IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

ISIS the band

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10181 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 20 March 2020 - 06:07 PM

I freakin love isis the band. Does anybody here know them? They sound like if mastodon would cover a godspeed you black emperor album. It's superb

#2 temporal lob

temporal lob

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Joined 02-September 13

Posted 20 March 2020 - 10:00 PM

That's a good description of their sound.
I saw them open for Tool on the 10000 days tour. They put on a good show for sure.
I only have their first ep. I should check out some of their other stuff. What do you reccomend?

#3 The Nephilim

The Nephilim

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2159 posts
  • Joined 24-July 06

Posted 21 March 2020 - 03:50 AM

Love this band

Temporal, Celestial is a good place to start for their early raw sludge sound

I think Oceanic & Panopticon are generally considered their classic albums, combining more post-rock elements into the sludge formula. Both are awesome. 

In the Absence of Truth & Wavering Radiant are more experimental/progressive I think, with more fluid song structures and varied instrumentation. 

Would you say that's a decent summary Carl?

Wavering Radiant is my #1 for sure. I'm probably biased cause that was my intro to Isis but that's an all-timer for me. Very lush production, and lots of keys that add a great atmospheric layer their older stuff didn't have. It's got two amazing bonus tracks too.

I'd also highly recommend Sumac if you haven't heard them, it's Aaron Turner from Isis on guitar/vocals, Brian Cook from Russian Circles on bass, & Nick Yacyshyn on drums. It's like, avant-garde experimental mathy sludge metal. Absolutely rules. 

#4 kev821

kev821

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • Joined 25-October 04

Posted 23 March 2020 - 11:32 PM

Old man gloom uploaded one of their new albums https://m.youtube.co...h?v=eZHCc1w9mFg

#5 temporal lob

temporal lob

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Joined 02-September 13

Posted 24 March 2020 - 12:47 AM

I checked out Wavering Radiant last weekend.
I also liked the keys. Almost Deep Purple like at times lol. On to Oceanic and Panopticon.

#6 kev821

kev821

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • Joined 25-October 04

Posted 24 March 2020 - 01:37 PM

I checked out Wavering Radiant last weekend.
I also liked the keys. Almost Deep Purple like at times lol. On to Oceanic and Panopticon.

Adam Jones is featured on a couple tracks on it, guitar on hall of the dead and then keys on waivering radient.

#7 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 6012 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14
  • Interests:Friend of cats and foxes.

Posted 24 March 2020 - 01:42 PM

I love Isis. Especially Celestial and Oceanic, which I have on vinyl. I'm not too familiar with the other records though – not sure why.

Saw Sumac in London a few years ago (on the second LP tour), three phenomenal musicians in complete sync with each other. Mindblowing performance in a tiny, tiny venue. Turner looked like the wild man of the mountain.

#8 kev821

kev821

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • Joined 25-October 04

Posted 24 March 2020 - 02:10 PM

they did a one off benefit show when cave in/old man gloom's bassist past away. the whole show was lived streamed,

old man gloom, cave in, and pelican also played

#9 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • 10181 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 24 March 2020 - 03:04 PM

In the absence of truth is also amazing. All their albums are great actually, i find they have a very consistent sound. If you listen to their whole discography from beginning to end in one afternoon, you feel a slight movement from more sludgy, via post rock, to a bit morepsych/proggy (but mildly so). Like nephilim said basically :-)

Im sad i never got to see them live. Their live sound must have been epic. They're also ipecac btw, that label got a ton of good stuff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users