IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Patrick WatsonAdventures In Your Own Backyard (April 17, 2012)

• Please log in to reply
171 replies to this topic

#21 boman

boman

Custom member title wave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7116 posts
  • Joined 27-July 06

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:53 AM

his new album, Wooden Arms, is very good

#22 flipzoso

flipzoso

ZK

• Party Members
  • 7114 posts
  • Joined 24-October 06

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:27 PM

his new album, Wooden Arms, is very good

is amazing.

I highly highly reccommend this guy. I'm looking forward to seeing him two nights here, he's also going to be hitting Europe a bit so catch him if you can. Judging by videos I've seen on YouTube and how he talks about his live shows it seems very promising. THe kind of live show that gets me excited.

http://fiumenights.c...tm_medium=email

Over the past 3 years, we have filmed more than 150 bands, inside/outside/acoustic/electric, fun for most, boring sometimes. Never any band made us such a great impression as Patrick Watson and the Wooden Arms. It was a year ago, it’s finally online, and it still remains one of my favourite movies, and probably the best Take Away Show ever. Not much to add to this, so i’d be happy if you take time to watch it - this is the long version of the Take Away Show, and you can see the 4 separated episodes here.

His Euro tour dates:
May 24 Breda, Netherlands @ Mezz
May 25 Brussels, Belgium@ L'Ancienne Belgique Box
May 26 Amsterdam, Netherlands @ Melkweg
May 28 Hamburg, Germany @ Ubel Und Gefahrlich
May 29 Berlin, Germany @ Passionskirsche
May 31 Cologne, Germany @ Luxor
June 2 Paris, France @ La Maroquinerie
June 4 London, England @ Union

#23 Interositor

Interositor

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 123 posts
  • Joined 10-September 05

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:53 PM

You know what, Flip? It's nice to see you acting in some other capacity than as a hard ass moderator.

My girlfriend saw Patrick Watson a couple years ago and was very impressed. I hadn't heard about this record, but now I have I'll try and chase it down. Thanks for the recommendation, guys.

#24 post_scriptum

post_scriptum

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2216 posts
  • Joined 20-June 04

Posted 19 May 2009 - 11:52 PM

Pitchfork hated this but I love it.

#25 flipzoso

flipzoso

ZK

• Party Members
  • 7114 posts
  • Joined 24-October 06

Posted 11 June 2009 - 11:16 PM

Holy http://3voor12.vpro....9804/42088588/0 moly

He has a mofuggin string quartet with him too now! So, sick.

#26 boman

boman

Custom member title wave

• Members
  • 7116 posts
  • Joined 27-July 06

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:16 AM

Holy http://3voor12.vpro....9804/42088588/0 moly

He has a mofuggin string quartet with him too now! So, sick.

this was so fucking good!
i keep watching it over and over
professionally filmed!
all of wooden arms!
the best of close to paradise!
that weird megaphone backpack!
strings!
amazing.

also the first extremely loud "ba ba bas" on big bird made me laughed

#27 flipzoso

flipzoso

ZK

• Party Members
  • 7114 posts
  • Joined 24-October 06

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:38 PM

very funny ending

#28 flipzoso

flipzoso

ZK

• Party Members
  • 7114 posts
  • Joined 24-October 06

Posted 19 June 2009 - 06:22 AM

Two shows I saw tonight and last night were absolutely amazing. I would go into details but there just too much to say. Honestly, honestly, honestly go see this guy and the band if you get a chance.

Tonight's show was probably the best of the year for me.

the jams i mean...ugh..the flow of them...the perfect balance of free improv and rehearsed jam and..uhhh its just amazing. thats just one aspect

#29 flipzoso

flipzoso

ZK

• Party Members
  • 7114 posts
  • Joined 24-October 06

Posted 05 July 2009 - 06:24 PM

VERY special FREE show at Montreal Jazz fest tonight with a horn section, percusionnist Guy Nadon, and guest singer Lhasa de Sala. WATCH THE BROADCAST HERE TONIGHT: http://enmusique.ca/patrickwatson

Look for flipper too. :wink:

#30 boman

boman

Custom member title wave

• Members
  • 7116 posts
  • Joined 27-July 06

Posted 05 July 2009 - 11:19 PM

VERY special FREE show at Montreal Jazz fest tonight with a horn section, percusionnist Guy Nadon, and guest singer Lhasa de Sala. WATCH THE BROADCAST HERE TONIGHT: http://enmusique.ca/patrickwatson

Look for flipper too. :wink:

fuck
someone should definitely put this on youtube somehow

#31 flipzoso

flipzoso

ZK

• Party Members
  • 7114 posts
  • Joined 24-October 06

Posted 06 July 2009 - 07:45 AM

yeah that was the greatest show I have ever seen

no lie, no exaguration

will posta full review shit tomorrow

http://www.montrealg...2468/story.html

#32 flipzoso

flipzoso

ZK

• Party Members
  • 7114 posts
  • Joined 24-October 06

Posted 06 July 2009 - 08:24 PM

I wrote this elsewhere.

I went to see Patrick Watson live at Festivale Internationale du Jazz in Montreal. Unbelievable, the best show I have ever seen.

Now I saw him back two nights in a row on June 17 and 18, and bother were stunning, the second date was one of my favourites of the years. So being a new know-it-all of his live set, I thought I knew what I was in for. I mean I knew they were going to have a special horn sections and guest singers etc but that was only the surface.

About 50,000? 60,000? maybe more? were in attendance. I was right behind the sound-desk. Nice clear view of the whole stage…including all the buildings and high-tops. ;-)

His set followed the routine opening flow, but that’s the only thing that remained the same was the song “names”. When Fireweed started up with the blanket down and the man running on fire (as per the music video) was projected onto the screen as well as all four adjacent buildings, you couldn’t help but think you were in for something truly unique. You then see the silhouette of Robbie (percussionist) rowing the windmaker but then you hear some noises coming from high up. I noticed about five people set up about five stories high on a platform with steelsheets moving them to crate windsound, and then look up at top-left another ten or so high up doing the same. The projectors shoot out some patterns along the buildings, you see firebuilding up along the walls and then Patrick opens up for the beautiful ThomYorkish vocal melodies with the loop in hand.

Now on his latest album he has a song called Beijing which actually uses a bicycle in the wall of sound, so they had a bicycle attached to a platform fifty feet high in which their friend was riding it with a click in the wheel and the spotlight was on him, Patrick laughing the crowd cheering. Movie reels of streets of Beijing were being projected.

For Wooden Arms, which was written in a park in Amsterdam about big trees, he had a bunch of trees in the back and Marrie-Pierre Arthur a very talented young Canadian singer was on backing.

Big Bird in a Small Cage was opened up acapella by the girls humming the chords, very neat.

Then the blinds went shut and the project screen came out for a little marionette show that was going along with their performance of Travelling Salesman.

For Where The Wild Things are (which was written for the film by Spike Jonze, but Spike ignored it…we assume…which is sad). They had a hand shadow muppet dude from India do it on this silhouette screen making all kinds of interesting shapes and animals with his hands.

Not to mention this whole time the band is amazing btw, they are all extremely talented musicians and the addition of the string section on the latest tour is a wise move.

Finally Patrick brings out the signature megaphone backpack, but ALL the band members had one this time and they were equipped with lights to. The band travelled into the audience amongst the xthousand people playing through it and getting all of them to sing along.

Posted Image

This was probably the highlight of the night.

Then they got a percussionist Guy Nadon to do a long drum solo while they walked back and got ready to end the set with Machinery of the Heavens. With lighted balloons rising from the top of the stage.

For Luscious Life at the very end during the jam they extended it and Patrick kept mentioning “keep it going” as if they were waiting for something, then boom you see the sparks all light up along the building beside the crowd and boom fire lights up the main stage.

Double encore with great escape almost acapella and audience just singing. Followed by Bright Shiny Lights with Trombone call and response.

Zappa Plays Zappa was the best musical performance I have seen but this was the best “show” as in spectacle, I have ever seen.

Check him out on his upcoming tours whenever that may be. Note: it won’t be as grand as this.

And now you can see it all for yourselves http://enmusique.ca/patrickwatson

#33 boman

boman

Custom member title wave

• Members
  • 7116 posts
  • Joined 27-July 06

Posted 06 July 2009 - 09:01 PM

awesome!
anyway to full screen this?

#34 timehasrunaway

timehasrunaway

Custom member title

• Members
  • 6109 posts
  • Joined 23-June 04

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:33 AM

Maaan. They played at a bar when they came to San Francisco. Alas, I am but 20 until April. I wish I could have seen them.

I wasn't sure how much I liked Wooden Arms at first, but it's definitely one of my favorite albums now.

#35 flipzoso

flipzoso

ZK

• Party Members
  • 7114 posts
  • Joined 24-October 06

Posted 18 August 2009 - 05:44 AM

my euro coma friends, he's there now in stockholm or something. seek him

#36 monkey in orbit

monkey in orbit

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Joined 05-September 07

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:38 AM

when I think how me and Patrick Watson used to wash dishes at the same restaurant and Simon Angel was a cook there too lol
nice guys.. Simon got me into John Zorn, he's a huge John Zorn Fan

At the time Patrick Watson gave me a copy of Just Another Ordinary Day and then they started recording Close to Paradise and had just struck a record deal, i was lucky enough to hear Close to Paradise in evolution, Simon would come in to work and we would listen to the rough mixes... You could feel something was gona happen with these guys..
the world is a small place.

#37 flipzoso

flipzoso

ZK

• Party Members
  • 7114 posts
  • Joined 24-October 06

Posted 20 August 2009 - 03:24 PM

Whaat! That is so rad that you worked with them! Would you still happen to have those demos/roughs of CTP? That would be killer to hear.

Do these guys not remind you of TMV in more than one sense? Patrick is always talking about Dr. Who and Twilight Zone and making music that plays out like films in your ears. I see a lot of parellels (err not to say just TMV but in that same vein of bands who are cross odd genres) its like…sci-fi-folk music. And their live show – how they butcher it (in a good way) and jam things out and its always different …like there are so many variations to play Luscious Life.

And they are very talented too yet I don’t think they can ever become too big, like many of our contemporary favorites.. They fall into that typical 21st century forward-thinking talented band category; where they will no doubt have a following but the nature of their music and evolving change will never lend them to HUGE porpotions (stadium), which in some ways is what I love about them. Except Montreal, hometown of course, that show at Jazz Fest was huge…but even that was an exception to the case.

That must have been a very interesting working with them…did you ever jam around with them too? When they rock another Canadian tour I may visit them in Montreal or you should come to Ottawa could meet up ;-)

Oh and check out this audio recording of night 1 of 2 of their shows here in Gatineau: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VIWFKIXY

#38 monkey in orbit

monkey in orbit

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Joined 05-September 07

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:47 PM

Patrick is the one of the 2 i know the least, we worked together just about a month.. as i understood he was just there for extra cash and was set on definately dedicating himself to music, they were already on gov grants for his project... We didnt talk alot about music.. My memory of him was that he was sortof a clown, u know type of people that like to joke around alot.. and yeah he definately has a taste for sci-fi..
He wasnt obvious as a musician.. i mean he wasnt the type of guy to go around talking about music and his band.. really down to earth, unlike many Montreal musicians..

Simon Angell i spent alot more time with for about 8-9 months, we used to go for brews after work and talk about different music, about his project with his girlfrend (who plays harp) or his traveling in Europe and to Morroco where he told me he lived a few months and play'd in cafe's... Another really cool guy and also grounded.. We ended up having lots in common and many of the same musical tastes and we made plans to jam but unfortunately never did..

No, sorry to say I dont have any demos or anything from the Close to Paradise sessions, all i have are my memories of hearing the stuff in progress and feeling if something was gonna happen with these guys it was with this album, i think they really had expectations from it too.. with the new record deal and all.. and it sounded so much superior to the first LP.

Last time i spoke to Simon he was about to play with DJ champion, i think it was for the FrancoFolies.. And i gave him a burned Mr. Bungle DVD. A few months later i left to live in Mexico for a while, i think the week before i left i just randomly saw a CTV broadcast of an interview they did on MTV, and was really happy for them..

Now I'm back in Montreal and all i know is a firend of mine we have in common told me Simon was living in Sweden or something..
I so wanted to go see them at the Jazz fest but was working that evening, and i was told i really missed out. This reminds me to look around for a recording of it..

Thanks alot for that link man i'll take a listen, im sure its pretty good, they seem to have become somewhat of a performance band.
yeah I'll definately have to see them next time they come around.. I dont think i would go to Ottawa though but let me know if you come around to see them here.

#39 boman

boman

Custom member title wave

• Members
  • 7116 posts
  • Joined 27-July 06

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:03 AM

fuck thats awesome

#40 flipzoso

flipzoso

ZK

• Party Members
  • 7114 posts
  • Joined 24-October 06

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:15 PM

Lowlands 09 performance: http://3voor12.vpro....8679/42384112/8

Drifter is back in the setlist!! (around 18min)

And on that recording linked above check out that new french song, so good. But seriously here is his best newest song, its gonna blow minds: on this date it was called 7 Feet Into Your Backyard http://www.sendspace.com/file/lttmfu

But then they played it at JazzFest show with Sala, she did a good job. THey called it 12 Feet there, but I liked PW and the band's earlier take better.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users