IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

De Facto, live

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#41 Andrewf

Andrewf

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4323 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 07 August 2019 - 08:53 AM

i think those 2001 versions were officially released on their website?

#42 A\/\/

A\/\/

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts
  • Joined 09-December 18

Posted 07 August 2019 - 08:35 PM

Last one from Mr. Newport for now as I don't want to bombard him with messages... though he has been pretty forthcoming so far.

Regarding the session with Blake:

"The session with Blake on drums would have been months before, definitely not weeks. They had to find another drummer and organize all the travel for myself and Jon for the Tremulant session. So I’m going to say early 2001 with Blake… February/March probably."

Well, they haven't returned to the US until the mid of March, but that still gives as a rough idea..

I asked if all three Tremulant tracks were recorded at the same time, because the credits say "recorded October / December", but they did not play Eunuch during the first tour.

"Yes, all 3 Tremulant tracks were done at the same time.. and there was another song that was recorded & mixed during that session, I believe “Inertiatic”, which was never released.. it got mixed and mastered with the other 3, but it just wasn’t really ready at that time so the Tremulant record became 3 songs.
If they didn’t play “Eunuch Provocateur” on that tour I’m not surprised.. I think it’s a very difficult song to play and they probably needed more time to rehearse."

Finally, I asked what he remembers about living with the band, because he told me earlier that he lived at Anikulapo whenever he went up to work with them.

"Ha, it was pretty low key. There was no shower. One morning I woke up to see Omar climbed up in the sink next to me doing a “bird bath”. That’s as close as it got to a shower. It was a cool spot, quite big, but really the opposite of salubrious. It was pretty run down, a bit dirty, but it certainly served the purpose at the time.

Long Beach wasn’t unsafe, but it wasn’t always that nice either.
One morning, Omar and I went out to his car to drive and get some coffee. After a few minutes he went to turn on the radio/tape player, and realized it was completely gone. In the place where it used to be was a business card. It said something like You Have Been Robbed by “Carlos”

The robber took out the stereo really professionally, he took the wires that used to connect to the stereo and tied them neatly and pushed them into the console so as not to leave a mess, and because it looked so neat, neither of us noticed for quite a while. And the audacity of him leaving his business card was just hilarious.

We would work throughout the day and afternoon and then relax in the evening. I remember watching “Amores Perros” with Cedric and Omar and we were all pretty much speechless after it finished. It’s a pretty shocking film. And I liked hanging out with the others too, Ikey, Eva, and Jeremy Ward were all so great to hang out with, and for Tremulant I got to be great friends with Jon Theodore. Blake was cool but he wasn’t around as much because I think he lived in NY at the time?"

---

Sorry the last posts had nothing to do with De Facto anymore.

#43 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10030 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 07 August 2019 - 08:41 PM

Absolutely love amores perros

#44 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 5836 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Interests:Ask me about prison.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:37 PM

Last one from Mr. Newport for now as I don't want to bombard him with messages... though he has been pretty forthcoming so far.

Regarding the session with Blake:

"The session with Blake on drums would have been months before, definitely not weeks. They had to find another drummer and organize all the travel for myself and Jon for the Tremulant session. So I’m going to say early 2001 with Blake… February/March probably."

Well, they haven't returned to the US until the mid of March, but that still gives as a rough idea..

I asked if all three Tremulant tracks were recorded at the same time, because the credits say "recorded October / December", but they did not play Eunuch during the first tour.

"Yes, all 3 Tremulant tracks were done at the same time.. and there was another song that was recorded & mixed during that session, I believe “Inertiatic”, which was never released.. it got mixed and mastered with the other 3, but it just wasn’t really ready at that time so the Tremulant record became 3 songs.
If they didn’t play “Eunuch Provocateur” on that tour I’m not surprised.. I think it’s a very difficult song to play and they probably needed more time to rehearse."

Finally, I asked what he remembers about living with the band, because he told me earlier that he lived at Anikulapo whenever he went up to work with them.

"Ha, it was pretty low key. There was no shower. One morning I woke up to see Omar climbed up in the sink next to me doing a “bird bath”. That’s as close as it got to a shower. It was a cool spot, quite big, but really the opposite of salubrious. It was pretty run down, a bit dirty, but it certainly served the purpose at the time.

Long Beach wasn’t unsafe, but it wasn’t always that nice either.
One morning, Omar and I went out to his car to drive and get some coffee. After a few minutes he went to turn on the radio/tape player, and realized it was completely gone. In the place where it used to be was a business card. It said something like You Have Been Robbed by “Carlos”

The robber took out the stereo really professionally, he took the wires that used to connect to the stereo and tied them neatly and pushed them into the console so as not to leave a mess, and because it looked so neat, neither of us noticed for quite a while. And the audacity of him leaving his business card was just hilarious.

We would work throughout the day and afternoon and then relax in the evening. I remember watching “Amores Perros” with Cedric and Omar and we were all pretty much speechless after it finished. It’s a pretty shocking film. And I liked hanging out with the others too, Ikey, Eva, and Jeremy Ward were all so great to hang out with, and for Tremulant I got to be great friends with Jon Theodore. Blake was cool but he wasn’t around as much because I think he lived in NY at the time?"

---

Sorry the last posts had nothing to do with De Facto anymore.

Inertiatic makes sense as that was the show opener at that time.  The song was in pretty rough form so I am not shocked it wasn't added to the EP.  Even the Summer Demo version is rough.  

Thanks a lot man.  

#45 vacuumo

vacuumo

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Joined 23-February 05

Posted 08 August 2019 - 03:03 AM

the era's relevant, and your information is great, so i don't mind at all! my thanks as well.

#46 Andrewf

Andrewf

Goliath

• Members
  • 4323 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 08 August 2019 - 07:59 AM

Now i wonder if they rerecorded cut that city like concertina and eunuch

#47 patsyinclined

patsyinclined

#StillNoAnswers

• Members
  • 9065 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11

Posted 08 August 2019 - 11:24 AM

Thanks AW (AVV?) Really fascinating stuff

#48 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 5836 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 08 August 2019 - 12:28 PM

Now i wonder if they rerecorded cut that city like concertina and eunuch

This has been nearly all but confirmed.  Mataxia probably remembers the details better than me on this one, but I think Cedric may have even acknowledged as much on a twitter, youtube, or insta post.

#49 A\/\/

A\/\/

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts
  • Joined 09-December 18

Posted 08 August 2019 - 01:15 PM

Still waiting for the old unmastered Concertina Mataxia claimed to still have.

Now the old GSL news item falsely claiming Concertina was "rerecorded" for the EP makes sense. It was communicated to be a demo at first, maybe only meant to be released online, then they changed their minds and put it on the EP, so the person responsible for the news thought it was properly rerecorded.

#50 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 5836 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 09 August 2019 - 03:04 AM

So I hope got this timeline right

- June 1999, Jeremy's house in Tuscon aka. Pagaanroma:

Coaxial, Madagascar, Agua Mineral, De Facto, 1024 1/2, Thick Vinyl Plate, Drop, Radio Rebelde

- December 1999, Pennylane studios, El Paso (w/ Gabe Gonzales)

El Professor Contra De Facto, Fingertrap, Coaxial, Simian Cobblestone, Rodche Defects

(January 17th - March 9th, AtDI records ROC)

- March 2000, Pennylane Studios, El Paso (w/ Gabe Gonzales)

Amkhz, 120E7 (Original) (Simian Cobblestone sounds A LOT like these two, could be from the same session)

- 2000, Anikulapo, Long Beach

Legend Of The Four-Tailed Scorpion, Mattilious Creed, Muerte Inoxia, Cordova, Exit Template, Manual Dexterity, Mitchel Edward Klik, Nux Vomica/Coaxialreturn (December

09-12?/2000 - Mario C session 

2/21/2001 - ATDI play their last show  go on "indefinite hiatus" days later

03/2001 - De Facto EU Tour 

03/2001 - The two track demo with Blake is recorded

03/2001 - AMD is recorded

03/2001 - Absence is recorded

03/19/2001 - 456132015 is released

05/2001 - ORL & JMW is recorded

07/2001 - De Facto shows

07/31/2001: Megaton Shotblast is released

08/2001 - Blake is fired 

08/31/01: The european "Defacto presents The Mars Volta" tour have been cancelled, it seems they have to stick around in California .  This makes sense as they would start recording Tremulant soon.  They also didn't have a drummer!

09/2001 - Tremulant is recorded

10/16/2001 - How do you Dub? is released

10/18/2001 - TMV begins their first tour 

11/19/2001 - Légende du Scorpion à Quatre Queues is released

11/23/2001 - TMV stops touring

12/2001 - Tremulant is finished (mixed mastered?)

late 2001-2002 - Minor Cuts and Scrapes is recorded

Summer 02 - "Summer Demo Sessions"

2002-2003 - The Mansion session AKA Deloused AKA DAMN I WANNA BE RICK RUBIN

2002-2003 - Ambuletz is recorded in a separate session from Deloused.

Look correct?

Edit: made some changes based on later posts

#51 olympusmons

olympusmons

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Joined 25-April 06

Posted 09 August 2019 - 04:02 AM

great work everyone...fascinating reading! thanks for the Alex Newport quotes AW.

#52 A.N.Other

A.N.Other

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3031 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09

Posted 09 August 2019 - 08:33 AM

03/2001 - Blake is fired

Pretty sure Blake quit around August or so.

http://forum.thecoma...showtopic=65141
"In march I got a call from Omar and he said that he and Cedric were quitting At the Drive In, and they wanted to start a new band with me and asked if I would be into it. I said, 'Of course, what the fuck. You guys sold a million records. Of course I'll give it a shot.' They had an integrity that I looked up to even though they were in this whole major label world. I thought that we would get along really well musically. So last year for five months I was living in Los Angeles. I'd started this brand new band with those guys. We got it off the ground, recorded a single, it was going to be on the Grand Royal imprint with Virgin putting it out. I thought, 'Wow! my dreams have come true. All of a sudden I don't have to work anymore. I can make money playing drums. I got cymbals coming to me. They want to make a drum set for me. ' And it all fell apart five or six and half months later."

#53 A\/\/

A\/\/

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts
  • Joined 09-December 18

Posted 09 August 2019 - 10:04 AM

We have no confirmation that the Mario C session was in December (and January). It‘s only our best guess, as it was announced right when ATDI started touring again in January. I was looking for time off they had and noticed two weeks in September of 2000, which was when Laddio Bolocko played two shows with Trans Am at Spaceland on Sep 15th and 16th, both attended by Omar and Cedric and with the Laddio guys staying at their space. That‘s how they met Blake and maybe when the idea of doing something similar first arose.

The March 2001 De Facto tour happened right after the ATDI tour, they did not go to the US in between. Omar called Blake from this tour.

They started working together some time after March 15th, 2001 (Blake says ~ 2/3 weeks after they came back and annouced the end of ATDI). I would say first demo and AMD a few days later must have happened somewhere around April or later. It‘s all still „months before“ Tremulant.

Blake always said he was in the band for about half a year. So roughly the end of March until the end of August. I believe they cancelled the „De Facto presents The Mars Volta“ tour when he was fired. He also wasn‘t working with the band all the time as he went back to New York between rehearsals.

Blake talks about all this here starting at around 42 minutes.

De Facto played a few shows in July.

Jon came to LA on September 10th and they recorded Tremulant (originally a 4 song demo) before the first tour (early October). We know this because Concertina was already done by December and Alex said they were all recorded at the same time. So it was only mixed and mastered in December.

Cedric on "Ambuletz":

"Ambuletz was done at night after everything was done with deloused. the album laughing stock by talk talk,the pretty things SF sorrow,fando y lis, and pitch black incantations in a house frequented as a seance to summon the ghost of whoduni next to the old zappa house in laurel canyon ....is what was going when we did ambuletz"

The credits say it was recorded at Anikulapo, Long Beach.

#54 A\/\/

A\/\/

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts
  • Joined 09-December 18

Posted 09 August 2019 - 11:17 AM

Btw, here's both the unmastered Tremulant Concertina and the unmastered post-Tremulant Concertina.

The only differences I hear is the loudness, the bassdrum and Omar & Ikey being on opposite sides of the stereo spectrum.

#55 Andrewf

Andrewf

Goliath

• Members
  • 4323 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 09 August 2019 - 11:39 AM

Post tremulant concertina was always unmastered though?

#56 A\/\/

A\/\/

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts
  • Joined 09-December 18

Posted 09 August 2019 - 11:42 AM

Yes but the version that is mostly circulating now was mastered by fans.

#57 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 5836 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 09 August 2019 - 12:34 PM

Made changes based on the corrections.  

When do we venture A plague upon your hissing was recorded....

#58 A\/\/

A\/\/

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts
  • Joined 09-December 18

Posted 09 August 2019 - 01:06 PM

I'm still not satisfied...

09-12?/2000 - Mario C session

Now that I found the official announcement I linked in my earlier post, I believe the initial Mario C session was in Dec/January 2000/01. It's possible they did not continue after they came back because of TMV.

2/21/2001 - ATDI play their last show go on "indefinite hiatus" days later

03/2001 - De Facto EU Tour

03/2001 - The two track demo with Blake is recorded

03/2001 - AMD is recorded

03/2001 - Absence is recorded

03/19/2001 - 456132015 is released

They were touring in Europe until March 15th 2001. It's impossible they recruited Blake, rehearsed, wrote and recorded the first single, AMD and Absence within 2 weeks of them returning from that tour. I'd say all that happened at least from April onwards.

09/2001 - Tremulant is recorded

probably not recorded in September. They needed some time to write and rehearse the material with Jon. The booklet says October / December 2001. It's safe to assume the actual recording session happened in October before they left for the first tour.

Summer 02 - "Summer Demo Sessions"

2002-2003 - The Mansion session AKA Deloused AKA DAMN I WANNA BE RICK RUBIN

2002-2003 - Ambuletz is recorded in a separate session from Deloused.

DITC sessions started right after the string of shows in the beginning of October 2002 after "two months of pre-production" (Summer Demos?). I believe they were done by January 2003 when they started doing those low key performances with De Facto / just Omar & Jon in California before leaving for their EU tour in March. Also, it already leaked on Feb 1st. So Ambuletz was probably January 2003.

#59 Andrewf

Andrewf

Goliath

• Members
  • 4323 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 09 August 2019 - 04:04 PM

I also think that old website mentions that they started record the debut album with Ralph. Maybe new concertina and eunuch have ralph and not flea?

#60 Ghost Of Shark Horse

Ghost Of Shark Horse

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1542 posts
  • Joined 15-June 15

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:54 PM

Thank you for your efforts, AW. Really enjoyed reading your findings - great job mate!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users