IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

HIP-HOP CONVENTION FOR THE UNINFORMEDRecommendations In Opening Post, Wealth Of Knowledge Throughout Thread

• Please log in to reply
7709 replies to this topic

#1 hottnikkels

hottnikkels

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7911 posts
  • Joined 07-December 03
  • Interests:Art, Girls, Music

Posted 22 April 2005 - 06:53 PM

Posted Image

Hello! and welcome to The Comatorium's first ever hip-hop convention for the uniformed. I Hottnikkels will be your host for the evening and what an exciting and informative evening it will be. We have an all-star line-up of some of the comatoriums best and brightest members that will be voicing their opinions on the benefits of listening to hip-hop music and why one would be best to not dismiss an entire genre of music and especially one as creative and promising as the genre of hip-hop. This convention is inspired by the realization that a large number of Comatoriums feel that this genre has nothing to offer and is only about bling-bling, degrading women, and violence. This convention's not saying you have to like hip-hop, but rather that you should respect it and understand that it's just as promising and authentic as any other art-form or musical genre. Our speakers for the evening are myself, Nivius, Dr. Fong, and Stalktheground 11. (Note: some of these posts have been edited to fit into the context of this convention, but no words have been added and the points remain the same)

Well without further adue our first speaker will be Nivius and our good friend and jazzman Agrajag has infromed me that he has prepared an introduction speech.

Oh damn.  Nivius is about to come in and start ripping you up, Brace yourself  :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

umm................ *clears throat* thank you for that Agrajag :mellow:

Hip hop is in many ways the most innovative and consistently evolving music genre around, as well as the newest.  So yeah, you've got The Game and 50 Cent, but for those guys there is a creative flank, as is the case with ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING.

Check it;
Unsatisfied with 50?  Listen to MF Doom.
Don't dig The Game?  Try Blackalicious.
Absolutely hate Eminem?  Please. get to Aesop Rock.
Craving for some creative rap in the mainstream?  Outkast.

I can name more shitty rock acts than I can rap acts.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

*high-fives Nivius*

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well put Nivius, a man of few words, but he knows how to get to the heart of an argument. And that was nice of you to show your support Stalks. Well I suppose I'll go next.

The possibilities with rap are as endless as any other genre. I don't see why people continue to single out the genre of hip-hop as something less substantial or less promising than any other artform. Hip-hop has the ability to incorporate anything and everything a person chooses to fuse it with. Just because YOU don't see a huge amount of variety in alot of hip-hop doesn't mean it isn't happening. Hip-hop is the youngest of all the popular genres, it's only been around for 20 years and it's been evolving and growing since it's birth just like every other genre of music. Hip-hop can go where ever you can take it, and you can be as creative as your mind will allow you to be, you don't have to sample or loop anything, you can put together a rock band and make hip-hop music, you can put together a jazz trio and make hip-hop music, you can put together a damn polka group and make hip-hop music if you want to, or you can fuse all of those genres together and make hip-hop music and you could stay true to the form and retain the essence and spirit thats existed in hip-hop since the beginning. American popular rock didn't start until the late 40's and it was 20 years after that when Sgt. Pepper was released and made people aware of all of it's possibilities. I'm already aware of hip-hop's potential and thanks to the open-mindedness of the youth, all of the great music to be inspired by, and p2p internet sharing the most creative minds of this young and already impressive genre are still yet to be seen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you, Thank you. Please take your seats, you're all to kind.

Up next we have not Dr. dre, not Dr. doom, but your one and only lovable Dr. Fong.

You need to rip your head from your ass and try to open your ears to some genuinely innovative music, rock and roll borrows from itself all the time, but since you need a reason to condemn an entire genre you can't accept it's being done in rap.  Hip hop is the most vocally based music form, it relies on a person being actually talented at writing lyrics and following a poetic meter. I repeat, take your head out of your ass, then listen to some music you've never heard before, read a book, then kill yourself.

AND ITS ORIGINAL

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fong, that burn was very nice. Worthy of five golf claps.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fong I love you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, well, well, looks like Fong's got a few supporters. Well put my friend your cander is offensive, enlightening, and hilarious all at the same time and you have my admiration.

Closing things out tonite we have our resident intellectual and occasional funnyman Mr. Stalktheground11.

To be quite honest, there is more of a sense of discovery, independence, freshness, and relevance to hip hop than there is in rock right now. Even currently good bands like The Arcade Fire and Broken Social Scene exist on the basis of foundations laid by bands before them whereas hip-hop is the only medium with something to say. Just because there is much bullshit on the radio does not constitute the dismissal of an entire genre.

I don't give a damn what anybody says but as tough as it was to write Deloused in the Comatorium, it was probably as tough to bring together Shades of Blue or Madvillainy. In fact, I'd argue there is more of an intellectual sense of criticism in hip-hop than there ever was in rock.  Rarely, excluding the lyrical dryness of certain bands during the punk era, has there been a rock band with the same weight lyrically - rock bands seem to only criticize society in terms of their musical approach. With hip-hop, the ideas are substantiated by the music and then subsequently prevalent in the wordplay and furthermore, through sampling, hip-hop always can retain a fresh identity. If anything rock is more visceral and less thought out than rap, so I don't want to hear anymore of this bullshit about the lack of intellect in hip-hop. A couple of bad apples on the radio don't ruin rock music - I don't see why the same shouldn't hold true for hip-hop.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WOW, CAN YOU SAY WNED?

Seriously though, well said.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That WAS well said and that concludes our first ever hip-hop convention for the uninformed, but wait, I know alot of you are thinking well I'm hearing all of these great things, but where can I find these albums and what are they. Well your in luck cause here are a few good hip-hop albums to download and I encourage others to add onto this list with their own posts.

Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030
MF Doom - MM Food
Blackalicious - Blazing Arrow
Binary Star - Masters Of The Universe
Madvillain - Madvillainy
Haiku D'Etat - Haiku D'Etat
The Pharcyde - Bizarre Ride To The Pharcyde
Dalek - Absence
Mos Def - Black on Both Sides
A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders
Prefuse 73 - One Word Extinguisher
Slum Village - Fantastic Vol. 1
Count Bass D - Dwight Spitz
Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein
Gnarls Barkley - St. Elsewhere
Jneiro Jarel - Three Piece Puzzle
Aceyalone - All Balls Don't Bounce
Time Machine - Slow Your Roll
Panacea - Ink Is My Drink
Subtle - For Hero: For Fool
J Dilla - Donuts
King Gheedorah - Take Me To Your Leader
Flying Lotus - 1983
Dr. Octagon - Dr Octagonacologyst
Q-Tip - Kamaal The Abstract
Dj Shadow - Endtroducing
DM (Danger Mouse) and Gemini - Ghetto Pop Life
Organized Konfusion - Organized Konfusion
The Roots - The Roots Come Alive
Boom Bip & Doseone - Circle
Outkast - Stankonia
RjD2 - Deadringer
Souls of Mischief - 93 Till Infinity
Aesop Rock - Labor Days
Cage - Hell's Winter
Jurassic 5 - Power In Numbers
Nas - Illmatic
Digable planets - Reachin
Yesterday's New Quintet - Angles Without Edges
Blackstar - Blackstar
De La Soul - De La Soul Is Dead
Madlib - Shades of Blue
Common - Resurrection
Quasimoto - The Unseen
The foreign Exchange - Connected
13 and God - 13 and God
Cyne - Evolution Fight
DangerDoom - The Mouse and The Mask
Gza - liquid swords
Edan - Beauty and the Beat
Sound Directions - The Funky Side Of Life

Please feel more than free to post this link anytime you feel it's necessary, and hopefully this convention will save some of us alot of time and energy in the future.

#2 Siddhis

Siddhis

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1993 posts
  • Joined 13-December 03
  • Interests:girls that are minors, little azn boys that look like girls that are minors

Posted 22 April 2005 - 07:44 PM

if it ain't Falco what's the point?!

#3 D-i-a-n-a

D-i-a-n-a

Moo

• Members
  • 15808 posts
  • Joined 24-March 04

Posted 22 April 2005 - 08:05 PM

That was the single best first thread opening post I've seen... ever.

Props to you guys for making this. Good hip-hop really doesn't deserve to be held back by some mainstream shitty bands.

I'm really sad that I can't share with you one of my favourite hip-hop bands, because they're romanian, and well... we all know how important lyrics are for hip-hop music (I actually think this is the genre with that pays the most attention to lyrics). They have brilliant lyrics, but hardly even translatable because of the huge amount of romanian expressions and word plays, that would lose sense in another language. :ol_sad:

#4 Stalktheground11

Stalktheground11

The Bling Bling Voyager Version 3.2

• Members
  • 14170 posts
  • Joined 11-November 03
  • Interests:ROLLERBLADING

Posted 22 April 2005 - 08:44 PM

I really love you, hotnikkels.

I swoon for you....Thank you for making this thread.

#5 Oceanic

Oceanic

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 6252 posts
  • Joined 10-February 04
  • Interests:LWOWL

Posted 22 April 2005 - 08:46 PM

Yeah nice friggin' thread.

#6 Mr. Id

Mr. Id

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 178 posts
  • Joined 02-March 05

Posted 22 April 2005 - 08:48 PM

Bla bla bla.

Comparing hip hop to music is like comparing this chat board with To Kill a Mockingbird.

Sure it's fun to read sometimes, and it even offers a lot that Harper Lee's masterpiece does not, but it is quantitatively and qualitatively, fundamentally, different and lesser altogether.

#7 Stalktheground11

Stalktheground11

The Bling Bling Voyager Version 3.2

• Members
  • 14170 posts
  • Joined 11-November 03
  • Interests:ROLLERBLADING

Posted 22 April 2005 - 08:56 PM

I would love for you to explain to how hip-hop is fundamentally different and lesser, Professor McGeniustastic. Because until then, your opinion means absolutely nothing without substantiation.

#8 Smilin' Desperado

Smilin' Desperado

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4040 posts
  • Joined 10-September 03
  • Interests:Reading, Cooking, Music, Tv Shows, Food Network, not doing laundry, beach, the sun, cold weather, expensive dinners, shoes ,comfortable clothes, google, kittens, puppies, wikipedia, electronic music, being high, baked goods, being awesome.
  • Facebook
  • Myspace

Posted 22 April 2005 - 09:01 PM

wu tang clan-36 chambers

#9 Smilin' Desperado

Smilin' Desperado

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4040 posts
  • Joined 10-September 03
  • Interests:Reading, Cooking, Music, Tv Shows, Food Network, not doing laundry, beach, the sun, cold weather, expensive dinners, shoes ,comfortable clothes, google, kittens, puppies, wikipedia, electronic music, being high, baked goods, being awesome.
  • Facebook
  • Myspace

Posted 22 April 2005 - 09:01 PM

Posted Image

#10 YURAKAPTIV

YURAKAPTIV

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts
  • Joined 29-January 04
  • Interests:painting,doind abstract art,jamming on my electronic machines,lsitening to music,watch movies,not really a reader although I have read some Chomsky,Jung,Leary,Moore books.The only book read now is St.Germain on Alchemy:Formulas for Self Transformation.

Posted 22 April 2005 - 09:56 PM

Saul Williams-self titled
Saul Williams-Amythest Rockstar
Anti-Pop Consortium-Arrrythmia
Anti Pop Consortium-The Ends Against the Middle
all Outkast albums

#11 prehistoric

prehistoric

Ukiyo-e

• Members
  • 9111 posts
  • Joined 28-July 04

Posted 23 April 2005 - 12:05 AM

Posted Image

View Post

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

#12 Agajagajagajagajaga

Agajagajagajagajaga

Agrajag/Nivius

• Members
  • 12077 posts
  • Joined 21-October 03

Posted 23 April 2005 - 12:13 AM

In fact, I bet you think I'm wrong RIGHT now. Am I right?

Hahaha, clever you. You'll be right either way he answers.

And hotnikkels, I take back any shit I said about you in the freestyle thread. You know what's up. *bow* :ol_biggrin:

#13 Oceanic

Oceanic

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 6252 posts
  • Joined 10-February 04

Posted 23 April 2005 - 12:15 AM

How is there a right or a wrong?

#14 Agajagajagajagajaga

Agajagajagajagajaga

Agrajag/Nivius

• Members
  • 12077 posts
  • Joined 21-October 03

Posted 23 April 2005 - 12:34 AM

If he thinks Nivius is wrong, then Nivius's prediction is right.
If he does not think Nivius is wrong, then he thinks Nivius is right.

#15 Conduit

Conduit

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts
  • Joined 11-October 03
  • Interests:stuff and what not

Posted 23 April 2005 - 12:42 AM

Good hip-hop really doesn't deserve to be held back by some mainstream shitty bands.

View Post

also, good mainstream hip hop doesnt deserve to be held back by tons of shitty indie hip hop.

i fully support this post. I just hope it doesnt to turn into a "fuck all mainstream hip hop post-'96" If so, to paraphrase Cam, y'all not old enough to sit at the table.

#16 Agajagajagajagajaga

Agajagajagajagajaga

Agrajag/Nivius

• Members
  • 12077 posts
  • Joined 21-October 03

Posted 23 April 2005 - 12:48 AM

also, good mainstream hip hop doesnt deserve to be held back by tons of shitty indie hip hop.

How, by their definitions, can mainstream artists be held back by underground artists?

#17 D-i-a-n-a

D-i-a-n-a

Moo

• Members
  • 15808 posts
  • Joined 24-March 04

Posted 23 April 2005 - 12:48 AM

I just hope it doesnt to turn into a "fuck all mainstream hip hop post-'96" If so, to paraphrase Cam, y'all not old enough to sit at the table.

View Post

Hope so too.
Mainstream doesn't mean bad. Mainstream just means well known. MOST of what's mainstream is usually bad, but the number of exceptions isn't that small either.

I'll let hottnikkels40 finish.

Craving for some creative rap in the mainstream?  Outkast.

View Post

#18 Oceanic

Oceanic

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 6252 posts
  • Joined 10-February 04

Posted 23 April 2005 - 12:50 AM

If he thinks Nivius is wrong, then Nivius's prediction is right.
If he does not think Nivius is wrong, then he thinks Nivius is right.

View Post

Wow, way to miss the point. But ok, just cause you don't agree with the guy he's wrong.

#19 themayanlion

themayanlion

Non Serviam

• Members
  • 17022 posts
  • Joined 14-February 04

Posted 23 April 2005 - 01:01 AM

i can't believe you didn't list A Tribe Called Quest's LOW END THEORY.

other Notable Notables:

both Handsome Boy Modeling School albums
Lovage
Si-Se
Mars Ill
Illogic
Gorillaz (for good mainstream)
Pharcyde
the ROOTS

#20 themayanlion

themayanlion

Non Serviam

• Members
  • 17022 posts
  • Joined 14-February 04

Posted 23 April 2005 - 01:03 AM

How, by their definitions, can mainstream artists be held back by underground artists?

View Post

the same way shitty indie bands can hold back mainstream rock bands. not by their music, but by association.

liek if someone gets the idea that only indie bands are worth it, they wont even pay attention to good mainstream ones, simply because they are mainstream.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users