IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

System of a DownSystem over a cup of tea, anyone?

• Please log in to reply
299 replies to this topic

#281 Fonz

Fonz

Truth soldier

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8193 posts
  • Joined 13-October 06
  • Interests:Writing, Music, Film.
  • Facebook

Posted 07 March 2019 - 03:54 PM

I don’t know what that is. I’m only referring to jump cuts. It’s a video producers equivalent to a speech impediment.

In regards to the needle drop review guy, I don’t see the argument for the “context” in his case. Over the years there hasn’t been much innovation in his production value besides jump cutting to absurd video effects and vocal grunts and weird shit like that. You would think the production value or a second camera would come into play after all these years but that’s not the case.

#282 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3675 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 07 March 2019 - 04:25 PM

you're “never supposed to” have subjects look away from that much negative space, looking into the corner of the frame like that

yeah the vocal grunts are weird but like I'm saying, i just don't think most people are looking at the video and aren't going to notice any jump cuts which i don't even think are the biggest problem in the world to begin with. thumbnail art is way more heinous these days imo. what does he need a second camera for exactly, is that what you mean by production value? do we need to see the side of his face?

#283 Fonz

Fonz

Truth soldier

• Members
  • 8193 posts
  • Joined 13-October 06
  • Facebook

Posted 07 March 2019 - 04:42 PM

Idk. I appreciated the dudes opinion but I guess the presentation isn’t my cup of tea anymore. Second camera isn’t necessary, I guess his format is what it is. I spent way too much energy on it for sure, and we lost an entire page to this subject.

#284 Alderetism

Alderetism

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 7669 posts
  • Joined 04-September 09
  • Interests:Peace, love and bass.

Posted 07 March 2019 - 06:38 PM

rip

#285 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 5586 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14
  • Interests:Friend of cats and foxes.

Posted 07 March 2019 - 06:50 PM

You would've wasted it anyway. This way, you've learned something or at least been taught at.

#286 Andrewf

Andrewf

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4326 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 07 March 2019 - 09:38 PM

you're “never supposed to” have subjects look away from that much negative space, looking into the corner of the frame like that

yeah the vocal grunts are weird but like I'm saying, i just don't think most people are looking at the video and aren't going to notice any jump cuts which i don't even think are the biggest problem in the world to begin with. thumbnail art is way more heinous these days imo. what does he need a second camera for exactly, is that what you mean by production value? do we need to see the side of his face?

Indeed i mean these are just album reviews, we dont even need to see his face, and all of his "episodes" can be presented even as podcasts. Its not like you have to finish film school to create such a "complex piece of video art" like an album review.

#287 Andrewf

Andrewf

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4326 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 07 March 2019 - 09:43 PM

Back on topic: unfortunately the worst gig ive ever been to right now is system of a down. But that has nothing to do with the band or performance. Its just that venue acoustics were so fukin shitty that a 240p youtube amateur mobile phone video with distorted sound and shaky camera of a soad concert anywhere else would have been a better experience than the abomination ive experienced. I could hear only the drums and the crowd singing and i could recognize the song theyre playing only by the end of the 2nd chorus. Hopefully they come to moscow again in 2020 maybe or i hope to catch them in europe because i dont even feel like ive been to their gig

#288 shaREEB

shaREEB

Butthole

• Party Members
  • 11894 posts
  • Joined 17-November 08

Posted 07 March 2019 - 10:22 PM

Anthony Fantano isn’t a film maker and that right there is where this entire conversation should have ended. He makes videos sitting at a computer to talk about music. He just so happens to make money off ad revenue on YouTube. You can make videos on the internet and have no desire to be the next Hitchcock. He is an amateur and fan of music.

#289 shaREEB

shaREEB

Butthole

• Party Members
  • 11894 posts
  • Joined 17-November 08

Posted 08 March 2019 - 12:13 AM

OK but I'd say Virginity is a really underrated song

Yesssssss

And Marmalade is a banger

#290 Petra

Petra

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • Joined 16-February 09

Posted 08 March 2019 - 05:18 AM

Back on topic: unfortunately the worst gig ive ever been to right now is system of a down. But that has nothing to do with the band or performance. Its just that venue acoustics were so fukin shitty that a 240p youtube amateur mobile phone video with distorted sound and shaky camera of a soad concert anywhere else would have been a better experience than the abomination ive experienced. I could hear only the drums and the crowd singing and i could recognize the song theyre playing only by the end of the 2nd chorus. Hopefully they come to moscow again in 2020 maybe or i hope to catch them in europe because i dont even feel like ive been to their gig

That is such a frustrating feeling. On the Getaway tour I was sitting on Flea's side, pretty close to the stage,and the bass was so distorted it was like waaarwaarwaaar in my ears and the guitar notes were all bleeding together. Only parts that were totally enjoyable were the quiet songs. People in front said it sounded great which just pissed me off even more.

#291 Alderetism

Alderetism

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 7669 posts
  • Joined 04-September 09

Posted 08 March 2019 - 01:09 PM

Marmalade <3

Love Temper as well. Metro is cool too.

#292 Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man

POWDERED.TOAST.MAN

• Members
  • 11488 posts
  • Joined 20-February 10
  • Twitter

Posted 08 March 2019 - 04:43 PM

Marmalade <3

Love Temper as well. Metro is cool too.

FUCK

YOU

FOR LOVING

ME

Riding on the Metroooooooooooooo

#293 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 5586 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14
  • Interests:Friend of cats and foxes.

Posted 08 March 2019 - 07:40 PM

I've got the album by Berlin that the original is on. Snowblind is my favorite cover, but that's because it's one of the greatest songs of all time.

#294 shaREEB

shaREEB

Butthole

• Party Members
  • 11894 posts
  • Joined 17-November 08

Posted 11 April 2019 - 12:59 PM

Today’s political climate is breathing new life into SOAD for me. I’m not sure how they were this massive in the States considering the messages in their songs at the time. Admittedly I was in middle school when Toxicity came out so I wasn’t really thinking about the music lyrically as much as I was just enjoying the theatrics of their music. Like Cigaro for example is literally mocking the United States but it’s not entirely obvious because of how repetitive the and goofy the hook is.

#295 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 13771 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 02 May 2019 - 08:41 PM

"There was a time that I was waiting and rooting for it and hoping it happens, but… I'm kinda really happy with what I'm doing with Scars [On Broadway]. We all get along as friends in System Of A Down. So as friends, everything is cool and I have no problems with anybody. But then as band members, we tend to have different ways of wanting to do things. And it doesn't seem like we meet eye-to-eye as band members. So, I never say never, because you never know what happens. But at the same time, I don't see that happening anytime soon that we're all going to get together and make a new System Of A Down album."

#296 Alderetism

Alderetism

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 7669 posts
  • Joined 04-September 09

Posted 02 May 2019 - 10:12 PM

The band that made me learn and hate the word hiatus.

#297 shaREEB

shaREEB

Butthole

• Party Members
  • 11894 posts
  • Joined 17-November 08

Posted 03 May 2019 - 03:06 PM

Was Serj’s Facebook post ever posted here? He tells all...

Confessions about Soad by Serj Tankian

We are extremely lucky mofos for our fans to want a record out of our ragtag misfit of a crew after all these years, at times demanding it. This of course has led to numerous rumors about the band and our inability to make a record together coupled with he said/he said excerpts from each of our interviews in the past and present at times by sensationalism seeking media who are in no way, let’s say, changing the world for the better themselves 🙂

So I’m going to attempt to clarify things for all of our sake once and for all hopefully without vilifying anyone in the process.

It is true that I and only I was responsible for the hiatus Soad took in 2006. Everyone else wanted to continue at the same pace to tour and make records. I didn’t. Why? For numerous reasons:

Artistic: I’ve always felt continuing to do the same thing with the same people over time is artistically redundant even for a dynamic outfit like ours. By that time I felt that I needed a little time to do my own work. I wasn’t discounting restarting the process with the band later.

Egalitarianism: When we first started out our creative input and financial revenue splits were close to equal within the band. By the time Mezmerize/Hypnotize came around we were at the diametrically opposite end on both with Daron controlling both the creative process and making the lions share of publishing not to mention wanting to be the only one to do press.

I wanted to leave the band before Mezmerize/Hypnotize for these developing reasons. This is why I personally don’t feel as close to the music on those records. There were songs I wanted to bring in but was hampered by unkept promises coupled by my own passivity at the time.

Time went by, we all did our own thing. My solo career gave me the confidence as a songwriter and later composer to re-visit Soad from a position of strength at first just to tour and enjoy each others’ company, which we did and do so still.

I knew they wanted to make a record, but given the past I was hesitant. At times there would be emotionally tinged outbursts by one band member or another mostly blaming me for the band’s inactivity.

After a long time thinking and processing, about 2 years ago, I went to the guys with a proposition for a way forward as a band.

I wanted to rectify the wrongs of the past and establish a way we can all be happy moving forward so I recommended the following:

Equal creative input: by this time I had released 5 of my own records and was a better songwriter musically and Daron was getting better as a lyricist, so I said let’s each bring in 6 songs that all band members approve fully and work on them along with songs or riffs from Shavo.

Equal publishing split: I personally feel that a band is an equal partnership and finances should reflect that.

Directors cut: whomever wrote the song makes the final decision after exhausting all types of ideas from anybody within the group. I did this because in the past, I’d bring in a song that would be morphed into an undesirable version that I myself would withdraw from consideration.

Develop a new concept or theme so that it’s not just a record but a full experience.

(Obviously I’m omitting many other details here like agreeing on the “sound” of a new record which we couldn’t do either as we went back and forth with songs by Daron and myself. I remember sending lots of notes on songs by Daron, mostly from his current Scars on Broadway record, most of which I didn’t consider applicable to Soad etc, they played around with some of my songs-suffice to say I think we tried).

Ultimately I had to draw a line in the sand because I knew I could never be happy going back to how things used to be within the band.

And as we couldn’t see eye to eye on all these points we decided to put aside the idea of a record altogether for the time being.

My only regret is that we have been collectively unable to give you another Soad record. For that I apologize.

Thanks for reading

Peace

Serj

#298 Fonz

Fonz

Truth soldier

• Members
  • 8193 posts
  • Joined 13-October 06
  • Facebook

Posted 03 May 2019 - 04:39 PM

Damn that sucks.

#299 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 13771 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 04 May 2019 - 01:12 AM

Wait is that new because I'm pretty sure I've read that before

#300 shaREEB

shaREEB

Butthole

• Party Members
  • 11894 posts
  • Joined 17-November 08

Posted 04 May 2019 - 05:57 AM

No it was posted a little while back and I just realized it’s never been shared here. He posted that on Facebook after being badgered about it for a while. It was basically an open letter to get everyone to back off

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users