IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

The Mars Volta will play again2015

• Please log in to reply
10618 replies to this topic

#10601 bronxblanco1

bronxblanco1

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Joined 06-May 12

Posted 13 August 2022 - 04:48 AM

Does anyone know if they ever played nocto (the track)? I don't remember ever hearing it on any of the boots out there. That one for me was the underrated deep cut.

They played it at some of the 2012 European shows. . https://www.themarbl.../show/20120624/
Thanks! I will have see if I can find this show on YouTube or something

The bootleg is right there in the audio tab, though you'll have to grab the whole show.

Thanks for clarifying! This will hold me over til 9/16!

#10602 nembutals

nembutals

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1014 posts
  • Joined 16-July 10

Posted 13 August 2022 - 07:49 AM

Can’t say enough about how hard the Noct songs ripped live on those first shows. Listen to The Whip Hand on the album and then listen to this, the live version just destroyed. Totally different energy, they neutered the album cut in such a bad way.

Also Vedamalady and Imago would both be fun to hear live, wouldn’t be out of place at all with their current sound and should be pretty easy for them to faithfully perform, moreso than a lot of their other songs.

#10603 kev821

kev821

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • Joined 25-October 04

Posted 13 August 2022 - 09:31 AM

at 0:22

Omar's body language says it all here.
Damn, I just watched these again a month or so back & didn't pick up on that. Omar does seem a little put off, irritated, etc. by Cedric answer.

Was a weird time Cedric chased the girl, fell into it and used it as a rehab but in they got out and he’s got his boys now, I had a friend too who’s family dropped I’m off at a Scientology place thinking it was a rehab and lived there for a few month, pretty till he went crazy.
He didn’t get the rockstar treatment though he got out by being suicidal and repeatedly bashing his head against the wall

#10604 Germn F.

Germn F.

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2818 posts
  • Joined 24-October 06

Posted 13 August 2022 - 04:28 PM

"I don’t know a greater happiness than losing ‘fans'" – dude, go swimming in the sea. stroke a cat. ride a bike.

Yeah, that statement is ridiculous. Almost everything in life gives more happiness than losing fans. Don’t understand why he would say that but I’m sure it was on purpose. I guess he assumes most fans of the band won’t like this album.

#10605 Germn F.

Germn F.

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2818 posts
  • Joined 24-October 06

Posted 13 August 2022 - 04:32 PM

So the band didn't fall apart because "the bass player was a sociopath", after all.

Took them a decade to figure that out

#10606 shiggityshwo

shiggityshwo

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Joined 20-August 08

Posted 13 August 2022 - 04:45 PM

"I don’t know a greater happiness than losing ‘fans'" – dude, go swimming in the sea. stroke a cat. ride a bike.

Yeah, that statement is ridiculous. Almost everything in life gives more happiness than losing fans. Don’t understand why he would say that but I’m sure it was on purpose. I guess he assumes most fans of the band won’t like this album.

reeks of "I don't care but I really care a lot and it's inevitable with my desire to explore new musical ideas so I'll just continue pretending to not care" 

#10607 G.O.Dayz

G.O.Dayz

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Joined 24-September 20

Posted 13 August 2022 - 05:05 PM

I don't see the big deal with those comments. I take it as him saying I'd rather someone who sees me as their trained monkey to play the same stuff over and over to just go listen to someone else's music. I was at the NYC gig where At the Drive-In cancelled last minute and I could hear the heartbreak in his voice as he was getting heckled for trying to apologize and explain the severity of Cedric's situation. Artists are humans too; I would wanna shed off the toxic people from my fan base too.

#10608 G.O.Dayz

G.O.Dayz

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Joined 24-September 20

Posted 13 August 2022 - 05:08 PM

Remember that the writeup for this had 'fans' in quotes - to me that says something in his voice implied he was talking about "so called fans" - or if the interview was in person (can't remember if it says) he might've done actual air quotes.

#10609 shiggityshwo

shiggityshwo

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Joined 20-August 08

Posted 13 August 2022 - 05:12 PM

didn't notice fans being in quotes tbh, does put it in a different light 

#10610 G.O.Dayz

G.O.Dayz

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Joined 24-September 20

Posted 13 August 2022 - 05:20 PM

I just reread it - it was a phone interview but yes 'fans' is in quotes. I agree comparing fans who want this to be Deloused 2 to school gov't and police is a bit cringe but I get the sentiment of him saying I don't wanna be told what to do with my own damn band. lol

#10611 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7234 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14
  • Interests:Friend of cats and foxes.

Posted 13 August 2022 - 06:49 PM

So the band didn't fall apart because "the bass player was a sociopath", after all.

Would have loved a follow up question on that. Or any discussion in the interview about their collaborators and former, indeed current bandmates.

#10612 Andrewf

Andrewf

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 5683 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 13 August 2022 - 07:33 PM

they said ONE of the reasons. So that means sociopath can also be a reason

#10613 absalomman

absalomman

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • Joined 22-May 17

Posted Yesterday, 06:39 PM

reeks of "I don't care but I really care a lot and it's inevitable with my desire to explore new musical ideas so I'll just continue pretending to not care" 

y'all are definitely on the hard consumer side of the art spectrum. it's definitely not that outlandish for someone who lives off of creating things to be happy with the fact that hyper-critical loud mouths wont be interacting with your creations anymore. his statement was obviously hyperbole and if you can't process that you got bigger problems than the new album sucking.

#10614 silver sailer

silver sailer

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 130 posts
  • Joined 27-January 08

Posted Yesterday, 08:32 PM

What’s the story here? I must have missed it…

#10615 Germn F.

Germn F.

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2818 posts
  • Joined 24-October 06

Posted Today, 12:10 AM

What’s the story here? I must have missed it…
Omar said in a podcast interview like five years ago that Juan was a sociopath who was trying to create drama between omar and cedric and break them apart

#10616 nembutals

nembutals

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1014 posts
  • Joined 16-July 10

Posted Today, 03:47 AM

They fire Jon, who goes on to arguably far greater commercial heights with QOTSA. They boot Ikey from the band, then he dies a few years later. Omar calls Juan a sociopath, then he falls into a coma and comes out with a brain injury, and then Omar still has the audacity to change his album credits to “John Peter” on all the reissues lmao. Now THAT’S pretty sociopathic imo. Even if it’s Juan’s birth name or something, dude was the one who hung the Mexican flag proudly on his bass cabinet at all their shows and repped the culture loud. Omar knows what name he lives his life and professional career by and you won’t ever convince me that wasn’t some ugly passive bullshit attempt to take that away and credit him by some white as fuck sounding name as a pejorative, no matter what they said to cover their tracks after people made noise.

These dudes have some really fucked up luck with how they treat bandmates and then the shit that happens to them afterward.

#10617 logos

logos

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3505 posts
  • Joined 11-December 04

Posted Today, 04:11 AM

Yep. Omar is a sociopath or something similar. Massive ego despite the quiet demeanor

#10618 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 7234 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14
  • Interests:Friend of cats and foxes.

Posted Today, 07:54 AM

Omar calls Juan a sociopath, then he falls into a coma and comes out with a brain injury, and then Omar still has the audacity to change his album credits to “John Peter” on all the reissues lmao. Now THAT’S pretty sociopathic imo. Even if it’s Juan’s birth name or something, dude was the one who hung the Mexican flag proudly on his bass cabinet at all their shows and repped the culture loud. Omar knows what name he lives his life and professional career by and you won’t ever convince me that wasn’t some ugly passive bullshit attempt to take that away and credit him by some white as fuck sounding name as a pejorative, no matter what they said to cover their tracks after people made noise.

It still leaves an absolutely awful taste in the mouth.

#10619 matt was taken

matt was taken

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1033 posts
  • Joined 09-May 05

Posted Today, 01:51 PM

Did you see the bit where it turned out Cedric’s dad’s neighbour’s daughter’s abusive boyfriend was actually two dwarves in a trench coat? Shit is scandalous.

Can’t wait for the next episode.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

4 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users

Cosmonaut_10, Catafalque7, bronxblanco1, toa