IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Flying LotusBrilliant, Robotic, Instrumental Hip-Hop

• Please log in to reply
321 replies to this topic

#1 hottnikkels

hottnikkels

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7911 posts
  • Joined 07-December 03
  • Interests:Art, Girls, Music

Posted 12 October 2006 - 09:15 AM

1983lores.jpg

Flying Lotus - 1983

Recently Nixon 08 turned me onto "1983," which is a pretty amazing album created by Steven Ellison a.k.a. Flying Lotus. While his music will instantly draw comparisons to Prefuse 73, Aphex Twin, Dabrye, and J Dilla, what I hear on this album seems unique to me. It's got the electronic flourishes and crunches of Prefuse, the ambience of early Aphex Twin, the soul and funk of Dilla, and the break-beat of Dabrye. Maybe it's how he brings that all together that makes it so different. The samples are broken up beyond recognition, the few vocals are hidden beneath layers of abstract sounds (excluding the final track), and the rhythms are skewed and distorted. But for music with no pulse, their's also a lot of life. As futuristic and robotic as the album is, every song is accessible and manages to get your head nodding. It's space-age funk for the 21st century, and it's clear that this guy has an ear for music. Which would make sense seeing as he's the cousin of Ravi Coltrane, and the great nephew of John and Alice Coltrane, so I guess you could say it's in his blood. This music may not be for everyone, but for those that "get it," I think you'll find it worthy of a spot on your year's best list.

Here are a a couple tracks off the album:

Hello

You can checkout one more song off the album entitled "Pet Monster Shotgalss," and a few of his other songs on his myspace. The beat for "R2D2" is brilliant.

I only found a few reviews, but they're all positive:

OkayPlayer
CokeMachineGlow
Boomkat

#2 rashikal

rashikal

legendary

• Members
  • 9999 posts
  • Joined 03-December 05

Posted 12 October 2006 - 09:51 AM

I really like this

#3 Nixon08

Nixon08

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts
  • Joined 03-April 05

Posted 12 October 2006 - 10:29 AM

Yes, definitely for fans of Prefuse and even Madlib. The complexity is mindboggling, but the beats are pin point accurate (even if they don't appear that way at first listen) which is really a unique combination.

I need to spend some more time listening to this one though. It demands repeated spins.

#4 Stalktheground11

Stalktheground11

The Bling Bling Voyager Version 3.2

• Members
  • 14170 posts
  • Joined 11-November 03
  • Interests:ROLLERBLADING

Posted 12 October 2006 - 12:57 PM

Holy shit. I'll have to get my hands on this...Thanks, guys.

#5 hottnikkels

hottnikkels

• Members
  • 7911 posts
  • Joined 07-December 03

Posted 12 October 2006 - 05:02 PM

This guy says that he likes to think of each of his songs as short films, and I can totally see that on tracks like the opener and "Pet Monster Shotglass." My only complaint with the album is that the Daedelus remix at the end, while a decent track, probably should have just been a b-side. That's only a small complaint though and certainly doesn't detract much from it's greatness.

This isn't exactly the easiest album to find, so i'll be sharing this one on soulseek for those interested.

soulseek: hottnikkels

I do encourage people to buy it though if they like it, which you can do here

#6 Lacerda

Lacerda

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1577 posts
  • Joined 02-April 04
  • Interests:peace, love, and chimay.

Posted 12 October 2006 - 08:35 PM

yup, def one of my favorite plug research artists

#7 Stalktheground11

Stalktheground11

The Bling Bling Voyager Version 3.2

• Members
  • 14170 posts
  • Joined 11-November 03
  • Interests:ROLLERBLADING

Posted 12 October 2006 - 08:35 PM

I just put it an order. I'm really pumped - from the samples, this sounds right up my alley.

#8 Nixon08

Nixon08

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3446 posts
  • Joined 03-April 05

Posted 13 October 2006 - 05:21 AM

I'm not gonna lie - this is my favorite hip hop release this year. But as you guys probably know already, I'm kinda partial to instrumental albums. I'm pretty biased actually.

This isn't exactly the easiest album to find, so i'll be sharing this one on soulseek for those interested.

soulseek: hottnikkels

I need to grab this from you so I can have it on my computer here at work. I don't have a way to rip my copy.

#9 Nixon08

Nixon08

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3446 posts
  • Joined 03-April 05

Posted 13 October 2006 - 08:43 AM

'Babble' into 'Pet Monster Shotglass' is my favorite part of the album. Unexpected delight is also very, very good. Shit, the whole album is good. I'd even go so far as to say that it's better than anything Prefuse 73 has ever put out, and that's saying a shitload because 'One Word Extinguisher' was fucking incredible. But '1983' is just breathtaking. One of the most beautiful albums I've heard all year, and it's growing on me more and more with each listen.

And you can buy it from iTunes also.

#10 portugalwhoa

portugalwhoa

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts
  • Joined 04-August 06
  • Interests:music. soccer. skateboarding. writing. baseball.nature. video games.
  • Myspace

Posted 13 October 2006 - 08:49 AM

i listened and it had no structure, no heart, no soul, just electronic fabricated mindless shit

#11 Nixon08

Nixon08

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3446 posts
  • Joined 03-April 05

Posted 13 October 2006 - 09:00 AM

i listened and it had no structure, no heart, no soul, just electronic fabricated mindless shit

This music may not be for everyone, but for those that "get it," I think you'll find it worthy of a spot on your year's best list.

If you don't like it, you don't like it - thats fine - but to say there is no structure, heart, or soul is just bizarre. Are you sure you're listening to the right album? And this is probably the least 'mindless' album I've heard in a long fucking time.

#12 !!!

!!!

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1125 posts
  • Joined 07-April 05

Posted 13 October 2006 - 09:35 AM

Definitely digging it. Been looking for an album like this since Entroducing. Thanks Nix.

#13 Lacerda

Lacerda

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1577 posts
  • Joined 02-April 04

Posted 13 October 2006 - 08:12 PM

This isn't exactly the easiest album to find

no shit, even amoeba was out of stock.

#14 Nixon08

Nixon08

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3446 posts
  • Joined 03-April 05

Posted 17 October 2006 - 04:11 AM

I'm not letting this thread die yet. Not when this album has jumped to (quite possibly) the number 2 position on my year end list. Peoples, you must listen.

#15 Lacerda

Lacerda

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1577 posts
  • Joined 02-April 04

Posted 17 October 2006 - 04:16 PM

i'm still waiting for amazon to drop it off in my mailbox

#16 firstrays123

firstrays123

We Do By Declare Ourselves To Be Another Art Of Being

• Members
  • 10329 posts
  • Joined 23-May 04
  • Interests:Music, School, Meditation, Friends & Family, Spirituality, Good Food, Traveling and Sun Ra

Posted 17 October 2006 - 07:52 PM

anybody sharing this on soulseek?

#17 Sannea

Sannea

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts
  • Joined 18-February 04
  • Interests:p-o-t

Posted 17 October 2006 - 08:14 PM

hahaha, too early or too late??

or you forgot how to read??

soulseek: hottnikkels (he posted this!)

tx, hottnikkels :biggrin:

#18 Nixon08

Nixon08

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3446 posts
  • Joined 03-April 05

Posted 18 October 2006 - 04:49 AM

Yeah, hotnikkels and myself (nixon08). Add me.

#19 hottnikkels

hottnikkels

• Members
  • 7911 posts
  • Joined 07-December 03

Posted 18 October 2006 - 04:54 AM

Pitchfork Review Of "Pet Monster Shotglass"

Posted Image

Flying Lotus
Pet Monster Shotglass
[Plug Research; 2006]

4 Stars

Adult Swim has become so synonymous with skeletal yet bubbly instrumental hip-hop that it's hard to listen to Flying Lotus, who's contributed three beats to Cartoon Network's lifestyle-savvy animation block, without immediately visualizing white bumper text on a black field. The Dntel-covering-Brian-Eno thing Adult Swim favors invariably produces pleasant-enough results, but on the vaguely Caribbean "Pet Monster Shotglass", the Lotus is going for something more than wallpaper. The L.A.-based producer comes off like Eliot Lipp mashing on Dabrye: Concerned with color saturation and spatial relationships, he dives headlong into hiccupping Miami bass; steel drum-ish runnels and woodblock-ish knocks; spindly percussion that claps and clicks and spits; hissing sparks and watery gulps that fast-forward and rewind in concise Möbius-montages; sinuous threads of buzzing and squelching synths; reggae's glassy lilt and acid house's soupy squiggles. Low tones roll erratically over the otherwise freezer-bagged components of the mix, and a relentless quadruple-tap keeps the song on rails as it trundles from a bowlegged shimmy to a svelte nighttime glide.

#20 Nixon08

Nixon08

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3446 posts
  • Joined 03-April 05

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:16 AM

Wow, Pitchfork finally caught on. Thats pretty cool - I really hope he begins to get the appreciation that he deserves.

I feel crazy saying this, but damn, this album makes me feel so good. The overall tonal aesthetic just makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. Almost giddy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users