IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

(#014) Cryptomnesia2009/05/05 - Zach Hill, Jonathan Hischke, Cedric, Juan

• Please log in to reply
2036 replies to this topic

#2021 xpgno

xpgno

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4635 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 12 June 2019 - 07:43 PM

Zach in TMV would be hella epic.

#2022 greytux

greytux

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • Joined 04-February 12

Posted 13 June 2019 - 09:16 AM

I cannot express to you how much I fucking love that single note.

I’m in the single note team too

#2023 Palo Alto

Palo Alto

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Joined 24-November 07

Posted 13 June 2019 - 01:12 PM

Are all the songs in the same key?

#2024 Andrewf

Andrewf

Goliath

• Members
  • 4223 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 13 June 2019 - 01:36 PM

Are all the songs in the same key?

No, each time a second note is added to the drone for smoother transition

#2025 Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • Joined 27-April 09

Posted 13 June 2019 - 03:11 PM

I'm quiet surprised ! Why do you guys like that so much ?

The idea isn't ininteresting, but on that record it misses its goal to me.

I mean, if it were on Bedlam, it could be useful : get some rest in between songs.

There, the tracks are all very different and I get that the single note is supposed to link them to eachother. I think it's a rather lazy, inconsistent idea (please don't get me wrong, I do not mean to insult anyone's work and I am still a fanboy).

Plus Octa is already rather short and and it's frustrating that a part of it is made only by this note.

#2026 hbk111

hbk111

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2923 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 13 June 2019 - 05:45 PM

50 minutes is not short. Only by today’s standards. I miss the days of shorter records.

It wouldn’t be useful in Bedlam because it doesn’t fit the concept or pummeling you to death, which was very much by design. Octa is mainly about people who just disappear and I think of that every time I hear that recurring note. It sounds so calm but sad and a little frustrating to get past. I think that was the point. Also, to give you a breather because that whole record was about ‘giving you a breather’ after the onslaught of Bedlam. It’s very much in character with the record and that’s why I think it works.

Interesting that Spotify labels it as its own track called “Opening Credits” before SWBW.

#2027 Andrewf

Andrewf

Goliath

• Members
  • 4223 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 13 June 2019 - 08:01 PM

^ probably because it's long as hell so people would stream SWBW more easily (it was also released as a single), each different long note is attached to the end of the track, unlike SWBW.

50 minutes is short for modern prog rock band (considering all their albums before were pretty much using all CD space (80 minutes) except deloused)

i noticed that albums feel short or long because of number of tracks, not because of minutes. For example, a 25 track album will feel long, no matter if it's 70-80 or 30-40 minutes. 

to me Bedlam sounds much longer than Ampu and Frances, despite Ampu and Frances actually being longer. Bedlam is 12 tracks and its so crazy and over the top that you feel exhausted after listening to it, unlike Ampu and Frances which are 8 and 5 tracks each

#2028 kathygriffin

kathygriffin

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Joined 12-December 06

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:00 PM

I used to be of the opinion that adding that K49 track between SWBW and Teflon made perfect sense, and that having that extra song (despite it not being mixed properly) made the album feel much more complete. But that was back in a time when I cared about such things. Crypto, on the other hand, is a solid album, but kind of just feels like Bedlam b-sides to me.

#2029 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9973 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:16 PM

To me it is a totally different atmosphere than bedlam. Just because both features busy drumming doesn't make it similar, the playing to me is much closer to amp era noodling, snd then the album feels like a deliberate cut n paste job. Abstract, fragmented stuff. Beslam is this heavy (both musically and conceptually), evil beast. But you know, of one piece, whole, with the parts contributing to the complete picture. Oh yeah, plus bedlam is so serious, whereas crypto has humor. And then these bits n pieces of convos and stuff throughout. I never got the link with bedlam that people make, except: both have heavy chaotic drumming

#2030 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 5434 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14
  • Interests:Friend of cats and foxes.

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:48 PM

100% with Carl. Crypto is hilarious, lyrically and musically. It's a pop culture punk rock fuckathon. In and out, super quick. Bedlam is weighty, dusty, thick and unknowable.

#2031 kathygriffin

kathygriffin

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Joined 12-December 06

Posted 14 June 2019 - 12:26 AM

To each their own, but I wouldn't have too tough of a time imagining songs like Tuberculoids, Aberinkula, Ouroboros, Cryptomnesia, Metatron and Warren Oates all being on the same album. Hell, even Soothsayer shares the field recording aspect and Middle-Eastern vibe with Cryptomnesia songs.

#2032 Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • Joined 27-April 09

Posted 14 June 2019 - 02:00 PM

50 minutes is not short. Only by today’s standards. I miss the days of shorter records.

It wouldn’t be useful in Bedlam because it doesn’t fit the concept or pummeling you to death, which was very much by design. Octa is mainly about people who just disappear and I think of that every time I hear that recurring note. It sounds so calm but sad and a little frustrating to get past. I think that was the point. Also, to give you a breather because that whole record was about ‘giving you a breather’ after the onslaught of Bedlam. It’s very much in character with the record and that’s why I think it works.

Interesting that Spotify labels it as its own track called “Opening Credits” before SWBW.

Yeah ok, I got that, it makes sense.

It's too long before Luciforms though.

I don't hear any relation between crypto and bedlam. Crypto indeed is a lot of fun : is it why it isn't a tmv album ? does humor belong to mars volta's music ?

#2033 hbk111

hbk111

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2923 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 14 June 2019 - 05:46 PM

Same here. Crypto and Bedlam only share the aggression. It’s just a debut album from a new band at the time. Am I the only one who doesn’t like calling the band/project “El Grupo Nuevo”? It sounds retarded calling it The New Group/Band or Omar’s new group lol. I usually see that as more of an announcement piece. Cryptomnesia is what I prefer to call the band, as if it’s a self titled debut album (like Bosnian Rainbows, Antemasque, Crystal Fairy). Omar’s New group: CRYPTOMNESIA

#2034 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 5434 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14

Posted 14 June 2019 - 05:54 PM

I like that.

#2035 Ghost Of Shark Horse

Ghost Of Shark Horse

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1468 posts
  • Joined 15-June 15

Posted 14 June 2019 - 06:20 PM

Same here. Crypto and Bedlam only share the aggression. It’s just a debut album from a new band at the time. Am I the only one who doesn’t like calling the band/project “El Grupo Nuevo”? It sounds retarded calling it The New Group/Band or Omar’s new group lol. I usually see that as more of an announcement piece. Cryptomnesia is what I prefer to call the band, as if it’s a self titled debut album (like Bosnian Rainbows, Antemasque, Crystal Fairy). Omar’s New group: CRYPTOMNESIA

Never really thought about it like that but I quite like the idea 

#2036 OhMyGod

OhMyGod

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 197 posts
  • Joined 01-May 09

Posted Today, 12:00 AM

I almost lost my Cryptomnesia t-shirt, but I just misplaced it in the laundry. Whew.

#2037 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 5434 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14

Posted Today, 10:02 AM

I want a cryptomnesia t shirt :(

3 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users