IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Rank the Ipecac SeriesBecause ranking

• Please log in to reply
332 replies to this topic

#21 hbk111

hbk111

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2843 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 29 October 2016 - 12:50 AM

Sworn Virgins vocals destroy the 2012 records in every way imaginable.

#22 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13251 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 29 October 2016 - 12:53 AM

Too soon haha, I bet a new thread will pop up by the time the last one is released

#23 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • 6792 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted 29 October 2016 - 02:28 AM

Sworn Virgins vocals destroy the 2012 records in every way imaginable.

I agree.  The vocals are still covered in effects but the singing/melodies are great.

#24 patsyinclined

patsyinclined

WHAT IS MY PROBLEM??

• Members
  • 8881 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11
  • Interests:Cross dressing
    gang bangin

Posted 29 October 2016 - 02:46 AM

Vocals are clearer on most 2012 records and SV vocals blend into mix more - both of these things were the biggest complaints about most 2012 albums. I don't really dislike the vocals on SV, I'm just surprised that they don't bother people like they did on those albums

really do not understand why people adore the last two - especially sworn virgins when it has the 'worst' vocals since 2010 imo. Its a big let down to me, never really seems to get going. Saturine and Logged into Bliss are good songs tho.

That blows my mind because imo those are the worst songs on an otherwise great album. It's very punk rock Omar, and I like the aesthetic of D's drums/keyboard combo in a more rock and roll setting, as opposed to the electro vibe of BR. Pineapple Face/Not Even Toad, High Water Hell and Crows Feet are great tracks and have yet to be topped in this series, in my opinion.

haha, those tracks you listed are probably my worst on that album. I think those songs remind me of boring prog Omar, they sort of just plod along and dont really go anywhere interesting imo (especially Crows Feet). I love what Deantoni (I assume) is doing in Saturine and that sample that the song is based off is so cool. I thought Logged into Bliss was cheesy and a bit Blink-182ish at first, but the song picks up when it 'comes back' with that solo I think - I'm surprised you don't think its as punky as HWH for example. I forgot to mention Trick Harpoon Stare as a song I like but it sort of falls into a bit of a slump and doesn't get its swag back lol.

I mean its all really down to taste and what one likes about Omar's music innit and all these discussions and rankings are ultimately fruitless

#25 radiognome

radiognome

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Joined 09-April 14

Posted 29 October 2016 - 02:57 AM

I think the vocals dont bother people as much as those because not only do they actually fit together with the songs as a mix but the performances are far stronger. Pinapple face is quite possibly my favourite omar vocal performance.

#26 auxfnx

auxfnx

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • Joined 26-October 10

Posted 29 October 2016 - 03:08 AM

I think the vocals dont bother people as much as those because not only do they actually fit together with the songs as a mix but the performances are far stronger. Pinapple face is quite possibly my favourite omar vocal performance.

yeah and he's singing loudly / projecting his voice fully, so the notes are a lot stronger, rather than singing really quietly, which when used with all those effects brings out the breathing and mouth sounds and pitchiness

#27 Germán F.

Germán F.

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2397 posts
  • Joined 24-October 06

Posted 29 October 2016 - 03:15 AM

Why do this now? Still a third of the albums yet to be released

#28 radiognome

radiognome

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Joined 09-April 14

Posted 29 October 2016 - 03:37 AM

Because it's fun watching/participating in the bickering?

#29 patsyinclined

patsyinclined

WHAT IS MY PROBLEM??

• Members
  • 8881 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11
    gang bangin

Posted 29 October 2016 - 04:01 AM

ill agree that the performances are stronger, but again I'd argue that the vocals fit majority of those 2012 albums. With the exception of USM and a couple of songs on Saber/Equinox, I think it would sound weird if the vocals were like Corazones or something. I think songs like Mono, Turn For Carin and even Gentle Umbrellas sound great with the muddy vox

#30 Knifeprty

Knifeprty

Baphomet

• Coma Donor
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Joined 14-August 04
  • Interests:video games, music, drawing and painting.

Posted 29 October 2016 - 07:23 AM

aranas

sworn virgins

cell phone bikini

umbrella mistress

#31 Jehu

Jehu

I like to drive

• Members
  • 6105 posts
  • Joined 03-November 08
  • Interests:Mostly driving
  • Twitter

Posted 29 October 2016 - 07:42 AM

Vocals are clearer on most 2012 records and SV vocals blend into mix more - both of these things were the biggest complaints about most 2012 albums. I don't really dislike the vocals on SV, I'm just surprised that they don't bother people like they did on those albums

really do not understand why people adore the last two - especially sworn virgins when it has the 'worst' vocals since 2010 imo. Its a big let down to me, never really seems to get going. Saturine and Logged into Bliss are good songs tho.

That blows my mind because imo those are the worst songs on an otherwise great album. It's very punk rock Omar, and I like the aesthetic of D's drums/keyboard combo in a more rock and roll setting, as opposed to the electro vibe of BR. Pineapple Face/Not Even Toad, High Water Hell and Crows Feet are great tracks and have yet to be topped in this series, in my opinion.

haha, those tracks you listed are probably my worst on that album. I think those songs remind me of boring prog Omar, they sort of just plod along and dont really go anywhere interesting imo (especially Crows Feet). I love what Deantoni (I assume) is doing in Saturine and that sample that the song is based off is so cool. I thought Logged into Bliss was cheesy and a bit Blink-182ish at first, but the song picks up when it 'comes back' with that solo I think - I'm surprised you don't think its as punky as HWH for example. I forgot to mention Trick Harpoon Stare as a song I like but it sort of falls into a bit of a slump and doesn't get its swag back lol.

I mean its all really down to taste and what one likes about Omar's music innit and all these discussions and rankings are ultimately fruitless

I like that we both have a habit of ending our posts in "opinions suck life is pointless etc etc"

Anyway I get what you're saying. I don't mean to imply that I don't like Saturine or Logged Into Bliss, but it's those other songs I mentioned that really make that record. I also agree on Trick Harpoon which is a great tune that I should have mentioned earlier

I think Sworn Virgins is particularly good for having different songs structures, which most of the Ipecac albums since haven't done much with. Omar has always had a thing for the "verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus" structure, but most of the songs on SV mess around with it. The rest of the new records have been pretty vanilla in that sense and I keep coming back to SV after every new one comes out... It feels like "Classic Omar" while still doing something new. 

While we're at it, Un Escorpion Perfumado is still Omar's best record and I dare anyone to challenge me.

#32 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • 6792 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted 29 October 2016 - 08:30 AM

I like that we both have a habit of ending our posts in "opinions suck life is pointless etc etc"

Anyway I get what you're saying. I don't mean to imply that I don't like Saturine or Logged Into Bliss, but it's those other songs I mentioned that really make that record. I also agree on Trick Harpoon which is a great tune that I should have mentioned earlier

I think Sworn Virgins is particularly good for having different songs structures, which most of the Ipecac albums since haven't done much with. Omar has always had a thing for the "verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus" structure, but most of the songs on SV mess around with it. The rest of the new records have been pretty vanilla in that sense and I keep coming back to SV after every new one comes out... It feels like "Classic Omar" while still doing something new. 

While we're at it, Un Escorpion Perfumado is still Omar's best record and I dare anyone to challenge me.

Challenge declined  :brofist: although I'm still obsessed with El Bien right now since it's a nice fresh take on Escorpion.

#33 patsyinclined

patsyinclined

WHAT IS MY PROBLEM??

• Members
  • 8881 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11
    gang bangin

Posted 29 October 2016 - 09:51 AM

yeah for sure, I guess SV doesn't really do anything that blows my mind with its structures, whereas I think there's some amazing stuff within the more basic structures on Corazones UM and El Bien. Cell Phone Bikini I think is good with ditching more traditional structures and doing interesting stuff. Amarillo and Wolf in particular

Also I will challenge you, Cizana de los Amores is the best album which anybody with a brain realises.

#34 frantiqe

frantiqe

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts
  • Joined 08-November 07

Posted 29 October 2016 - 09:56 AM

Blind Worms, Pious Swine

El Bien y Mal Nos Une

Arañas en la Sombra

Corazones

Umbrella Mistress

Cell Phone Bikini

Sworn Virgins

Infinity Drips

#35 Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Joined 27-April 09

Posted 29 October 2016 - 10:21 AM

Cell Phone Bikini (already the one I've listened to the most)

El Bien Y Mal Nos Une (the one I've listened to the least but recognized as one of the best at first listen)

Umbrella Mistress (so unexpected to me, didnt thought I'd like it but I keep going back to half of the tracks)

Blind Worms, Pious Swine (for the first track and Lights mostly - had this album on replay for two weeks)

Sworn Virgins

Aranas en la Sombra (should have been my favorite but was the biggest disappointment...)

Corazones

Infinity Drips (couldnt go past the third song)

#36 PliskinTMV

PliskinTMV

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Joined 02-March 12

Posted 29 October 2016 - 10:29 AM

Sworn Virgins (Top 5 Omar's albums)
El Bien Y Mal Nos Une
Corazones
Blind Worms
Aranas
Umbrella Mistress / Cell Phone Bikini
Infinity Drips

#37 temporal lob

temporal lob

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Joined 02-September 13

Posted 29 October 2016 - 12:05 PM

Boring progy Omar FTW

#38 hbk111

hbk111

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2843 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 29 October 2016 - 03:05 PM

Cell Phone Bikini (already the one I've listened to the most)
El Bien Y Mal Nos Une (the one I've listened to the least but recognized as one of the best at first listen)
Umbrella Mistress (so unexpected to me, didnt thought I'd like it but I keep going back to half of the tracks)
Blind Worms, Pious Swine (for the first track and Lights mostly - had this album on replay for two weeks)
Sworn Virgins
Aranas en la Sombra (should have been my favorite but was the biggest disappointment...)
Corazones
Infinity Drips (couldnt go past the third song)

This is my list.

Awesome.

#39 natedog807

natedog807

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2872 posts
  • Joined 11-April 11
  • Interests:I wanted to edit this, but this just seems like a lot of work. I need to do my English essay and study for my Econ final

Posted 29 October 2016 - 07:58 PM

#40 xpgno

xpgno

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4437 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 29 October 2016 - 08:10 PM

The record I think is the best completely destroys the record you think is the best, reducing it to a pile of goo on the floor, which it then eats for breakfast and shits out and flings at novice noobs who would dare to think that the record I think is the best isn't the best. The record I think is the best places the record you think is the best in a headlock and squeezes until the record you think is the best is forced to say uncle and bow down like a little bitch to the record I think is the best. The record I think is the best then forces the record you think is the best to wear a dog collar and a service every need of the record I think is the best. The record you think is the best is taking out the trash, washing the dishes and sweeping the floors while the record I think is the best sits back and sips lemonade, receiving oral sex from a plethora of wenches.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users