IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

What does the Mars Volta mean?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Theory

Theory

The Butcher

• Founding Father
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13781 posts
  • Joined 29-June 03

Posted 07 January 2004 - 07:52 PM

CEDRIC BIXLER - The 'Volta' is taken from a (Frederico) Fellini book about his films, what he characterises as a changing of scene, a new scene to him is called 'Volta'. Y'know, changing of time and the changeover. And 'Mars', we're just fascinated by science-fiction so' and it's something that ultimately looked' as in anything I write, it's meaning is always up to the listener. As the way we write songs and words, if it looks great on paper then to us it's like painting, so if it looks good meaning the second then people usually have a better interpretation than we ever would.

#2 D-i-a-n-a

D-i-a-n-a

Moo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15808 posts
  • Joined 24-March 04

Posted 22 February 2005 - 12:35 PM

A slightly different explanation (probably their newer interpretation) comes in the MTV Brazil interview, taken in January 2005 (you can watch it here).

Interviewer:"The Mars Volta", where did that name come from?
Omar: The word "Volta" I found in a book on Federico Fellini, that's a word that he just kept using.
Interviewer: A book about him?
Omar: Yeah, and I just thought it was an interesting word. It means a turn around in music, it means the other side, it's a river, it's the sixth line in a sonet where the writer contradicts himself. And Mars comes from Greek mythology, the god of war.

Note: Mars is actually the Roman God of War.

Edited by Cybrid, 16 March 2005 - 02:09 PM.

#3 ۞ biЖid ۞

۞ biЖid ۞

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Joined 13-October 06

Posted 16 October 2006 - 06:40 PM

Hi there.
Pherhaps thereĀ“s no much to add to this comments.
Well,iĀ“m from latin America and i can tell you that "Volta" is a portugese word and it means,in spanish: vuelta.In english,like Omar said: turn around.

#4 Guest_DoS_*

Guest_DoS_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 17 November 2006 - 02:39 AM

the Volta is also a river.

#5 3three3

3three3

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Joined 21-February 05

Posted 30 November 2006 - 11:47 PM

Note: Mars is actually the Roman God of War.
[/quote]

Surely Omar would know this? Why would he make such a basic mistake? Do you think he did it on purpose? Sorry if I'm trying too hard to find something here...

#6 gallant_sloth

gallant_sloth

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1349 posts
  • Joined 12-July 06

Posted 07 May 2007 - 10:21 PM

The phrase volta do mar, in Portuguese, means literally turn of the sea

i thought that might have something to do with it maybe

there is also a band named Volta do Mar

Sorry if that is old news

#7 Knight_Wrriter

Knight_Wrriter

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1643 posts
  • Joined 26-March 07

Posted 09 June 2007 - 03:34 AM

useful info...

nice info

#8 jTrippy

jTrippy

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts
  • Joined 26-August 07

Posted 09 September 2007 - 11:14 PM

A slightly different explanation (probably their newer interpretation) comes in the MTV Brazil interview, taken in January 2005 (you can watch it here).

Interviewer:"The Mars Volta", where did that name come from?
Omar: The word "Volta" I found in a book on Federico Fellini, that's a word that he just kept using.
Interviewer: A book about him?
Omar: Yeah, and I just thought it was an interesting word. It means a turn around in music, it means the other side, it's a river, it's the sixth line in a sonet where the writer contradicts himself. And Mars comes from Greek mythology, the god of war.

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Note: Mars is actually the Roman God of War.</span>

Who are they kidding? The stole the name from another band, Mars Volta. They just added "The" in front of it, there's nothing original about it. You can't convince me that that two bands could have possibly come up with such a uniquely weird name completely independent of each other. Not that it matters - the music is what's important, and they've far surpassed any thing the first Mars Volta did.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users