IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Good Moderation RundownUseful for the forums I moderate

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#61 Solomon and his Shoes

Solomon and his Shoes

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 241 posts
  • Joined 02-June 08

Posted 11 June 2008 - 07:49 AM

hey look what I found, some fine (fela kuti style) gentleman wrote a nice piece on the search function

The way to avoid repetition is simple - use the search function. But to many people, the search page is a mysterious, horrifying place. Much like Theory's Vagina™.

But I'm here to tell you, it doesn't have to be! The search button can be one of your best friends, and can actually serve more than one purpose, including:

• finding threads on a specific subject.
  • finding threads where certain subjects have been mentioned.
  • finding a thread where you said something specific (when you can't remember what thread you said it in).
  • finding a thread where another member said something specific (when you can't remember what thread they said it in).
This function is much easier to use than it apparently seems to some people. First off, if you can't fill in every box, don't worry! none of these are mandatory except the first.

Search For Keywords:
-This is most important box, because it's where you type in the words you want to find. Most people don't know how to use it, though, even though the directions are right below (Enter a keyword or phrase to search by). use AND in between words you definitely want included in the search. if you're not sure, though, don't hesitate to put OR in between these words. that way, the site will look for one or the other. Generally, the more words you connect with AND, the better your search will be.

Search For an author (Member Name):
-Do you know who said the quote you're looking for? Well then, fill it in here! this is optional, however using this function, is usually a good idea if you don't want to be searching though inadmissible posts. make sure you select Match Exact Name.

Forum and Category:
-Search Where is the more specific. If you want to search for a subject that you know isn't in the Mumblings (or just plain don't want to search through those) then why go through the forum?! Filter them out using the Forum functions.

Result Type:
-This is a simple tool. Are you looking for entire threads or individual posts? adjust this function accordingly.

Search posts from...:
-This handy little function lets you pick how far back in time you want thecomatorium to search for your phrase. If you're not picky (or if your search is already pretty clear) you can leave this baby alone. But if you want that extra clarity in your search, click the down arrow and choose how far back you want to go. Because hey, if you're looking for something you typed yesterday, why should you search in posts from half a year ago?

Search Where:
Search entire post or titles only?
-Are you looking to search for entire topics to span your precisely defined keywords or just a thread with a specific title? Leave the top option checked if you want to search for both topics and threads, or click the bottom if you know you'll be searching for a thread.

Sort results by...:
-This option allows you to pick how you want the results to be presented to you. This is another function for picky people. Arrange your results by Last Posting Date, Number of Replies, Poster Name, Forum Name.

Ascending order or Descending ordeer
-The descending option will be checked. Leaving the Sort By option on "Last posting date" and "descending" checked will tell thcomatorium to allow you to view results with the most recent on top.
Options involving letters will return A-Z results with "ascending" checked, while checking "descending" will give you Z-A results.

--SEARCH!
-There! You've scanned all the available ways of narrowing a search, so it's time to click that button and get your results! (This message brought to you by the letter e and the number 2.71828183)

when I use the search function I stop breathing and it's like being illuminated by a lamp, as a nebulous cloud drifting around the chestnut kingdom in the summertime.

If you follow this guide, you can be like me and have mastered the search function, then you can find these groovy quotes through the vast depths of the archaic coma.

The way to avoid repetition is simple - use the search function. But to many people, the search page is a mysterious, horrifying place, much like Theory's vagina.

But I'm here to tell you, it doesn't have to be! The search button can be one of your best friends, and can actually serve more than one purpose, including:
  • finding threads on a specific subject.
  • finding threads where certain subjects have been mentioned.
  • finding a thread where you said something specific (when you can't remember what thread you said it in).
  • finding a thread where another member said something specific (when you can't remember what thread they said it in).
This function is much easier to use than it apparently seems to some people. First off, if you can't fill in every box, don't worry! none of these are mandatory except the first.

Search For Keywords:
-This is most important box, because it's where you type in the words you want to find. Most people don't know how to use it, though, even though the directions are right below (Enter a keyword or phrase to search by). use AND in between words you definitely want included in the search. if you're not sure, though, don't hesitate to put OR in between these words. that way, the site will look for one or the other. Generally, the more words you connect with AND, the better your search will be.

Search For an author (Member Name):
-Do you know who said the quote you're looking for? Well then, fill it in here! this is optional, however using this function, is usually a good idea if you don't want to be searching though inadmissible posts. make sure you select Match Exact Name.

Forum and Category:
-Search Where is the more specific. If you want to search for a subject that you know isn't in the Mumblings (or just plain don't want to search through those) then why go through the forum?! Filter them out using the Forum functions.

Result Type:
-This is a simple tool. Are you looking for entire threads or individual posts? adjust this function accordingly.

Search posts from...:
-This handy little function lets you pick how far back in time you want thecomatorium to search for your phrase. If you're not picky (or if your search is already pretty clear) you can leave this baby alone. But if you want that extra clarity in your search, click the down arrow and choose how far back you want to go. Because hey, if you're looking for something you typed yesterday, why should you search in posts from half a year ago?

Search Where:
Search entire post or titles only?
-Are you looking to search for entire topics to span your precisely defined keywords or just a thread with a specific title? Leave the top option checked if you want to search for both topics and threads, or click the bottom if you know you'll be searching for a thread.

Sort results by...:
-This option allows you to pick how you want the results to be presented to you. This is another function for picky people. Arrange your results by Last Posting Date, Number of Replies, Poster Name, Forum Name.

Ascending order or Descending ordeer
-The descending option will be checked. Leaving the Sort By option on "Last posting date" and "descending" checked will tell thcomatorium to allow you to view results with the most recent on top.
Options involving letters will return A-Z results with "ascending" checked, while checking "descending" will give you Z-A results.

--SEARCH!
-There! You've scanned all the available ways of narrowing a search, so it's time to click that button and get your results through the vast depths of the archaic coma!

#62 Solomon and his Shoes

Solomon and his Shoes

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 241 posts
  • Joined 02-June 08

Posted 11 June 2008 - 07:52 AM

I mean it does help to know what you're looking for though obviously

#63 nardo

nardo

Lord of the Links

• Dictator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6218 posts
  • Joined 21-July 03

Posted 11 June 2008 - 03:20 PM

hey look what I found, some fine (fela kuti style) gentleman wrote a nice piece on the search function

Yep, that post is in the FAQ as well:
http://www.thecomato...showtopic=26715

Just in case people have more questions that have been answered quite a few times already.

#64 ubergonzo

ubergonzo

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Joined 01-February 04
  • Interests:hmmm.
  • Myspace

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:22 AM

nardo.

i feel privileged that you still use one of my post as your sig :)

that was a long time ago, it gives me coma cred. yaa

#65 spoonbend

spoonbend

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Joined 15-August 06

Posted 11 July 2008 - 03:40 PM

I would like some key examples of how the moderation team has breached these guidelines.

I nearly always contact a member before deleting posts, unless it's just outright spam. Also, every time a member is warned, an e-mail/PM is sent to them in which there is an explanation of why the action was taken.

That isn't to say that we could all use these guidelines and follow them more. But I don't really think there's been a severe absence of thought in relation to things like this, either.

I can't speak for the other moderators, but I will admit to any failure you pin on me.

Never got a bad vibe from you...it's that damn Flipzoso!!! I think he secretly listens to Adult Contemporary !

#66 spoonbend

spoonbend

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Joined 15-August 06

Posted 11 July 2008 - 03:53 PM

went through whole thread...all I can say is...This beard is AWESOME!!!!
http://www.thecomato...p...=106131&hl=

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users