IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Mars Volta vinyl

• Please log in to reply
1935 replies to this topic

#1881 hbk111

hbk111

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3160 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 23 May 2020 - 05:34 AM

No that’s made up b.s.

#1882 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10377 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 23 May 2020 - 06:58 AM

The fact there's currently a whole new generation of music listeners spending their formative years on streaming services that lack classic ORL and De Facto is really a tragedy.

Back when the only legal way to consume music was to buy CDs, of which regular stores only had a limited selection, and which were waaaay to expensive for a young person to buy, everybody interested in music automatically developed a habit of informing themselves on the Internet about the discographies of their favorite artists and collecting it via filesharing. Not the same anymore with the overwhelming supply on streaming services. Imagine wanting to check out Omar's solo work for the first time today. You would head to Spotify, find 20+ albums and think that it's all available on there and look no further. You would never find Calibration, Apocalypse, Absence, Se Dice, Crypto, classic Xenophanes. You wouldn't necessary understand what Telesterion is. You would find his albums more cluttered and inconsistent than they are on average. You would think his cover of "Lights" was a relevant track.

I mean, wikipedia?

#1883 Athleticist

Athleticist

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2429 posts
  • Joined 26-October 03
  • Interests:got a k named chop

Posted 23 May 2020 - 12:51 PM

The rumor I heard was that Sonny Kay was working on a rough sketch for Nocto album art/cover, and showed band sketch. They said “we’ll take it as is” (much to the disappointment and shock of SK as it was literally a rough sketch of a rough sketch).

#1884 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4157 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 23 May 2020 - 11:52 PM

The rumor I heard was that Sonny Kay was working on a rough sketch for Nocto album art/cover, and showed band sketch. They said “we’ll take it as is” (much to the disappointment and shock of SK as it was literally a rough sketch of a rough sketch).

it was supposed to be for minor cuts and scrapes iirc, an omar solo album for sure. says it in his book

#1885 patsyinclined

patsyinclined

#StillNoAnswers

• Members
  • 9262 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11

Posted 24 May 2020 - 03:07 AM

Also they didn't rush the recording of Noct. Omar recorded demos, waited for Cedric who took nearly 2 years and by the time Cedric was ready Omar didn't care anymore about the album and used what were effectively demo takes for the final product.

whoa, is this confirmed?
not quite, but at the time Omar was consistently talking about how the music was old. He also mentioned most of Deantoni's tracks were on the first take, Marcel didn't play on the album and Omar played much of the bass. Juan only rerecorded some parts which omar let him do out of 'respect.' Cedric also spoke extensively about how long it took him to do lyrics and vocals for the album which lead to arguments

I'm surprised about the artwork if that's true. I really like the artwork for Nocto

#1886 Athleticist

Athleticist

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2429 posts
  • Joined 26-October 03

Posted 24 May 2020 - 04:03 AM

it was supposed to be for minor cuts and scrapes iirc, an omar solo album for sure. says it in his book

"says it in his book"  

huh?

#1887 Athleticist

Athleticist

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2429 posts
  • Joined 26-October 03

Posted 24 May 2020 - 04:08 AM

Also they didn't rush the recording of Noct. Omar recorded demos, waited for Cedric who took nearly 2 years and by the time Cedric was ready Omar didn't care anymore about the album and used what were effectively demo takes for the final product.

whoa, is this confirmed?
not quite, but at the time Omar was consistently talking about how the music was old. He also mentioned most of Deantoni's tracks were on the first take, Marcel didn't play on the album and Omar played much of the bass. Juan only rerecorded some parts which omar let him do out of 'respect.' Cedric also spoke extensively about how long it took him to do lyrics and vocals for the album which lead to arguments

I'm surprised about the artwork if that's true. I really like the artwork for Nocto

I loved it too. A few weeks after release i snapped this on my old nokia in flight. Posted on FB and sonny commented joking about copyright infringement. 148930_873597777834_1262927165_n.jpg?_nc

Attached Files

#1888 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 6145 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Interests:Ask me about prison.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 24 May 2020 - 05:16 AM

"says it in his book"  

huh?

Sonny Kay's Artbook states that it was originally for Minor Cuts & Scrapes

#1889 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 6145 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 24 May 2020 - 05:19 AM

whoa, is this confirmed?

This is what I mean.  Juan did some overdubs, but otherwise the album is pretty much Omar and Deanotni and Deantoni mostly did one or two takes. 

Not to mention Noct just kind of sounds like garbage in contrast to the other albums.  I don't even think its the issue with the master. It's just not great sounding instruments, not mixed super well.  

#1890 Athleticist

Athleticist

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2429 posts
  • Joined 26-October 03

Posted 24 May 2020 - 05:25 AM

He probably had the titles mixed up himself at the time of writing that book. Unless the rumor was the band chose a shelved sonny piece instead of commissioning him for a proper nocto piece.

#1891 Athleticist

Athleticist

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2429 posts
  • Joined 26-October 03

Posted 24 May 2020 - 05:28 AM

I guess the point i'm trying to make is that most people whove worked with/for Omar have eventually turned into an entitled lazy artist, besides his immediate collaborators (Teri, brothers, cedric, D).

#1892 hbk111

hbk111

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3160 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 24 May 2020 - 11:00 PM

The artwork was for a solo project and Omar chose it for Noctourniquet, instead of a piece that Jeff Jordan was working on.

Deantoni did drums in one take? How is that new for TMV drum tracks?

#1893 Athleticist

Athleticist

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2429 posts
  • Joined 26-October 03

Posted 24 May 2020 - 11:15 PM

Story of Octahedron cover by JJ:

Attached Files

#1894 Athleticist

Athleticist

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2429 posts
  • Joined 26-October 03

Posted 24 May 2020 - 11:16 PM

I like the story about Omar posting bail for Thomas in NYC. They went straight from police station to recording studio with Frusciante. Thomas tracked all the Octa drums in one take in the middle of the night. John was in shock.

#1895 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 6145 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 25 May 2020 - 04:26 AM

lol "reject critters"

#1896 patsyinclined

patsyinclined

#StillNoAnswers

• Members
  • 9262 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11

Posted 25 May 2020 - 09:06 AM

lol "reject critters"
idgi

#1897 Athleticist

Athleticist

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2429 posts
  • Joined 26-October 03

Posted 25 May 2020 - 03:45 PM

005-Mars-VoltaS-thumb-540x431.jpg

#1898 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 6145 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 25 May 2020 - 03:58 PM

lol "reject critters"
idgi

The album packaging has a bunch of weird animals.  I just loved the term "reject critters".  In my humblest of uninformed opinions Octahedron has the best vinyl packaging and quality out of all their releases.  

#1899 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 6445 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14
  • Interests:Friend of cats and foxes.

Posted 25 May 2020 - 04:09 PM

What was Thomas banged up for?

#1900 Ghost Of Shark Horse

Ghost Of Shark Horse