IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Taylor Swift

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14250 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 10 December 2020 - 03:40 PM

Long story short my girlfriend is a big fan and besides her earlier material I have to say I enjoyed the last two and I like her work ethic, she put out 3 albums in roughly a year (one's coming out tonight) and she's been re-recording earlier material, of course I imagine she can do this because her fanbase is huge but I'd love if more bands were more spontaneous with their releases

During promotion of Lover in 2019, Swift became embroiled in a publicized dispute with talent manager Scooter Braun and her former label Big Machine, regarding the acquisition of the masters of her back catalog.[216] Swift disdained the transaction, stating she had been trying to buy the masters for years, and described Braun as an "incessant, manipulative bully".[216] She claimed that Braun offered her a chance at bidding on her masters on the condition of signing a non-disclosure agreement regarding her public statements on Braun, which she refused.[217] According to Swift, Braun and Big Machine founder Scott Borchetta blocked her from performing her older songs at the 2019 American Music Awards and from using older material for the documentary Miss Americana, which were later resolved.[218][219] In April 2020, Big Machine released Live from Clear Channel Stripped 2008, a live album of Swift's performances at a 2008 radio show, which Swift did not authorize.[220] In October, Braun sold Swift's masters, videos and artworks, to Shamrock Holdings for $300 million.[221] Swift began re-recording her back catalog in November 2020,[222] and declined an offer by Shamrock to become an equity partner, on the grounds that Braun would continue to profit from her work.[223]

Swift's eighth studio album, Folklore, was a surprise album released on July 24, 2020.[224] Written and recorded while Swift was in isolation during the COVID-19 pandemic, the album includes collaborations with Bon Iver, Aaron Dessner, and Jack Antonoff.[225] The album's indie folk production and Swift's vivid lyrics received critical acclaim.[226] Folklore sold two million units worldwide within its first week[227] and broke the record for first-day album streams by a female artist on Spotify.[228] The lead single "Cardigan" debuted atop the Billboard Hot 100, making Swift the first artist to debut atop both the Billboard 200 and Hot 100 in the same week.[229] 

Swift's ninth studio album, Evermore, will be released on December 11, 2020. Described as a "sister record" to Folklore, the album again includes collaborations with Bon Iver, Aaron Dessner, and Jack Antonoff, as well as with American rock band Haim.[234]

#2 Fonz

Fonz

Truth soldier

• Members
  • 8493 posts
  • Joined 13-October 06
  • Interests:Writing, Music, Film.
  • Facebook

Posted 10 December 2020 - 09:19 PM

I don’t really care for her but I have nothing against her. I’m also ignorant of any of her larger body of work. Am I getting this straight that she’s re-recording her older material as a loophole to continue performing it or owning rights to it since she doesn’t own her original masters? That’s a very fascinating story!

#3 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 14250 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 12 December 2020 - 03:29 PM

That's my take on it as well, it's a pretty weird story. Imagine if Omar had to re-record old Volta stuff, he's done it with solo stuff having different versions, it reminds me of that time they played slightly "weigthier" Nocto songs as ORLG.

#4 Fonz

Fonz

Truth soldier

• Members
  • 8493 posts
  • Joined 13-October 06
  • Interests:Writing, Music, Film.
  • Facebook

Posted 13 December 2020 - 03:24 PM

I was unaware of those recordings! Cool!

#5 brucef

brucef

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 170 posts
  • Joined 26-February 16

Posted 28 December 2020 - 02:53 AM

Es lamentable pero asi es el negocio de las disqueras, ojala le vaya bien. No la sigo como fanatico pero se que siempre ha tratado de ligarse mucho al folk y eso es bueno.

#6 Alderetism

Alderetism

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 7872 posts
  • Joined 04-September 09
  • Interests:Peace, love and bass.

Posted 02 January 2021 - 04:30 PM

What?

#7 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 6194 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Interests:Ask me about prison.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 02 January 2021 - 06:05 PM

honestly for middle of the road, inoffensive, white bread pop music Taylor Swift isn't that bad.  My lady really loves her so I've heard the whole discography a few times.  Lover and the new one (evermore?  paramore?) are actually decent albums.  Folklore was a let down.  Figured I'd get a National album with Taylor Swift and it was just kind of bland folk-pop.  I'll give her credit that she does a lot of her own songwriting unlike a lot of other pop acts.

All that being said there is nothing she does that isn't done better by someone else.  There really is no reason to listen to her music.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users