IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

HellaOfficial thread

• Please log in to reply
902 replies to this topic

#1 piesore

piesore

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3078 posts
  • Joined 07-October 03
  • Interests:Guitar, reading, music, movies, all the normal stuff.

Posted 26 February 2005 - 12:33 AM

Come get it if you want it.
I just found out about the album's existence yesterday, and found it on soulseek today, and am listening to it now. It has been a good 24 hours.

#2 Thirty2Seconds

Thirty2Seconds

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2616 posts
  • Joined 30-June 03
  • Interests:my name is roy and im fuckin pissed. nah just kidding.
  • Myspace

Posted 26 February 2005 - 12:34 AM

got. to. download.

#3 piesore

piesore

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3078 posts
  • Joined 07-October 03

Posted 26 February 2005 - 12:37 AM

I have it, so it will be shared on soulseek, and if you can't access my files, contact me on AIM or MSN.
I won't comment on it until I've listened to it at least a few times, which will probably be a while since it's two whole discs, and each one is a solo album.
All I can say right now is it's a lot less mathy than their previous full lengths. A lot more vocals too on the first disc, but it seems to fit so far.

#4 Guest_bobthesalesclerk_*

Guest_bobthesalesclerk_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 26 February 2005 - 12:37 AM

Id get it but im still getting the Amsterdam boot.

#5 Thirty2Seconds

Thirty2Seconds

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2616 posts
  • Joined 30-June 03
  • Myspace

Posted 26 February 2005 - 02:35 AM

i'm not seeing it in your share ;_;

#6 piesore

piesore

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3078 posts
  • Joined 07-October 03

Posted 26 February 2005 - 06:00 AM

really? I swear, it's shared, I must have not restarted. Let me do that.

#7 piesore

piesore

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3078 posts
  • Joined 07-October 03

Posted 26 February 2005 - 06:01 AM

yep, it's shared now.

#8 Thirty2Seconds

Thirty2Seconds

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2616 posts
  • Joined 30-June 03
  • Myspace

Posted 26 February 2005 - 05:46 PM

awesome, i downloaded over the night. getting ready for a two disc jam session.

#9 Stalktheground11

Stalktheground11

The Bling Bling Voyager Version 3.2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14170 posts
  • Joined 11-November 03
  • Interests:ROLLERBLADING

Posted 26 February 2005 - 06:48 PM

I think I'm making it a weekly habit to regurgitate how fiendish Zach Hill is.

#10 piesore

piesore

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3078 posts
  • Joined 07-October 03

Posted 27 February 2005 - 10:15 AM

Does anyone have any interview where they talk about the guitar tuning? Is it standard or do they use anything strange outside of drop d?
Because I was trying to learn Republic of Rough and Ready, and I can emulate the notes, but looking at him play it in a live video, his fingers are going places on the fretboard that don't get the same notes on mine.

#11 piesore

piesore

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3078 posts
  • Joined 07-October 03

Posted 28 February 2005 - 03:48 AM

I like both albums a lot at least after a couple of listens.
Both are pretty different from the last two, but it still feels very much like Hella to me.
It looks like Zack might be the one giving Hella it's spastic frenzied feel, listening to his solo record. It's not just the pulverizing drumming you'd expect, the guitars, keyboards and vocals are pretty damn crazy too. At this point a lot of the songs have a similar feel to them, but there are still parts which stick out, like the Jimi Hendrix track, which is stunningly beautiful.
The production's the best it's ever been, which really helps bring out the destructiveness of his drumming, and the vocals have this nice layered feel, so it sounds a lot better than when they redid Republic of Rough and Ready with vocals. It's a lot more song orientied, so I don't know how people will react, but it's as intense, and a lot of the time, more intense than anything they've done before.

I really like the music on the the guitarist's part, it's basically the electronic video game music they did for their two eps. But if Zack would have done the drumming, it would have helped tons. It sounds flat and tepid, like how old school nintendo music sounds,especially after just listening to the whirlwind force that is Zack's solo record.

So, overall, they're pretty bomb records, especially Zacks...I think if Chirpin Hard had been redone with Zack's drumming, the songwriting would be overall better or at least more distinct.

I'd recommend people who don't like Hella for being all instrumental and too technical to listen to Zack's solo record, Church Gone Wild, it's super energetic, but more oriented towards songs and vocals.

#12 Mystery Whyte Boy

Mystery Whyte Boy

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts
  • Joined 06-January 04

Posted 01 March 2005 - 10:08 AM

I only heard of Hella last week, I'm about to hear one of their albums today (my friend is bringing it round today), this new double album sounds exciting! seems to be a thing about double albums lately, with Outkast, Eels, Bright Eyes (that's kiiind of a double album) and Hella

#13 piesore

piesore

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3078 posts
  • Joined 07-October 03

Posted 01 March 2005 - 10:16 AM

It's pretty different than their last two, I think it's best to start w/ their first and work your way foward. Their first record is really one of the pinacles of bombastic math rock.
Then they released two Eps of electronic music, which I actually like more musically than their debut, but it's completely different than their first record. Their second full length is a combo between these two sounds. The production is thinner sounding, b/c it was recorded live, but they sound tighter and more energetic as a unit, even if the songs don't feel quite as varied.
Then there's this record, which listening to it more, it's a bit same sounding, but the energy and production is destructive.

#14 Mystery Whyte Boy

Mystery Whyte Boy

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts
  • Joined 06-January 04

Posted 01 March 2005 - 04:43 PM

I'm currently listening to Hold Your Horse Is

this is awesome

#15 don't be afraid

don't be afraid

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 241 posts
  • Joined 05-September 03

Posted 03 March 2005 - 02:23 AM

Listening to both of these albums has sort of changed my look at Hella. First it was all THE DRUMMING IS INSANE, OH YEAH AND GUITARS TOO. Then after I saw them live I thought THE DRUMMING IS INSANE, AND THE GUITAR IS RAD TOO.

But now, as far as '[respective instrument] virtuoso points' go, I think Spencer is at least on par, or even higher than Zach. I dunno, I just get the impression that if Richard D. James was human and played guitar, he'd probably play like Spencer.

#16 piesore

piesore

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3078 posts
  • Joined 07-October 03

Posted 03 March 2005 - 04:24 AM

Spencers wicked at guitar, he definitely doesn't get as much credit as Zack. But what on these albums make you think he's such a virtuoso? There's not much guitar playing on his record.

#17 don't be afraid

don't be afraid

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 241 posts
  • Joined 05-September 03

Posted 03 March 2005 - 05:39 AM

I've just never heard playing like that--not so much the whole tapping play, but the style, note selections, etc. This is more than likely due to a lack of education.

Again I mention Aphex Twin -- some may thing it's just very simple, "dude he's just pushing buttons I could do that." But I don't really think anyone but him could have thought up melodies like that.

I guess it's like...some Midi song. It may sound really gay and dumb, but there still exist certain note combinations, melodies that will make even the simplest thing be fucking awesome.

#18 piesore

piesore

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3078 posts
  • Joined 07-October 03

Posted 03 March 2005 - 06:46 AM

I like his solo record a lot, I was just wondering what made you like him now, opposed to his earlier work, since I thought his playing was more technical than in the past. Like he's doing all the guitar parts at once on the first 2 hella records which blows my mind, they aren't dubbed over each other.

#19 arejay

arejay

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1936 posts
  • Joined 09-April 04

Posted 05 April 2005 - 12:07 AM

Hella is a chaotic guitar/drum duo from California. They're very interesting. Check them out.
If you're into Hella you might want to check out a similar band, Hydrogen Party, I know the guys, they do the same sound. Even a "Brown Metal" (by Hella) cover. They played Brown Metal live a few times and played it on a steel chair. It was nifty.
Hydrogen Party - The March And The Requiem

If that doesn't work, IM me @ lopsid3d if you're interested.

#20 Lime Fetus

Lime Fetus

shoop da whoop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5279 posts
  • Joined 11-July 03

Posted 05 April 2005 - 12:08 AM

I LOVE Hella. Especially the new album. It's great.

Definitely listen to Pink & Brown if you like Hella. They're on Load Records, along with some other similar bands. The USA Is A Monster is good too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users