IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Rank the Ipecac SeriesBecause ranking

• Please log in to reply
348 replies to this topic

#341 sa007ak

sa007ak

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts
  • Joined 10-January 16

Posted 12 March 2021 - 05:40 PM

Roman lips and gorilla are great too though, maybe you oughta give those another try!

Gorilla Sounds like a bridge between de facto and early tmv jams

Roman lips is the same genre as killing tingled to me

Yeah Roman Lips is a solid rock record, and GPC has parts that I think most TMV fans can get excited over. 

Killing Tinged is hit or miss for me, but has some great songwriting and a number of songs that I go back to often. This all being said I love Solid State Mercenaries for LoFi Volta bits & crazy production and I will die on this hill. 

#342 patsyinclined

patsyinclined

#StillNoAnswers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9379 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11

Posted 12 March 2021 - 10:57 PM

Cool to see some love for Azul... but you guys putting SNIL so high just doesn't make sense.

lol I get its not a very popular opinion, and admittedly it has some of Teri's worst vocal performances. But I really luke the album flow and some of the crazy music on there. Sanity A Dream through Barachiel Is At It Again scratch the same weirdo jazz itch that Woman Gives Birth to Tomato (a top 5 album imo) does.

Zophiel and Ariel are really interesting interlude tracks. Ariel is quite beautiful imo.

Bitter Sunsets and Mulu Lizi are unlike anything else in the catalogue. Mulu Lizi sounds like a nightmare soundtrack.

Its a record I certainly have to be in the mood for, but I dont quite understand why people think its THE WORST. Its pretty similar to Solid State Mercs in a lot of ways, but more cohesive and better vocals imo

#343 sa007ak

sa007ak

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts
  • Joined 10-January 16

Posted 12 March 2021 - 11:49 PM

Its a record I certainly have to be in the mood for, but I dont quite understand why people think its THE WORST. Its pretty similar to Solid State Mercs in a lot of ways, but more cohesive and better vocals imo

I'd take SNiL any day over say... Infinity Drips..., maybe even Despair on days that I'm in a weird mood...

#344 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • 10436 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 13 March 2021 - 08:39 AM

Id take snil over many albums. I think it's a fun little record

#345 Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • Joined 27-April 09

Posted 13 March 2021 - 10:19 AM

Don't get me wrong, I like SNiL as well - I even thought I was one of the only one around here when it came out. I simply wouldn't put it above finished, interesting new albums such as Zen Thrills or Sworn Virgins.

#346 patsyinclined

patsyinclined

#StillNoAnswers

• Members
  • 9379 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11

Posted 13 March 2021 - 11:44 AM

Sounds dumb but I almost think Sworn Virgin's sheen and cohesiveness is why I dont like it so much. It feels boring and a slog to finish the album. Like Carl said, SNIL is fun. If every song was in the vein of Bitter Sunsets or Sanity or whatever it would be boring and hard to listen to. But the different ideas are fun to listen to. And then there is the emotional part of some of these songs just 'clicking'

On paper I should like Sworn Virgins a lot. Obvs there isn't the time or money to polish and workshop an ORL record like a TMV record. I'm sure if there was I would like that album a whole lot more. But as it stands, the only two songs that really do anything for me are Saturine and Pineapple Face. Other songs are fine individually, but just bleed into each other when listening to the record as a whole

#347 sa007ak

sa007ak

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts
  • Joined 10-January 16

Posted 13 March 2021 - 01:48 PM

On paper I should like Sworn Virgins a lot. Obvs there isn't the time or money to polish and workshop an ORL record like a TMV record. I'm sure if there was I would like that album a whole lot more. But as it stands, the only two songs that really do anything for me are Saturine and Pineapple Face. Other songs are fine individually, but just bleed into each other when listening to the record as a whole

I think I like it a bit more than that, but I agree that parts of SV get pretty sterile. I revisit Pineapple Face & Crow's Feet pretty often and Chi Chi occasionally but not really the rest. 

#348 xpgno

xpgno

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4839 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 13 March 2021 - 06:32 PM

Maybe it's because it was the first one, but SV is the only one of the Ipecac albums that holds its own with Omar's initial run of solo albums (imo).

#349 Alderetism

Alderetism

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 7937 posts
  • Joined 04-September 09
  • Interests:Peace, love and bass.

Posted 13 March 2021 - 09:58 PM

*Pops head in through the door*

Nothing I've heard from this series has really interested me.

*Runs*

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users