IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Octahedron - FemaleFirst.co.uk Review

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 IVeilCerpinTaxtI

IVeilCerpinTaxtI

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3317 posts
  • Joined 01-February 05
  • Interests:Drums, Bass, Music...
  • Facebook
  • Myspace

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:18 PM

Why is fast energy Volta the only good Volta? I get the feeling that a lot of people out there don't enjoy slower music as much as they should.

#22 Tolland Drummer

Tolland Drummer

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Joined 14-January 08

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:33 PM

Of course, when you first see that there are eight songs on here, you might think, oh, that’s a pretty short album… but oh no, six of them are well over five minutes long, and it’s six minutes of calm, tranquil, almost utterly bizarre music.

What a terrible sentence. I can write reviews much better than this shit.

#23 Mothersky

Mothersky

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Joined 09-April 07

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:36 PM

Oh yeah, the quality of the review is piss poor, that goes without saying.

#24 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13448 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:18 PM

LOLOLOL

http://teenage.me/ne...lta-octahedron/

I’ve always found The Mars Volta a little baffling in one of those ‘love or loathe’ types of way. I mean, there’s no way a fan of someone like N-Trance is going to love these guys, but then again, people who likes The Mars Volta probably don’t like N-Trance.Either way, their new album, Octahedron is their fifth album t…

#25 sireres

sireres

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3421 posts
  • Joined 28-June 08

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:35 PM

Unfortunately whilst ‘Octahedron’ as a whole is passably interesting, it fails to reach the levels of musical experimentation we’ve come to expect from this band, although their leaning to a more ’mellow’ direction does add a refreshing change, it would be nicer to have seen a bit more of the sparkle we know and love from these guys.

despite being plagiarized, this sentence alone would be a good review of Octa. you can agree or disagree with it, but it gives you an idea of how the album is going to be. the rest of the review is just pathetic imo.

#26 Mlilly

Mlilly

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3339 posts
  • Joined 26-May 09

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:47 PM

They're females, their opinions do not matter.

......Thats healthy.

#27 Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts
  • Joined 13-April 07

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:54 PM

#28 ACrownofMaggots

ACrownofMaggots

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts
  • Joined 28-November 06

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:14 PM

She pretty much admits her bias in the first paragraph that's horse shit

#29 Madi

Madi

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Joined 22-June 08

Posted 27 May 2009 - 11:26 PM

'FemaleFirst.co.uk'...

:rolleyes: Sexist. Can you imagine the uproar if there was a site called 'MaleFirst.co.uk'... Some women just don't seem to understand that they're being just as sexist themselves sometimes. I'm for gender equality, not feminism.

Anyway, back to the point, I do agree with this:

Unfortunately whilst ‘Octahedron’ as a whole is passably interesting, it fails to reach the levels of musical experimentation we’ve come to expect from this band, although their leaning to a more ’mellow’ direction does add a refreshing change, it would be nicer to have seen a bit more of the sparkle we know and love from these guys.

Yes, I do really like Octa so far, it's a nice addition to the TMV back catalogue. But I don't think it'll be a 'stand-out' album from the others. It seems as if it was a mellow album 'that just had to be done at some point, and here it is'. I miss that 'sparkle', but I do admit that I'm a whore for Deloused and Frances.

#30 IamOmar

IamOmar

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts
  • Joined 14-July 07
  • Interests:Cedric and Omar can do no wrong

Posted 28 May 2009 - 01:13 AM

'FemaleFirst.co.uk'...

:rolleyes: Sexist. Can you imagine the uproar if there was a site called 'MaleFirst.co.uk'... Some women just don't seem to understand that they're being just as sexist themselves sometimes. I'm for gender equality, not feminism.

Yes, I do really like Octa so far, it's a nice addition to the TMV back catalogue. But I don't think it'll be a 'stand-out' album from the others. It seems as if it was a mellow album 'that just had to be done at some point, and here it is'. I miss that 'sparkle', but I do admit that I'm a whore for Deloused and Frances.

Oh but there is that "sparkle"...let me explain!

I can't think of the name of this percussion instrument, but do you guys know that wind chime looking hanging thing that makes that twinkle sound? I realize that last sentence is absolutely retarded, but I don't know how else to describe it! The use it REALLY loud on Agadez and I LOVE it....even if it is a little cheesy. I didn't think they used that 'twinkle' (which we will from here on out refer to it as "THE SPARKLE") sound before Bedlam, but after constantly rocking their full catalog recently I've noticed this sound show up all the way back to Deloused! Does anyone else know what the hell I'm talking about? This was a pointless post, I think I'll make a thread about this sound....

BTW- Worst. Review. Ever. That person was just....like...talking....

#31 IVeilCerpinTaxtI

IVeilCerpinTaxtI

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3317 posts
  • Joined 01-February 05
  • Interests:Drums, Bass, Music...
  • Facebook
  • Myspace

Posted 28 May 2009 - 01:16 AM

Chimes?

#32 manstis1804

manstis1804

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Joined 25-January 05
  • Interests:Music: making it

Posted 06 June 2009 - 12:43 AM

Octahedron is as "experimental" as any album they've made, I think a lot of people confuse complexity for experimentation.

#33 Yukon Cornelius

Yukon Cornelius

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2521 posts
  • Joined 26-October 08

Posted 08 June 2009 - 12:31 AM

'FemaleFirst.co.uk'...

Oh but there is that "sparkle"...let me explain!

I can't think of the name of this percussion instrument, but do you guys know that wind chime looking hanging thing that makes that twinkle sound? I realize that last sentence is absolutely retarded, but I don't know how else to describe it! The use it REALLY loud on Agadez and I LOVE it....even if it is a little cheesy. I didn't think they used that 'twinkle' (which we will from here on out refer to it as "THE SPARKLE") sound before Bedlam, but after constantly rocking their full catalog recently I've noticed this sound show up all the way back to Deloused! Does anyone else know what the hell I'm talking about? This was a pointless post, I think I'll make a thread about this sound....

BTW- Worst. Review. Ever. That person was just....like...talking....

those chimes are on the beginning of desperate graves i noticed that very early on it stood out to me

#34 TheGirlfriend

TheGirlfriend

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Joined 09-June 09

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:52 PM

......Thats healthy.

I know.... like... wtf's that all about? The review is crap though, like lets say a few things and mention facebook to look hip and cool....

#35 Xochipilli Ruins

Xochipilli Ruins

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts
  • Joined 02-June 09

Posted 12 June 2009 - 08:27 PM

worst review ive ever read. struggled to deal with the gramer.lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users