IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

The Mars Volta will play again2015

• Please log in to reply
10652 replies to this topic

#10641 Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • Joined 27-April 09

Posted 18 August 2022 - 07:39 AM

If they do play some older tracks, I'd love to see reworked version of short songs (cause I don't think they're gonna go for the longer ones) such as Concertina, Vermicide, Teflon or Halo.

Just please drop the widow and inertiatic. Those were not fun to listen too on the last tour.

#10642 Alderetism

Alderetism

Custom Rank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8111 posts
  • Joined 04-September 09
  • Interests:Peace, love and bass.

Posted 18 August 2022 - 07:45 AM

You're nowhere.

#10643 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 7241 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14
  • Interests:Friend of cats and foxes.

Posted 18 August 2022 - 10:55 AM

I keep feeling like I might wake up properly and into the quantum reality where a Mars Volta reunion is exactly that and not a new band making pop songs, the cover art isn't ass, and they haven't disowned 90% of their discography. I'm not going to enjoy this project as much as other music out there, as much as I should be enjoying a Mars Volta record for god's sake, or that it'll do justice to their legacy. I like the songs, especially Vigil but the vocals on all three are too front and centre, and the instruments (particularly guitars) are too fucking quiet / basic. Generally though if I wanted to listen to relatively mature intricately composed pop songs, I'll listen to Taylor Swift fuck you very much. I cancelled my album pre order. At least I'm making Omar happy.

#10644 Alderetism

Alderetism

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 8111 posts
  • Joined 04-September 09
  • Interests:Peace, love and bass.

Posted 18 August 2022 - 12:26 PM

Questlove.

I'm your father.

#10645 sa007ak

sa007ak

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 169 posts
  • Joined 10-January 16

Posted 18 August 2022 - 03:58 PM

If they do play some older tracks, I'd love to see reworked version of short songs (cause I don't think they're gonna go for the longer ones) such as Concertina, Vermicide, Teflon or Halo.

Just please drop the widow and inertiatic. Those were not fun to listen too on the last tour.

If we got Vermicide or Teflon on this tour, which is very unlikely, the musk of my pants would be fecal in origin for the remainder of the show. 

I'm not going to enjoy this project as much as other music out there, as much as I should be enjoying a Mars Volta record for god's sake, or that it'll do justice to their legacy. I like the songs, especially Vigil but the vocals on all three are too front and centre, and the instruments (particularly guitars) are too fucking quiet / basic. Generally though if I wanted to listen to relatively mature intricately composed pop songs, I'll listen to Taylor Swift fuck you very much. I cancelled my album pre order. At least I'm making Omar happy.

I mean, are we really entitled to a certain type of material simply because the previous output of the band sounded a certain way?

I'm bummed about cancelled pre-orders, but at the same time I decided to pass it up in favor of grabbing some of the other older vinyl Clouds Hill pressed. If I really enjoy the new record I'll grab it at a later date. 

#10646 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 7241 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14
  • Interests:Friend of cats and foxes.

Posted 18 August 2022 - 04:15 PM

No, we're not entitled to anything at all, equally they're not entitled to my pre order cash. If I like it, sure I'll buy the retail version from my local store but say Faith No More reformed and sounded, idk, like Oasis or Britney or Hall & Oates or whatever, there'd be questions. I never wanted them to ape their previous sound, that way lies inter alia, ugh. Look, they haven't played live yet and I haven't heard the record, this is all speculation and presumption, they might open with a 35 minute Cygnus before jamming Blacklight Shine out for 15 minutes, it might all work and not seem totally incongruous, there may not be frustrated fans pleading for Roulette Dares between every song, it might all be groovy and cool, I don't know, I'm trying to have an open mind (in that I will listen to the album and see their concerts if they come here) but my open mind has thoughts too. No offence Omar.

#10647 iMa(n)go

iMa(n)go

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Joined 02-February 12

Posted 18 August 2022 - 05:35 PM

I feel like the most Mars Volta thing they could do while touring for a Pop album would be to shatter expectations and open with something long and wild like Eunuch (since Eva is back). I could imagine them blending primarily new songs with some deep cuts that we wouldn’t expect. Even if they choose to play past singles it would be a fresh new version and would be interesting to hear updates on songs like L’via, Ilyena, Since we been wrong, Vermicide or even Televators. Hoping they bring back Trinkets, I could picture them doing a shorter version of it like how the album one is.

#10648 Palo Alto

Palo Alto

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Joined 24-November 07

Posted 18 August 2022 - 06:32 PM

I reckon new set will just be new songs with something old at end and will be short and people will be mad/disappointed.

#10649 bronxblanco1

bronxblanco1

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Joined 06-May 12

Posted 18 August 2022 - 06:40 PM

I feel like the most Mars Volta thing they could do while touring for a Pop album would be to shatter expectations and open with something long and wild like Eunuch (since Eva is back). I could imagine them blending primarily new songs with some deep cuts that we wouldn’t expect. Even if they choose to play past singles it would be a fresh new version and would be interesting to hear updates on songs like L’via, Ilyena, Since we been wrong, Vermicide or even Televators. Hoping they bring back Trinkets, I could picture them doing a shorter version of it like how the album one is.

A poppier carribean styled llyena or l'via would be interesting to hear

#10650 sa007ak

sa007ak

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 169 posts
  • Joined 10-January 16

Posted 18 August 2022 - 07:14 PM

A poppier carribean styled llyena or l'via would be interesting to hear

I'd be interested in hearing Ilyena with a brand new skin...

#10651 kev821

kev821

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • Joined 25-October 04

Posted 18 August 2022 - 08:11 PM

If we got Vermicide or Teflon on this tour, which is very unlikely, the musk of my pants would be fecal in origin for the remainder of the show.

I'm not going to enjoy this project as much as other music out there, as much as I should be enjoying a Mars Volta record for god's sake, or that it'll do justice to their legacy. I like the songs, especially Vigil but the vocals on all three are too front and centre, and the instruments (particularly guitars) are too fucking quiet / basic. Generally though if I wanted to listen to relatively mature intricately composed pop songs, I'll listen to Taylor Swift fuck you very much. I cancelled my album pre order. At least I'm making Omar happy.

I mean, are we really entitled to a certain type of material simply because the previous output of the band sounded a certain way?

I'm bummed about cancelled pre-orders, but at the same time I decided to pass it up in favor of grabbing some of the other older vinyl Clouds Hill pressed. If I really enjoy the new record I'll grab it at a later date.

Yeah I ended up canceling too just thought 50 bucks is too much for something I’m kinda of going to like, so I’m good listening to the digital. Omar is gonna have his happiest year yet.

#10652 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • 7154 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted Yesterday, 07:36 PM

In TMV's new instagram post you can see some lyrics for Flash Burns from Flashbacks and Palm Full of Crux

#10653 G.O.Dayz

G.O.Dayz

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts
  • Joined 24-September 20

Posted Yesterday, 08:53 PM

I couldn't make out what song it was but a lyric I saw in that promo I liked was "the burning film in your projector, ulcerous amnesia."

13 user(s) are reading this topic

5 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users

Wondercall, Remembrance, sa007ak, patsyinclined, goliathsoctahedron