IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

How many songs do you have in your library?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Poll: Library Size (4 member(s) have cast votes)

How many songs do you have in your music library?

1. 0 - 1,000 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 1,000 - 5,000 (0 votes [0.00%])

3. 5,000 - 10,000 (1 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

4. 10,000 - 20,000 (0 votes [0.00%])

5. 20,000 - 40,000 (0 votes [0.00%])

6. 40,000 - 50,000 (1 votes [25.00%])

7. 50,000 - 70,000 (1 votes [25.00%])

8. 70,000 - 100,000 (0 votes [0.00%])

9. 100,000+ (1 votes [25.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 swoonlp

swoonlp

Underneath the surface

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3559 posts
  • Joined 12-October 13

Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:15 PM

I listen to so much music in the long term musicians will probably get more money from me from streams that if I bought all their albums.

I'm inclined to think that's the most ludicrous reason to justify being on Spotify.

They do get most through gigs, and merch.
But holy shit, you're deluded I'd you think you're making people earn actual money through streaming their stuff on Spotify.

Buying their releases on bandcamp equals an ungodly amount of plays. It's not even funny.

#22 radiognome

radiognome

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Joined 09-April 14

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:32 PM

Spotify is awful for paying artists. My band put up a few tracks with maybe a combined 20k streams. I now have a $0.26 cheque on the wall haha. It usually works out to around .006 cents a stream.

#23 Andrewf

Andrewf

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4039 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:23 PM

kevin parker of tame impala on streams, piracy, buying stuff, etc:

"i feel like music will be free sooner or later, and i think I'm all for it. There's all this talk of music needing a monetary value, this ownership of music, even that it needs a physical form. But intrinsically... it's MUSIC, it should be better than that. Some of my most important musical experiences were from a burnt CD with songs my friend downloaded for me at a terrible digital quality... I didn't care... it changed my life all the same. For me the value of music is the value you extract from it. You want to know a story? Up until recently, from all of tame impala's record sales outside of australia I had received.... zero dollars. Someone high up spent the money before it got to me. I may never get that money. Then Blackberry and some tequila brand or something put my song in an ad. Then I bought a house and set up a studio. I know what you're thinking... "wait so...when I bought an album I was helping some businessman pay for his mansion on an island somewhere, and when some dude bought a mobile phone he was helping to pay an artist? WHHHYY?" I'll tell you why, IT'S MONEY. It doesn't always go where you want it to go. It's like a shopping trolley with a bung wheel. As far as I'm concerned the best thing you can do for an artist is LISTEN to the music...fall in love with it.......talk about it.........get it however you can get it....Let the corporations pay for. This is just my brain rambling remember, I'm sure there are holes in my theories... for example I realise not everyone's music is suited to a mobile phone ad, and it would be lame if artists tailored their music for that purpose."

spotify is legal. period. it's musicians and labels jobs to make spotify and other services to pay them adequate sums. i pay 2$ per month for my preferred streaming service. i would love to pay more if they'd pay artists more. So, in the words of Kevin, if you buy physical album, that doesn't actually mean you gave money to the artist

#24 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13599 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:55 AM

They do get most through gigs, and merch.
definitely, in fact I'd prefer a button I could click and just sent money to a band account or something like that, which is more or less what bandcamp does save for the percentage they take. But even bands that aren't signed to big labels often don't have bandcamp accounts.

#25 radiognome

radiognome

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Joined 09-April 14

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:35 AM

Bandcamp is an excellent platform!

Spotify is objectively a piece of shit entity to the artists, as are most streaming services. It's not that the subscription price is too low, it's that the overwhelming majority of revenue goes straight to spotify instead of the artist (and I'm not talking 90%, it's way higher than that). You would need to get 200000 streams in a month just to make minimum wage.

It's a broken industry.

#26 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 13599 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 07 December 2018 - 05:03 AM

Doesn't seem like it's working for them even

"Better deals with music labels may have helped Spotify, but the company is still losing money, according to The Information. Spotify declined to comment."

https://www.cnbc.com...ins-growth.html

Still, some bands have apparently come to terms with the fact that they need to tour to survive and see streaming platforms as a way to get their music too people. When Bandcamp started growing I had hopes more bands would move into that platform exponentially but it seems it's taking really long for the situation to change. Some relatively young bands have started their own labels but then they sell their music through traditional platforms.

It reminds me of independent gaming studios vs having a contract with a publisher, the later pretty much forces you to reach impossible sales numbers because of the huge ammount of money publishers spend on marketing, while other studios working independently have been able to break even with just a fraction of the sales numbers because they're running everything themselves with a more realistic approach in terms of scope and reach,

#27 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 5169 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14
  • Interests:Friend of cats and foxes.

Posted 07 December 2018 - 09:19 AM

I mean I wrote this six years ago but ok.

Selling records is like selling bottled water. Shit is free everywhere but you've got to convince people they're getting a higher quality product, something tangible, or something classier that speaks to a sign value over a use value.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users