IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

MagmaThe Thread

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5862 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Interests:Ask me about prison.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 15 March 2016 - 01:15 PM

tour starts today.  Who is going?

#42 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 5862 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 18 March 2016 - 04:19 AM

Setlist for the 16th

Spoiler

#43 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 5862 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 26 March 2016 - 04:07 PM

Just me in here? Saw them yesterday on night 1 of their 2 night stay in Chicago.  Amazing show, just like last year.  Their new keyboardist is some real young person (they said 27), but he KILLS it during Kobaia.  Set-list the same as above minus Zombies.  The opener, Helen Money, is pretty interesting.  Has a Cello and a big pedal board and just goes wild.  Reminded me of Marriages or Chelsea Wolfe.  

Some guy behind me was pretty wasted when the opener started and went to get more drinks between sets.  Once Magma started I saw up at the front of the stage filming with this big spotlight on his phone blocking people who had paid seats (standing room for the most part, but the very front of the venue, a back balcony, and above the stage had paid seating).  Security kept trying to put him back with the crowd, but he would eventually keep moving forward.  At some point he shoved the security worker and got taken down super quick and thrown out.  One of the singers watched the whole thing happen and just awkwardly shrugged and went back to singing.  Just a weird moment considering half the audience was a bunch of young 20 somethings and the other half was middle aged folk.  

#44 crawlinginpasta

crawlinginpasta

Televator

• Coma Donor
  • Pip
  • 211 posts
  • Joined 26-March 16

Posted 27 March 2016 - 03:54 AM

Adelaide Festival review 2016: Sunn O))) and Magma

Thebarton Theatre, March 12

SOME people like to go out with a bang but the final music act of David Sefton’s time as Adelaide Festival director was more like a nuclear warhead going off.

Sefton’s four years in charge has placed contemporary music at its centre and the co-headline billing of cult French progressive rock band Magma and experimental metal/drone band Sunn O))) at the Thebarton Theatre was the perfect finale.

First on the bill was Magma. The eight members took to the stage with founder Christian Vander in the centre, flanked by a keyboardist and xylophonist.

Playing drums and occasionally singing, Vander created a metronomic pulse for the rest of the band to follow.

Focusing on their material from the 1970s, the band melded operatic vocals with a Krautrock feel more akin to their German neighbours than the progressive rock Pink Floyd were producing across the channel during the same period.

Magma’s music used repeated vocal lines to a hypnotic effect and was made even more engaging by the clever and constantly changing use of stage lighting.

After a short break, four members of Sunn O))) took to the stage dressed in black robes among a wall of guitar amplifiers and an auditorium pumped full of smoke.

A low drone started, and as bass frequencies were added from guitars and keyboards it built into a sound that went beyond loud and became a physical sensation.

Legendary black metal vocalist Attila Csihar eventually joined his band mates onstage. He used his voice as an instrument to add to the frequencies and at other times growled and screamed in the style that made him famous.

Sunn O)))’s music is like Black Sabbath’s heaviest moments played louder than a jet engine and as slow as a glacier.

There are no songs, per se — founding member Stephen O’Malley said their shows have movements rather than tracks — and the slightest change of chord or note felt like the movement of tectonic plates.

It had all the makings of a heavy metal gig but the crowd stood still and let the all-consuming bass drone engulf them.

The addition of a trombone added colour to the sound and towards the end Csihar returned to the stage dressed in a cloak covered in mirror shards and lasers shooting from his hands. His screams became more desperate and agonised as the sound became louder still.

Time stood still for the almost religious ritual created by Sunn O))) and when it was over there was nothing left but shock and awe in the stunned crowd.

TOM DOUGHERTY

#45 powerslaver

powerslaver

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts
  • Joined 25-April 13

Posted 28 March 2016 - 12:41 AM

Im in austin and the whole band minus christian vander walked on the front door lol

#46 powerslaver

powerslaver

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts
  • Joined 25-April 13

Posted 28 March 2016 - 08:26 PM

Awesome show! The played Theusz Hamtaahk,M.D.K. and Zombies,the show was interrupted during the first song cause of the bass that wasn't working but they started again,everyone was on point is almost like you were listening to a record cause everybody was playing so tight,the opener Helen Money was really cool even though the emotion on some of her pieces was interrupted by some indie band that was playing behind the venue,i really liked it tho

#47 powerslaver

powerslaver

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts
  • Joined 25-April 13

Posted 10 April 2016 - 04:32 PM

Can anybody download and upload the two bootlegs from this tour that are in dimeadozen? I dont have ratio over there but i have some magma bootlegs to trade

#48 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 5862 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 11 April 2016 - 02:22 AM

downloaded both shows.  Don't know when I'll get around to uploading them

#49 powerslaver

powerslaver

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts
  • Joined 25-April 13

Posted 11 April 2016 - 03:19 AM

I have magma live at lille 1981 fm broadcast and live at metz 1972 soundboard so tell me when so ill upload them and give you the link

#50 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 5862 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 11 April 2016 - 04:37 AM

just feel free to bother me about it if I don't get around to it in the near future.

One boot sounded great, other was iffy, but those renditions of Kobaia on this tour are mental

#51 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 5862 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 01 May 2019 - 12:33 PM

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be