IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Beat Crave ReviewListen to Octahedron, you’ll be blown away

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13556 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 24 June 2009 - 05:35 PM

The Mars Volta’s Octahedron Review

The Mars Volta always manage to get people off with their soft psychedelic beginnings and hard core endings; their new album Octahedron is no different. The Grammy Award winning band has done it again, but in Octahedron, The Mars Volta give in to their softer side (not referring to the last 2 minutes of nearly every song, which seems to be more like “improv-jam” sessions), which is exactly what the band needed; a change from all their pre-endless chaos.

In Octahedron, The Mars Volta prove that whether it’s acoustic or electric guitars, they will deliver a sound that sends you into a psychedelic adventure. Guitarist Omar Rodriguez-Lopez mixes in elements of punk and jazz, which coexist perfectly with Cedric Bixler-Zavala’s falsetto vocals. The mixture of these two create a melodramatic piece; screams and chaos, yet all under a soft roof.

They start off with a Since We’ve Been Wrong, which is surprisingly light; blending guitar effects that sound gloomy with Bixler-Zavala’s falsetto vocals and give away a great dose of progressive rock. Although Octahedron is much more softer than any of their other albums, there is an awkward transition into Teflon because the song’s a hard hit compared to the previous song Since We’ve Been Wrong.

Towards the end there’s Copernicus which mixes early blues and jazz in a very impressive way; something that I never thought the Mars Volta could deliver, but I was proved wrong apparently.

Octahedron is a must, seriously because if you thought your couldn’t take the post-progressive hardcore sounds of The Mars Volta because every songs you heard of them lead to ultimate chaos, listen to Octahedron, you’ll be blown away.

http://beatcrave.com...ahedron-review/

#2 ryan

ryan

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • Joined 09-November 08
  • Interests:music and skateboarding

Posted 24 June 2009 - 05:39 PM

post-progressive hardcore doesnt sound like them IMO.

#3 dew

dew

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Joined 26-November 08
  • Interests:All MARS music.
  • Twitter

Posted 24 June 2009 - 10:07 PM

The Mars Volta’s Octahedron Review

The Mars Volta always manage to get people off with their soft psychedelic beginnings and hard core endings; their new album Octahedron is no different. The Grammy Award winning band has done it again, but in Octahedron, The Mars Volta give in to their softer side (not referring to the last 2 minutes of nearly every song, which seems to be more like “improv-jam” sessions), which is exactly what the band needed; a change from all their pre-endless chaos.

In Octahedron, The Mars Volta prove that whether it’s acoustic or electric guitars, they will deliver a sound that sends you into a psychedelic adventure. Guitarist Omar Rodriguez-Lopez mixes in elements of punk and jazz, which coexist perfectly with Cedric Bixler-Zavala’s falsetto vocals. The mixture of these two create a melodramatic piece; screams and chaos, yet all under a soft roof.

They start off with a Since We’ve Been Wrong, which is surprisingly light; blending guitar effects that sound gloomy with Bixler-Zavala’s falsetto vocals and give away a great dose of progressive rock. Although Octahedron is much more softer than any of their other albums, there is an awkward transition into Teflon because the song’s a hard hit compared to the previous song Since We’ve Been Wrong.

Towards the end there’s Copernicus which mixes early blues and jazz in a very impressive way; something that I never thought the Mars Volta could deliver, but I was proved wrong apparently.

Octahedron is a must, seriously because if you thought your couldn’t take the post-progressive hardcore sounds of The Mars Volta because every songs you heard of them lead to ultimate chaos, listen to Octahedron, you’ll be blown away.

Link? :mellow:

#4 Denton

Denton

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 249 posts
  • Joined 07-August 08

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:21 PM

I really don't know why it's so funny, but 'it starts with a Since We've Been Wrong' is hysterical to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users