IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

(#043) Zapopan2016-11-18

Unicorn Skeleton Mask Saber Querer Osar y Callar

• Please log in to reply
625 replies to this topic

#1 TL_

TL_

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2460 posts
  • Joined 11-October 10

Posted 07 October 2016 - 12:46 AM

NIM7kcG.jpg
  • Reap the Roots - 2:11 (Happiness)
  • Tandem Happiness - 1:08 (Happiness)
  • Fielding Souls - 1:37 (Happiness)
  • What's Left in You - 3:20 (Sea Is Rising)
  • Spell Broken Hearts - 4:00 (Spellbound)
  • If It Was a Snake It Would Have Bit You - 4:16 (Maria Te Canta?)
  • Hollow Change - 2:18 (Home Lost)
  • Archangel - 2:51 (Home Lost/Habits)
  • Harboring a Sadist - 4:30 (Careful Me)
  • Tentáculos De Fé - 3:41 (Tentaculos/Agua Dulce De Pulpo)
  • Random Bouts of Shadows - 5:41 (Storm Shadow)
Duration: 35:33

all songs written by orl
produced by orl
recorded on the e flat morgue portable unit by
sean sullivan ,jon debaun,orl
mixed and mastered by chris common
art by
layout by mackie

#2 Alpha

Alpha

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts
  • Joined 28-December 14

Posted 07 October 2016 - 02:44 AM

I want this one to sound like Xeno or some prog rock stuff...I hope this will be at least good

#3 TL_

TL_

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2460 posts
  • Joined 11-October 10

Posted 20 October 2016 - 03:40 AM

Album art:

6Py4fQ6.jpg

#4 TL_

TL_

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2460 posts
  • Joined 11-October 10

Posted 20 October 2016 - 03:49 AM

The first three tracks are all one song that you’ve probably heard. It is the track “Pi4” from those demos again. As each part of the song starts to really build and create a crescendo, the song fades out and the next track picks up 10 seconds down the song. It’s still very interesting and listenable, but I do wish the track came as a whole and showcased those top moments that get lost in transition.

The album does take a bit of a turn though at its fourth track, opening up a different sound. Let’s have a test: based on that track’s title, do you think you may know what it is? The song is titled, “What’s left in you.” Now, if you were keen enough to recognize the lyric, or scanned ahead just a bit, you’ll realize it is another version of “Sea is Rising.” This version is 100 percent the track from the demo songs, just with some extra bleeps and bloops added on top. It’s still a great song and does its job in opening up the soundscape of Zapopan.

Let’s get back to that Noctourniquet quote though. There are tracks littered through Zapopan that feel as if they belong next to “The Malkin Jewel” on some strange lost EP. “Spell Broken Hearts,” which is by far my favorite track and houses the most adorable Omar yelp, has that very distinct krautrock sound. If you told me it was a lost B-side, I’d totally buy it, no questions asked. The same goes for ways for “Harboring a Sadist,” though it may require a little more of a stretch of imagination to believe it.

http://www.verbicide...zapapon-review/

#5 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13351 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 20 October 2016 - 03:56 AM

:thumbsup_anim:

#6 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • 6807 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted 20 October 2016 - 04:13 AM

So this album most likely has properly mixed versions of Happiness, Sea Is Rising, and Spellbound?  Sign me up.  Sounds like the culmination of his synthy 2010 material.

#7 TL_

TL_

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2460 posts
  • Joined 11-October 10

Posted 20 October 2016 - 04:17 AM

So this album most likely has properly mixed versions of Happiness, Sea Is Rising, and Spellbound?  Sign me up.  Sounds like the culmination of his synthy 2010 material.

Throw in a couple more re-mixed tracks from Unicorn Skeleton Mask and this could be the best album of the twelve.

#8 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • 6807 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted 20 October 2016 - 04:26 AM

For sure.

#9 patsyinclined

patsyinclined

WHAT IS MY PROBLEM??

• Members
  • 8907 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11
  • Interests:Cross dressing
    gang bangin

Posted 20 October 2016 - 04:28 AM

I hope this has Maria Te Canta. Sounds like this might be the one we've all been waiting for. Holding out for blade runner jam

#10 hbk111

hbk111

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2846 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 20 October 2016 - 04:46 AM

Spellbound? I'm gonna say no to that one until next year. (Edit: read it again so maybe he just changed the title). Same with the 2010 live tracks.

This kinda proves the point that those records like Saber, Unicorn, Solo Extrano were more like rough idea/demo records for Omar to toy around with. And then some of these records were made shortly after once he ironed them out a bit.

#11 Andrewf

Andrewf

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3786 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 20 October 2016 - 04:47 AM

I hope it has clear "Names" and "Storm Shadow". I feel like this to "USM" is like "El Bien" to "Escorpion". Really excited for this one since USM is my favorite album. Do you guys think we will get a couple of more versions of "Sea Is Rising" in 2017?

#12 natedog807

natedog807

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2877 posts
  • Joined 11-April 11
  • Interests:I wanted to edit this, but this just seems like a lot of work. I need to do my English essay and study for my Econ final

Posted 20 October 2016 - 04:48 AM

I agree with the above post Patsy's post, Maria Te Canta is one of my favorite songs he's written and Blade Runner Jam was super cool. I really wonder what Happiness is gonna be like. Crazy that it's the opener and spread across three parts that are bridged by noises that let the next part of the song fade back in it seems? Oh well. It's gonna be a hefty wait from the not so accessible Infinity Drips, though I love the single, to the boogie woogie Weekly Mansions

#13 hbk111

hbk111

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2846 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 20 October 2016 - 04:52 AM

Maybe he's unaware of the Bladerunner and Neo dub jams. I mean he didn't seem to remember that the El Bien songs came from Escorpion, so it's possible.

He's also more into accessible Omar and kinda wrote off some of the Cell Phone Bikini material. So I kinda have high hopes for the last two in this series.

#14 zilla333

zilla333

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts
  • Joined 14-April 14

Posted 20 October 2016 - 05:18 AM

This kinda proves the point that those records like Saber, Unicorn, Solo Extrano were more like rough idea/demo records for Omar to toy around with. And then some of these records were made shortly after once he ironed them out a bit.

This doesn't prove anything. I think the opposite of what you said is true. My suspicion is what was released 1st was done so intentionally. Escorpian is a fully fleshed out album and many ppl here consider it to be top 5 Omar. El Bien is awesome but it doesn't sound fully realized the way Escorpian does imo.

Most of the new albums are mixed really well so a lot of ppl already think musically they're superior to his older stuff, specifically the albums you mentioned because they aren't mixed very well. The new stuff is solid. It definitely adds another layer to everything we already have from O. But I don't think any of it is better than his old stuff. If anything the new records give me that demo vibe with how short they are.

#15 patsyinclined

patsyinclined

WHAT IS MY PROBLEM??

• Members
  • 8907 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11
  • Interests:Cross dressing
    gang bangin

Posted 20 October 2016 - 05:46 AM

if you think Saber is a rough album you haven't listened to it enough

i genuinely believe this dude hasn't listened to any of the records that came out in 2012 or 13. He didn't mention Happiness by name, neither did he Fear Eats the Soul or Sea is Rising. surely those would be much easier/professional reference points for casual fans than a leak

#16 Andrewf

Andrewf

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • 3786 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 20 October 2016 - 07:14 AM

i genuinely believe this dude hasn't listened to any of the records that came out in 2012 or 13. He didn't mention Happiness by name, neither did he Fear Eats the Soul or Sea is Rising. surely those would be much easier/professional reference points for casual fans than a leak

here's a quote from his corazones review: "“Sea is Rising” already appeared on a previous Omar solo record, Unicorn Skeleton Mask, yet, the version of the song on Corzaones is almost unrecognizable — and brilliant". However, that doesn't mean he heard the whole USM album or listened to it more than once

#17 Andrewf

Andrewf

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • 3786 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 20 October 2016 - 08:44 AM

i assume no one still knows where the hell the new version of "spellbound" came from?

#18 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • 6807 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:07 AM

"Spell Broken Hearts" on this album sounds like it could be the new version of Spellbound.

#19 Andrewf

Andrewf

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • 3786 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:11 AM

Yeah but how it get leaked?
Im 99% its spellbound, since it has "spell","broken" and "hearts" in it's lyrics

#20 swoonlp

swoonlp

Underneath the surface

• Members
  • 3521 posts
  • Joined 12-October 13

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:43 AM

The cover is the kind of stuff that could be projected during a Godspeed You! Black Emperor live, totally fits their "black & white eerie landscape or building" theme.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Unicorn Skeleton Mask, Saber Querer Osar y Callar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users