IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

MadlibA Comatorium Invazion

• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

#61 ELEPHANTe

ELEPHANTe

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1224 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:18 AM

The Unseen > The Further Adventures

#62 3flip

3flip

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Joined 30-April 05

Posted 07 October 2006 - 03:25 AM

The term "fag nigga bullshit" comes to mind here...

It's all about the Mobb, the Wu, Snoop, SmIf-N-wEsSuN, Jeru The Damaja, NaS, Dr. Dre, Biggie Smalls, Eazy Motherfuckin' E, Capone n Noreaga, Ice Cube, Da Lench Mob, Organized Konfusion, Heltah Skeltah, Boot Camp Clik, Warren G, Nate Dogg, The D.O.C., Ice-T, Too $hort, Tha Alkaholikz, AZ etc etc

and absolutely no one under 40

#63 Nixon08

Nixon08

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts
  • Joined 03-April 05

Posted 07 October 2006 - 04:22 AM

It's all about the Mobb, the Wu, Snoop, SmIf-N-wEsSuN, Jeru The Damaja, NaS, Dr. Dre, Biggie Smalls, Eazy Motherfuckin' E, Capone n Noreaga, Ice Cube, Da Lench Mob, Organized Konfusion, Heltah Skeltah, Boot Camp Clik, Warren G, Nate Dogg, The D.O.C., Ice-T, Too $hort, Tha Alkaholikz, AZ etc etc

What, are you stuck in the 90's? Hopefully you're just talkin shit.

#64 activenike

activenike

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3873 posts
  • Joined 10-January 05
  • Interests:rollerblading

Posted 07 October 2006 - 10:58 AM

You guys are all so elitist about a genre of music that, when it's boiled down, speaks of acceptance and understanding. I'm not sure what you consider "familiar with" but I've listened to everything from Nas to Del to Black Star to Dead Prez, even the more radio friendly groups such as Hiero, J5, and Blackalicious. I can enjoy hiphop just as much as you can, and learn something from it just as everyone else has the right to. You can't just deny me my opinion because you think I'm naive about what I'm talking about. So the fuck what if I like white MC's more, sure they didn't create hiphop, nor do they relate to the vast majority of what black MC's are saying, but that's what I like. It seems to me as white MC's get far more generalized here that black ones do.

Oh, and thanks to everyone who recommended me some Madlib to start with, oh wait..

It's perfectly fine if you prefer white mcees, you're free to prefer whatever race or gender mcee you please. The problem comes when you say that all black mcees speak about is being from the street, race issues, unjust governments, and oppression when that's completely absurd. Don't you see how you're generalizing an entire race by makng it seem as though they don't have their own indivdual personalities and orignal ideas and thoughts? Theirs nothing bizarre or strange that an anticon artist has ever said or done that wasn't said or done first by Kool Keith or O.D.B., their's no poetic devices they've used that weren't already put to use by Rakim or Aceyalone, their's nothing funny they've said that's topped anything said by the pharcyde, De La Soul, or Biz Markie, there's no crew they've constructed that will ever top Ultramagnetic Mcs or The Wu-Tang Clan, and as far as I'm concerned the greatest producer making hip-hop music at this moment is the man this thread is dedicated to. I'm not trying to say one is better than the other, but it's crazy to say that all black mcees have to offer is stories about their struggles. Now it would be nice if we could end this mcee race war and get back to appreciating the brilliance that is Madlib.

done and done.

#65 Bleach_My_Utero

Bleach_My_Utero

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • 3720 posts
  • Joined 02-May 05

Posted 07 October 2006 - 11:18 AM

Quasimoto is one of my favorite hip hop albums.

getting Shades of Blue soon.

#66 Nixon08

Nixon08

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3446 posts
  • Joined 03-April 05

Posted 07 October 2006 - 11:28 AM

I heard Madlib smokes a little bit of weed here and there.

#67 Damo_Suzuki

Damo_Suzuki

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 154 posts
  • Joined 08-September 05
  • Interests:Pwnage<br />Avant garde music<br />Conforming to anti-conformity<br />Hip hop
  • Myspace

Posted 07 October 2006 - 11:35 AM

and absolutely no one under 40

I'll add in Dalek, El-P and OneBeLo to make you feel better. Don't wanna turn into the WCW of hip hop...

#68 hottnikkels

hottnikkels

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7911 posts
  • Joined 07-December 03
  • Interests:Art, Girls, Music

Posted 07 October 2006 - 11:41 AM

Well then shouldn't The Mars Volta be considered "fag nigga prog bullshit?"

This guy's salsa dancing in his bedroom and singing along to "The Widow" and then calls us fags for listening to Madlib, what a joke.

Here's a little Yesterday's New Quintet for the Madlib supporters:

Life's Angles

Palladium Extro

I am singing

And one track from "Sound Directions"

The Horse

#69 Simmsm88

Simmsm88

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1124 posts
  • Joined 30-June 03

Posted 07 October 2006 - 11:44 AM

Wow this thread is hilarious.

#70 Damo_Suzuki

Damo_Suzuki

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 154 posts
  • Joined 08-September 05
  • Interests:Pwnage<br />Avant garde music<br />Conforming to anti-conformity<br />Hip hop
  • Myspace

Posted 07 October 2006 - 11:44 AM

Well then shouldn't The Mars Volta be considered "fag nigga prog bullshit?"

This guy's salsa dancing in his bedroom and singing along to "The Widow" and then calls us fags for listening to Madlib, what a joke.

No.

The Mars Volta doesn't consist of pretentious, preachy idiots like Common looping John Coltrane, in the belief that this shows their intelligence, and speaking in cliched, misguided ways about 'black issues' that only keep segregation intact. Plus, TMV aren't boring as fuck.

I LOOP DA JAZZ

It's not big, and it's not clever

#71 hottnikkels

hottnikkels

• Members
  • 7911 posts
  • Joined 07-December 03

Posted 07 October 2006 - 11:59 AM

No.

The Mars Volta doesn't consist of pretentious, preachy idiots like Common looping John Coltrane, in the belief that this shows their intelligence, and speaking in cliched, misguided ways about 'black issues' that only keep segregation intact. Plus, TMV aren't boring as fuck.

I LOOP DA JAZZ

It's funny how you complain about jazz loops, yet you give praise to artists that thrived off of jazz samples like Wu-Tang (Rza) and Jeru the Damaja (primo). And Dr. Dre, Warren G, and Nate Dogg don't speak in cliched ways?? You've gotta be kidding me. You also might be the first person ever to not consider the mars volta pretentious.

#72 Damo_Suzuki

Damo_Suzuki

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 154 posts
  • Joined 08-September 05
  • Myspace

Posted 07 October 2006 - 12:11 PM

No.

I LOOP DA JAZZ

It's funny how you complain about jazz loops, yet you give praise to artists that thrived off of jazz samples like Wu-Tang (Rza) and Jeru the Damaja (primo). And Dr. Dre, Warren G, and Nate Dogg don't speak in cliched ways?? You've gotta be kidding me. You also might be the first person ever to not consider the mars volta pretentious.

Wrong - RZA uses loops in an original, innovative way - he doesn't just loop a critically-acclaimed artist in obvious, boring fashion to receive brownie points for his INTELARJUNSE.

The mentioned gangsta rappers are at least original and interesting, there is a charm to their ignorance, the likes of Common are just boring and played-out-like-jheri-curls. It's the ugly head on collision of cliche and psuedo-intellectual pretentions that defines "fag nigga bullshit"

Pretense is no bad thing in itself, I differentiate however between pretentious music that can't deliver on its aspirations (pricks like Mos Def) and G shit that can (TMV).

#73 hottnikkels

hottnikkels

• Members
  • 7911 posts
  • Joined 07-December 03

Posted 07 October 2006 - 12:46 PM

Wrong - RZA uses loops in an original, innovative way - he doesn't just loop a critically-acclaimed artist in obvious, boring fashion to receive brownie points for his INTELARJUNSE.

The mentioned gangsta rappers are at least original and interesting, there is a charm to their ignorance, the likes of Common are just boring and played-out-like-jheri-curls. It's the ugly head on collision of cliche and psuedo-intellectual pretentions that defines "fag nigga bullshit"

Pretense is no bad thing in itself, I differentiate however between pretentious music that can't deliver on its aspirations (pricks like Mos Def) and G shit that can (TMV).

J Dilla produced a good amount of Common's work. Are you suggesting that Dilla wasn't original and innovative? I'm not gonna defend every producer that Common's ever worked with, and I agree that Rza and Primo are amazing, but your comments are just really opinionated and in the end don't hold that much weight. So I don't really see any point in debating this any longer.

I have to ask you though, have you ever even really listened to Madlib before? I mean, if your looking for originality and innovation when producing a beat based on jazz samples you're just not gonna find anything that tops what Madlib does. That's one of the things he's most famous for. Almost all of his beats are based on jazz, soul, funk, and reggae. He says his ultimate goal is to be as innovative as possible using all forms of black music. He's mainly a producer, but when he raps he isn't preachy or pretentious at all. He mostly talks about getting blunted, listening to music, and stuff like that. I don't know, I just get the feeling it's possible that you haven't fully investigated madlib's various works.

#74 Baboon

Baboon

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2640 posts
  • Joined 26-February 05
  • Interests:Derrida.

Posted 09 October 2006 - 10:23 AM

well, i certainly know nothing about hip hop in the same respects as you guys, so i'm gonna just say my piece and skulk away quietly. i love MF Doom, so something tells me i need some Madvillainyyyyyy, also i have to say that just from the Chrome Children cd/dvd, his lyrical capacity (Madlib's) is good, so, when i have some cash (i don't download) it's off the the record store for me. long live the beat konducta. and in the words of Space Ghost, ''it isn't Doom Coast-To-Coast, it's Space Ghost Coast-To-Coast''.

#75 hottnikkels

hottnikkels

• Members
  • 7911 posts
  • Joined 07-December 03

Posted 09 October 2006 - 04:19 PM

i love MF Doom, so something tells me i need some Madvillainyyyyyy

If you're already a fan of Doom, but are yet to hear "Madvillainy," you're in for quite a treat.

#76 Nixon08

Nixon08

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3446 posts
  • Joined 03-April 05

Posted 10 October 2006 - 05:48 AM

No.

I LOOP DA JAZZ

I've never liked Common. Just felt like mentioning that, well, I think he sucks.

#77 activenike

activenike

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • 3873 posts
  • Joined 10-January 05
  • Interests:rollerblading

Posted 10 October 2006 - 05:53 AM

this isn't really madlib related, but i've been searching for copy of operation doomsday for some time now and i finally got it. and it is definitely my favorite doom album. also, don't know if this has been mentioned already...but anyone who likes madlib's beats should check out all the special herbs instrumental albums released by doom (you might find them listed under the artist name 'metal fingers')

#78 hottnikkels

hottnikkels

• Members
  • 7911 posts
  • Joined 07-December 03

Posted 10 October 2006 - 02:38 PM

Highly recommended 60 minute Madlib DJ set from 2001.

Tracklist:

1 Papa - Joe McDuphrey Experience
2 Misdemeanor - Amhad Jamal
3 Freedom Jazz Dance - Eddie Jefferson
4 Almustafa The Beloved - Billy Cobham & George Duke Band
5 F*** The Police (Edited) - Jay Dee
6 The Sun (feat. Dwele) - NSM
7 Gettin' High - Eddie Warner
8 Back On The Block - Pete Rock & CL Smooth
9 Beej N Dem - Slum Village
10 Windy C - 100% Pure Poison
11 Back In The Country - Hurricane Smith
12 River People - Weather Report
13 Just Came To Say Goodbye (Intro) - Shawn Phillips
14 Cat - Teruo Nakamura
15 Tohubohu - Marc Moulin
16 Thoughts Of Old Flame - Pleasure
17 Hustlers Convention - The Last Poets & Kool & The Gang
18 (Unknown track)
19 Two Sides - NSM
20 Trash Da Junk - Da One Way
21 (Unkown track)
22 Maiden Voyage - Kellee Paterson
23 Think Twice - J Dilla (Jay Dee)
24 Moment Of Truth - Earth Wind & Fire
25 Life's Angles - Yesterdays New Quintet
26 Jealousy - Tony Allen
27 Gypsy Woman - Curtis Mayfield
28 Good Vibrations - Roy Ayers
29 Atma Tomorrow - Michael Urbaniak
30 (Unkown track)
31 Do Drop In - Love Unlimited Orchestra
32 Vera Cruz (Empty Faces) - Flora Purin
33 Tell Me a Bedtime Story - Herbie Hancock

Madlib - Live At Chocolate City

#79 Nixon08

Nixon08

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3446 posts
  • Joined 03-April 05

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:05 AM

I love that he played some Weather Report ^

#80 Baboon

Baboon

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2640 posts
  • Joined 26-February 05
  • Interests:Derrida.

Posted 11 October 2006 - 12:09 PM

this isn't really madlib related, but i've been searching for copy of operation doomsday for some time now and i finally got it. and it is definitely my favorite doom album. also, don't know if this has been mentioned already...but anyone who likes madlib's beats should check out all the special herbs instrumental albums released by doom (you might find them listed under the artist name 'metal fingers')

indeedy, got the 3 disc limited thingy. although at times i reckon it sounds like 'cartoon elevator music'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users