IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

(#047) Roman Lips2017-01-13

Octopus Kool Aid

• Please log in to reply
259 replies to this topic

#241 iamisandisnt

iamisandisnt

The joke is INSIDE the joke!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11520 posts
  • Joined 09-February 06

Posted 20 January 2017 - 04:59 PM

There's definitely some Queens of the Stone Age vibes on this album

#242 Deni

Deni

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1224 posts
  • Joined 20-November 05
  • Interests:LEGO, Music, Marketing, Movies

Posted 20 January 2017 - 11:13 PM

Im not satisfied with this album. It just sounds too random and like a bunch of outtakes from other albums or sessions. For example He Gave me a key, yeah about or to need something all sound cut out from something.

still nobodies sounds like he resang over some other version

In general his singing on most of the songs sound so boring. Like he sang everything in half an hour and never even tried to think of some melodies or to interpret it like he cares.

Still, I dig Roman Lips & Bitter Tears

To conclude, listenable, but leaves me cold. Mediocre comapred to everything else.

#243 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • 6435 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted Yesterday, 12:01 AM

I kind of feel the same way to be honest.  I don't think it's a bad album but I overhyped it too much for myself based off of the samples.  Usually samples are a pretty good indication of how an album is going to be, but a lot of the songs are just too short and some almost sound incomplete.  It feels like 14 quick ideas, but not fully developed songs (with the exception of a few songs).  I also think, again with the exception of a few songs, these might be his worst vocals of the Ipecac series so far.  Again, not a bad album, just not quite what I was hoping for.  First two songs are excellent though.

#244 goliathsoctahedron

goliathsoctahedron

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Joined 12-June 09

Posted Yesterday, 07:43 AM

WM is his worst vocals this series for sure, I don't have any problem with them here!

#245 hbk111

hbk111

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1861 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted Yesterday, 08:35 AM

His vocals on WM are pretty awesome for the most part. Better than Lovejoy and Aranas in my opinion.

#246 PliskinTMV

PliskinTMV

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Joined 02-March 12

Posted Yesterday, 09:40 AM

I kind of feel the same way to be honest. I don't think it's a bad album but I overhyped it too much for myself based off of the samples. Usually samples are a pretty good indication of how an album is going to be, but a lot of the songs are just too short and some almost sound incomplete. It feels like 14 quick ideas, but not fully developed songs (with the exception of a few songs). I also think, again with the exception of a few songs, these might be his worst vocals of the Ipecac series so far. Again, not a bad album, just not quite what I was hoping for. First two songs are excellent though.

Agreed. Great album but top 5-6 of the series imo. Good ideas but partially developed, songs are too short and some are just boring.

'Don't Fight Back', 'Yeah About That, About That', 'Souless Doubts' and 'What Could Give Did Not' are just forgettable imo

#247 Germán F.

Germán F.

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1972 posts
  • Joined 24-October 06

Posted Yesterday, 02:39 PM

Well the good thing is this series has something for everyone. I like every song on this album and is up there with the best of this run.

#248 hbk111

hbk111

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1861 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted Yesterday, 03:25 PM

Least favorite track is Yeah About that, about that. It's weak and random.

Soulless Doubts has dope verses but everything else in that song brings the tune down, especially the vocals. So I'll put it in the middle of the pile. I'll either make my own edit or I'll just have to get used to it.

Don't Fight Back is OK (catchy filler). To Need Something is OK (Omar gets out of hand at the end). Roman Lips is OK (solid opener but you place it anywhere else and it feels a bit generic). I like these songs just fine but don't love them.

Tracks I LOVE: Sequester Chagall, Bitter Tears, Upon Golden Ice, He Gave Me a Key to Nothing, Deadlight, Still Nobodies, An Informal Youth, What Could Give Did Not, Fishtank.

Safe to say, I'm a big fan.

#249 iamisandisnt

iamisandisnt

The joke is INSIDE the joke!

• Members
  • 11520 posts
  • Joined 09-February 06

Posted Yesterday, 04:38 PM

I don't get it? WM has some of the best vocals, definitely the best lyrics. I sing along to that shit. Then again, I sing along to Bitter Sunsets off SNIL, too...

But seriously, this album is quite awesome. I'm surprised. Is it just because the songs are contained, short and such? No jamming and no bridges? Personally, I hardly noticed. The songs rule. I listen to this a lot :D

#250 hbk111

hbk111

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1861 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted Yesterday, 05:38 PM

The shorter the better most of the time. Quality over quantity. I prefer feeling "that was great, I want to hear it again!" Rather than "I'm exhausted, I dont need to hear that song for a while".

Weekly Mansions has some of the best vocals from Omar in this series. Some of you need crazy pills.

#251 Unt1tled

Unt1tled

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 221 posts
  • Joined 16-June 08

Posted Yesterday, 07:00 PM

Upon Golden Ice is so TMVish

#252 hbk111

hbk111

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1861 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted Yesterday, 09:12 PM

I love Omar on the first half so much but imagine Cedric on that shit? Classic.

#253 Andrewf

Andrewf

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1731 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted Yesterday, 09:15 PM

I love Omar so much but imagine Cedric on that shit? Classic.

every Omar solo album ever

#254 jugoednaranja

jugoednaranja

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • Joined 13-November 15

Posted Yesterday, 09:22 PM

Bitter Tears is one of the best songs of this series

#255 xpgno

xpgno

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3888 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted Yesterday, 11:05 PM

The recent work by Omar is weird, it's almost like he's imparting a philosophy with the song structure and the way they deliver these very non-pop sentiments in a pop format ("find a hole/bury yourself in promises that were never realized"). It doesn't even seem like it's meant to be listened to or be enjoyed, but more like something that was done for his own vindication which we've been given a peek at. I don't find the new albums very accessible, in the sense of the context of the songs is very abstract. They don't belong to any particular time period or geographical location, and the presentation of them is very cold and sterile, in the sense of Omar has standardized his recording technique and format, so every song is cut from the same cloth, so to speak. It's like he's opening access to this whole other world of sound and thought, but not offering much in the way of a bridge to get there. I'm wondering if this inaccessibility will lessen with time or if it will be the opposite and they will remain in this odd, placeless, timeless limbo. 

#256 cracknowledge101

cracknowledge101

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1395 posts
  • Joined 29-October 04

Posted Yesterday, 11:27 PM

samples had me pumped for this, it's good but it's about on par with lovejoy. listenable, catchy enough, nothing too special.

#257 hbk111

hbk111

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1861 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted Yesterday, 11:30 PM

I think that's the point. Well I think you're overthinking it, but I get what you're saying. Omar doesn't make music to be heard or enjoyed by others. It's all an exercise, fun for himself in his own house, and sometimes a way to blow off steam, get random ideas out of his head.

Sometimes it feels like he's worked on the melodies and grooves and then a chorus comes out of nowhere that makes no sense when you throw it over that music. Sometimes it all fits. Sometimes it sounds completely random and nothing accessible whatsoever. But it's ALWAYS been this way. A mixed bag.

#258 cracknowledge101

cracknowledge101

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1395 posts
  • Joined 29-October 04

Posted Today, 05:43 AM

im just spoiled. i keep hoping for something on par with the first handful of albums of the series. but of course those got the most love from me because they were rain after drought. whatever

#259 Deni

Deni

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1224 posts
  • Joined 20-November 05
  • Interests:LEGO, Music, Marketing, Movies

Posted Today, 09:55 AM

Yeah... these songs were never ment to be released. What we whipe about is a potential that we all see behind these albums. If only he mixed it better, if only he didnt sing, if only there werent any fillers or songs were longer...

This is more of a diary reading than anything else

#260 pehjott

pehjott

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Joined 24-March 05

Posted Today, 10:46 AM

Yeah... these songs were never ment to be released. What we whipe about is a potential that we all see behind these albums. If only he mixed it better, if only he didnt sing, if only there werent any fillers or songs were longer...

This is more of a diary reading than anything else

I disagree

Umbrella Mistress,Corazones,Zapopan and NDGC are finished coherent works as much as Xenophanes.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Octopus Kool Aid

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

toa