IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

>>>>Mike Patton<<<<best band/project?

• Please log in to reply
385 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite/best Mike Patton stuff? (173 member(s) have cast votes)

Patton Projects

1. Mike Patton (solo) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Faith No More (22 votes [12.72%])

Percentage of vote: 12.72%

3. Tomahawk (9 votes [5.20%])

Percentage of vote: 5.20%

4. Fant├┤mas (25 votes [14.45%])

Percentage of vote: 14.45%

5. Peeping Tom (3 votes [1.73%])

Percentage of vote: 1.73%

6. Mr. Bungle (77 votes [44.51%])

Percentage of vote: 44.51%

7. John Zorn (7 votes [4.05%])

Percentage of vote: 4.05%

8. Lovage (5 votes [2.89%])

Percentage of vote: 2.89%

9. Kaada/Patton (4 votes [2.31%])

Percentage of vote: 2.31%

10. Patton and The X-Ecutioners (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

11. Patton and Merzbow (1 votes [0.58%])

Percentage of vote: 0.58%

12. The Dillinger Escape Plan with Mike Patton (20 votes [11.56%])

Percentage of vote: 11.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 happyphantom

happyphantom

techno allah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9167 posts
  • Joined 02-December 05

Posted 06 January 2007 - 10:02 AM

what's that supposed to be?

typing out mr bungle music is hard.

5 Minutes, 30 seconds into "Carry stress in the Jaw"

got it!

i only have the director's cut by fantomas, but which is the best one of the rest to get?

i'm quite interested in this italian thing. mike definitely scores points for being fluent in italian, it's better than something like russian or german anyway.

am i the only one who really quite enjoys the peeping tom album? i mean ok it's not earth shattering and there are some weak tracks but i dunno, i just enjoy listening to it. it's fun. maybe not the BEST thing he's done, well definitely not, but i like it. it's grown on me.

#42 Guest_tohereknowswhen._*

Guest_tohereknowswhen._*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 06 January 2007 - 10:44 AM

Yeah, thats the thing. It's good, just not great. And some of the tracks are pretty forgettable, I skip Your Nieghbourhood Spaceman or whatever everytime. A few others too.

Delirium Cordia is good Fantomas if you're alright with it all being on one long track, or there's the self-titled which is split into millions of little tracks. Both good and utterly bizarre, more in the vein of Disco Volante.

#43 happyphantom

happyphantom

techno allah

• Members
  • 9167 posts
  • Joined 02-December 05

Posted 06 January 2007 - 11:59 AM

fair enough i suppose. but i don't know i still think it's a pretty good album, just when you compare it to other stuff that it might seem a bit weak. but basically for me it was like this:

Tuesday 21st November:

my friend: hey guess what mike patton is coming to liverpool on saturday!
me: really? no way!
<a bit more chatter>
my friend: so seeing as i want to see rahzel and you want to see mike patton shall we go?
me: ok

*listens to the album 10 times*
*goes to gig*
*listens to the album 100 times*

ie i had no expectations. actually if anything i was expecting to be disappointed. although i do usually skip neighborhood spaceman too, and sucker. sorry norah but the swearing just don't cut it.

but i voted bungle anyway.

#44 tsp_gatmog

tsp_gatmog

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Joined 19-June 05

Posted 06 January 2007 - 02:44 PM

the bungle
fantomas, zorn, and faith no more are next

#45 happyphantom

happyphantom

techno allah

• Members
  • 9167 posts
  • Joined 02-December 05

Posted 24 January 2007 - 10:25 AM

ok everyone's sick of talking about mike patton blah blah blah, but i was wondering today: does anyone know roughly how much money this guy has/earns?

i mean, i get the impression he's pretty loaded and that's probably mostly from faith no more, because most of his other projects probably don't make all that much on their own (although cumulatively that might be different)...i really can't imagine how much he earns. it's not hugely important, i was just wondering really.

#46 paradigm shift

paradigm shift

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts
  • Joined 14-March 05

Posted 24 January 2007 - 10:48 AM

Has anyone heard the album Astronome? I'ts a composition by John Zorn, featuring Patton, Joey Baron and Trevor Dunn. It's basically a mix of metal, abstact hardcore and avant-garde, and one of the best things Zorn has done in the more extreme corners of music. I never really liked Naked city or painkiller, and was always more attracted to the exploration of melody and beauty in his masada projects, but this cd is absolutely amazing! Not to mention the great packaging:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#47 happyphantom

happyphantom

techno allah

• Members
  • 9167 posts
  • Joined 02-December 05

Posted 24 January 2007 - 10:55 AM

god damn i thought mike patton's accountant had posted then.

i haven't heard that though, i'll check it out.

#48 Guest_tohereknowswhen._*

Guest_tohereknowswhen._*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 24 January 2007 - 03:19 PM

Has anyone heard the album Astronome? I'ts a composition by John Zorn, featuring Patton, Joey Baron and Trevor Dunn. It's basically a mix of metal, abstact hardcore and avant-garde, and one of the best things Zorn has done in the more extreme corners of music. I never really liked Naked city or painkiller, and was always more attracted to the exploration of melody and beauty in his masada projects, but this cd is absolutely amazing! Not to mention the great packaging:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

OMFG sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. Buying this RIGHT NOW.

#49 Sonic Tooth

Sonic Tooth

Lenin lol

• Members
  • 10906 posts
  • Joined 28-March 06

Posted 30 January 2007 - 02:30 AM

i posted it on the womba if it still works. it's really good.

#50 happyphantom

happyphantom

techno allah

• Members
  • 9167 posts
  • Joined 02-December 05

Posted 30 January 2007 - 12:37 PM

i posted it on the womba if it still works. it's really good.

why thank ye kind sir. it does appear to be working still as well, although my internet is being a bitch at the moment so it'll probably take me about a week to download

i feel kind of bad for not buying it though, especially as the packaging looks so...special. i will eventually.

#51 Brandon B.

Brandon B.

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 170 posts
  • Joined 10-December 04
  • Interests:blahplayingbassandlisteningtomusicmasturbating
  • Myspace

Posted 30 January 2007 - 12:47 PM

I can't even tell what that casing is...a box?

But anyways, Mike Patton is a fucking beast and my favorite singer. It's a toss up between Bungle and Faith No More. It goes....

FNM = Bungle > Fantomas > TDEP- Irony Is A Dead Scene > Tomahawk > Peeping Tom > Lovage > General Patton vs. The X-Ecutioners > Kaada and Patton > his solo cds

I hope the next Peeping Tom album will be better than the first. I like the first, but it doesn't have a lot of replay value. New Tomahawk and Fantomas this year, too. I hope Patton writes some better lyrics...he's been slacking in that area.

#52 happyphantom

happyphantom

techno allah

• Members
  • 9167 posts
  • Joined 02-December 05

Posted 30 January 2007 - 03:23 PM

yeah the lyrics are shit.

managed to get astronome downloaded by the way, i'll give it a listen later (listened to the first 5 minutes or so but it was drowned out by roadworks outside - they're THAT loud, and then i had to go do some work). thanks tooth

#53 Guest_quizzer_*

Guest_quizzer_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 30 January 2007 - 03:29 PM

faith no more is absolutely wonderful

then mr bungle and peeping tom

#54 paradigm shift

paradigm shift

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts
  • Joined 14-March 05

Posted 30 January 2007 - 03:56 PM

But anyways, Mike Patton is a fucking beast and my favorite singer. It's a toss up between Bungle and Faith No More. It goes....

FNM = Bungle > Fantomas > TDEP- Irony Is A Dead Scene > Tomahawk > Peeping Tom > Lovage > General Patton vs. The X-Ecutioners > Kaada and Patton > his solo cds

I hope the next Peeping Tom album will be better than the first. I like the first, but it doesn't have a lot of replay value. New Tomahawk and Fantomas this year, too. I hope Patton writes some better lyrics...he's been slacking in that area.

Yup. it's a shiny cardboard box. There is still more comming from this project this year: six litanies for Heliogabalus. On that record Patton, Dunn and Baron are joined by Ikue Mori on electronics, Jamie Saft on organ and a female choir. Looking forward to that one!

#55 Sonic Tooth

Sonic Tooth

Lenin lol

• Members
  • 10906 posts
  • Joined 28-March 06

Posted 30 January 2007 - 06:36 PM

Yup. it's a shiny cardboard box. There is still more comming from this project this year: six litanies for Heliogabalus. On that record Patton, Dunn and Baron are joined by Ikue Mori on electronics, Jamie Saft on organ and a female choir. Looking forward to that one!

those are some really solid additions. that sounds awesome.

#56 Guest_tohereknowswhen._*

Guest_tohereknowswhen._*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:09 PM

Wooooooah, Astronome rules. If you like the sound of Mike Patton vomiting that is, and apparently I do.

Woop.

#57 Brandon B.

Brandon B.

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 170 posts
  • Joined 10-December 04
  • Interests:blahplayingbassandlisteningtomusicmasturbating
  • Myspace

Posted 31 January 2007 - 01:07 AM

If I could listen to anyone vomit, it would be Mike Patton, no doubt. He makes it entertaining.

#58 happyphantom

happyphantom

techno allah

• Members
  • 9167 posts
  • Joined 02-December 05

Posted 31 January 2007 - 01:34 AM

Wooooooah, Astronome rules. If you like the sound of Mike Patton vomiting that is, and apparently I do.

Woop.

i personally prefer the coughing and spitting ;)

i wish i was a guy so i could make noises like that, and get PAID for it. i'd make myself vomit for that.

anyway i'm listening to 'act one' now and i have to admit i was a little skeptical at first (i'm a complete stranger to john zorn, so if anyone wants to make any other recommendations with or without patton involved then i'm ALL EARS) but yeah i'm really enjoying it.

but a cardboard box cannot compete with the peeping tom packaging, sorry.

#59 Sonic Tooth

Sonic Tooth

Lenin lol

• Members
  • 10906 posts
  • Joined 28-March 06

Posted 31 January 2007 - 02:04 AM

Woop.

i wish i was a guy so i could make noises like that, and get PAID for it. i'd make myself vomit for that.

anyway i'm listening to 'act one' now and i have to admit i was a little skeptical at first (i'm a complete stranger to john zorn, so if anyone wants to make any other recommendations with or without patton involved then i'm ALL EARS) but yeah i'm really enjoying it.

i have an intro to zorn set on the womba as well.

#60 paradigm shift

paradigm shift

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts
  • Joined 14-March 05

Posted 31 January 2007 - 12:28 PM

Woop.

Well, the main problem with Zorn is that the man has done so incredibily much, in a great variety of genres. So the main thing is: what kind of music has your interest? If it's extreme stuff like Astronome your after, you should check out Naked city and Painkiller. The first is a mix of punk, death metal, freejazz and all kinds of popular music. Extremely postmodern: chaotic and humoristic. Painkiller is like a more intense, humorless verion of it.
But Zorn has also done a lot of music with a lot more focus on melody. First, there is Filmworks, a series of cinematic tune by Zorn. He has written some classical pieces as well, wich fall mainly in the 20'th century modern composing tradition. Think Varese, Boulez, Sch÷nberg.
The Zorn project I enjoy the most is Masada, Zorn's exploration of his Jewish roots. Initially it started as a quartet playing bebop/freejazz based upon Klezmer melodies (now known as accoustic Masada). Later Zorn has expanded the Masada family with a string trio (playing the tunes in a chamber music tradition), a rock band (electric Masda, check out there album At the mountains of Madness! great stuff, like a jewish version of Bitches Brew on speed) and lately he has written a second Masada songbook, called Book of Angels, wich are played by a different ensemble on each album.
And this is just a small take out of the man's oeuvre. So you will just have to explore for yourself. You'll love some stuff, hate other stuff. This website is a handy guide in the realm of Zorn. Enjoy!

by the way, what is Womba?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users