IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Have Your SaySeriously there is no reason to close this

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#61 lv42swordmaster

lv42swordmaster

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3771 posts
  • Joined 18-January 06
  • Interests:Guitar<br />SNES<br />Movies<br />Music<br />blahlblahblahlah

Posted 25 October 2007 - 12:12 PM

hey level fourty two swordmaster

why don't you start your own board if you are so goddamn bored and annoyed with what happens on this one

this is not your little project to SPICE UP whenever you damn well feel like it

you are a child and your view on how things should be run is childish

ILU. <3

seyon and STE were chosen as moderators because they are big contributors and are doing their jobs and doing it well. it might look easy but moderating is sadly not as enjoyable and simple as it might seem. especially when you have 10,000 people to look after and stand up to when you make moderating decisions. or even just a core group of 40 or 50 people who scrutinize your every choice. also i can't imagine what kind of work would actually get accomplished if the moderating team is a constant revolving door. the best team can work together for long periods of time and develop rhythms. shifting new people in and out does not seem ideal in any way. we are here because we love the coma and want to shape it and make it something that will last. the reality is that it is impossible to make every single one of you happy...so get over it. you aren't going to like everything that is done here but you are all free to take up every issue with one or all of the moderators. you aren't being ignored and we do listen and discuss your opinions. you can report posts or just contact one of us directly. the point of the forum isn't to be spiced up..the whole concept sounds incredibly lame to me but you might think otherwise. it's a good thing we're separate people and can have our own individual opinions. a lot of the current board changes have been requested by users like the side projects forum and spoiler forums for the new albums. without the multitude of subforums we have (which were set into place to aid navigation and ease of members) this place would be chaos.

if you are upset about the closed threads then we can make it so none of you can see them...but we most often leave closed threats there because it keeps people from making the same threat 3 or 5 times because they think the server ate it or it just suddenly disappeared like MAGIC. so you don't want closed threats but you insist on making the same threat over and over? someone will have to compromise because you can't have it both ways.

ps - site suggestions isn't just for moderators/admin. it's suggestions you think will make the site better. so...logically this threat belongs in site suggestions because it is.....suggestions for the site.

the thing you aren't getting, is that by having things be what the majority want would please far more thana few suggest and the mods deem reasonable. "the reality is that it is impossible to make every single one of you happy...so get over it" i think that's a flawed argument. how would voting not cater to the tastes of more people than what a select few decide ? i don't see much reason in that

also, i haven't really complained about any close threads and i even said earlier on i approve of what every mod is doing
i just think a better job could be done
oh, and of course modding isn't easy
if by some miracle this election thing goes through i wouldn't run

also, again, maybe for you a static team is the best thing, but a dynamic revolving team would in my mind keep things fresher. instead of having the same old stale mods you'd have newer people who's love for the coma is fresher and they're excited about modding and helping the place out. take note, all current mods would stay in place

also, again 129eu0sad. "a lot of the current board changes have been requested by users like the side projects forum and spoiler forums for the new albums. without the multitude of subforums we have (which were set into place to aid navigation and ease of members) this place would be chaos" i understand why you bolded that but you're point is moot. i'm suggesting democracy. see first argument

#62 Sara

Sara

dead so i've played to merely turn him on

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13615 posts
  • Joined 21-July 03
  • Interests:I should have loved a thunderbird instead; <br />At least when spring comes they roar back again.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 25 October 2007 - 12:32 PM

actually i wasn't using the post to respond to you since this whole threat.....not about you. i read every post and was responding to them the best i could instead of making individual posts to address each point raised. the current moderating team is actually quite new, it's only been in place for maybe two months.

the comatorium has never been a democracy, from the very beginning there was always someone running it and being the boss over the members. it didn't used to be so many people but then the board was much smaller so it wasn't necessary. all message boards have a creator and someone who is in charge, someone assuming liability for the message board and the words written.

and we have had mod elections in the past. it didn't always turn out so well.

i also don't believe that we are a select few catering to the needs of a select few....but with at least 300 people posting regularly every day it is impossible to satisfy everyone because on most issues people feel 50/50...and so no matter what you do it will not and cannot please everyone. if i don't like oranges but you do....and the coma is serving orange juice i'm going to be unhappy and youa ren't. but amplify that to 10,000 people.

#63 lv42swordmaster

lv42swordmaster

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • 3771 posts
  • Joined 18-January 06

Posted 25 October 2007 - 12:55 PM

actually i wasn't using the post to respond to you since this whole threat.....not about you. i read every post and was responding to them the best i could instead of making individual posts to address each point raised. the current moderating team is actually quite new, it's only been in place for maybe two months.

the comatorium has never been a democracy, from the very beginning there was always someone running it and being the boss over the members. it didn't used to be so many people but then the board was much smaller so it wasn't necessary. all message boards have a creator and someone who is in charge, someone assuming liability for the message board and the words written.

and we have had mod elections in the past. it didn't always turn out so well.

c....but with at least 300 people posting regularly every day it is impossible to satisfy everyone because on most issues people feel 50/50...and so no matter what you do it will not and cannot please everyone. if i don't like oranges but you do....and the coma is serving orange juice i'm going to be unhappy and youa ren't. but amplify that to 10,000 people.

i actually didn't assume you were replying to me specifically, though plenty of the issues addressed were ones i've argued earlier

so ok

"but with at least 300 people posting regularly every day it is impossible to satisfy everyone because on most issues people feel 50/50"
yes it is impossible to satisfy everyone, i agree 100%
i think more people would be satisfied, though
i don't know where you get the 50/50 numbers from but whatevs

"i also don't believe that we are a select few catering to the needs of a select few"
i do, mostly because mods generally look at who will be mod next
when tira me needed a new mod recently the posters got to elect a new mod. it seems that section isn't doing too bad
i just don't see why in real life, people love democracy (or democratic principals, at least), but in things like this, for some reason, people want a dictatorship
a community is a community, with people who have certain wants.

i want a couple reasons why elections wouldn't work out

ps- im enjoying the discussion

#64 Seyon

Seyon

High Five! ヘ( ^o^)ノ\(^_^ )

• Members
  • 5026 posts
  • Joined 29-August 04
  • Interests:CrossFit, Video Games, Awesome fucking music
  • Facebook

Posted 25 October 2007 - 02:57 PM

Elections eh? Here's 3 reasons why it won't work out:

1. You'd have to nominate 3 willing people
2. People would have to vote for all 3 of them with a vast majority of Yes's.
3. None of the people who fit the above 2 criteria would make a better mod than Anavidovic (and Ana is the epitome of how not to mod well)

And a fourth just for shits and giggles:

4. The 3 people who get elected will probably pussy out after not too long

I list #4 because it really is true. All the active mods here are people who either really love this board, and in the case of two primary TMV-forum moderators (that would be STE and I), really love this band. All we want to do is spread the love, and make this a warm, welcoming, and enjoyable place for everyone who comes. Having really disorganized forums/threads, and letting hateful or spammy posts just stay up makes this place look really bad. Like, really, really bad. And it eats up a huge chunk of my Coma-usage time to try and keep things organized and under control, time I'm willing to sacrifice only because I love this band so much.

#65 lv42swordmaster

lv42swordmaster

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • 3771 posts
  • Joined 18-January 06

Posted 25 October 2007 - 03:03 PM

i love you seyon

#66 fintan

fintan

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts
  • Joined 05-February 06

Posted 25 October 2007 - 03:34 PM

Look.... there's only one way to fight the power, so to speak, and it ain't pretty...
someone sleep with theory n get his password.
Take one for the team

ROFLMAOLOLZLOLOLZOL

#67 wolveman

wolveman

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2670 posts
  • Joined 26-February 05

Posted 25 October 2007 - 03:39 PM

Elections eh? Here's 3 reasons why it won't work out:

1. You'd have to nominate 3 willing people
2. People would have to vote for all 3 of them with a vast majority of Yes's.
3. None of the people who fit the above 2 criteria would make a better mod than Anavidovic (and Ana is the epitome of how not to mod well)

And a fourth just for shits and giggles:

4. The 3 people who get elected will probably pussy out after not too long

I list #4 because it really is true. All the active mods here are people who either really love this board, and in the case of two primary TMV-forum moderators (that would be STE and I), really love this band. All we want to do is spread the love, and make this a warm, welcoming, and enjoyable place for everyone who comes. Having really disorganized forums/threads, and letting hateful or spammy posts just stay up makes this place look really bad. Like, really, really bad. And it eats up a huge chunk of my Coma-usage time to try and keep things organized and under control, time I'm willing to sacrifice only because I love this band so much.

Hey Seyon, would it be possible in the future to have community chosen mods? Leave things as they are for now, and leave them functioning as they do. At some point though this place is likely to grow and we may need new mods. Some mods may also give up their mod-ship. I would assume generally when new mods are chosen, it isn't just one mod that is considered and then picked. Rather it's a group of people considered and then one chosen (inform me if this is an incorrect assumption). I think having only two mods in the main forum is ridiculous enough as it is now, but when the new album comes out I think it'll be more trouble than just two people should have to be responsible for. If new mods are to be chosen, would it not make some sense for a vote to take place. Allow those being considered to be chosen however they were before, but once that list is narrowed down, I see a vote functioning well.

Regardless, I think the current mods to a fairly good job, and don't make any amount of mistakes more than I would at my best. My point is to neither detract from the job that you have done or to insult, complain, or just "fuck with" you guys. This discussion is happening though, so lets discuss.

Regards,
Logan

P.S. One good thing that has come of this thread is that I think more people actually go to the suggestions forum now. I was one that 'knew' it was there but never 'realized' it was there. A lot of people have complaints (some legitimate and many not) about how certain things work or are run, and it will be better for this forum if those are channeled into the proper area for discussion as seems fit.

#68 lv42swordmaster

lv42swordmaster

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • 3771 posts
  • Joined 18-January 06

Posted 25 October 2007 - 03:43 PM

im with quail man imo

#69 trevbrochill

trevbrochill

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 248 posts
  • Joined 27-August 07
  • Interests:Writing music, Jamming, Super Smash Bros and Guitar Hero.
  • Facebook

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:10 PM

dood- the coma has been messed up lately. who cares if some topics are closed dood- they are meant for a quick, good laugh not to be up for ever. and its the internet, come on. are you really truely upset about stuff like a topic being closed. seriously- wakeup. its not a big deal. stop fighting the power on a forum and move it to somewhere useful.

my first act as moderator would be banning everyone who talks like this

but he has somewhat of a point. Yall should spend your time writing to your congress about Darfur or some shit. Better yet, why we should elect Steven Colbert to fix our country after going downhill since 2000. Or working your way to Level 43...better yet LEVEL 44

haha im not like a noob bro. i say dood like that all the time because i like it better than dude. settle down.

#70 Seyon

Seyon

High Five! ヘ( ^o^)ノ\(^_^ )

• Members
  • 5026 posts
  • Joined 29-August 04
  • Interests:CrossFit, Video Games, Awesome fucking music
  • Facebook

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:18 PM

Well I thought I just explained my thoughts with community-chosen mods (it's the same thing as voting for mods). I just don't think it will work out that well. From what I've observed since I became a mod:

1. Mods who haven't been active for a long time get de-modded. See: D-i-a-n-a

2. New mods get promoted when there is enthusiams from all 3 parties: the communtiy, the other mods, and the new mod in question. In my case, I hadn't even thought about being a mod, but I had made a thread in here with a long list of valid complaints, and pretty soon a regular user from the community were suggesting to sgriksa that I take over for her, since she was leaving, sgriska agreed, they both asked me about it, I thought about it for a few days, decided it was worth it, and pretty soon after I was Shrouded mod, nardo and I agreed that I should mod the whole TMV side of the forum. It was a very natural, organic process, and most people seem to happy with the outcome.

I think forced outcomes, like elections, really don't work out for the best here. This is not an American Democracy. It's a message board community with a few members who care enough to keep it running, and those members are naturally singled out and put in charge.

#71 lv42swordmaster

lv42swordmaster

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • 3771 posts
  • Joined 18-January 06

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:57 PM

i think youre all missing the point
democracy is the only solution kill iraqis 666 im done im going to bed

#72 Eduard E. Bola

Eduard E. Bola

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2097 posts
  • Joined 02-July 06

Posted 25 October 2007 - 06:00 PM

i dunno. i'm fine with the way mods are running things. no offense, but shit gets pretty ridiculous on the mars volta section of this website, and even if the thread starts out as something worth while, often times the replies just turn the thread into useless bullshit. not to mention the fact that most people do just talk about the same thing and make different threads for them. and to be honest, i don't understand why people get so butt-hurt (hate using that term, but I think it's appropriate) when their thread gets closed. did you really need to talk about it that badly?

i know i haven't been on the board too long, but i think i have a pretty good idea of what's going on here, and the truth is that there are a lot of idiots who flood this place with a lot of useless shit. not everyone is going to be happy with every decision, but i hardly think the mods are running some fascist dictatorship here.

i'm sure that we're all gonna be okay.

#73 bard

bard

gomp

• Members
  • 11063 posts
  • Joined 18-March 05
  • Myspace

Posted 25 October 2007 - 09:13 PM

too many words in here imo.

see you in drunkship

#74 Carruthers

Carruthers

GRAWRRR IM A GRIZZLY BEAR

• Members
  • 8481 posts
  • Joined 22-July 03
  • Interests:Me and you.<br />Your momma and your cousin, too.
  • Myspace

Posted 25 October 2007 - 11:20 PM

you wanted three people who i think should be mods, and i gave you them
i want three reasons why this place shouldn't have elected mods

1 you wouldn't let a five year old choose what it wants to eat because it will choose candy bars for every meal and will eventually die from malnutrition and/or diabetes

2 you wouldn't let a fifteen year old become a school prinicipal because he or she will abolish homework and order the termination of all the teachers and then those kids will get stupider

3 you wouldn't let a junkie housesit for you because when you get home you will find all of your stuff gone and people you don't know asleep or dead in your living room

#75 feelsgoodman

feelsgoodman

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 5210 posts
  • Joined 04-June 05
  • Interests:MUSIC

Posted 26 October 2007 - 12:27 AM

dood- the coma has been messed up lately. who cares if some topics are closed dood- they are meant for a quick, good laugh not to be up for ever. and its the internet, come on. are you really truely upset about stuff like a topic being closed. seriously- wakeup. its not a big deal. stop fighting the power on a forum and move it to somewhere useful.

my first act as moderator would be banning everyone who talks like this

but he has somewhat of a point. Yall should spend your time writing to your congress about Darfur or some shit. Better yet, why we should elect Steven Colbert to fix our country after going downhill since 2000. Or working your way to Level 43...better yet LEVEL 44

haha im not like a noob bro. i say dood like that all the time because i like it better than dude. settle down.

trevbro

chill

#76 Bambii

Bambii

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3492 posts
  • Joined 21-August 07

Posted 26 October 2007 - 02:53 AM

i think youre all missing the point
democracy is the only solution kill iraqis 666 im done im going to bed