IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

10 years of Amputechture

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#41 temporal lob

temporal lob

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Joined 02-September 13

Posted 09 October 2016 - 02:28 PM

When Amp came out, somehow I didn't even know it had been released.

I got into O & C when Relationship of Command came out. I got DITC and loved it.

Francis came out, and I thought it was not quite as good the first one.

Then my hours got cut at work to part time. I was trying to keep up with my mortgage payments, and didn't have money to buy records.

I stopped paying attention to new releases by any band for a few years.

I saw The Volta won a Grammy for TBIG and picked it up. It's still my favorite album by them. I just love how hard hitting and relentless it is.

Then I was listening to the local college radio station, and the DJ played Meccamputechture.

WTF is this? A couple years late to the party. LOL

This album is as good as any of the first four. 

The last part of Tetragrammaton still rubs me the wrong way though. I get what snkzato is saying about the humor/joke aspect of it, but It just bothers me every time I hear it.

#42 natedog807

natedog807

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2910 posts
  • Joined 11-April 11
  • Interests:I wanted to edit this, but this just seems like a lot of work. I need to do my English essay and study for my Econ final

Posted 09 October 2016 - 05:06 PM

Finally reading this. Two paragraphs in and I'm loving the read. It's pretty insightful in that I didn't get to experience these albums as they were released, I took in TMV at my own pace so I can imagine how insane the first listen of Amp was for everyone, fans, diehards, casuals.

#43 Ghost Of Shark Horse

Ghost Of Shark Horse

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1617 posts
  • Joined 15-June 15

Posted 09 October 2016 - 07:58 PM

It was a great time. 

#44 vanzetti

vanzetti

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1280 posts
  • Joined 30-June 03

Posted 10 October 2016 - 05:56 AM

the best

#45 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5789 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14
  • Interests:Friend of cats and foxes.

Posted 10 October 2016 - 01:57 PM

It confused the hell out of me and took 6 years to appreciate its genius.

#46 iorch82

iorch82

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts
  • Joined 01-January 10

Posted 14 October 2016 - 01:08 PM

What to be said that has not been said here already.  My entry point to TMV, my favourite album - by far - from them. Probably, into my 3 favourites albums of all time.

Omar's playing literally put my guitar perception upside down. I was kinda into shredders back then, but that tone,those evil pentatonic riffage and soloing, mixed with his atonal approaches, blew my mind literally. The purity and the total sincerity of his approach...wow.

All mixed with such fantastic band, that proggy atmosphere  full of wind instrument layers, some modulations here and there, the genius of mixing languages,Cedric's awesome performance, ridicoulus drum beats & bass lines... Oh god.  Wish I could reproduce  the feelings of those 5 - 10 first listenings of the album.

#47 hbk111

hbk111

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2972 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 14 October 2016 - 03:00 PM

It blew your mind literally? Like, literally?

#48 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • 10106 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 14 October 2016 - 04:49 PM

Was also thinking that haha

#49 pb125

pb125

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3354 posts
  • Joined 20-October 05

Posted 14 October 2016 - 09:52 PM

The release of amputechture was definitely the peak of my volta obsession. 

I remember being involved in the leaking of the album. I was... 15 years old I think, pulling legit all-nighters while i scoured all the p2p services, most notably soulseek which had chat rooms. For some reason, and I have a hazy memory of this time, soulseek is where the the tracks leaked first. Vermicide, then Asilos were the first to leak, and I quickly got bombarded with pm's from people on this board to which I happily supplied megadownload links to the tracks.

Does anyone here remember the soulseek chat room? I honestly couldn't even say who I talked to in there, but it was maybe a group of 10-20 people staying up all night and one person dropping in to leak tracks one at a time.  It's such a weird, distant memory for me now, but I remember it fondly. 

I remember when the rest of the album finally leaked, I had pulled yet another all nighter staring at my computer screen, and was racing the clock cause I had to catch a bus to the beach (i still wasn't old enough to drive!). I loaded it onto my green ipod mini as fast as I could and remember hearing tetragrammaton for the first time as the bus went through a canyon in Malibu. 

It's rare that I'm able to remember moments of my life as vividly as the first time I heard Tetragrammaton. Needless to say it's still my favorite Volta song by a longshot. 

#50 espio13

espio13

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Joined 01-February 09

Posted 15 October 2016 - 03:03 AM

The release of amputechture was definitely the peak of my volta obsession. 

I remember being involved in the leaking of the album. I was... 15 years old I think, pulling legit all-nighters while i scoured all the p2p services, most notably soulseek which had chat rooms. For some reason, and I have a hazy memory of this time, soulseek is where the the tracks leaked first. Vermicide, then Asilos were the first to leak, and I quickly got bombarded with pm's from people on this board to which I happily supplied megadownload links to the tracks.

Does anyone here remember the soulseek chat room? I honestly couldn't even say who I talked to in there, but it was maybe a group of 10-20 people staying up all night and one person dropping in to leak tracks one at a time.  It's such a weird, distant memory for me now, but I remember it fondly. 

I remember when the rest of the album finally leaked, I had pulled yet another all nighter staring at my computer screen, and was racing the clock cause I had to catch a bus to the beach (i still wasn't old enough to drive!). I loaded it onto my green ipod mini as fast as I could and remember hearing tetragrammaton for the first time as the bus went through a canyon in Malibu. 

It's rare that I'm able to remember moments of my life as vividly as the first time I heard Tetragrammaton. Needless to say it's still my favorite Volta song by a longshot. 

dude I loved reading this. Tetra is still one of my favorites too. Bedlam is the album I'll never first forget because I was busy hanging out in the lysergic dimension lol. But amp to this day...its just so god damn unique

#51 grim13

grim13

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts
  • Joined 14-October 03

Posted 17 October 2016 - 10:37 AM

Strange, I was on SoulSeek too and dropped a few single songs, it was really a cool moment.

#52 Fonz

Fonz

Truth soldier

• Members
  • 8235 posts
  • Joined 13-October 06
  • Interests:Writing, Music, Film.
  • Facebook

Posted 22 October 2016 - 03:36 AM

Brilliant album to this day

#53 xpgno

xpgno

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4686 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 22 October 2016 - 11:10 AM

Mediocre at best

#54 hbk111

hbk111

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2972 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 26 October 2016 - 09:24 PM

F you.

#55 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • 10106 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 27 October 2016 - 12:31 AM

In the a

#56 patsyinclined

patsyinclined

#StillNoAnswers

• Members
  • 9114 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11

Posted 27 October 2016 - 01:45 AM

mputechture came philistine praise bottomless pit of empty names

#57 Future Markets

Future Markets

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Joined 19-September 14

Posted 27 October 2016 - 09:04 PM

To this day, my main password for most websites is a combination of the WWII photograph the cover art is based on and a number.

Still a great album, and still my favorite of theirs; Frances is a close second, though, as it was my first introduction to the band.

Strange to remember back on how much of fanboys my friends and I were back then. It faded around our senior year of high school, though, as we all kind of hated Thomas Pridgen. It was weird showing up to college having known this band for years and basically thinking that the only fans of the band were on this website or my small group of five or so friends from high school and meeting people in the dorms who also knew the band and liked them. It was one of the first bonding moments I had with my freshman group of friends who remain my besties to this day.

And now we hardly listen to them at all, and only to reminisce. Such strange days those were.

#58 Fonz

Fonz

Truth soldier

• Members
  • 8235 posts
  • Joined 13-October 06
  • Interests:Writing, Music, Film.
  • Facebook

Posted 31 October 2016 - 01:35 PM

I occasionally still listen to a whole album here and there while I work.

#59 Ocnarfable

Ocnarfable

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 09-December 19

Posted 09 December 2019 - 03:14 PM

I really love this album, probably my favourite by the band. But nobody seems to talk about the awful mixing, and how the album has a really shitty audio quality. Does anybody also feel this way?

#60 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • 10106 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 09 December 2019 - 05:01 PM

I mean we talked about that 13 years ago a lot actually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users