IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Earth

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#41 whorepresents?

whorepresents?

Custom Rank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20199 posts
  • Joined 08-May 05

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:22 AM

So what can be expected of these guys live? Stoner, ambient, drone, keyboards, everything? Like, what is it like for the most part these days. I'm thinking about seeing them in February.

ill tell you next tuesday

#42 nardo

nardo

Lord of the Links

• Dictator
  • 6219 posts
  • Joined 21-July 03

Posted 02 December 2007 - 11:45 AM

Droney as fuck... I don't know if you have seen Sunn O))) (general drone band to compare to) but Earth is a little more mellow, and "structured" I guess you could say. Really enjoyable none the less. Its pretty typical of a drone show. Get ready to listen to some sickening drone, and just zone out. Don't throw up, its that good!

Sounds damn good to me. I haven't seen Sunn 0))) live yet, only KTL. Thanks for the info, sounds pretty good to me.

ill tell you next tuesday

Please do. Thanks in advance!

#43 post_scriptum

post_scriptum

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2216 posts
  • Joined 20-June 04

Posted 02 December 2007 - 03:09 PM

Droney as fuck... I don't know if you have seen Sunn O))) (general drone band to compare to) but Earth is a little more mellow, and "structured" I guess you could say. Really enjoyable none the less. Its pretty typical of a drone show. Get ready to listen to some sickening drone, and just zone out. Don't throw up, its that good!

Do you think it's because of the drumming?

#44 Ratking

Ratking

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1164 posts
  • Joined 20-November 07
  • Myspace

Posted 03 December 2007 - 01:40 AM

Do you think it's because of the drumming?

Not so much... Like I mean, Sunn O))) is very structured also, I guess what I was looking for, is I have an easier time following Earth, where Sunn O))) is something I ultimately enjoy more in my typical mood(I like things a little more chaotic and or "atmospheric" however you want to interpret that) Earth being a little mellower just makes it easier to follow. It's not that I want to say Sunn is "harsher" then Earth, but it kind of is I guess is what I was getting at.

#45 post_scriptum

post_scriptum

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2216 posts
  • Joined 20-June 04

Posted 03 December 2007 - 01:26 PM

Yeah ok I get it.

#46 Volume_3

Volume_3

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1817 posts
  • Joined 25-October 05

Posted 06 December 2007 - 09:53 PM

Anyone with soulseek have their music?
If so... whats your username?

#47 Ratking

Ratking

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1164 posts
  • Joined 20-November 07
  • Myspace

Posted 06 December 2007 - 10:04 PM

I do, if no one else is able to help you, I will be on later. I am at work right now but can log in when I get home for you. my username is ratking1234

#48 whorepresents?

whorepresents?

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 20199 posts
  • Joined 08-May 05

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:38 AM

new album has leaked

listening now

its pretty good, albeit a little repetitive, and pretty similar to their last few releases.
its not some nice piano and organ parts

saw them live on monday, they only had time to play 2 songs, and i missed the first but everybody called for more so they played one more.
I enjoyed it, I have the same gripes as with their music, it can get a little repetitive and most of the songs sound similar, however it was nice, they hold a good, bassey drone, while at the same time being melodic, and tonal and stuff.

cool keyboardest
and the drummer is pretty fun to watch because she plays like shes been submerged in treacle

#49 Ratking

Ratking

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1164 posts
  • Joined 20-November 07
  • Myspace

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:40 AM

its pretty good, albeit a little repetitive, and pretty similar to their last few releases.

It is drone after all. I am going to have to go snag it. I have been waiting for a new Earth release for awhile.

#50 whorepresents?

whorepresents?

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 20199 posts
  • Joined 08-May 05

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:44 AM

It is drone after all. I am going to have to go snag it. I have been waiting for a new Earth release for awhile.

well thats the thing, its not even really drone anymore
its more blues influenced post-rock

i like it, its calm and nice to have on in the background

also i have a link, you want me to pm it to you?

#51 Guest_shotgunjoe_*

Guest_shotgunjoe_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 13 December 2007 - 01:13 PM

Yeah, I've always found Earth to kinda drag on a bit, there really aren't any changes in dynamics in any of the Earth stuff I've heard or this new album.

I did like it though.

#52 Ratking

Ratking

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1164 posts
  • Joined 20-November 07
  • Myspace

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:13 PM

well thats the thing, its not even really drone anymore
its more blues influenced post-rock

i like it, its calm and nice to have on in the background

also i have a link, you want me to pm it to you?

Yes I would very much like a link pmed

Yeah, I've always found Earth to kinda drag on a bit, there really aren't any changes in dynamics in any of the Earth stuff I've heard or this new album.

I did like it though.

Yeah I would have to agree with that. Which is odd because that is a characteristic of some things I do not really enjoy. But Earth happens to be one of my favorite bands. I should probably figure out why that exactly is hah.

#53 Guest_shotgunjoe_*

Guest_shotgunjoe_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 14 December 2007 - 12:04 AM

I did like it though.

Yeah I would have to agree with that. Which is odd because that is a characteristic of some things I do not really enjoy. But Earth happens to be one of my favorite bands. I should probably figure out why that exactly is hah.

Yes its very odd. "Dragging on" is kinda one of the characteristics associated with drone music, but it is actually one of my favourite types of music.

#54 Ratking

Ratking

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1164 posts
  • Joined 20-November 07
  • Myspace

Posted 14 December 2007 - 12:45 AM

I did like it though.

Yes its very odd. "Dragging on" is kinda one of the characteristics associated with drone music, but it is actually one of my favourite types of music.

Yeah same here. I loooove drone. I don't even know what characteristics make me enjoy it so much. Maybe the ambient factor. Or just how noisy it is, without being pure noise. Like the atmospheric elements etc... I dunno, I generally like alienating music, and drone is like the epitome of alienating. I don't enjoy it because it is alienating, but it just happens to be a characteristic of most shit I like... Look at God Speed.. Thats alienating as fuck, and in my top 5 favorite bands for sure.

#55 ignignokt00

ignignokt00

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts
  • Joined 03-December 06

Posted 14 December 2007 - 01:54 AM

I love Earth. Excited to listen to this.

#56 Guest_shotgunjoe_*

Guest_shotgunjoe_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:07 PM

Oh my, it took me a couple of listens but I now absolutely adore this record. Its so brilliant.

#57 Guest_Mailman_*

Guest_Mailman_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 20 December 2007 - 12:14 AM

Hibernaculum is cool
i'm about to hear the new one

#58 Rob_Floyd

Rob_Floyd

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1178 posts
  • Joined 03-April 05

Posted 20 December 2007 - 12:19 AM

The new album is pretty cool.

I don't think they will ever top Hex.

#59 Vairiant

Vairiant

I like my pockets fat not flat

• Members
  • 6733 posts
  • Joined 20-September 04
  • Interests:fuck you hotsalsa

Posted 20 December 2007 - 01:11 AM

I never really listened to Earth aside from the new album, but it bored the living shit out of me.

#60 Guest_shotgunjoe_*

Guest_shotgunjoe_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:29 AM

It does bore some.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users