IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

10 years of TBiG

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

in•ter a•li•a•moms

• Party Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5494 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Interests:Ask me be about prison.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 30 January 2018 - 04:22 AM

I was at the pwna at the time, so I don't have any fond memories here, but fuck TBiG was a juggernaut release.

It's dropped in my album ranking over time, but its always a trip to tackle that fucker head-on.

#2 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 13317 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 30 January 2018 - 04:31 AM

My account turns 10 years old next April. I started browsing without an account around the time the Wax Simulacra video was released

#3 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • 6800 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted 30 January 2018 - 05:09 AM

So many fond memories of the hype for this album.  Not only here and the Pwna, but my RL friends were actually hyped up for this one too.  And the album delivered.

#4 issordni

issordni

Goliath

• Coma Donor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4867 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14
  • Interests:Cats and foxes.

Posted 30 January 2018 - 08:14 AM

Even my mate's older sister who was married at the timer and has kids was into this album, i think i heard it at her house first. Pridge was the talk of our office for days. Will blast this when I get home later on. Four hours sleep and wired out my brain on coffee feels like the perfect state for this record.

#5 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

in•ter a•li•a•moms

• Party Members
  • 5494 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 30 January 2018 - 01:28 PM

To me its feeling a little crazy that 4/6 TMV albums ten years old already.  I mean, I've listened to them until they lost all meaning so it is believable, but damn its painful to think its been that long

#6 Ghost Of Shark Horse

Ghost Of Shark Horse

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1307 posts
  • Joined 15-June 15

Posted 30 January 2018 - 02:38 PM

To me its feeling a little crazy that 4/6 TMV albums ten years old already.  I mean, I've listened to them until they lost all meaning so it is believable, but damn its painful to think its been that long

Pretty much this

#7 issordni

issordni

Goliath

• Coma Donor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4867 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14
  • Interests:Cats and foxes.

Posted 30 January 2018 - 02:49 PM

You know I hadn't quite thought about it in those terms. I was ten years younger when I first heard this LP. FUCKING HELL.

#8 Shoko Asahara

Shoko Asahara

神の子羊

• Coma Donor
  • PipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Joined 29-November 08

Posted 30 January 2018 - 07:58 PM

Damn, PWNA days were good, tons of energy and excitement (I can see now why the record did so well commercially.)

I think I was the second PWNA member? Katrinajuice was Blake's super-villain origin account. I made most of the head emojis that live on to this day. Damn, whatever happened to SenseTalkEnd aka Sensibly Talking Endlessly?

TBIG is a weird record and a weird era. It is/was good I think. Except having to hear O&C tell that ouija board shit 1,000,000 times.

:hs:

#9 kathygriffin

kathygriffin

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts
  • Joined 12-December 06

Posted 30 January 2018 - 09:16 PM

And 10 years since that crazy New Year's Eve show at Bill Graham that I thought at the time was going to be the first of many in a longstanding tradition.

#10 Alderetism

Alderetism

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 7460 posts
  • Joined 04-September 09
  • Interests:Peace, love and bass.

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:07 PM

Unique record, there is nothing like it.

#11 patsyinclined

patsyinclined

WHAT IS MY PROBLEM??

• Members
  • 8901 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11
  • Interests:Cross dressing
    gang bangin

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:45 PM

been listening to this a lot recently, it is a really good record. it comes in waves for me. 

#12 temporal lob

temporal lob

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Joined 02-September 13

Posted 30 January 2018 - 11:01 PM

I know it's blasphemy around here, but Pridgen was the best drummer Volta ever had. He made this album so fucking relentless. Except for Tourniquet Man, of course.

#13 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

in•ter a•li•a•moms

• Party Members
  • 5494 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 31 January 2018 - 01:45 AM

I'll shit on Pridgen till the end, but damn he was the right fit for this album.  I do wonder how Theodore would have done it, but Pridgen's over-aggressive playing was needed here.

I saw them for the first time in London in 2008.  What a show.  Busted my camera, but the memories are still fond.  Still got my ticket stub.

I listened to the album today.  Agadez is now one of my favorite tracks.  It just keeps getting better.  Anyone else feel this is kind of 2 albums?  Aberinkula through Goliath is one and Cavalettas onward is the other.  Tourniquet Man is the connecting bridge.  It just feels like the first half is a bit more jovial and up beat and the second half is capital B brutal.

#14 kathygriffin

kathygriffin

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts
  • Joined 12-December 06

Posted 31 January 2018 - 02:07 AM

Anyone else feel this is kind of 2 albums?  Aberinkula through Goliath is one and Cavalettas onward is the other.  Tourniquet Man is the connecting bridge.  It just feels like the first half is a bit more jovial and up beat and the second half is capital B brutal.

It's a long one that's for sure.

#15 patsyinclined

patsyinclined

WHAT IS MY PROBLEM??

• Members
  • 8901 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11
  • Interests:Cross dressing
    gang bangin

Posted 31 January 2018 - 02:29 AM

I listened to the album today.  Agadez is now one of my favorite tracks.  It just keeps getting better.  Anyone else feel this is kind of 2 albums?  Aberinkula through Goliath is one and Cavalettas onward is the other.  Tourniquet Man is the connecting bridge.  It just feels like the first half is a bit more jovial and up beat and the second half is capital B brutal.

i was cold on agadez for a very long time. about 18 months ago it clicked. juan is superb on it, and those last sections are so damn brutal. cavalettas thru askepios one of my favourite volta 3 song stretches

#16 hbk111

hbk111

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2846 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 31 January 2018 - 04:17 AM

Agadez is funky as fuck.

This record is very upbeat until a certain point in the back half where it goes extremely dark and twisted.

#17 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • 9830 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 31 January 2018 - 01:05 PM

Anyone else feel this is kind of 2 albums? Aberinkula through Goliath is one and Cavalettas onward is the other. Tourniquet Man is the connecting bridge. It just feels like the first half is a bit more jovial and up beat and the second half is capital B brutal.

It's a long one that's for sure.

I definitely see out like two albums too

#18 hui43210

hui43210

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2653 posts
  • Joined 04-June 08

Posted 31 January 2018 - 03:14 PM

I was in Grade 12 of high school, and this was the first TMV release I was following all the hype for (my internet skills in 2006 were bad so I missed out on Amp when it first came out). Now I'm working for the Federal Government while getting my 2nd Master's degree. TMV is dead and after ATDI's Interalia, I think it'd be best to leave it that way.... Although Ghost Tape 9 is cool.  

#19 Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Joined 27-April 09

Posted 31 January 2018 - 03:23 PM

Yup, exactly.

I really got into tmv some months after this album release, I think in the summer of '08. Can't believe it's been ten years already. Fuck, I was 14.

While this album isn't one of my favorite, as awesome as it is, Agadez, Ourobouros and Ilyena are probably my most listened tracks by now.

#20 Ghost Of Shark Horse

Ghost Of Shark Horse

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1307 posts
  • Joined 15-June 15

Posted 31 January 2018 - 03:23 PM

TMV is dead and after ATDI's Interalia, I think it'd be best to leave it that way.... Although Ghost Tape 9 is cool.  

True dat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users