IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Earth

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#1 Brad Pitt

Brad Pitt

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3239 posts
  • Joined 25-March 06

Posted 10 July 2007 - 04:41 AM

Earth has been around for a long time. Have a great discography. Everybody has at least heard of them. or not. Who else here likes them?

I havent listened to all of their discography but HEX is really incredible. Espcially "In Inquest Concerning Teeth."

Their most recent is Hibernaculum (2007) which is old Earth songs re-recorded in the style of HEX. So I'm looking forward to hear that.

#2 fakename

fakename

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts
  • Joined 03-June 04

Posted 10 July 2007 - 05:48 AM

i listened to hibernaculum expecting something similar to sunn, and was extremely disappointed. maybe i would have liked it more if i had gone into it with a different mindset.

#3 shadowtowel

shadowtowel

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 239 posts
  • Joined 13-June 07

Posted 10 July 2007 - 05:51 AM

Earth has been around for a long time. Have a great discography. Everybody has at least heard of them. or not. Who else here likes them?

I havent listened to all of their discography but HEX is really incredible. Espcially "In Inquest Concerning Teeth."

Their most recent is Hibernaculum (2007) which is old Earth songs re-recorded in the style of HEX. So I'm looking forward to hear that.

Never heard their music. What stlye is it? What band does it compare to?

#4 Brad Pitt

Brad Pitt

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3239 posts
  • Joined 25-March 06

Posted 10 July 2007 - 06:41 AM

Never heard their music. What stlye is it? What band does it compare to?

Their music drone and experimental. I'd say it would compare well to Sunn0))) some, but not so much in the no-coherent-song/melody thing they have going on. Now that I think about it, Boris is a really good comparison. They just seem to be a little more structured. They can also be pretty minimalistic like on Hex, which is hardly metal, but very heavy. There's a distinct western german, post-country feeling to it. It's the soundtrack to a long journey through the western canyons.

Someone on Amazon described it as, "If Jonah Hex were to bash John Wayne's head open with a rock after shooting him in the neck and then slowly drag the body across the desert this would be the soundtrack heard within the harsh sandstorms and echoing across jagged red rocky valleys."

Their other album "Pentastar: In The Style of Demons" is metal/stoner rock, slow and dark. It's got simple beats with sweet guitar riffs. A really great listen with some good vibes. Got some blues, punk, metal thing going on.

#5 whorepresents?

whorepresents?

Custom Rank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20199 posts
  • Joined 08-May 05

Posted 10 July 2007 - 07:55 AM

I've not heard hex, but their early stuff is like early sunn

which makes sense as sunn started off as an earth tribute band

#6 Rob_Floyd

Rob_Floyd

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1178 posts
  • Joined 03-April 05

Posted 10 July 2007 - 08:06 AM

HEX is fucking amazing. Everyone needs to hear it.

By the way, Earth>>>Sunn

#7 Sonic Tooth

Sonic Tooth

Lenin lol

• Members
  • 10906 posts
  • Joined 28-March 06

Posted 10 July 2007 - 08:58 AM

Earth 2 is awesome, and hex is as well. one of my favorites.

#8 pixiesfanyo

pixiesfanyo

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3979 posts
  • Joined 03-April 04
  • Interests:Bass Guitar, Music, Film Making, Poetry and Song Writing

Posted 10 July 2007 - 11:10 AM

They are way better than Sunn0))).

#9 Guest_tohereknowswhen._*

Guest_tohereknowswhen._*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 10 July 2007 - 11:42 AM

Hex is a great album. I haven't played it in time, I think I will.

#10 whorepresents?

whorepresents?

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 20199 posts
  • Joined 08-May 05

Posted 10 July 2007 - 12:46 PM

I think the bands "Earth", "Earth & Wind" and "Earth, Wind & Fire" should do a collaboration and call it Earth and Earth and Wind and Earth, Wind and Fire

#11 kinski

kinski

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • Joined 07-September 03

Posted 10 July 2007 - 01:26 PM

i like earth 2 and hex.

anyway, the first time i listened to hex i thought: neil young- dead man soundtrack.

#12 Siddhis

Siddhis

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1993 posts
  • Joined 13-December 03
  • Interests:girls that are minors, little azn boys that look like girls that are minors

Posted 10 July 2007 - 11:38 PM

so i was aware than sunn O)))'s greatest influence was Earth so i decided to check them out. I discovered that their newest album, "Hibernaculum" was released on 180g, clear vinyl, limited to 1000 copies. i bought that shit in a heartbeat, regardless to the fact i had NO idea what earth sounded like. Clear is my favorite color vinyl, the only thing that is better than 180g is 200g (well, any weight more than 180, but i've only ever seen one album pressed on 200g and that was it)

i was not disappointed at all with Hibernaculum at all. mellow, but nice. pretty cinematic too. i'll be checking earth out to greater depth later.

#13 Siddhis

Siddhis

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1993 posts
  • Joined 13-December 03
  • Interests:girls that are minors, little azn boys that look like girls that are minors

Posted 10 July 2007 - 11:38 PM

so i was aware than sunn O)))'s greatest influence was Earth so i decided to check them out. I discovered that their newest album, "Hibernaculum" was released on 180g, clear vinyl, limited to 1000 copies. i bought that shit in a heartbeat, regardless to the fact i had NO idea what earth sounded like. Clear is my favorite color vinyl, the only thing that is better than 180g is 200g (well, any weight more than 180, but i've only ever seen one album pressed on 200g and that was it)

i was not disappointed at all with Hibernaculum at all. mellow, but nice. pretty cinematic too. i'll be checking earth out to greater depth later.

#14 firstrays123

firstrays123

We Do By Declare Ourselves To Be Another Art Of Being

• Members
  • 10329 posts
  • Joined 23-May 04
  • Interests:Music, School, Meditation, Friends & Family, Spirituality, Good Food, Traveling and Sun Ra

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:56 AM

i recntly saw these guys open up for sunn o))), really good fucking show, I need to get some albums now.

#15 post_scriptum

post_scriptum

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2216 posts
  • Joined 20-June 04

Posted 11 July 2007 - 01:11 AM

New album will be freakin killer, check it out when it's released.

#16 firstrays123

firstrays123

• Members
  • 10329 posts
  • Joined 23-May 04
  • Interests:Music, School, Meditation, Friends & Family, Spirituality, Good Food, Traveling and Sun Ra

Posted 11 July 2007 - 04:58 AM

New album will be freakin killer, check it out when it's released.

they played all new material and it was fantastic, the keyboard parts were amazing.

#17 Guest_Mailman_*

Guest_Mailman_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 11 July 2007 - 06:51 PM

sunnO))) just follow in the footsteps of Earth, lol.

hey.. Earth are playing ATP this December.

#18 firstrays123

firstrays123

• Members
  • 10329 posts
  • Joined 23-May 04

Posted 11 July 2007 - 06:53 PM

not really though, earth wasn't shaking my body constantly for an hour and a half. Earth was a lot more subtle and had more harmony. Apart from Wolf Eyes, I've never been assaulted sonically like that before.

#19 Guest_Mailman_*

Guest_Mailman_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 11 July 2007 - 06:59 PM

not really though, earth wasn't shaking my body constantly for an hour and a half. Earth was a lot more subtle and had more harmony. Apart from Wolf Eyes, I've never been assaulted sonically like that before.

yeah they are different
but sunnO))) said it themselves that their name is a tribute to Earth the band

i was raped by the vibrations of sunnO)))'s amplifiers.... IT WAS CRAZY

#20 firstrays123

firstrays123

• Members
  • 10329 posts
  • Joined 23-May 04

Posted 11 July 2007 - 07:13 PM

rape is a good word, the music was definitely inside of me....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users