IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

10 years of Amputechture

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6132 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Interests:Ask me about prison.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 13 September 2016 - 02:43 AM

Discuss how your life has been improved.

#2 flipzoso

flipzoso

Custom Rank

• Party Members
  • 7173 posts
  • Joined 24-October 06

Posted 16 September 2016 - 02:44 AM

Sorry we seemed to have missed this one and didn't make it visible. Go on...

#3 iamisandisnt

iamisandisnt

The joke is INSIDE the joke!

• Members
  • 13056 posts
  • Joined 09-February 06

Posted 16 September 2016 - 02:51 AM

Sorry we seemed to have missed this one and didn't make it visible. Go on...

Literally un-replyable

Amputechture framed the course of travel for me in my mid-20s

I introduced a homeless chap to it once and he slept soundly through it full blast on club speakers

It's mostly red tho some might argue blue. I'm not sure there's a way to prove who's right. Do we blame the CD art?

I love the CD art.

Omar's best work ever? I'm still speechless, 10 years on.

How bout that Mecca drum production?

#4 patsyinclined

patsyinclined

#StillNoAnswers

• Members
  • 9243 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11

Posted 16 September 2016 - 04:25 AM

a great album. i think the good thing about volta is their sound doesn't sound dated at all - which is pretty rare for prog. its pretty insane that most of their discography came out over half my life ago. 

i think this is my sisters favourite album, which in a way has soured it a bit because for almost 3 years straight i would wake up to her belting out the lyrics to Tetragrammaton and really failing to hit the high notes. then i used to listen to that song when i walked to school because it was exactly how long my walk was

Baphomets is one of the best songs they ever did. Cedric and Juan are amazing on that song

#5 scorpio

scorpio

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 5251 posts
  • Joined 13-June 05

Posted 16 September 2016 - 05:50 AM

This album came out when I was at the pinnacle of my Mars Volta mania. There are some great songs, some real diversity in the music. The coma was rockin then. I remember some fun times in the shrouded sub forum. With John A' Dreams (man of my dreams, lol very powerful, a modern day magician) and sgriska (the great and powerful herself).This is when Blake Steakhouse first made an appearance (whateveryousay back then) and got sgriska to do this really great and totally crazy interpretation. She was a mod then and has long ago deleted it. (I'm pretty sure)

Best concert I ever went to September 22, 2006 Aragon Ballroom. Those were the days my friends.

#6 Kazza3

Kazza3

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2174 posts
  • Joined 28-December 09

Posted 16 September 2016 - 10:42 AM

This is the first Volta album I heard, and also more or less the first rock album I heard, certainly the first one I went and sought out. I had grown up with jazz in the background, and a couple of years earlier began actively seeking it out, and then jazz fusion and Mahavishnu and so on. A friend of mine began trying to bring me into the 21st century, he showed me Muse, showed me Radiohead, and showed me the opening of Cygnus, and I investigated and got Amputechture (rather than Frances, because I thought Amputechture was a cool name).
At the time, I was walking to and from school most of the time, through bushland, and I constantly listened to Amp whilst doing so, not because I loved it as such, but because there was this ancient, weird, mystical quality to it, like bells being rung in Aztec pyramids, that was kind of surreal and dumbfounding, unlike anything I had ever heard, and I wanted to make sense of it. Though I can remember that feeling, unfortunately now that I'm so familiar with it, and Volta, and rock/popular music, I don't hear that quality anymore and don't get that same experience, which is a shame because it was something else. But now I just hear great music.

#7 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • 10363 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 16 September 2016 - 11:41 AM

I moved out in 2006 as a 17 year old and drowned in alcohol and weed and pills for a while. Dropped out of college.

Met this girl who would later become my gf for 7 years and now still plays bass in some of my bands tho we broke up two years ago. She introduced me to tmv. She played ftm for me somewhere in oct 2006 while we smoked weed. I borrowed the album from her and listened to it on repeat for months.

Then after april 2007 when we finally became a thing one of the first things we bought together was amputechture which had been out for a year. We also bought se dice. I remember listening to ampu for the first time while cooking for her. Instantly loved it, it became my new favourite tmv album and it still is. The same day i gave omar's self titled a try as well a manual dexterity. My then gf already had these albums. She bought them straight from omar's hands in 2005 during a concert in Amsterdam when he was living there, but that was before i knew her.

It was only after giving se dice an honest try later that year that i became obsessed with omar. There was a short period where i loved tmv but thought omar solo was a bit too much.

I basically have my omar and tmv obsession from my ex, and she is actually kinda over it haha.

Funny thing, my current gf, a few months before we became a thing, invited me and a few friends over to her apartment last year and put me in charge of the music. I saw that ampu was in her recently played albums on spotify. I jokingly asked her to marry me, she said she'd consider it. Half a year later we actually started dating and that is now almost a year ago. Romance and tmv go hand in hand in my life

#8 iamisandisnt

iamisandisnt

The joke is INSIDE the joke!

• Members
  • 13056 posts
  • Joined 09-February 06

Posted 16 September 2016 - 12:42 PM

I moved out in 2006 as a 17 year old and drowned in alcohol and weed and pills for a while. Dropped out of college.

Met this girl who would later become my gf for 7 years and now still plays bass in some of my bands tho we broke up two years ago. She introduced me to tmv. She played ftm for me somewhere in oct 2006 while we smoked weed. I borrowed the album from her and listened to it on repeat for months.

Then after april 2007 when we finally became a thing one of the first things we bought together was amputechture which had been out for a year. We also bought se dice. I remember listening to ampu for the first time while cooking for her. Instantly loved it, it became my new favourite tmv album and it still is. The same day i gave omar's self titled a try as well a manual dexterity. My then gf already had these albums. She bought them straight from omar's hands in 2005 during a concert in Amsterdam when he was living there, but that was before i knew her.

It was only after giving se dice an honest try later that year that i became obsessed with omar. There was a short period where i loved tmv but thought omar solo was a bit too much.

I basically have my omar and tmv obsession from my ex, and she is actually kinda over it haha.

Funny thing, my current gf, a few months before we became a thing, invited me and a few friends over to her apartment last year and put me in charge of the music. I saw that ampu was in her recently played albums on spotify. I jokingly asked her to marry me, she said she'd consider it. Half a year later we actually started dating and that is now almost a year ago. Romance and tmv go hand in hand in my life

<3

#9 swoonlp

swoonlp

Underneath the surface

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3630 posts
  • Joined 12-October 13

Posted 16 September 2016 - 01:43 PM

Amputechture remains my favourite TMV album to date.

And yet, still such a waste after all these years that this album never fully lived with performances featuring Jon behind the kit.

#10 whydoievenbothertoanswer?

whydoievenbothertoanswer?

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14

Posted 16 September 2016 - 05:14 PM

Unique. A classic TMV record.

My feeling towards it is perfectly encapsulated in that moment during Vermicide when Omar plays a solo over the main melody before the last chorus. Pure ecstasy.

#11 ballsmcgrath

ballsmcgrath

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1404 posts
  • Joined 17-October 10

Posted 16 September 2016 - 07:28 PM

Best album in their discography

#12 Sorrki

Sorrki

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1032 posts
  • Joined 15-May 06
  • Interests:Music, Drums, Books, Movies.
  • Twitter

Posted 16 September 2016 - 08:57 PM

I became a Mars Volta Fan during late Frances era (around the time Scab Dates cam out) so this was the first album I had to eagerly wait for. The album was originally supposed to come out in June or July and was pushed back to September, I don't remember why though, only that I was super bummed out. Asilos Magdalena leaked super early somehow (anyone know when and how that came about?) and my brother and I were listening to it for days on end on repeat. Good times indeed.

#13 Alderetism

Alderetism

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 7814 posts
  • Joined 04-September 09
  • Interests:Peace, love and bass.

Posted 16 September 2016 - 09:18 PM

I fondly remember the days when Viscera Eyes first blew up in my face. That subtle funk "wacka-wacka-wacka" guitar in the space between the riffs, that really taught me a lot about how to make music catchy and interesting. It seemed like magic to me, I didn't know anything about music.

Baphomets, I can still play the bass solo up until the 32 note flurry begins pretty well. Inspiring and demoralising at the same time.

And yes, we certainly blame the CD cover. It's so red! and orange!

#14 Ghost Of Shark Horse

Ghost Of Shark Horse

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1690 posts
  • Joined 15-June 15

Posted 16 September 2016 - 09:36 PM

Romance and tmv go hand in hand in my life

That's as rare as rocking horse shit.

#15 brucef

brucef

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 144 posts
  • Joined 26-February 16

Posted 16 September 2016 - 09:36 PM

I think this: 'Amputechture is an album from Salsa y puro corazon'  :happy:

#16 Bane Fubar

Bane Fubar

Twat.

• Members
  • 32781 posts
  • Joined 16-February 07

Posted 17 September 2016 - 12:37 AM

Pros:

-A quality follow up to 2003's Deloused and 2005's FTM, which showed another unique side the band can show. Concept album? Not quite as much as their first two records, but it featured a lighter heart to the melodies they were capable of producing.

-A showcase of Omar's time spent in Amsterdam, where he maximized added members

-Last album with Storm Thorgeson's artwork (although it was never used)

Cons:

-Led to the departure of JT, who quit before the album's release, hence no tour with him. Drums are clearly turned down on tracks like Tetragrammaton. JT said he was "sick" of playing in the band and was ready to walk, which shows the downside to Omar's tireless work ethic.

-Cedric's vocals are too often masked with filters and effects, hinting at what eventually became a loss in vocal quality, which clearly peaked in 2005 in live sets, and never recovered.

#17 espio13

espio13

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Joined 01-February 09

Posted 17 September 2016 - 01:43 AM

This album is seriously still one of the best albums ever made. I can hear it a million times, and it still never gets old. It's so rare to find music that does that. I got into volta a couple months after the album was released. I was in my friends car hotboxing a couple of hours after ingesting some fungi, and he wanted to show me the mars volta. He put on francis and at first it was a little much, but soon I couldn't get enough of it. Then he showed me deloused right after, which seemed much more accessible and I remember it being so melodic. The next day, I went and got both francis and amp, and my friend said he didn't like amp because it was to weird, so I put it on later that night after getting really baked, and I just fucking fell in love. I loved the first 2 albums, but amp is what truly made me fall in love with this band. I'll always hope that they get back together and make an album of this caliber, but in my heart, I know nothing will ever be this perfect. 

#18 pimpollo

pimpollo

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 210 posts
  • Joined 16-October 09

Posted 17 September 2016 - 03:20 AM

Amputechture was my first Mars Volta album. I must have been in tenth grade, 2006? It blew me away. Fortunately for me their music still retains Punk otherwise I would have been put off. I still hold it as my favorite of the bunch. Vicarious Atonement has grown on me so much, it's my go to when Miranda doesn't do the job when trying to catch nightmares.

#19 olympusmons

olympusmons

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Joined 25-April 06

Posted 17 September 2016 - 01:41 PM

I remember when this came out, I was trying to get over my then finance and I breaking up (a miserable experience that sent me into a depression). I was in a little bit of an emotionally raw state, and I mostly stayed to myself for awhile. This album gave my brain an outlet to escape. I'd go on long walks listening to it. I learned all the bass parts. Would come here to read all of the lyric interpretations. Never thought this album was any less than the 1st 2-- such a great start for a band to have Deloused, Frances and Amp as your 1st 3 (full length) albums! 

For many of my favorite records, there are certain seasonal ties that for me give them added flavor. Amputechture has that late summer/early fall vibe for me, perfect to listen to in the weeks leading up to Halloween, that wonderful spooky essence their music had back then.

Such a fantastic album.

#20 Alderetism

Alderetism

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 7814 posts
  • Joined 04-September 09
  • Interests:Peace, love and bass.

Posted 17 September 2016 - 04:03 PM

Breaking up from your finance is always tough. :/

Great story, lovely bass parts!