IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

(#032) Unicorn Skeleton Mask2012/12/28

Unicorn Skeleton Mask

• Please log in to reply
361 replies to this topic

#41 auxfnx

auxfnx

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Joined 26-October 10

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:37 AM

http://spanish.about...y-is-dec-28.htm

Spanish April Fools Day is 28th December.
Why the delay though?
Cathy said "Releasing ORL album a week ago but forgetting to unhide - priceless" via twitter.
Though I think she's just been given permission to release them.

Either way it's fucking cool.
I wonder how long it will last.

yeah, i reckon you're right, i don't really buy that tweet, releasing them involves posting them around and stuff too, so she couldn't have not noticed :P

anyway, still an awesome album, yup.

#42 iamisandisnt

iamisandisnt

The joke is INSIDE the joke!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13056 posts
  • Joined 09-February 06

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:47 AM

I believe that she forgot to unhide them.

The whole camp was probably wondering why there was no response from the fans.

Hahahahaha I'll just reiterate this album rocks I'm about to hear Sea is Rising for the first time and I couldn't be happier :)

#43 Veni-yan Warrior

Veni-yan Warrior

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3282 posts
  • Joined 27-February 05

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:27 AM

"Lick the Tilting Poppies" are still his best vocals to date.

#44 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • 6868 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:36 AM

His vocals are pretty great on that song. But Escorpion had awesome vocals as well.

#45 Seattleite

Seattleite

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2797 posts
  • Joined 07-September 07

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:40 AM

His vocals are pretty great on that song. But Escorpion had awesome vocals as well.

Escorpion has his best in my opinion. Angel hair is great too. I feel like the drumming on this album doesn't quite sound on deantonis level. Names is definitely marcel. I think I heard a pridgen track scattered in there but it sounds mostly marcel.

#46 iamisandisnt

iamisandisnt

• Members
  • 13056 posts
  • Joined 09-February 06

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:44 AM

"Lick the Tilting Poppies" are still his best vocals to date.

totes agree with all of you, angel hair and escorpion both have great vocals

#47 iamisandisnt

iamisandisnt

• Members
  • 13056 posts
  • Joined 09-February 06

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:52 AM

This reminds me of when I first discovered how much better my art got when I listened to Volta

#48 patsyinclined

patsyinclined

#StillNoAnswers

• Members
  • 9071 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:02 AM

HAHAHA YAY I LOVE THIS MAN

#49 Veni-yan Warrior

Veni-yan Warrior

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3282 posts
  • Joined 27-February 05

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:06 AM

Not sure if I've heard Pridgen at all, especially on this album, which is certainly newer than Tomato!

also, where have I heard "Bored To Burns" before?

#50 daveion

daveion

El Guapo

• Coma Donor
  • 3159 posts
  • Joined 01-March 05

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:07 AM

I'm about 2/3 through and this is some magical shit. Crazy good, a lot of jaw dropping moments in there. And the cover is hilarious yet awesome.

#51 Seattleite

Seattleite

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2797 posts
  • Joined 07-September 07

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:13 AM

Not sure if I've heard Pridgen at all, especially on this album, which is certainly newer than Tomato!

also, where have I heard "Bored To Burns" before?

Yeah it must just be Marcel mimicking Thomas' style. The song is Tenessee, drums sound similar to Sepulcros. Fuck though, the second time through this album is gorgeous.

#52 Kwan

Kwan

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
  • Joined 12-July 09

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:17 AM

I see. Anyway, hopefully there's another record coming our way...*ahem*The Somnambulists*ahem*

Don't forget Bailan por que no pueden hablar, Aryabhatiya, and whatever the one with Infinity Drips as the cover gets called.

#53 patsyinclined

patsyinclined

#StillNoAnswers

• Members
  • 9071 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:44 AM

I see. Anyway, hopefully there's another record coming our way...*ahem*The Somnambulists*ahem*

Don't forget Bailan por que no pueden hablar, Aryabhatiya, and whatever the one with Infinity Drips as the cover gets called.

Isn't there a self titled one as well?

#54 Veni-yan Warrior

Veni-yan Warrior

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3282 posts
  • Joined 27-February 05

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:49 AM

Yes, or at least the title doesn't appear on the cover. Or maybe it is The Somnambulists?. Those 4 from Telesterion are yet to be released, but probably included in those 13 albums mentioned a year ago.

#55 ergo

ergo

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 233 posts
  • Joined 07-March 07
  • Interests:http://blabbernsmoke.bandcamp.com/<br />http://smellthatharmonica.blogspot.com/
  • Facebook
  • Myspace
  • Twitter

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:53 AM

Cover reminds me of:

Posted Image

#56 TL_

TL_

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2514 posts
  • Joined 11-October 10

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

Yes, or at least the title doesn't appear on the cover. Or maybe it is The Somnambulists?. Those 4 from Telesterion are yet to be released, but probably included in those 13 albums mentioned a year ago.

Forget all those. How about the album with all the Vato Negro songs they've been playing for the past few years?

#57 Kwan

Kwan

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
  • Joined 12-July 09

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:04 AM

Yeah that one seemed to have been assumed to be Somnambulists, not sure why…

#58 patsyinclined

patsyinclined

#StillNoAnswers

• Members
  • 9071 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

Forget all those. How about the album with all the Vato Negro songs they've been playing for the past few years?

Hoping that the one with My Horror, Uno and such will be next.

#59 Mongrel

Mongrel

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts
  • Joined 16-January 10

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

This album is all over the place. It is easy to see why Sea Is Rising and Maria Te Canto are the two songs that he played out before. They are the only two songs on this album that I really enjoyed. The ending of Names and Careful Me is good, as are parts of Happiness, though I think the majority of this album is a morass of electro-jumble that doesn't sound focused or utilized in any discernible way. Some of these tracks are downright unlistenable (Bored to Bones, Right of Way), which is such a far cry from some of his other efforts. For instance, there are no songs on Se Dice Bisonte, No Bufalo, one of Omar's more solid works, that I would say was unilstenable. I'm not even going to go into why this album can't touch the Ximenia Sarinana era and other Omar heavyweights like Old Money.

In addition to the sonic mess that is this album, we have Omar pulling that BullSHIT with the vocals again. I hated it on Saber, Querer, Osar, Y Callar, and I hate it on this one too. Come on Omar! Either, A) Give us someone who can sing, or B) Actually try to give your album vocals! You did it on Calibration and Un Escorpion Perfumado, (and Casate Colmillo), why can't you do it here? Omar's vocals fit the music perfectly on those! That breathy reverb shit drags down this album so hard.

With all that said, I really did love Sea Is Rising and Maria Te Canto. The vocals aaaalmost work on those songs but I still wish it was something that was a bit more polished. Oh, who the fuck am I kidding, Omar's voice isn't polished AT ALL. I have been bumping what I once called "WIP IV" for a long time, and I am very thrilled that the song has an album release and I know the real title. These two songs would both be EPIC with proper vocals.

And I am well aware upon posting this that people will call me a hater, or say that I'm not a real Omar fan, or that I'm mean, or whatever else, but this seriously needs to be said. And I say this as someone to whom Omar's musical expression has been more fulfilling than any other single artist. I live and breathe his music, and own me quite a bit of merch too. So if anyone's got an issue, discuss it on the merits of my argument, not my person.

tl;dr: The shite vocals and sonically jumbled character of the songs bring down what could have been a pretty decent effort from "the Puerto Rican Woody Allen."

#60 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • 6868 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

Nothing wrong with your opinion, but no one's opinion "needs to be said". That's implying that it's more than just an opinion. But I will say that I have to agree about some of the vocals, I think Omar is a good vocalist but the vocals on the last few albums have been a bit too noisy/loud, and I'm not really sure why he continues to do that style. It fits with some songs but definitely not all of them. Aside from that though, this is easily my favorite album since Escorpion. The noisiness doesn't drag down the album that much for me (especially on a good pair of headphones); the songs are all still quality songs and the album isn't any harder on the ears than Omar's earlier stuff (like the Amsterdam albums). I think everybody has just grown accustomed to the very clean sounding albums of the past few years.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Unicorn Skeleton Mask

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users