IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Kayo Dothttp://kayodot.bandcamp.com/

• Please log in to reply
1535 replies to this topic

#1521 Unt1tled

Unt1tled

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Joined 16-June 08

Posted 05 July 2019 - 12:32 PM

+1 here

#1522 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3754 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 05 July 2019 - 01:57 PM

fwiw that clip tells you absolutely nothing about the album so idk if anyone is supposed to feel anything

#1523 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13820 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 07 July 2019 - 02:08 AM

Btw: are you a Toby Driver bandcamp subscriber?

Nope, is that a bandcamp newsletter or some kind of release subscription?

#1524 pehjott

pehjott

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Joined 24-March 05

Posted 07 July 2019 - 03:48 PM

Btw: are you a Toby Driver bandcamp subscriber?

Nope, is that a bandcamp newsletter or some kind of release subscription?

Release subscription.

There is live stuff,unreleased motw demos,demos of projects that never came to an actual start..

#1525 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 13820 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 09 July 2019 - 04:46 AM

I just read the special edition of the new album comes with a bonus collaboration album... am I correct?

#1526 pehjott

pehjott

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Joined 24-March 05

Posted 09 July 2019 - 06:50 PM

It is a remix album made by a friend of Toby,could be interesting as Toby would not approve s.th. uninteresting I guess

#1527 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 13820 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 27 July 2019 - 06:03 AM

#1528 greatbigyes

greatbigyes

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 05-September 18

Posted 17 August 2019 - 11:32 AM

Do some of Driver's vocals here remind anyone of electronic-era Omar?

this

#1529 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 13820 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 20 August 2019 - 02:35 AM

This is an incredible find. One of our first concerts ever played, from back in 2003!! If we do well this year, I’d be stoked to have a bigger lineup again. :)

https://twitter.com/...8460916737?s=21

#1530 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 13820 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 23 August 2019 - 12:29 AM

Bwa ha ha! Here’s the brand new video for our next Kayo Dot single, “Turbine, Hook, and Haul,” an ominous, piano-driven dirge foreshadowing the well-deserved fate of the guilty. Atop crashing ocean waves, a choir of ghosts. In the sky a lone horn sounds the heavenly wail of the Angel of Blasphemy. "The whole world is a mushroom cloud."

#1531 Unt1tled

Unt1tled

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Joined 16-June 08

Posted 23 August 2019 - 01:56 PM

This video is a blatant nerd-out, an animation inspired by a few classic video games, particularly Final Fantasy 2 (SNES, 1988, a.k.a. Final Fantasy 4). In the recent past when I’ve been asked to reflect on Kayo Dot’s oeuvre, I’ve found a very apt analogy in Final Fantasy overworld maps, with each of our records being able to be thought of as different lands (Coffins on Io as the moon, Hubardo as the town of Ornac, Coyote as the underworld, etc). Because of Blasphemy’s lyrical content and themes, and that I’ve always been interested in playing with animation, I thought this would be the perfect opportunity for such a video. And I was deliberately avoiding writing much music this year while I waited for the album to drop, so I had some time to try my hand at making some visual art. Mainly I did this to tickle myself. In this part of the story, our characters have finally reached their X-marked spot and haul their terrible treasure up from the depths of the sea.

#1532 Unt1tled

Unt1tled

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Joined 16-June 08

Posted 08 September 2019 - 08:31 PM

So, this is out

#1533 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 13820 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 09 September 2019 - 10:12 AM

First impressions are good, nothing groundbreaking though

#1534 pehjott

pehjott

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Joined 24-March 05

Posted 09 September 2019 - 12:02 PM

I miss Keith Abrams...

#1535 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 13820 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 09 September 2019 - 08:17 PM

Having completed this album a year ago, along with a label change, a lineup change, and even a change in my city of residence, the past 12 months leading up to this release have been absolutely grueling in so many ways. I want you to know that a lot of these painful changes in my life have come as a direct result of me throwing every last bit of myself into this record. I fully exhausted my spirit with this one. To make this record happen, I had to relinquish many things that were important to me, things material and immaterial that I'd thought of as crucial. I needed to grow into another stage of existence, and that was terrifying and pummeling. Why do this? I have never known beyond compulsion.

I've been existing in a limbo state for the past year, feeling my future being pulled fearfully closer as a duality. Almost like Donnie Darko– you feel something coming and everything around you collapses at a faster rate as you approach. The bridge crumbles behind you as you run. I've felt that the past year was the longest year, and have felt that yesterday may have been my last good day. Blasphemy didn't seize power from me; I granted it fully to Her. She leads me, as the new timeline begins today at this moment.

I'm so proud of my collaborators Jason Byron, Ron Varod, Phillip Price, Leonardo Didkovsky, Randall Dunn, Jenya Chernoff, Matthew Serra, Casey Mathewson, and our team at Prophecy Productions for making this thing come to life and allowing me to push them into perhaps unfamiliar territory. I couldn't be more happy with the way the music and the packaging turned out, and if you have a chance to get the full experience with the lyrics, images, novel, and remix album, I highly encourage you to do so because that's all a major part of the release.

I want people to question why they're hearing what they are, why a decision was made, how things are constructed beyond the perfunctory. Creating music is always a perfect opportunity to express yourself, to be Extra AF when you might not be able to do so in your day-to-day life. I most greatly admire musicians who go to extremities in their work, whatever those may be. Musicians who will do the thing that the other people won't do. I try to do my best to live up to the example set by those I admire.

I'm thrilled, anxious, and proud to finally present this album to the world: Kayo Dot's BLASPHEMY.

“A Masterpiece.” –Radical Research
9/10 –Metal Injection
9.5/10 –Ave Noctum
9.3/10 –Metal Trenches
8/10 –Metal Italia
R! Choice Pick –Rocking.gr
Pick of the Week –MeatMeadMetal
“Uncompromising in its vision and its execution.” –HeavyBlog
“Blasphemy is Kayo Dot at their most comfortable. It is effortless and hangs delicately in the sky, but carries the weight of Kayo Dot’s creativity with it.” –Invisible Oranges
#NowPlaying

#1536 temporal lob

temporal lob

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Joined 02-September 13

Posted 12 September 2019 - 04:00 PM

Got a chance to listen to the new album last night. Toby is more intense vocally than the last two. I like it, but need to hear it a few more times.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users