IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

(#014) Cryptomnesia2009/05/05 - Zach Hill, Jonathan Hischke, Cedric, Juan

• Please log in to reply
2034 replies to this topic

#1981 espio13

espio13

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Joined 01-February 09

Posted 07 September 2016 - 05:03 AM

I thought Wavves with Zach had potential because it essentially would have turned Zach's drums into the lead instrument. I thought his thrashy playing in those live shows was awesome and carried the music.

I see where you are coming from.  I'd imagine something akin to the Bygones EP, but faster and a bit surfier.  As much as I enjoy Death Grips I do hope he goes back to doing other projects at some point.  It's strange to imagine there is now a large cohort of music fans who don't know he was doing Hella 10 years ago....

I hope he does something else to. Ive tried getting into death grips, they just dont appeal to me at all. I hella miss Hella. They were so god damn good! Zach's solo stuff was amazing too. Who can forget classics like second life and necromancer?!

#1982 patsyinclined

patsyinclined

#StillNoAnswers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9050 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11

Posted 07 September 2016 - 05:50 AM

yeah Jenny Death and Bottomless Pit were kinda bad imo. NotM really was them 'at their best'

I remember he made a facebook post about wanting to do more Hella, and Nick has talked about doing bygones again. a boy can dream

#1983 natedog807

natedog807

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2891 posts
  • Joined 11-April 11
  • Interests:I wanted to edit this, but this just seems like a lot of work. I need to do my English essay and study for my Econ final

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:18 AM

Hella came out with a single back in 2013/14 right? I remember prominent use of organ. Espio, have you tried The I.L.Y's to get that ZH itch? Way more tame, but the second album is getting pretty close to some of the hectic shit touched on by Zach

#1984 patsyinclined

patsyinclined

#StillNoAnswers

• Members
  • 9050 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:20 AM

Hella came out with a single back in 2013/14 right?

nah it was just a Joyful Noise 7" as part of that flexidisc series they do. it was from the 666 sessions i think

#1985 natedog807

natedog807

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2891 posts
  • Joined 11-April 11
  • Interests:I wanted to edit this, but this just seems like a lot of work. I need to do my English essay and study for my Econ final

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:22 AM

Ah, damn, never mind, yeah they're dead as af, with Spencer all into cars and his kids, and Zach in the portal that's on the The Powers That B.

#1986 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 5771 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Interests:Ask me about prison.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 07 September 2016 - 12:36 PM

Hella came out with a single back in 2013/14 right? I remember prominent use of organ. Espio, have you tried The I.L.Y's to get that ZH itch? Way more tame, but the second album is getting pretty close to some of the hectic shit touched on by Zach

2nd on ILYs.  The first album had maybe 3 good songs, but the second album is really good with some classic Zach Hill moments.

#1987 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 5430 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14
  • Interests:Friend of cats and foxes.

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:09 PM

The sample conversation with the guy recounting his story about going into "the most holy mosque" twatted off his nut on hashish... As he's telling the story, a woman gasps audibly. I've always imagined that it's a Ximena gasp, and her astonished face at this tale of rapturous transgression. So cute.

#1988 Shoko Asahara

Shoko Asahara

神の子羊

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Joined 29-November 08

Posted 18 November 2017 - 03:07 AM

I think that voice is Cedric pitch-shifted up. In the beginning of the sample, Cedric (I’m quite sure it’s him) utters a pretty clear “uh-huh” as a response to the speaker, and a second “uh-huh,” this time pitch-shifted, punctuates the bit about kneeling up and down to pray.

imo

but regardless it does have a bright-eyed, naive, bubbly affect that’s super charming and perversely complentary to crypto’s chaos

#1989 A.N.Other

A.N.Other

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3025 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09

Posted 18 November 2017 - 05:12 AM

Isn't it Ralph Jasso?

#1990 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 5430 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14
  • Interests:Friend of cats and foxes.

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:33 AM

I think that voice is Cedric pitch-shifted up. In the beginning of the sample, Cedric (I’m quite sure it’s him) utters a pretty clear “uh-huh” as a response to the speaker, and a second “uh-huh,” this time pitch-shifted, punctuates the bit about kneeling up and down to pray.

imo

but regardless it does have a bright-eyed, naive, bubbly affect that’s super charming and perversely complentary to crypto’s chaos

Why would you pitch shift the gasp alone? And why would $1000/week weed-habit Cedric balk at the mention of hashish?

#1991 Ghost Of Shark Horse

Ghost Of Shark Horse

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1467 posts
  • Joined 15-June 15

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:42 AM

imo

Why would you pitch shift the gasp alone? And why would $1000/week weed-habit Cedric balk at the mention of hashish?

I always thought it was Ximena but who says "you just want me to say that, didn't you?!"

Still wish they toured this. Shame Zach broke his foot :(

#1992 Andrewf

Andrewf

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4214 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 18 November 2017 - 02:07 PM

What about the shine dialogue? Is it omar and someone else?

#1993 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • 9973 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 18 November 2017 - 02:27 PM

O and c

#1994 smotherfucker

smotherfucker

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 06-May 19

Posted 08 June 2019 - 04:22 AM

Still best Omar album by far. Hill is a mf beast, saw him play with Bella once with about 14 people in the crowd and he blew my mind with what he was working with, 1 snare, 2 toms, bass and hi-hat and a crash/ride. So glad I bought the vinyl when it came out too cuz I've never seen it since. Anybody heard if he's ever gonna release the rest of the recordings. And here's my vote for ZH to be TMVs new drummer!!!!

#1995 Ghost Of Shark Horse

Ghost Of Shark Horse

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1467 posts
  • Joined 15-June 15

Posted 08 June 2019 - 11:12 AM

Still best Omar album by far. Hill is a mf beast, saw him play with Bella once with about 14 people in the crowd and he blew my mind with what he was working with, 1 snare, 2 toms, bass and hi-hat and a crash/ride. So glad I bought the vinyl when it came out too cuz I've never seen it since. Anybody heard if he's ever gonna release the rest of the recordings. And here's my vote for ZH to be TMVs new drummer!!!!

I think Cathy from Sargent House said there wasn't much else recorded, just ideas etc. Apparently Crypto was pieced together by Omar from bits of jams from the session(s). I'm not sure if the Mantra album was from those same sessions or not. I would think Dandelion or Neil (Mataxia) would know more...

Fucking great album though. I think Cedric did such a great job of weaving melody over the music. I think it should have been released as a TMV EP instead of Octahedron.

#1996 Palo Alto

Palo Alto

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Joined 24-November 07

Posted 08 June 2019 - 05:23 PM

Surprised it's still cheap on vinyl tbh. 

#1997 A\/\/

A\/\/

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Joined 09-December 18

Posted 08 June 2019 - 06:17 PM

Because 3000 copies were made, which is the second largest SH/RLP vinyl pressing, surpassed only by Octahedron & Noctourniquet (5000 each), while the record itself has always been kind of obscure in the wider world.

#1998 Palo Alto

Palo Alto

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Joined 24-November 07

Posted 09 June 2019 - 09:34 AM

Yeah 3000 seemed a decent run alright. Remember it was everywhere at the time. How many did your standard ORL release get on SH? 500 to 1000?

#1999 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3613 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 09 June 2019 - 02:37 PM

tycho, solar, and cizana were 750 i think because they were EU exclusives 

#2000 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 5771 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Interests:Ask me about prison.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 09 June 2019 - 04:24 PM

I think Cathy from Sargent House said there wasn't much else recorded, just ideas etc. Apparently Crypto was pieced together by Omar from bits of jams from the session(s). I'm not sure if the Mantra album was from those same sessions or not. I would think Dandelion or Neil (Mataxia) would know more...

Fucking great album though. I think Cedric did such a great job of weaving melody over the music. I think it should have been released as a TMV EP instead of Octahedron.

Nick Reinhart posted at one point that this album is a bunch of tiny chunks edited together, which when you listen makes a lot of sense.  This album was made in the editing room.  I get the sense this was just hours of jamming cobbled together into something coherent with some periodic overdubs by Omar.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users