IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Unknown Mortal Orchestra

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 natedog807

natedog807

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2886 posts
  • Joined 11-April 11
  • Interests:I wanted to edit this, but this just seems like a lot of work. I need to do my English essay and study for my Econ final

Posted 10 February 2018 - 07:07 PM

Couldn't find a tread so I'm lackadaisically starting a new one

I think Multi-Love is his best work. I'm really glad that he pushed the sonic boundaries of his sound by clearing up the mixing and adding many synths and other sounds as opposed to the minimalistic guitar, bass, drums set up he did for the first two records. Great style of writing that's pretty involved theory wise (at least to me) while still remaining super accessible

I'm skeptical on Sex and Food (releasing April 6th), though definitely can't wait to hear it. American Guilt while well written regressed to the sounds of his previous albums and I hope that this record isn't a completely stagnant one. No telling what this album's got

#2 Ghost Of Shark Horse

Ghost Of Shark Horse

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1357 posts
  • Joined 15-June 15

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:27 PM

Haven't heard anything else apart from Multi-love but I really like that track. Know nothing else about the band/him though so intrigued to hear what else he has done. Any recommendations?

#3 natedog807

natedog807

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2886 posts
  • Joined 11-April 11
  • Interests:I wanted to edit this, but this just seems like a lot of work. I need to do my English essay and study for my Econ final

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:39 PM

I'd say just listen to the whole Multi-Love album. No filler on there for me. It's not mind blowing, but it's very good music and each track is so catchy. Was originally just one guy, Ruben Neilson (probably spelled that incorrectly) who would record, mix and master everything to capture the essence of the 70's chill music he was listening to at the time. I'm pretty sure he still records everything himself, mixing and mastering isn't entirely him. I'm pretty sure he was in a band before this, but I haven't really dived too hard into him as an artist. The first two albums are pretty similar so if you're into riffy, lofi psych rock go for it

#4 Ghost Of Shark Horse

Ghost Of Shark Horse

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1357 posts
  • Joined 15-June 15

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:42 PM

Sounds cool will check it out - like I said, I really dig multi-love track so should be up my street! 

I really liked the lyrics that went something like "she trashed my heart like a motel room" 

#5 xpgno

xpgno

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4558 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:30 PM

American Guilt while well written regressed to the sounds of his previous albums and I hope that this record isn't a completely stagnant one. No telling what this album's got

Yeah I was listening to old UMO and then played like this and was like wtf...it's good but gets dull and repetitive for some reason. I actually think early UMO, when he was just making music for himself that he didn't intend to release is a whole different beast than the current stuff. 

#6 patsyinclined

patsyinclined

#StillNoAnswers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8978 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11
  • Interests:Cross dressing
    gang bangin

Posted 10 February 2018 - 11:10 PM

I really like Multi-Love but like sharky haven't really listened to anything else he's done as UMO. edit: just listened to American Guilt and liked the vibe but found it maybe a little bit repetitive. interest is piqued though

Ruban and his brother Kody also had this band The Mint Chicks which are fucking awesome. F**K The Golden Youth is the best album imo but Crazy? Yes! Dumb? No! is the critically acclaimed one. Its intense arty pop punk

#7 Mostases

Mostases

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 12-February 18

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:25 PM

I really like Multi-Love but like sharky haven't really listened to anything else he's done as UMO. edit: just listened to American Guilt and liked the vibe but found it maybe a little bit repetitive. interest is piqued though

Ruban and his brother Kody also had this band The Mint Chicks which are fucking awesome. F**K The Golden Youth is the best album imo but Crazy? Yes! Dumb? No! is the critically acclaimed one. Its intense arty pop punk

the Mint Chicks are indeed fucking awesome! i mean, i've never heard of them, just heard of them by reading your post, searched, listened - fucking awesome ! thanks!

#8 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3366 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 25 September 2018 - 11:43 PM

never could fuck with these guys but this snippet about their new album definitely has me interested

IC-01 Hanoi is described as “a sonic distillation of the band’s influences in Jazz, Krautrock, and the avant-garde,” and was deeply inspired by the experimental works of Miles Davis, specifically 1972’s On the Corner.

#9 swoonlp

swoonlp

Underneath the surface

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3560 posts
  • Joined 12-October 13

Posted 26 September 2018 - 11:50 AM

Same, this single is exciting !

I enjoyed the first LP, I wanst that hooked with the rest

#10 shiggityshwo

shiggityshwo

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 248 posts
  • Joined 20-August 08

Posted 07 October 2018 - 09:05 AM

In the same boat as the last two posts, the vibe of Hanoi 6 has me pretty damn intrigued, that sax kicking in was a nice surprise and I hope the free-flowing/experimental nature of the track hints to the album's sound

Had been keeping my ears open to this band, but really the only thing that had stuck with me until now was this song 

#11 shaREEB

shaREEB

Butthole

• Party Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11752 posts
  • Joined 17-November 08

Posted 07 October 2018 - 02:57 PM

I like this song.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users