IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

December 3, 2009 - Berlin, DEHuxley's Neue Welt

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#101 flipzoso

flipzoso

ZK

• Party Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7100 posts
  • Joined 24-October 06

Posted 06 December 2009 - 05:51 AM

^ dude, explain L'Vias ending again. K so "worms crawling out head" > "yeah yeah" > then no more "mother help me" part? > ikey just plays that regular piano line that runs throughout end? > no changes between? Alternate solos from Omar rhytm to Ikey solo > Ikey and Omar rhytm to Marcel or anyone else solo? Do they do the later 05/06 version buildup in the jam?

Bar-scene audio track come in too?

#102 jTrippy

jTrippy

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts
  • Joined 26-August 07

Posted 06 December 2009 - 05:57 AM

Thanks for the review. Still hoping for some quality audio at some point of this Euro tour, wish I had the resources to tape one of these shows myself.

#103 MaX PoWeRs

MaX PoWeRs

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2196 posts
  • Joined 02-July 06
  • Interests:Gnarly things
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 06 December 2009 - 06:13 AM

I really want to hear thissssssss

#104 Cygnus Vade

Cygnus Vade

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts
  • Joined 17-April 09

Posted 06 December 2009 - 06:18 AM

come on already! for christ's sake, where are these bootlegs?!

#105 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3668 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 06 December 2009 - 06:23 AM

give the man some time, he said later tonight.

#106 The Soothsayer

The Soothsayer

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Joined 06-January 08

Posted 06 December 2009 - 06:42 AM

Viscera Eyes - Getting a bit old for me now, but still love it. Dave kills the chorus and the snare hit he misses puts a fresh spin on things. Omars solos were brilliant. Dave had a solo aswell, did pretty much the same thing TP did just shorter. Cedric said something in spanish near the start, anyone know what it was? Can be heard on the Stockholm video of Viscera and Part III of Cicatriz on Scabdates.

Confessa Omar! :notworthy:

#107 Marleyfff

Marleyfff

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Joined 09-October 03
  • Interests:Hi! well i like a lot of things

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:20 AM

(I understand if you don't want to read all that, just felt like writing it :smile: )

read it all; thanks for writing it!

#108 LouisGilbrook

LouisGilbrook

oh..

• Members
  • 5599 posts
  • Joined 27-November 08
  • Interests:You.

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:29 AM

Yeah, thanks a lot for taking the time, Bishop - I'm excited :)

#109 stretts

stretts

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3812 posts
  • Joined 20-June 04
  • Interests:Music, japan, philosophy, psychology, friends, so many things!
  • Facebook

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:38 AM

cheers Bishop, great overview, cant wait for the boot

#110 The Nephilim

The Nephilim

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2140 posts
  • Joined 24-July 06

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:41 AM

Confessa Omar! :notworthy:

Drum fill at 1:24 is pretty damn sick.

#111 feelsgoodman

feelsgoodman

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 5211 posts
  • Joined 04-June 05
  • Interests:MUSIC

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:35 AM

bootleg pleaase :D

ABSOLUTELY!!! WHERE ARE ALL THEY ALREADY!!!

ummm i know you are excited to hear a boot (much like everyone else), but calm the fuck down

#112 EmptinesS

EmptinesS

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts
  • Joined 10-September 08
  • Interests:TMV TMV TMV, Music, Movies, playing Guitar, fast Cars

Posted 06 December 2009 - 10:46 AM

so finally:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/imsb7k

enjoy!

i'm really sorry the recording is not complete, looks like i don't have any luck in taping the volta. so say thank you to the people in the first rows for moshing around in the first few songs, cause they dropped my recorder at the end of cotopaxi so the sd card popped out. started recording again right before l'via started.

listened to the recording on my train back home. so from what i could hear i think the quality is ok, but is getting better on some songs like eriatarka and cicatriz. had to change the taping position because there were so many people moshing or even just walking by all the time to get beer. also some (....) guys behind me had to talk all the time, even in the beginning of miranda. don't know if its very audiable on the record, but during the show this really pissed me off. why do people come to concerts like this just to talk?? i just dont understand it, sorry.

so finally this is the raw file i recorded, no eq or cutting has been done yet. please feel free to do some to bring out the best quality.
looks like this will be the only source so far, so enjoy.

...and again, i am SO FUCKIN SORRY this one is not complete, i'm really mad about myself, but this is the best i could get.

#113 horridhenry

horridhenry

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Joined 25-October 09

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:11 AM

Thank you, EmptinesS, very much appreciated. I'll download it the moment I get back home after work.

"why do people come to concerts like this just to talk?? i just dont understand it, sorry"

I'm very much with you on that. I was in the front row and may have seen or met some people from here and I was furious when one girl pushed me and literally forced her way to the barriers after the third or fourth song. I was so surprised by her rudeness that I didn't have the time to react. A friend of hers wanted to do exactly the same as she did, but I just told her to b*f off, if you could pardon my French, so she was standing behind me. And then... they began to chat. God, I really didn't get it.

#114 Bishop Muzuraywa

Bishop Muzuraywa

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts
  • Joined 03-September 06
  • Facebook

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:30 PM

^ dude, explain L'Vias ending again. K so "worms crawling out head" > "yeah yeah" > then no more "mother help me" part? > ikey just plays that regular piano line that runs throughout end? > no changes between? Alternate solos from Omar rhytm to Ikey solo > Ikey and Omar rhytm to Marcel or anyone else solo? Do they do the later 05/06 version buildup in the jam?

Bar-scene audio track come in too?

Sorry for not being clear, it's really hard to remember some things. It was the same as always up until the solos start. It was like one massive solo from Ikey and Omar would solo over him sometimes, so there was no real exchange going on. I really can't remember if they built it up or not, I know what you mean but can't recall it for definite. Also couldn't hear the bar scene playing but that might be because of where I was stood. What I meant by no 'mother help me' part was the bit Cedric sings after the solos to end the song. After the solos they just looped the bassline for a while and then started Goliath.

so finally:

enjoy!

Thanks so much! Downloading now.

#115 Discordia

Discordia

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3287 posts
  • Joined 25-October 03

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:35 PM

Muchisimas Gracias :smile:

#116 horridhenry

horridhenry

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Joined 25-October 09

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:53 PM

I took these with my mobile. Sorry about the quality

Attached Files

• Attached File  jjjjj.jpg   74.25KB   73 downloads
  • Attached File  jjj.jpg   83.9KB   58 downloads

#117 a doubt

a doubt

Cassandra Geminni

• Coma Donor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Joined 05-March 05
  • Interests:frusciante fan :)
  • Twitter

Posted 06 December 2009 - 01:12 PM

(...)
(I understand if you don't want to read all that, just felt like writing it :smile: )

Thank you so much for your detailled review :notworthy: I devoured every piece of it.

It's weird how strict the venue's policy on taking pictures or shooting video was, I wonder if that came from the band or the venue.

EmptinesS, thank you very much for sharing your recording, it's a shame your recorder dropped because of some people moshing.

And thanks for the pictures, horridhenry.

#118 Seattleite

Seattleite

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2797 posts
  • Joined 07-September 07

Posted 06 December 2009 - 01:29 PM

Where's Bishop?

Right here!

Apologies for taking so long to get on here with my verdict. Had no internet access in Germany unless I wanted to pay the earth to use my iPhone.

Well, it was a seriously incredible concert and brilliant few days in Berlin. An experience I'll never forget.

I'll start off by saying I am yet to recieve my mics so there's no recording from me though at least we have Emptiness' to look forward to! However, I'm kind of glad I didn't have them cuz security was very tight and I barely got my camera in. Hopefully things aren't the same if I have them in time for my next gig. They were also VERY strict about filming so I have nothing to share apart from some sneaky pictures and two minutes of Inertiatic which isn't really worth it. I'm very sorry about not having anything but seriously they were shutting filmers down instantly it was ridiculous.

Me and my two (now converted) compadres arrived at the venue around 7:15, there was only about 10-15 people there so we were fairly near the front of the queue. Doors opened promptly at 8, then we had to go through security. Got patted down, managed to sneak my camera in by taking it out of my pocket as I lifted up my arms, don't know how that worked lol! I hope things don't get like this in England, it's stupid and Ireland better not be the same. Quickly bought two shirts, the new green one and the "Metatron" image on a black shirt.

Walked in to the main hall and got right up front, dead centre. Not on the barrier but right behind a small lady so I had a totally unobstructed view of the stage. I believe I was behind Corevolta, or at least it looks like it from her video. She turned round and asked me not to push her and I said I hated that so definitely wouldn't be. She also asked if I was at the Somerset House show. If it was you, I'm sorry about occasionally pushing into your back. I was doing my best not to thats why I had my hand on the barrier sometimes. The moshing was ridiculous though, security were constantly telling people to calm down.

Now onto the good stuff...

The venue was great, amazing sound especially considering my position and I really liked the old fashioned interior. Even though the pushing and shoving was pretty bad it didn't hamper my enjoyment one bit. It was also good that although there was a gap between barrier and stage, it wasn't too big and it still felt like you were really close to them.

They came on a little after 9 to the usual, heart pumping Fistful Of Dollars theme. They all waved as they walked on looking in high spirits. People who say their passion and energy levels are gone are certainly wrong in this case, instantly you knew they meant business. Cedric was dancing, jumping around, falling on the floor, swinging his mic around, throwing up the stand and catching it with ease. When he first kicked the mic off his heel during Cotopaxi it sounded like a gun shot and the crowd cheered. Also love how dangerous his cord whipping is, so many times he nearly got people in the face with it! He was definitely his old self even if he wasn't at the earlier shows. Omar had his grassgopper legs going and brought back the salsa dancing during the L'Via bridges. Ikey went crazy as usual but also would just stare out into the crowd at some parts looking a little bored. Juan was head banging loads though I also noticed he didn't look at Dave as much like he did with Jon or Thomas, but when they did catch each others eyes they grinned at each other. Also noticed Juan and Dave would stare at Omar a lot especially during the jams, with a sort of 'where is he going with this' look on their face. They definitely look like they genuinely enjoy playing with him and are prepared to go wherever he does. And as for Dave, he is great to watch, really puts his whole body behind his playing. He would often jump right out of his seat! He likes to through drum sticks out into the crowd during songs aswell. No real antics from Marcel, though I never got the impression he wasn't enjoying it I just think he likes to concentrate a lot. Caught him laughing at Omar and Dave a few times.

Performance wise. Omar was on fire, possibly the best I've seen him play. His ideas in the jams are so captivating and the solos during L'Via were definetly a highlight. Cedric did struggle occassionally but was amazing more often than not. In my opinion he came out strong in Inertiatic, dipped during Cotopaxi and L'via, solid on Eriatarka and Goliath then it was brilliant throughout. Bear in mind he was often hard to hear cuz of my position though. Juan is Juan, inspiring playing, never ceases to amaze. Ikey is crazy, really shines with this new setlist. Marcel has some great parts, his percussion in the Cicatriz jam especially is amazing and his keys in Miranda, so good. Dave is really, really good. I think he's a great fit, definitely walks the path between JT and TP. He's got a great balance in his playing and I really enjoyed watching him. He'll surely only get better.

Though it's pretty common knowledge now, it is definitely Henry playing acoustic guitar. I could see him clear as day. Also something I've not really seen them do before, Juan and Omar would often swap guitars during songs aswell as between.

Woh <deep breath>

A little break down of the set (this is what I can remember, you might wonder what I'm going on about when you listen to the recording but its hard to describe it) -

Inertiatic - Great opener. Dave nails it as does Ikey. Cedric is great but struggles on the odd 'Now I'm lost'.

Cotopaxi - Still a brilliant song for me. Juan is all over it, I found Dave's playing occassionally sluggish during the versus but he was great on the breakdown and his mini solo/fill was so slick. Again Cedric great but struggles on the 'Up that hill' lines. Omar is also top notch on it.

L'Via - Omar = God! He really gets into it. I found Cedric a little off (don't really know why), mainly because he was so good on this track in 05 I think, still a good vocal performance. Dave grooves hard, throws in some nice fills as well, liked how he changed the pattern on the ride to his stack. Great percussion from Marcel during the bridges. Ikey is great on the ending, its pretty much one massive solo and Omar plays over him occassionally. Also no 'mother help me' from Cedric at the end just the bassline looped and then...

Goliath - Starts off with the usual drum fill. Dave is again up to the challenge. Had to check if he was using a double pedal but he wasn't. Love his fills during the chorus, fit really nicely.

Eriatarka - A dream come true! Cedric was amazing as was Omar. Only wish they would start it without the drums like they did in 06, though its a petty complaint. Love the jam, Juans bassline is great. The things Omar was coming up with were something to behold, just watching him play...jawdrop. Liked Dave's playing aswell, similar to Gene Coye with the Texas Crunkship bassline at the Charlie Hayden gig. They bring it right down and gradually build it up again, sounds cool. Cedric was improvising a lot but didn't catch anything I recognised, mainly harmonising with his moans and whispers.

Since We've Been Wrong - A real highlight. Beautiful with the acoustic in the background and Omar on electric. Cedric was superb. Noticed Dave playing the cymbals with his hands briefly during the first chorus.

Cicatriz - Probably my favourite of the night though they were all close contenders. Again Cedric killed it, so did Dave. The hyper section at the start of the jam goes on for ages now, just mental. Omar really shined. The jam is very chilled out, starts off similar to 04 versions, Dave's playing was very JT-ish. I remember thinking it could be him if I closed my eyes. It then went very quiet like the short youtube clip, great percussion from Marcel and everyone was clapping. Vocal improvs included 'Magic Fingers' by Frank Zappa and 'Fresh New Eyes' by Braniac. Then they built it up and Dave started to sort of solo though it was structured, could have been TP if you closed your eyes. Then they locked it in again and Omar started to tease the end riff. Can't really describe it but the transition was orgasmic! Everyone went crazy at the end.

Halo of Nembutals - Nothing really to note. Great song, great performance. Backdrop changed at this point, looked sweet. They all seemed to enjoy playing it and Dave looked like he eased up from here on, sort of looked like he was beginning to realise he had the parts down. At one point he did a really tasteful fill and Juan smiled and mouthed 'nice', Omar also turned to look back and smile. Cedric nailed it.

Miranda - BEAUTIFUL! Acoustic guitar, Cedric's vocals, Omar's little additions on the electric - just amazing. Dave played the cymbals with hands a few times again. Couldn't work out who was playing the Trumpet part out of Ikey or Marcel and who was doing some normal keys but they were both stunning. Then Juan came in, just great, then Dave for the epic ending.

Teflon - The transition from Miranda was awesome, Ikey was playing really nice keys and then it came out of nowhere and hit so hard. Cedric killed it, so did Omar and Juan. Dave did really well too, love how he opens and closes the hi-hat during the 'let the wheels burn' part. Goes mental at the end aswell.

Viscera Eyes - Getting a bit old for me now, but still love it. Dave kills the chorus and the snare hit he misses puts a fresh spin on things. Omars solos were brilliant. Dave had a solo aswell, did pretty much the same thing TP did just shorter. Cedric said something in spanish near the start, anyone know what it was? Can be heard on the Stockholm video of Viscera and Part III of Cicatriz on Scabdates.

The Widow - Amazing solo from Juan. Cedric really good and I loved Omar's guitar work.

Roulette Dares - Dave kills it, plays it more like JT. Love how the drums build up on the 'Inside' part like they used to, missed that with TP. Ending is a lot shorter, really droney and hipnotic. They just loop the bassline and walk off. Cedric said thank you and waved for like a minute with a real genuine look of gratitude on his face as did Omar. Everyone else waved as they were walking off.

Yeah, so a pretty good gig :biggrin:

Can't wait to see them this week!

wow thanks a lot dude that was good stuff.. gives me a sigh of relief to hear dave doing so well = )

#119 EmptinesS

EmptinesS

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts
  • Joined 10-September 08
  • Interests:TMV TMV TMV, Music, Movies, playing Guitar, fast Cars

Posted 06 December 2009 - 01:47 PM

yes, dave is awesome! his playing reminded a lot of JT. at some times at the show it sounded like back in 2005. hope dave stays with the band for a long time...

thanks for the great review, bishop!

anybody able to do some work on the recording, splitting up tracks and doing some eq and stuff? thanks.

#120 ray

ray

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 167 posts
  • Joined 20-November 05

Posted 06 December 2009 - 01:55 PM

so finally:

enjoy!

thanks so much for putting this up. as "sad" as i am about the fact thomas is gone, i really love the energy dave brings to the band - kind of sucks to say that, since we had the same situation back then after jon was booted. ironically, i love how he (dave) plays the songs like jon in most cases. he also does a great take on the new material. i also love to hear them play gems like l'via, eriatarka, miranda (!) and so on "again".
enough crap-talk about drummers, does it even matter as long as they enjoy what they do and as long as they keep bringing up their unique energy on stage?

btw.: fuck those fuckers talking, yelling and singing along all the time - so annoying!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users