IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Spartaoppinions and such...

• Please log in to reply
1147 replies to this topic

Poll: Sparta: Porcelain or Wiretap Scars or Austere[EP] (72 member(s) have cast votes)

Sparta: Porcelain or Wiretap Scars or Austere[EP]

1. Austere [EP] (7 votes [7.87%])

Percentage of vote: 7.87%

2. Wiretap Scars (52 votes [58.43%])

Percentage of vote: 58.43%

3. Porcelain (30 votes [33.71%])

Percentage of vote: 33.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Theory

Theory

The Butcher

• Founding Father
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13781 posts
  • Joined 29-June 03

Posted 02 July 2003 - 05:00 PM

I really havent listened to many of their songs, but from what I have heard, I dont think theyre that great. Like its catchy and all, but after i hear it like twice, I just never want to hear it again. But in comparison to ATDI or the mars volta, there are only a couple bands that  dont suck. :turtle:

holy sweet avatar

Posted Image

#42 sail

sail

you are all whores

• Members
  • 6367 posts
  • Joined 30-June 03

Posted 02 July 2003 - 05:01 PM

i feel sorry for sparta now, im sure they know they're not as brilliant as tmv
but then again most bands are shit compared to tmv :drum:

#43 MurderDolls666

MurderDolls666

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts
  • Joined 02-July 03

Posted 02 July 2003 - 05:22 PM

I really havent listened to many of their songs, but from what I have heard, I dont think theyre that great. Like its catchy and all, but after i hear it like twice, I just never want to hear it again. But in comparison to ATDI or the mars volta, there are only a couple bands that  dont suck. :turtle:

holy sweet avatar

Posted Image

yep, greatest avatar ever....

#44 Theory

Theory

The Butcher

• Founding Father
  • 13781 posts
  • Joined 29-June 03

Posted 02 July 2003 - 05:22 PM

holy sweet avatar

Posted Image

yep, greatest avatar ever....

best game ever as well :turtle:

#45 MurderDolls666

MurderDolls666

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts
  • Joined 02-July 03

Posted 02 July 2003 - 05:26 PM

true dat, after 7 it was all down hill though.... until they made megaman soccer ;) :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle:

#46 Theory

Theory

The Butcher

• Founding Father
  • 13781 posts
  • Joined 29-June 03

Posted 02 July 2003 - 05:27 PM

true dat, after 7 it was all down hill though.... until they made megaman soccer ;) :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle:

maybe this board could use a couple of megaman emoticons?

#47 MurderDolls666

MurderDolls666

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts
  • Joined 02-July 03

Posted 02 July 2003 - 05:44 PM

true dat, after 7 it was all down hill though.... until they made megaman soccer  ;)  :turtle:  :turtle:  :turtle:  :turtle:  :turtle:  :turtle:  :turtle:  :turtle:  :turtle:  :turtle:

thatd be pimp. i got another megaman avatar, but my brother (zombiejesus) thought that magnet man was a nazi... that bastard.

Attached Files

#48 Limits are Lies

Limits are Lies

buzz saw sex organism

• Members
  • 32098 posts
  • Joined 29-June 03

Posted 02 July 2003 - 05:46 PM

true dat, after 7 it was all down hill though.... until they made megaman soccer  ;)  :turtle:  :turtle:  :turtle:  :turtle:  :turtle:  :turtle:  :turtle:  :turtle:  :turtle:  :turtle:

thatd be pimp. i got another megaman avatar, but my brother (zombiejesus) thought that magnet man was a nazi... that bastard.

magnet man is a bitch.

#49 breadcrumbsyeah

breadcrumbsyeah

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Joined 30-June 03
  • Interests:Music, drumming, getting rejected, trying harder, getting rejected again, reading, drinking tea.

Posted 02 July 2003 - 06:37 PM

ok, back to the topic.

i saw them at glastonbury last week, with only limited knowledge of their music (i've heard the early demos and one track off austere).

it had moments, but wasn't really strong. tony's drumming was ridiculously powerful and entertaining to watch, he must have got through about 20 pairs of drumsticks!

but other than that, and a brief but glorious instrumental interlude, the songs didn't really stand up.

it was also a very awkward performance due to some idiots in the crowd hurling abuse (one armed scissor etc.). jim didn't really react, but i could tell he was pissed off about it. he even tried to retort in a subtle way, but it completely backfired, and i felt kind of sorry for him.

#50 conviresco

conviresco

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 02-July 03

Posted 02 July 2003 - 06:38 PM

Sparta arn't anything special but i really enjoy their music, its not challenging to listen to which sometimes everybody needs. I still like Jim Ward and everybody from ADTI, i mean why does the band breaking up mean everyone doesn't like one half? (not everyone but....) I never knew them personally so i can't really dislike em...anyway im blabbering. Sparta is good. TMV is better.

#51 che

che

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Joined 01-July 03
  • Interests:guitar, bass, the mars volta, atdi, sparta, led zep, bob marley, radiohead, fugazi, gorillaz, rage agaisnt the machine, the strokes, rooney, and all the shiznit

Posted 02 July 2003 - 06:47 PM

i like sparta but theres not that spark that sets them apart from all music u kno, i love assemble the empire. but still they are pretty awesome

#52 Lost In The Air

Lost In The Air

Lost in the Nair

• Members
  • 5873 posts
  • Joined 30-June 03
  • Interests:Artsy fartsy stuff, cryptozoology, montauk project, the silent hill series, experimental science, jamming in free jazz pick up bands, wearing funny hats, moogs, trying to con the manager at pizza hut into giving me their Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in Time arcade machine, surrealism, the avant garde in general, painting, turning that one cheapo delay pedal I have to max repeats then strike a single chord and watch the walls melt, trying to find out where the hole under my house goes, getting really drunk and arm wrestling at the shifty bar outside of work, most likely embarrasing myself in the process, crossbreeding vegetables, keeping the phone off the hook, collecting toasters and microwaves, talking to my burt reynolds like neighbor, hiding behind the waterfall in the summer only to jump out scaring the kids as they try to trespass on old man belinski's land so they can swim in that sweet sweet spot, talking about finishing my mural on the local High School's chemistry lab, never actually working on it though, jumping to conclusions, winning under suspicious circumstances, faking my death, listening to Bill Cosby records

Posted 02 July 2003 - 06:48 PM

Mega Man 4 is the greatest game ever. *hums Skull Man's stages music

#53 BenjaminT

BenjaminT

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Joined 01-July 03
  • Location:iowa where the corn is knee high by the fourth of july

Posted 02 July 2003 - 10:04 PM

Megaman brings back some meomories B)

#54 subdominant

subdominant

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Joined 30-June 03

Posted 02 July 2003 - 11:05 PM

The little guy to my left is a megaman dealy. ;)

Anyway, I like Sparta... they're no Mars Volta, they're no At the Drive-In, but they're ok.

When you break up ATDI, Sparta is as good as I could've hoped from the members they got... The Mars Volta... well, they exceeded expectation.

#55 subdominant

subdominant

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Joined 30-June 03

Posted 02 July 2003 - 11:08 PM

Mega Man 4 is the greatest game ever. *hums Skull Man's stages music

I most definately disagree with you!!

Megaman 1-3 were great. 4 I really disliked, and didn't bother with the series until much later when I gave the SNES versions a shot.

To each his own.

#56 volta mark

volta mark

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2260 posts
  • Joined 30-June 03
  • Interests:music. writing. films. <br><br>i also play a little hockey...

Posted 03 July 2003 - 12:02 AM

sparta's good

and thats that

#57 emofag

emofag

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1252 posts
  • Joined 29-June 03

Posted 03 July 2003 - 12:44 AM

I think Sparta is good music but not as good as TMV.... but even so no band is as good as TMV so I just hope that Sparta will keep on making good decent music in the future ....

#58 Thumb

Thumb

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 184 posts
  • Joined 30-June 03

Posted 03 July 2003 - 12:55 AM

Guys, the topic is asking how you feel about Sparta, not how you feel about Sparta in relation to TMV. Having never heard any Sparta I can't really say anything about them, but stop the comparisons to TMV, because TMV is, IMO, a genre all it's own. You can't compare ATD-I to TMV, hell, you can't compare Celine Dion to TMV. It's apples and oranges.

#59 PunkerSomething

PunkerSomething

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • Joined 29-June 03
  • Interests:At The Drive-In, Avantasia, Blind Guardian, David Bowie, HIM, Iced Earth, Kamelot, Lost Horizon, Nine Inch Nails, Rhapsody, Sonata Arctica, Sopor Aeternus, The 69 Eyes, The Mars Volta, The Rolling Stones,

Posted 03 July 2003 - 01:25 AM

just cause it looks different from the photo you put under your information thingy section

Well it is like 6 in the morn in that pic, and I didnt get any sleep for a few days. I look funny in that one. Plus I am not make up all pretty like in my avatar!

#60 Kay

Kay

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1563 posts
  • Joined 30-June 03
  • Interests::::Favorite:::<br />:::Music::: The Mars Volta, At The Drive-In, Deftones, Sleater-Kinney, Tori Amos, PJ Harvey, Fiona Apple, The (International) Noise Conspiracy, Queens Of The Stone Age, Meat Beat Manifesto, Portishead, Zero 7, Goldfrapp, Sparta, Hooverphonic, Hot Hot Heat, Veruca Salt, Elastica, Drain STH, Esthero, Sneaker Pimps, Sparklehorse, 311, The Unicorns, Pepper Sands, Cursive, Fractal Pattern, Faunts, Coheed &amp; Cambria<br />:::Author:::Hubert Selby Jr<br />:::Filmmakers::: Christopher Nolan, Darren Aronofsky, Terry Gilliam, PT Anderson<br />:::Films::: Memento, Requiem For A Dream, 12 Monkeys, American Beauty, The Crow, Magnolia, Pi, The Man With The Two Brains, Following, Contact, Awakenings, To Wong Foo Thanks For Everything Julie Newmar, Trainspotting, Waynes World, Happy Gilmore, Traffic, Stand By Me, IT, The Shining, The Goonies, Go, X-Men 2, Ferris Bueler's Day Off, The Breakfast Club, Run Lola Run, The Neverending Story, Bowling For Columbine, Seven, Fight Club, Cube &amp; more.

Posted 03 July 2003 - 01:53 AM

i really like sparta!

but i was blown away by the mars volta.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users