on the thing.

hell get there if he wants to, but probably not

#32 opsin

opsin

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 13-March 08

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:11 AM

"Asilos Magdelena is better than anything Ive heard that Steve Vai has done in both technique and composition."

Seconded. I can't think of many guitarrists as imaginative as Omar, and he shreds like a total mofo.

#33 Jack Austin Gilbert 7

Jack Austin Gilbert 7

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1308 posts
  • Joined 15-April 07
  • Interests:Unanimous wedge, baby

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:30 AM

Omar isn't a guitar god. He's just a fantastic songwriter. Like, f'reals, listen to his solos. They SUCK in terms of musicality and talent, but he's changed the way every Mars Volta fan listens to a guitar and our expectations of what they should do.

#34 u-Bit

u-Bit

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4790 posts
  • Joined 22-July 07

Posted 20 July 2009 - 04:32 AM

where is this shit at?

proof?

i like this

#35 KevinC97

KevinC97

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Joined 05-September 05

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:55 AM

No one alive can even come close to Omar composing skills so in my opinion he is even more of a virtuoso than Satriani or Vai or any of them

LEL. LUL. LOL. Ever heard any of Toby Driver's work? Go pick up Kayo Dot's Choirs of the Eye and check out The Manifold Curiosity. Omar is obviously a great composer, but come on... Hope this was a joke. I'm not saying Driver is the greatest composer ever, I'm just saying, check out some other musicians... BTW, I'd place Driver's "composing skills" miles above Omar's.

#36 ctcnoble

ctcnoble

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 155 posts
  • Joined 26-April 04
  • Interests:music, audio engineering, music production, keyboard, film, cousine, art, food, fashion, style, design, alcohol, marijuana, parties, blah blah blah
  • Facebook
  • Myspace
  • Twitter

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:42 AM

omar's songs are kewler, he's a music fusion virtuoso

#37 ouirdachampine

ouirdachampine

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Joined 25-June 09

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:58 AM

Omar isn't a guitar god. He's just a fantastic songwriter. Like, f'reals, listen to his solos. They SUCK in terms of musicality and talent, but he's changed the way every Mars Volta fan listens to a guitar and our expectations of what they should do.

Yeah his solos do tend to suck musically, but he plays it with such conviction that it's hard not to dig it. His brand of shredding actually reminds me a lot of Prince, but like insanely sloppy with a nasty sounding tone. It's shitty and awesome all at once, and that to me makes Omar special.

#38 Animalitia

Animalitia

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Joined 10-August 08

Posted 21 July 2009 - 03:41 AM

No one alive can even come close to Omar composing skills so in my opinion he is even more of a virtuoso than Satriani or Vai or any of them

LEL. LUL. LOL. Ever heard any of Toby Driver's work? Go pick up Kayo Dot's Choirs of the Eye and check out The Manifold Curiosity. Omar is obviously a great composer, but come on... Hope this was a joke. I'm not saying Driver is the greatest composer ever, I'm just saying, check out some other musicians... BTW, I'd place Driver's "composing skills" miles above Omar's.

Having heard all of Kayo Dot's albums, as well as maudlin of the Well's Part the Second, I'll say that Driver is an excellent composer, but I prefer Omar's deeper compositions (Cassandra, Baphomets, Goliath) to most of Driver's.

#39 tBiGgums

tBiGgums

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Joined 02-July 09

Posted 21 July 2009 - 03:48 AM

where is this shit at?

proof?

i like this

I think it was a june or july 2008 issue, they had a list of the 100 best guitar songs and guitarist. Omar was on the cover with Eddie VanHallen, Jimmy Page, and B.B. King. Drunkship was at 91st on the list, and I don't think omar was on the list of guitarist.

But they did name TMV as the Best Prog rock band in the January 2008 issue.

I found the Jan. Issue the other day, but I can't seem to find the June Issue. At the time I hadn't heard of TMV yet so I was like "Who's this Mexican on the cover with the fro'? :afro: "

http://www.rollingst...rodriguez_lopez

#40 Destinite

Destinite

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 485 posts
  • Joined 14-April 06

Posted 21 July 2009 - 03:51 AM

I think as a guitar player, Omar really isn't that great. I think it's awesome that he's composed everything the Mars Volta have done, that's no small feat, but just bashing away on a guitar and using the untouchable explanation of "I play how I feel" is lazy IMO. I can hop on a keyboard and smash any random keys and tell you "I'm expressing myself" and I most certainly wouldn't expect you to think I'm Beethoven. I don't give a shit if he uses tritones or is inspired by a bunch of obscure and well-known artists from the past, it doesn't make him any better of a guitar player. I could name-drop until I was blue in the face and it wouldn't mean shit if I couldn't play.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users