IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

King Crimsonyour favourite album?

• Please log in to reply
3389 replies to this topic

Poll: What's your favourite KC album? (220 member(s) have cast votes)

What's your favourite KC album?

1. In The Court Of The Crimson King (71 votes [33.97%])

Percentage of vote: 33.97%

2. In The Wake Of Poseidon (3 votes [1.44%])

Percentage of vote: 1.44%

3. Lizard (6 votes [2.87%])

Percentage of vote: 2.87%

4. Islands (7 votes [3.35%])

Percentage of vote: 3.35%

5. Larks\' Tongues In Aspic (23 votes [11.00%])

Percentage of vote: 11.00%

6. Starless And Bible Black (8 votes [3.83%])

Percentage of vote: 3.83%

7. Red (60 votes [28.71%])

Percentage of vote: 28.71%

8. Discipline (13 votes [6.22%])

Percentage of vote: 6.22%

9. Beat (7 votes [3.35%])

Percentage of vote: 3.35%

10. Three Of A Perfect Pair (1 votes [0.48%])

Percentage of vote: 0.48%

11. Vrooom (1 votes [0.48%])

Percentage of vote: 0.48%

12. Thrak (4 votes [1.91%])

Percentage of vote: 1.91%

13. The ConstruKtion Of Light (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

14. The Power To Believe (5 votes [2.39%])

Percentage of vote: 2.39%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#3281 Andrewf

Andrewf

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4868 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 30 March 2020 - 02:19 PM

isolated keys by Bill for "the letters". I wonder what gig it's taken from

https://www.dgmlive....for The Letters

#3282 Pongo

Pongo

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1122 posts
  • Joined 09-September 04

Posted 31 March 2020 - 03:07 PM

crazy interview with RHCP roadie Rob Rule in 80s/90s. Lots of interesting stuff. He mention Adrian Belew auditioned for RHCP in 1992! And John returned in 98 as a kind of cashgrab

https://translate.go...sCI96U1eOOCfzkw

During this process they are there with Adrian Belew [guitarist who played in the band of Frank Zappa, David Bowie, Talking Heads, King Crimson… among others] . I was a super fan of Adrian Belew, I love what he does and who he is. And they set me up to pick him up at the airport, with my pickup '81, and take him to that same rehearsal studio. And he arrived two hours early. I brought his whole rack full of effects and stuff, so I played with him for two hours. He went on drums and I on bass, then he played bass and I played guitar. I was there with him these two hours, and he was the most amazing person in the world. Then the band arrived and they did another two hours of jam. So you can imagine, Chad and Flea playing with Adrian Belew while he did his thing. And Mark[Johnson, one of the band's team members] recorded it all on a cassette tape that he has somewhere. I even asked him, “What happened to that damn Mark tape? Throw that thing! ” [Laughs] . But I don't know where it ended up.

Holy crap! Imagine turning down Adrian Belew.for your frat rock band. This is up there with Trent Reznor telling him "actually we want a guitarist that plays the exact same thing every night" for his NIN tour.

#3283 Kenticus69

Kenticus69

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2943 posts
  • Joined 21-June 05

Posted 31 March 2020 - 04:53 PM

crazy interview with RHCP roadie Rob Rule in 80s/90s. Lots of interesting stuff. He mention Adrian Belew auditioned for RHCP in 1992! And John returned in 98 as a kind of cashgrab

During this process they are there with Adrian Belew [guitarist who played in the band of Frank Zappa, David Bowie, Talking Heads, King Crimson… among others] . I was a super fan of Adrian Belew, I love what he does and who he is. And they set me up to pick him up at the airport, with my pickup '81, and take him to that same rehearsal studio. And he arrived two hours early. I brought his whole rack full of effects and stuff, so I played with him for two hours. He went on drums and I on bass, then he played bass and I played guitar. I was there with him these two hours, and he was the most amazing person in the world. Then the band arrived and they did another two hours of jam. So you can imagine, Chad and Flea playing with Adrian Belew while he did his thing. And Mark[Johnson, one of the band's team members] recorded it all on a cassette tape that he has somewhere. I even asked him, “What happened to that damn Mark tape? Throw that thing! ” [Laughs] . But I don't know where it ended up.

Holy crap! Imagine turning down Adrian Belew.for your frat rock band. This is up there with Trent Reznor telling him "actually we want a guitarist that plays the exact same thing every night" for his NIN tour.

I mean would Adrian really fit with either RHCP or NIN? His personality alone would dominate the proceedings, which imo is fine for his solo work and I guess for his era of KC, but would not fit either RHCP or NIN, and I say that knowing he played on some NIN tracks in studio.

For RHCP - AK is the undeniable frontman there and just could never imagine Adrian being just guitars and backing vocals. Also, RHCP still routinely plays like 10 min jams and improvises a ton love so not INSANE for ade to be with them but wouldn’t work imo.

For NIN - it’s trents vision what the band does and every member serves at his pleasure, except Atticus Ross who is now the other full member. Adrian’s live image of always smiling and having a good time prolly clashes with trents vision of how NIN should present live.

#3284 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6091 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Interests:Ask me about prison.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 01 April 2020 - 02:30 AM

During this process they are there with Adrian Belew [guitarist who played in the band of Frank Zappa, David Bowie, Talking Heads, King Crimson… among others] . I was a super fan of Adrian Belew, I love what he does and who he is. And they set me up to pick him up at the airport, with my pickup '81, and take him to that same rehearsal studio. And he arrived two hours early. I brought his whole rack full of effects and stuff, so I played with him for two hours. He went on drums and I on bass, then he played bass and I played guitar. I was there with him these two hours, and he was the most amazing person in the world. Then the band arrived and they did another two hours of jam. So you can imagine, Chad and Flea playing with Adrian Belew while he did his thing. And Mark[Johnson, one of the band's team members] recorded it all on a cassette tape that he has somewhere. I even asked him, “What happened to that damn Mark tape? Throw that thing! ” [Laughs] . But I don't know where it ended up.

I mean would Adrian really fit with either RHCP or NIN? His personality alone would dominate the proceedings, which imo is fine for his solo work and I guess for his era of KC, but would not fit either RHCP or NIN, and I say that knowing he played on some NIN tracks in studio.

For RHCP - AK is the undeniable frontman there and just could never imagine Adrian being just guitars and backing vocals. Also, RHCP still routinely plays like 10 min jams and improvises a ton love so not INSANE for ade to be with them but wouldn’t work imo.

For NIN - it’s trents vision what the band does and every member serves at his pleasure, except Atticus Ross who is now the other full member. Adrian’s live image of always smiling and having a good time prolly clashes with trents vision of how NIN should present live.

https://www.youtube....h?v=2KQjy02eqOk

But he was able to do just that.  Belew CAN be a good backing man.  He did it Talking Heads, as well as in Zappa's and Bowie's bands.  He can be reigned in.  

#3285 Andrewf

Andrewf

Goliath

• Members
  • 4868 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 01 April 2020 - 06:44 AM

Adrian said on facebook that he just jammed with them not really audition. Either way Adrian was too good for them and both understood that i think. Zappa, Bowie and talking heads was before king crimson

#3286 Veni-yan Warrior

Veni-yan Warrior

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3464 posts
  • Joined 27-February 05

Posted 03 April 2020 - 08:25 PM

Here's a wild transition for ya:

Improv III (4/1/74 Starless CD 17) [02:05] > Radical Action II (Radical Action CD 1) [02:27]

#3287 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 6091 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 04 April 2020 - 03:32 AM

they just added all their studio albums to youtube

#3288 Veni-yan Warrior

Veni-yan Warrior

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3464 posts
  • Joined 27-February 05

Posted 04 April 2020 - 08:40 PM

Yes, we're there. The live albums are most fun to quickly pull up on YT.

#3289 Kenticus69

Kenticus69

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2943 posts
  • Joined 21-June 05

Posted 08 April 2020 - 01:36 PM

Apparently there’s gonna be a 2008 tour bundle at some point this year per alex mundy (works for DGM) in the DGM forums. That would be interesting......looks like shouldn’t expect any release news about current band until world is back to normal though. So that’s a thing.

Also if you pop over to Fripps Facebook, there’s video of him practicing something of some sort that has that fracture type style to it but isn’t fracture or anything else that my ears can identify. Maybe more new tunes being worked up in this time of isolation?

#3290 Veni-yan Warrior

Veni-yan Warrior

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3464 posts
  • Joined 27-February 05

Posted 08 April 2020 - 01:54 PM

That semi-muted arpeggio is pretty sweet. Maybe a new FraKctified

#3291 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 6091 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 08 April 2020 - 03:21 PM

Apparently there’s gonna be a 2008 tour bundle at some point this year per alex mundy (works for DGM) in the DGM forums. That would be interesting......looks like shouldn’t expect any release news about current band until world is back to normal though. So that’s a thing.

Also if you pop over to Fripps Facebook, there’s video of him practicing something of some sort that has that fracture type style to it but isn’t fracture or anything else that my ears can identify. Maybe more new tunes being worked up in this time of isolation?

I've heard 3 shows from the tour.  They all seem pretty similar with only the slightest of set variances.  I'd be curious if there are any studio/rehearsal jams though, like the slimmest of snippets we have of the lost '04 double duo line-up.

#3292 Kenticus69

Kenticus69

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2943 posts
  • Joined 21-June 05

Posted 08 April 2020 - 05:37 PM

That semi-muted arpeggio is pretty sweet. Maybe a new FraKctified

Right? I thought it sounded pretty gnarly - who knows, maybe all the time spent at home has the guy working up another heavy guitar piece for the first time in a minute

#3293 Kenticus69

Kenticus69

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2943 posts
  • Joined 21-June 05

Posted 08 April 2020 - 05:42 PM

I've heard 3 shows from the tour. They all seem pretty similar with only the slightest of set variances. I'd be curious if there are any studio/rehearsal jams though, like the slimmest of snippets we have of the lost '04 double duo line-up.

Yeaaaahhhhhhh was gonna say imagine not a ton of variance in 2008 shows. Consistent setlist and they already released Chicago and then the compilation New York show in heaven and earth

#3294 Kenticus69

Kenticus69

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2943 posts
  • Joined 21-June 05

Posted 11 April 2020 - 10:40 PM

Full 2008 tour is available to download now on DGM

#3295 Andrewf

Andrewf

Goliath

• Members
  • 4868 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 12 April 2020 - 05:34 AM

All 2020 gigs postponed to 2021

#3296 Veni-yan Warrior

Veni-yan Warrior

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3464 posts
  • Joined 27-February 05

Posted 12 April 2020 - 05:45 AM

Yep. I am saddened.

#3297 Kenticus69

Kenticus69

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2943 posts
  • Joined 21-June 05

Posted 12 April 2020 - 04:28 PM

Crazy to think that 2020 will be the first year since 2013 without any king crimson shows. Here’s to hoping they spend this time writing music, compiling stuff to release (the documentary and hopefully whatever their fave 2018 show getting released would be a cool send off to bill), and Do whatever it is they wanna do

#3298 Veni-yan Warrior

Veni-yan Warrior

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3464 posts
  • Joined 27-February 05

Posted 13 April 2020 - 05:16 AM

I'm sure Stick Men and The Pineapple Thief tours are still happening in the fall, which also makes rescheduling KC an impossibility. Oh, and TOAPP camp in August.

#3299 Andrewf

Andrewf

Goliath

• Members
  • 4868 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 13 April 2020 - 05:38 AM

Mel Collins also tours with a Dire Straits tribute band. April gigs were postponed to October. I plan on visiting them in Moscow

#3300 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 6091 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 13 April 2020 - 02:19 PM

Crazy to think that 2020 will be the first year since 2013 without any king crimson shows. Here’s to hoping they spend this time writing music, compiling stuff to release (the documentary and hopefully whatever their fave 2018 show getting released would be a cool send off to bill), and Do whatever it is they wanna do

Call me mad, but I  would love for them to make a Frippertronics boxset.  This would be the perfect time to assemble that.

And yes, get the film done and put it out on Vimeo or a similar service for rental/purchase like King Gizzard is doing with their concert film

Honestly I'm good on getting a respite from live Crimson.  When I saw them in 2014 I figured it was going to be the only time I saw them....3 more times later and I'm like "I can take a break from this".  Maybe actually write/record an LP of new material.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users