IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

(#037) Arañas en la SombraRelease Date: 26th of August, 2016 (ex-The Somnambulists???)

• Please log in to reply
963 replies to this topic

#41 nickyb91

nickyb91

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts
  • Joined 29-July 10

Posted 15 July 2016 - 10:08 PM

If Cedric was the one who leaked the TMV stuff in 2013, then he had the instrumental of Asco Que Conmueve los Puntos Erogenos.  That would lead me to believe he was given that material as part of a potential TMV album. 

#42 hbk111

hbk111

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3160 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 15 July 2016 - 10:10 PM

I don't think it was him but Asco was there and two tracks from Unicorn.

#43 Ghost Of Shark Horse

Ghost Of Shark Horse

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1694 posts
  • Joined 15-June 15

Posted 15 July 2016 - 10:22 PM

Wonder if any Vato Negro is on any of these albums?

#44 Andrewf

Andrewf

Custom Rank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5085 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 15 July 2016 - 10:38 PM

If LP6 would be best tracks from Unicorn and best tracks from Noctorniquet, it could be a much better fukin album

#45 kathygriffin

kathygriffin

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Joined 12-December 06

Posted 15 July 2016 - 11:01 PM

I'm not as up on timelines and whatnot as much as many of you, but if there were 2 scratched LP6s, 1 with Thomas and 1 with Deantoni, than what is the likelihood that Un Escorpion was the scratched Deantoni LP6?

#46 kathygriffin

kathygriffin

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Joined 12-December 06

Posted 15 July 2016 - 11:10 PM

About Xeno, do you consider that if Cedric would sing, it would be released just like it is now as a TMV album? Or just some of the songs?

I think they would have added a couple more songs to make it longer, would have mixed and mastered it a little better, and added layers and effects to give it more of a Volta shine, and then Cedric would likely have had different vocal melodies than what Omar and Ximena did, and would have sung in English.

If Xeno is really a scrapped volta album, well then... thank god... It would be the worst album definitly.

It's hard to imagine what it would have ultimately sounded like as a finished Volta record, but I can't shake this feeling that it might have been my favorite. Or at least up there with Frances and Deloused. But -- and I'm not knocking you -- I think you said Octahedron was your favorite Volta record, so we obviously have different tastes.

#47 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • 6976 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted 15 July 2016 - 11:21 PM

Pretty sure a lot of Unicorn was recorded in the same sessions as Noctourniquet.  So it wouldn't have been a scrapped LP6, but it may have been a scrapped LP7.

I don't remember him ever specifically saying that there was a scrapped LP6 with Deantoni.  I just know that Omar had been working on an electronic oriented record with Deantoni and it ended up becoming Noctourniquet with some additional tracks.  I think the two scrapped albums you're referring to hbk might actually be one and the same, I'm not sure that there was another one scrapped after Xenophanes.  But it was kind of confusing around that time because he mentioned it in a few different interviews and was vague about it.

#48 hbk111

hbk111

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3160 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 16 July 2016 - 12:42 AM

Here's one quote, but I'm looking for another one where he mentioned two..

"Working quickly, as is his nature, he wrote and recorded all the music for the album shortly after mixing Octahedron. “Basically, I finished that record, moved to Mexico, set up my studio and recorded about 30 songs in a two-week span,” he says. “Out of that batch of songs came Noctourniquet.”

#49 xpgno

xpgno

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4826 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 16 July 2016 - 04:34 AM

I read somewhere that Omar eats waffles for breakfast. Is there any truth to this? Please back up quotations with links to articles, thanks.

#50 natedog807

natedog807

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2913 posts
  • Joined 11-April 11
  • Interests:I wanted to edit this, but this just seems like a lot of work. I need to do my English essay and study for my Econ final

Posted 16 July 2016 - 04:36 AM

Hey, his work ethic is interesting along with supposed TMV albums especially those that never see the light of day. We love the music

But I heard it was actually Great Value waffles, because he mentioned in an interview that despite being from a well off family, with the amount of family in heir home they still had to budget a little so they had all of the off brand stuff. I'll try and find it in the archive.

#51 iamisandisnt

iamisandisnt

The joke is INSIDE the joke!

• Members
  • 13056 posts
  • Joined 09-February 06

Posted 16 July 2016 - 05:10 AM

Can anyone explain why everybody seems to think Unicorn Skeleton Mask was designated as a TMV album at some point in time? It seems much less cohesive than Xenophanes, which sounds more like it "could have been a Volta album"

As far as I'm concerned, the only actual "scrapped Volta albums" are the Jacob Jam album that would have come after Amputechture, and one that was recorded after Bedlam that probably is Xenophanes (same energy but upbeat instead of angry)

I know he did say he had an urge to create something in polar opposite of the last Volta album whenever he wrote, such as Jacob Jam was too similar to Amputechture, and so he wrote Bedlam.

I could see why Xenophanes would be "too similar" and he'd scrap it to make Octahedron and later grab songs from his pile to make Nocto

I think the thing most people are missing is that Omar went from writing primarily Volta albums with some spares on the side for solo projects, to just primarily producing music, and occasionally labeling some of it as Mars Volta.

Whether or not it was ever a "Mars Volta" album is basically "did Cedric write lyrics and vocals to it?" in which case we only have 6, count them, 6

#52 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 6230 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Interests:Ask me about prison.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 16 July 2016 - 09:39 AM

UMS has a similar vive to Noct despite sounding like it was recorded with potatoes. I think some of it may have been written during the Octa sessions too. Who knows. It was a weird time and everyone was sober

#53 Andrewf

Andrewf

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 5085 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 16 July 2016 - 12:23 PM

^
After instrumental versions of "sea is rising" and "happiness" were leaked, we found out that songs from USM were fucked up by omar on purpose, since the leaked version sounds much better and its the same recordings that appeared on USM. I remember even doing "clean versions" of the 2 tracks back in the day. I will try to post them on youtube tomorrow

#54 Andrewf

Andrewf

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 5085 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 16 July 2016 - 12:33 PM

Can anyone explain why everybody seems to think Unicorn Skeleton Mask was designated as a TMV album at some point in time? It seems much less cohesive than Xenophanes, which sounds more like it "could have been a Volta album"

"Storm shadow", "sea is rising" and especially "Names" sound like nocto Volta a lot.

Whether or not it was ever a "Mars Volta" album is basically "did Cedric write lyrics and vocals to it?" in which case we only have 6, count them, 6

*cough* cryptomnesia *cough*

#55 hbk111

hbk111

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3160 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 16 July 2016 - 03:51 PM

Don't forget Old Money which is confirmed to be a scrapped LP. I'm still convinced some of that was written after France's, some after Amp, but as a record it could have been edited down and possibly made into LP 4. But it sounded too close to the previous two records. Then they did the long Jacob Jam or as we call it "Secrets of our Children", which was also scrapped once Deantoni couldn't commit. Thomas comes in, and we get Bedlam.

Xeno sounds like it belongs in between Bedlam and Octa but he didn't make a record in between those two as far as we know. He confirmed many times that he started writing Xeno (or whatever it is) during the recording phase of Octahedron. He finished it after Octa in late 2008.

#56 iamisandisnt

iamisandisnt

The joke is INSIDE the joke!

• Members
  • 13056 posts
  • Joined 09-February 06

Posted 16 July 2016 - 04:26 PM

Don't forget Old Money which is confirmed to be a scrapped LP. I'm still convinced some of that was written after France's, some after Amp, but as a record it could have been edited down and possibly made into LP 4. But it sounded too close to the previous two records. Then they did the long Jacob Jam or as we call it "Secrets of our Children", which was also scrapped once Deantoni couldn't commit. Thomas comes in, and we get Bedlam.

Xeno sounds like it belongs in between Bedlam and Octa but he didn't make a record in between those two as far as we know. He confirmed many times that he started writing Xeno (or whatever it is) during the recording phase of Octahedron. He finished it after Octa in late 2008.

I thought he literally made one after each Volta album then scrapped it almost like a point of practice

Totally forgot about Old Money - but that has Abortion, the Other White Meat so if we assume all the songs were written together, and with a title like "Old Money" and throwaway conspiracy theory song titles, you could assume it was pretty old material that he just wanted to clear out, so Frances era totally makes sense

Forgot about Crypto.

Don't you think they did that from the ground up knowing it wouldn't be Volta, though?

#57 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • 6976 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted 16 July 2016 - 07:53 PM

Cryptomnesia probably wasn't ever intended to be released under the Volta name, but it's basically a Volta album (in the words of Cedric).  I believe it was specifically stated that Old Money was a scrapped follow up to Amputechture, but it's kind of an amalgamation of stuff with several different drummers and everything, so it probably would've been changed a bit had it turned into a completed Volta album.  Edited down, parts re-recorded, etc.  So yeah there were technically two scrapped LP4s.  As far as we know there was nothing made between Bedlam and Octa, and at least SWBW was a Bedlam outtake.

#58 hbk111

hbk111

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3160 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 16 July 2016 - 08:11 PM

I think Omar and Deantoni nailed about 30 songs in the summer or fall of 2009, some of that ended up on Nocto. The rest was probably Unicorn Skeleton Mask and another record.

Crypto was made as a reaction to Amputechture. Cedric took 2 years to come up with vocals. Layed them down the same month as he did the vocals for Octahedron (August 2008).

When was Octahedron mixed? Cuz that quote that I posted, at least whoever wrote the article, added that Omar started writing those electronic tunes right after mixing Octa and moving to Mexico.

#59 Andrewf

Andrewf

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 5085 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:00 AM

There are a lot of websites reporting this to feature original TMV lineup and JF, including billboard, (they all cite the first website we found as a source) however this particular article is full of shit:
http://musicfeeds.co...ohn-frusciante/
Here are some of the quotes:

Today, the rocker has announced he has a whole album of unheard The Mars Volta tracks in his hot little hands featuring John Frusciante. And he wants to release it.

The album was dubbed Arañas en La Sombra and actually features the original Mars Volta line up, both deceased and otherwise indicating that this will be a hugely important cultural centre-piece for the bands cult-like followers.

Both deceased??? I wonder whom they meant? Eva and Jon?

#60 Alpha

Alpha

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts
  • Joined 28-December 14

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:48 AM

Yeah, I've seen part of the interwebz goin' nuts over this...Imagine how all of those sites spreading the rumour as a fact would feel if the info ends up being fake (as if they'd really care)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users