IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Why do so many people dislike Amputechture?

amputechture

• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#1 Benprogfuse

Benprogfuse

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts
  • Joined 30-September 12

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:04 PM

Seriously. So many people talk down about this album. It is my 3rd favorite TMV album. I never completely understood why Fances is the majority favorite. I think it is because most people were introduced to TMV through Fances after hearing the Widow on the radio. To be honest, I started listening to them when Deloused was their only album. When Fances came out, I was kind of dissapointed. When Amputechture was released, I liked it so much more than Frances and I thought that they had redeemed themselfs.

Please give me detailed reasons why Amputechture isn't one of their best albums.

#2 half-life213

half-life213

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 497 posts
  • Joined 21-August 12

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:20 AM

As long as we're spelling like ghetto people.

Because literally every other album of there's is better.

#3 patsyinclined

patsyinclined

#StillNoAnswers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8978 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11
  • Interests:Cross dressing
    gang bangin

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:22 AM

But Amputechture is their best album????????   :iwonder:

#4 psychoshamanism

psychoshamanism

nada sin ti

• Members
  • 7800 posts
  • Joined 03-May 09

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:25 AM

fuck...

#5 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • 6830 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:31 AM

I also started listening to them when De-Loused was the only album out.  I was disappointed by Frances at first and I was even more disappointed by Amp.  The album felt kind of cheesy to me, especially because of the chipmunk vocals, but also because it kind of started to feel like they were making weird prog music just for the sake of making weird prog music (which is why I'm glad they started to go in a different direction after Amp, unlike a lot of people... I guess it just depends on what aspects got you into the band).  To me, up until that point TMV was all about fusing weird experimental music with raw emotion, and Amp didn't really do much for me emotionally.  I like the album now, but it's still one of my least favorites.

#6 Kazza3

Kazza3

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2174 posts
  • Joined 28-December 09

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:08 AM

I do like Fances.

#7 johnb820

johnb820

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1132 posts
  • Joined 03-May 06
  • Twitter

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:10 AM

100% agree with Mataxia. Amputechture originally disappointed me  because it lacked the emotional journeys of the previous two albums. Also, it had no story to get lost in, interpreting every little word and lyric, deciphering the cryptic passages of Frances the Mute. In fact I don't think I have ever sat down and read through the lyrics along with the album ever. The album is technically magnificent, but nothing as seemingly difficult to grasp as Cassandra Gemini or as cinematic as Miranda.

This of course is not how I feel now about it. I appreciate Amputechture much more now for the musical talent on display, especially considering what came after it.

#8 bronxblanco1

bronxblanco1

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  • Joined 06-May 12

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:45 AM

I started with Deloused as well. I was pleasantly surprised by Frances and feel it is tied with Deloused for me. I think the Frances sessions are better. Amp for me is their third best album, which say a great deal! Amp is a masterpiece! TMV were never able to match their top 3 albums. I feel like Bedlam is a diluted version of amp and bedlam is still a great album....

#9 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • 6830 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:56 AM

Bedlam is similar in style to Amp but it feels like the songwriting was actually inspired, whereas like I said Amp (to me) feels like they were making weird prog songs for the sake of making weird prog songs.  I stopped listening to the band for a while around the time Amp came out and Bedlam renewed my interest in them.

#10 bronxblanco1

bronxblanco1

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  • Joined 06-May 12

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:18 AM

Amp feels more like Omar was willing to take more risks. It was bolder than bedlam. Amp felt chaotic, yet quite organized; just listen to viscera eyes. Bedlam seems to drag ass at times; agadez, askepios and cavalettas feel like they could be one long drawn out jam. I still enjoy those three and bedlam as a whole, I just feel like it is a weaker album. Plus, chipmunk voices were carried over to bedlam. The chipmunk voices are featured primarily in Mecca, which for me is the weakest track on amp. Mecca actually reminds me of bedlam...

#11 iamisandisnt

iamisandisnt

The joke is INSIDE the joke!

• Coma Donor
  • 13056 posts
  • Joined 09-February 06

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:59 AM

BLASPHEME.

It is a well known fact that this forum loves Amputechture above ALL OTHER ALBUMS. Get out of here with your culture control.

#12 Bedlampuhedron

Bedlampuhedron

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3757 posts
  • Joined 17-May 11
  • Interests:wind turbines gave me diabetes

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:04 AM

How can you not be immediately blown away by Tetra, Baphomets, Viscera, and Mecca?? (Not to disparage the other songs)

#13 iamisandisnt

iamisandisnt

• Coma Donor
  • 13056 posts
  • Joined 09-February 06

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:12 AM

Mods plz delete thread or change title to "Why do most people LOVE Amputechture?"

#14 nardo

nardo

Lord of the Links

• Dictator
  • 6205 posts
  • Joined 21-July 03

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:01 AM

I appreciate Amputechture much more now for the musical talent on display, especially considering what came after it.

Also, it was the album that I always used to get new people into TMV, my friends couldn't listen to DITC or FTM, saying it was just a bunch of noise, but with Amp they were like "oh, this is quite nice".

#15 iamisandisnt

iamisandisnt

• Coma Donor
  • 13056 posts
  • Joined 09-February 06

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:53 AM

I appreciate Amputechture much more now for the musical talent on display, especially considering what came after it.

Also, it was the album that I always used to get new people into TMV, my friends couldn't listen to DITC or FTM, saying it was just a bunch of noise, but with Amp they were like "oh, this is quite nice".

jealous... my friends always referred to it as the "album with all those underpants gnomes vocals"

#16 Kazza3

Kazza3

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2174 posts
  • Joined 28-December 09

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:54 AM

Bedlam is similar in style to Amp but it feels like the songwriting was actually inspired, whereas like I said Amp (to me) feels like they were making weird prog songs for the sake of making weird prog songs.  I stopped listening to the band for a while around the time Amp came out and Bedlam renewed my interest in them.

I don't feel like it's that similar in style to Bedlam, I mean yeah in some ways (in comparison to previous albums), but I think the aesthetic is completely different, and a lot of the style & musical elements too, they're at least as different to me as Deloused & Bedlam. And I completely disagree with the inspired bit, but obviously this is a long held view of yours and whatnot. It lacks the theatricism and, I dunno, majestic grandeur of the previous albums, but the mixing has a great deal to do with that, imo. 

Haha. Even though Amp was my first Volta album, I find this quite surprising.

#17 patsyinclined

patsyinclined

#StillNoAnswers

• Members
  • 8978 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11
  • Interests:Cross dressing
    gang bangin

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:01 AM

Cedric comes across as possessed on this album, in a good way. 

#18 half-life213

half-life213

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 497 posts
  • Joined 21-August 12

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:50 AM

This album was called their "autistic child" for a reason, it had a disconnected emotional component, and tried to be too smart for it's own good, and ended up looking like a jackass.

Also, my first album was Frances, and I came to TMV because of L'Via L'Viaquez on the radio, and I'll have to admit, I was disappointed at first that there wasn't anymore outright salsa-rock songs from the album, but I still loved the album, and Eriatarka was the second song I heard from them, so you can't go wrong there.

#19 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • 6830 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:55 AM

Amp feels more like Omar was willing to take more risks. It was bolder than bedlam. Amp felt chaotic, yet quite organized; just listen to viscera eyes. Bedlam seems to drag ass at times; agadez, askepios and cavalettas feel like they could be one long drawn out jam. I still enjoy those three and bedlam as a whole, I just feel like it is a weaker album. Plus, chipmunk voices were carried over to bedlam. The chipmunk voices are featured primarily in Mecca, which for me is the weakest track on amp. Mecca actually reminds me of bedlam...

Actually it's the chipmunk vocals on Tetra and Baphomets that turn me off the most.  Tetra is one of my least favorite songs on the album to be honest, I will never understand all of the love for that song.  It's got a ton of different movements and technical playing, but nothing in the song really moves me.

Viscera Eyes has been kind of disappointing to me ever since I learned that Omar didn't write the main riff in the second half.  Still love that song though.

Mecca is probably my favorite song on the album.  It was the only one I really enjoyed when the album first leaked.

@johnb820 I'm pretty sure Amp actually is a concept album.  Back around the time of its release there was an article saying it wasn't, but Cedric never actually said that himself.  And I think the idea that it wasn't a concept album just kind of spread from that point and that became the general consensus.  But there are several interviews (and he mentioned it on his youtube channel too) where he said the album is like a tv show where each song is an episode that follows a different character/different events but they are related in some way.

#20 A.N.Other

A.N.Other

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3006 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:15 AM

Really, another thread about this? It seems to me that these days Amputechture is quite well appreciated on this forum (especially compared to how it was initially met in 2006).

Now Bedlam and Octahedron, these are the albums that truly need more love.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: amputechture

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users