IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Clean Up The Userlisteffeciency?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 nathanchow

nathanchow

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1633 posts
  • Joined 05-September 04

Posted 06 November 2008 - 12:46 AM

Would this help efficiency of the servers? like delete everyone who hasn't been here in like 2 years.

#2 Metrognomes

Metrognomes

"reverse the polarity of the neutron flow."

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7483 posts
  • Joined 19-March 07

Posted 06 November 2008 - 01:10 AM

where's nardo? :unsure:

#3 Pluto Puppy

Pluto Puppy

น้องฟ้า

• Members
  • 6433 posts
  • Joined 14-March 05
  • Interests:Talking in my sleep, going to Indiana Jones themed parties and beating up midgets.
  • Facebook

Posted 07 November 2008 - 07:24 AM

Would this help efficiency of the servers? like delete everyone who hasn't been here in like 2 years.

It'd be kinda weird to lose the names from those old posts though. I think it would be better to delete anyone with an account older than 6 months who has never posted. Gets rid of all the accounts that were just to get access to Tremulant Sings.

#4 nardo

nardo

Lord of the Links

• Dictator
  • 6218 posts
  • Joined 21-July 03

Posted 07 November 2008 - 03:36 PM

I played around with that on my home server prior to the move, the user names are just a tiny fraction of the database, it doesn't do much to delete inactive users. And we got plenty of RAM to fit the entire db into.

Just curious, are you guys experiencing performance issues? So far the ones I spoke to, no matter where they were located, said things are pretty good on the new server. It's way quicker for me than the old one but I'm geographically close to it.

#5 Go to bed Jessica!

Go to bed Jessica!

Ring-Mod

• Members
  • 10682 posts
  • Joined 06-December 04

Posted 07 November 2008 - 10:59 PM

New server is pretty quick for me too. No issues at all so far.

#6 CUNTALOUPE

CUNTALOUPE

Xochiquetzal Brunhild

• Members
  • 8541 posts
  • Joined 15-March 05

Posted 07 November 2008 - 11:38 PM

new server is great, no problems at all like the last one.

#7 AngelsThanatos

AngelsThanatos

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Joined 18-July 08

Posted 08 November 2008 - 03:31 PM

Yup, I've had no issues at all on this server. All working fine for me.

#8 nathanchow

nathanchow

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1633 posts
  • Joined 05-September 04

Posted 09 November 2008 - 02:15 AM

It'd be kinda weird to lose the names from those old posts though. I think it would be better to delete anyone with an account older than 6 months who has never posted. Gets rid of all the accounts that were just to get access to Tremulant Sings.

yea, i thought of the nameless posts issue would be weird too. i think that "it would be better to delete anyone with an account older than 6 months who has never posted." is a great idea, too. it's a harmless improvement.

#9 Pluto Puppy

Pluto Puppy

น้องฟ้า

• Members
  • 6433 posts
  • Joined 14-March 05
  • Interests:Talking in my sleep, going to Indiana Jones themed parties and beating up midgets.
  • Facebook

Posted 12 November 2008 - 10:23 AM

It lags a little for me when I'm at work but I'd say that's probably just do to with the crazier firewall they have. But yeah, this server seems to be performing a lot better than the last. Is it cheaper as well by any chance?

#10 nardo

nardo

Lord of the Links

• Dictator
  • 6218 posts
  • Joined 21-July 03

Posted 12 November 2008 - 05:50 PM

It lags a little for me when I'm at work but I'd say that's probably just do to with the crazier firewall they have. But yeah, this server seems to be performing a lot better than the last. Is it cheaper as well by any chance?

It's not as expensive as the old one, the board is hosted on my friend's server right now so we get a discount. Glad to hear that it is fine for the most part, I have my fingers crossed it stays that way.

#11 nardo

nardo

Lord of the Links

• Dictator
  • 6218 posts
  • Joined 21-July 03

Posted 12 November 2008 - 07:18 PM

yea, i thought of the nameless posts issue would be weird too. i think that "it would be better to delete anyone with an account older than 6 months who has never posted." is a great idea, too. it's a harmless improvement.

I'll have to think about it but am leaning towards 12 months, the last 6 months have been a litte odd, with server issues and board being offline for a while among other things. I'll speak to Chris and Scott to see if they would mind.

#12 flipzoso

flipzoso

ZK

• Party Members
  • 7114 posts
  • Joined 24-October 06

Posted 14 November 2008 - 06:16 AM

Back when the idea of creating The Marble Shrine was unfolding, I looked into gather pictures from old concerts. Maybe members who had pics from old shows no longer posted, but I still thought that I would (as in, in the future) PM them asking for the pics.

The point being, sometimes I still PM old users regarding specific info. So if it doesn't slow us down majorly I think we can keep them around...?

#13 nardo

nardo

Lord of the Links

• Dictator
  • 6218 posts
  • Joined 21-July 03

Posted 14 November 2008 - 08:43 AM

Back when the idea of creating The Marble Shrine was unfolding, I looked into gather pictures from old concerts. Maybe members who had pics from old shows no longer posted, but I still thought that I would (as in, in the future) PM them asking for the pics.

The point being, sometimes I still PM old users regarding specific info. So if it doesn't slow us down majorly I think we can keep them around...?

You PM people with zero posts? :)

#14 flipzoso

flipzoso

ZK

• Party Members
  • 7114 posts
  • Joined 24-October 06

Posted 14 November 2008 - 09:58 PM

You PM people with zero posts? :)

Funny guy. I meant those who were active (and posted, duhh) but who no longer are. :tongue:

Sure, you can delete those with 0 posts.

#15 SeanceMascara

SeanceMascara

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • Joined 31-October 07
  • Facebook

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:53 PM

Why don't I stay logged in when I leave the Coma? I set the tick box to remember me and all?

Not really an issue just an annoyance.

#16 nardo

nardo

Lord of the Links

• Dictator
  • 6218 posts
  • Joined 21-July 03

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:36 PM

Why don't I stay logged in when I leave the Coma? I set the tick box to remember me and all?

Not really an issue just an annoyance.

Do you have a static IP or does it change?

#17 starla zero

starla zero

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 7129 posts
  • Joined 24-September 03

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:53 PM

I have that problem too, but nardo just solved that one, my IP changes so that must be why.

#18 SeanceMascara

SeanceMascara

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • Joined 31-October 07
  • Facebook

Posted 26 November 2008 - 04:52 AM

I think I have a static IP. I remember setting something up when forwarding ports on my router.

Also, it seems to be fixed now. I was logged in when I just got on. THanks nardo. Keep up the good work.

#19 nardo

nardo

Lord of the Links

• Dictator
  • 6218 posts
  • Joined 21-July 03

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:54 AM

I think I have a static IP. I remember setting something up when forwarding ports on my router.

Also, it seems to be fixed now. I was logged in when I just got on. THanks nardo. Keep up the good work.

It's not really a fix, I didn't do a thing. Right now the board is setup so that when your external IP (in your case, the routers) changes you need to login again as a security measure - except for sometimes when you log in, your IP changes and within a short frame of time (< 2 hours?) you visit again, you're still in. Might change that but need to consider it first.

#20 nardo

nardo

Lord of the Links

• Dictator
  • 6218 posts
  • Joined 21-July 03

Posted 29 November 2008 - 03:39 PM

I have that problem too, but nardo just solved that one, my IP changes so that must be why.

You should stay logged in now even if your IP changes. It did work for me, at least.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users