IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Algiers

Algiers Post-punk Soul blues Gospel band

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 swoonlp

swoonlp

Underneath the surface

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3521 posts
  • Joined 12-October 13

Posted 09 June 2015 - 08:19 PM

From their Matador's label page:

The debut LP by Algiers is haunted by promises of the past: the rapturous call and response of millenarian gospel, the bellowing urgency of 60s protest soul, the scene-searching intensity of DC hardcore and the smeared viscosity of post-punk and no wave. After all, as Marx once said: “The tradition of all dead generations weighs like a nightmare on the brains of the living.” But rather than revel in a state of nostalgia, the band wields these burdened visions to charge headlong into the future.

Over the album’s eleven tracks, these three émigrés of the American Deep South lay waste to appropriators, oppressors, revivalists and the cultural shock troops of capitalism. Vocalist Franklin James Fisher’s every shriek and incantation will take you from the sweaty fervor of Dennis Edwards-era Temptations through the righteous rebellion of Nina Simone to the solitary midnight howls of PJ Harvey. Shards of Lee Tesche’s guitar, along with Ryan Mahan’s bass pulses and synthesizer slashes, pierce through the processional, transforming neo-modernist hymns with explosions of foreboding and dread that evoke the vanguard of pop experimentation from Suicide to Roland S. Howard.

In an era when political subjectivity and human connectivity have been smashed to pieces by the demands of finance capital, Algiers has taken its stance: to maintain fidelity to these subversive spirits and trudge toward the light. While they may never arrive at their destination – consigned to a life of wandering – they conjure the dead sound to life in frightening new directions.

Fb: https://www.facebook...theband?fref=ts

Site: http://algierstheband.com/

Amazing blend of genre, Soul, Blues, Gospel, Post-Punk, Worldbeats. This trio delivers a pretty significant 1st LP, one of the most interesting debut albums I've heard this year and even from the past few years I must admit.

If you like Iceage, Screamin' Jay Hawkins or Nick Cave, give this band a shot, you wont regret it

#2 Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Joined 27-April 09

Posted 12 December 2017 - 04:25 PM

What about the second album ? I didn't have the chance to listen to it yet but I'm looking forward to. I'm still listening to the first one quiet often, discovered thanks to this thread.

#3 Ghost Of Shark Horse

Ghost Of Shark Horse

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1323 posts
  • Joined 15-June 15

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:37 PM

They have a good youtube video playing live in a studio, which I think sounds better than recorded. I'm not a fan of their drums/drum machines on their records but live they know how to throw down.

edit: 

https://youtu.be/AwKc8ksuysY 

#4 swoonlp

swoonlp

Underneath the surface

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3521 posts
  • Joined 12-October 13

Posted 14 December 2017 - 10:09 AM

They're taking things a bit further in the second album, same vibe, sounds and lyrics but the band experiments a bit more with standards/catchy hooks in a couple songs,
adding piano either in the background or as the core of the track, different kind of voice sample.

I do like the drumming on the album but Matt Tong is incredible live. I must admit these guys are super intense live, got the chance to catch a secret show in Paris and we were maybe 100, 150 and
they really gave  a splendid performance !

#5 shiggityshwo

shiggityshwo

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 223 posts
  • Joined 20-August 08

Posted 18 December 2017 - 07:13 AM

Don't know if any album truly stands out this year as being my favorite, but this one's definitely in the running 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Algiers, Post-punk, Soul, blues, Gospel, band

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users