IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Red Hot Chili Peppers (RHCP)

• Please log in to reply
1070 replies to this topic

#1061 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5844 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14
  • Interests:Friend of cats and foxes.

Posted 21 February 2020 - 11:26 AM

Unbeliveable how much better the US vinyl master of Stadium Arcadium is to the godawul CD press. LIke listening to two different records. Anyway, since questioning Frusciante on the other thread I've basically listened to nothing but RHCP and his solo stuff.

#1062 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • 10123 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 21 February 2020 - 03:18 PM

And what is your favorite record atm? And your current opinion about his work in general?

#1063 Petra

Petra

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  • Joined 16-February 09

Posted 21 February 2020 - 04:07 PM

I have been obsessed with music since I was a little dude. Went to music college and play many instruments.... but I never made the jump to vinyl. Always seemed so expensive to start all over. That comment up there is really making me consider getting a turntable and speakers. Any suggestions on those? Something that isn't top of the line but better than average?? Thanks.

#1064 TL_

TL_

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2527 posts
  • Joined 11-October 10

Posted 21 February 2020 - 05:24 PM

Unbeliveable how much better the US vinyl master of Stadium Arcadium is to the godawul CD press. LIke listening to two different records. Anyway, since questioning Frusciante on the other thread I've basically listened to nothing but RHCP and his solo stuff.

Be sure to check out the b-sides for every album from The Empyrean forward, arguably some of the best tracks for each of the albums. (Today is probably my favorite JF song.)

I have been obsessed with music since I was a little dude. Went to music college and play many instruments.... but I never made the jump to vinyl. Always seemed so expensive to start all over. That comment up there is really making me consider getting a turntable and speakers. Any suggestions on those? Something that isn't top of the line but better than average?? Thanks.

Can't recommend speakers, but Audio Technica LP60 and LP120 are great turntables.

#1065 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 5844 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14

Posted 21 February 2020 - 05:35 PM

Check out the mastering information on discogs for how each vinyl version, and CD, compare. From wiki, here's a waveform comparison of Snow (CD top, vinyl bottom):

2880px-RHCP_Snow_Hey_Oh_waveform.png

As a rule, anything mastered by Gray and Hoffman is going to sound incredible. I researched Blood Sugar, OHM and Californication presses - it may have cost a little bit more, but I am glad to have the very best sounding versions of those vinyl records.

#1066 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 5844 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14

Posted 21 February 2020 - 05:38 PM

And what is your favorite record atm? And your current opinion about his work in general?

i'mma come back to this x

#1067 TL_

TL_

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2527 posts
  • Joined 11-October 10

Posted 21 February 2020 - 05:42 PM

Check out the mastering information on discogs for how each vinyl version, and CD, compare. From wiki, here's a waveform comparison of Snow (CD top, vinyl bottom):

2880px-RHCP_Snow_Hey_Oh_waveform.png

As a rule, anything mastered by Gray and Hoffman is going to sound incredible. I researched Blood Sugar, OHM and Californication presses - it may have cost a little bit more, but I am glad to have the very best sounding versions of those vinyl records.

Omar's solo on Especially in Michigan is different than the CD cut

#1068 rroseselavy

rroseselavy

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts
  • Joined 13-December 19

Posted 21 February 2020 - 09:15 PM

You can simply listen to a vinyl rip to get the advantages of the different mastering. Been doing that for years with BtW and SA.

I don't believe it's a different solo on Especially in Michigan. Besides the short looped bend it's 1:1 exactly the same solo. The loop kind of sounds artificially cut at the end.

#1069 Andrewf

Andrewf

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4552 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted Yesterday, 09:05 AM

yeah its a different edit but i dont get why they did that. BTW, stadium arcadium is the only album in RHCP discography to feature a guest guitarist

#1070 kev821

kev821

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Joined 25-October 04

Posted Yesterday, 02:20 PM

Be sure to check out the b-sides for every album from The Empyrean forward, arguably some of the best tracks for each of the albums. (Today is probably my favorite JF song.)

Can't recommend speakers, but Audio Technica LP60 and LP120 are great turntables.

numarks are also pretty affordable and pioneer as well, or go the used route and get a used technic. Since you play I would get some studio monitor, yamaha, jbl or krk, and double down.

#1071 Kenticus69

Kenticus69

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2841 posts
  • Joined 21-June 05

Posted Yesterday, 07:55 PM

yeah its a different edit but i dont get why they did that. BTW, stadium arcadium is the only album in RHCP discography to feature a guest guitarist

I mean John did feature on every Mars Volta full length besides noctourniquet so was not at all shocked when Omar showed up on SA. I mean SA has songs like torture me which feel very Mars Volta inspired. Sucks that John and Omar haven’t done much stuff together in a long time, when those two hook up it’s always sonic gold.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users