IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Tom Morello

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_forensic_*

Guest_forensic_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 05 September 2003 - 01:39 AM

In my opinion the guy isn't half of what he used to be. He lost his style and overall funk after RATM broke up, and I also think Audioslave should of never happened. What are your opinions?

#2 andrealb

andrealb

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1009 posts
  • Joined 04-August 03
  • Interests:i've been to about 80 live shows, you could say i am a concert junkie. i like to travel (goes along with the concert deal), snowboard, read, draw, paint, spend time with friends and family, and watch my fish. i am going to school to get my b.f.a. in ceramics and i work more than i should.

Posted 05 September 2003 - 02:07 AM

audioslave = no good in my opinion. chris cornell sings like a cat with his tail caught under the rocking chair. and the lyrical content of their songs doesn't impress me either, is he responsible for that too? i never liked soundgarden either for the same basic reason. tom morello is lovely. i actually paid $50 to see audioslave this past spring with the hope that it would change my opinion, seeing them live. no such luck. i actually wanted to leave before the show was finished. i took a spot in front of morello at that concert and that was the only thing that kept me there. tim commerford and brad wilk were good too, but cornell just made me want to run away. it was a good try at the whole "supergroup" thing but i didn't care for the end product. rage was the shit and maybe if you really liked them it was hard to see that band as a group with a different frontman. cornells voice and their music don't mix well.

#3 Willett

Willett

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • Joined 14-July 03

Posted 05 September 2003 - 02:28 AM

dude the guy hides behind effects.
his solos are just horrible.
the one in "like a stone" is fucking garbage.
and the "show me how to live" IS JUST ONE FUCKING STRING!.
he isnt that great of a guitarist.
all his riffs sound the same.

#4 Guest_forensic_*

Guest_forensic_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 05 September 2003 - 02:31 AM

dude the guy hides behind effects.
his solos are just horrible.
the one in "like a stone" is fucking garbage.
and the "show me how to live" IS JUST ONE FUCKING STRING!.
he isnt that great of a guitarist.
all his riffs sound the same.

haha me and my friend always joke about that. The part in the video when his fist is in the air and he is strumming open notes. What a rebel.

#5 Lost In The Air

Lost In The Air

Lost in the Nair

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5873 posts
  • Joined 30-June 03
  • Interests:Artsy fartsy stuff, cryptozoology, montauk project, the silent hill series, experimental science, jamming in free jazz pick up bands, wearing funny hats, moogs, trying to con the manager at pizza hut into giving me their Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in Time arcade machine, surrealism, the avant garde in general, painting, turning that one cheapo delay pedal I have to max repeats then strike a single chord and watch the walls melt, trying to find out where the hole under my house goes, getting really drunk and arm wrestling at the shifty bar outside of work, most likely embarrasing myself in the process, crossbreeding vegetables, keeping the phone off the hook, collecting toasters and microwaves, talking to my burt reynolds like neighbor, hiding behind the waterfall in the summer only to jump out scaring the kids as they try to trespass on old man belinski's land so they can swim in that sweet sweet spot, talking about finishing my mural on the local High School's chemistry lab, never actually working on it though, jumping to conclusions, winning under suspicious circumstances, faking my death, listening to Bill Cosby records

Posted 05 September 2003 - 02:32 AM

Yeah, cause it's a rule that a solo has to use at least 4 strings. Fuck them if they don't. Omar hides behind pedals just as much as Tom does.

#6 Willett

Willett

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • Joined 14-July 03

Posted 05 September 2003 - 02:36 AM

hey but omar actually plays music behind it.

#7 Lost In The Air

Lost In The Air

Lost in the Nair

• Members
  • 5873 posts
  • Joined 30-June 03
  • Interests:Artsy fartsy stuff, cryptozoology, montauk project, the silent hill series, experimental science, jamming in free jazz pick up bands, wearing funny hats, moogs, trying to con the manager at pizza hut into giving me their Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in Time arcade machine, surrealism, the avant garde in general, painting, turning that one cheapo delay pedal I have to max repeats then strike a single chord and watch the walls melt, trying to find out where the hole under my house goes, getting really drunk and arm wrestling at the shifty bar outside of work, most likely embarrasing myself in the process, crossbreeding vegetables, keeping the phone off the hook, collecting toasters and microwaves, talking to my burt reynolds like neighbor, hiding behind the waterfall in the summer only to jump out scaring the kids as they try to trespass on old man belinski's land so they can swim in that sweet sweet spot, talking about finishing my mural on the local High School's chemistry lab, never actually working on it though, jumping to conclusions, winning under suspicious circumstances, faking my death, listening to Bill Cosby records

Posted 05 September 2003 - 02:39 AM

And Tom doesn't? Just because you don't like the band doesn't mean they "don't play music".

#8 Willett

Willett

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • Joined 14-July 03

Posted 05 September 2003 - 02:43 AM

he plays music but its all the same riff, or some solo that sounds like shit.

#9 ledzeppelin

ledzeppelin

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1361 posts
  • Joined 14-July 03
  • Interests:i still love seyran.

Posted 05 September 2003 - 02:44 AM

I think he's cool. There ain't nothing wrong with him, or Audioslave, they just play their songs too much on the radio, and it wouldn't be a bad thing if it wasn't ever like 25 minutes. But, he's good.

#10 Squirrels_Like_Salsa

Squirrels_Like_Salsa

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Joined 22-July 03

Posted 05 September 2003 - 03:49 AM

ahh, i like tom morello's style. i went to lollapalooza 3 weeks ago. audioslave....i didn't like the material. in fact i thought it was horrible. but i still like tom morello.

#11 FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Joined 01-July 03

Posted 05 September 2003 - 04:16 AM

hey but omar actually plays music behind it.

just like a fanboy to play the "Omar card". Tom's got skill and influence, Audioslave was just one big shame. But go back and listen to the first two Rage albums.

#12 Moosmadness

Moosmadness

Phaethon Prime Radamanthus

• Members
  • 6080 posts
  • Joined 30-June 03
  • Interests:To Vegemite We Toast

Posted 05 September 2003 - 08:05 AM

tom morello is no genius, i agree with willett.

and audioslave, i dont like them.

#13 sharpenedhides

sharpenedhides

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts
  • Joined 12-August 03

Posted 05 September 2003 - 08:07 AM

audioslave sucks. i tried to like them, but it didn't work.

#14 nachos-king

nachos-king

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Joined 22-July 03
  • Interests:Almost everything including Yemen

Posted 05 September 2003 - 02:32 PM

tom morello is no genius, i agree with willett.

and audioslave, i dont like them.

If Tom is nothing special then why was/is he so renound as a great guitarist? I dont hear anyone else making the kind of awsome sounds Tom made without any help(peddles, etc..).
But i have to agree that Audioslave aren't much to listen to.

#15 Willett

Willett

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • Joined 14-July 03

Posted 05 September 2003 - 08:02 PM

the firsts rage albums were great.
but he didnt expand his music.
thats my problem with him.

#16 JImmyDee

JImmyDee

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1731 posts
  • Joined 30-June 03
  • Interests:Rockin' out hard... Making the streets unsafe, playing the sitar, just the usual stuff...

Posted 05 September 2003 - 08:39 PM

Besides on Mic Check, most of the solo's in BOLA aren't really my cup of tea, but you're right he's got some good shit on the 2 first albums... Also if you doubt his skills, check out some live rage vids...

Audioslave is fucking shit... When i think of brad, tim and tom, i only think rage... audioslave doesn't exist to me... except for when it's on the radio, which is fucking annoying... Also Chris Cornell fucking sucks (i could come up with a long explanation, but i'm not gonna, so there you have it...

Also, i completely agree with forensic

#17 clipside of the pinkeyed flight

clipside of the pinkeyed flight

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • Joined 22-July 03

Posted 06 September 2003 - 12:16 AM

that like a stone solo is fucking horrible.

interesting side story: my friend payed ninety dollars for two tickets to audio slave, one for him and one for this chick he liked, then on the day of the concert the chick bailed and he had to invite this other fat ugly chick. the concert was over by ten thirty. the next night we spent 13 dollars for a local show that the cops shut down at 12 am. serves him right for liking audio slave.

i like cornells voice and morrellos guitar seperately, but together they suck.

#18 nachos-king

nachos-king

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Joined 22-July 03
  • Interests:Almost everything including Yemen

Posted 08 September 2003 - 05:52 AM

REALLY?

#19 Carruthers

Carruthers

GRAWRRR IM A GRIZZLY BEAR

• Members
  • 8481 posts
  • Joined 22-July 03
  • Interests:Me and you.<br />Your momma and your cousin, too.
  • Myspace

Posted 08 September 2003 - 05:55 AM

REALLY?

No.

No no no no no.

#20 chalk outline

chalk outline

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1492 posts
  • Joined 03-September 03
  • Interests:TMV (of course), Tori Amos, tofu, sushi, Nader, political science, philosophy, House of Leaves by Danielewski, camping, A Brave New World by Huxley, hiking, Kid A, criminology, Cat Power, psychology, fitness, and my obnoxious obsession with music.

Posted 09 September 2003 - 05:07 AM

he plays music but its all the same riff, or some solo that sounds like shit.

That's a horrible and narrow-minded thing to say. I personally think Tom is one of the greatest guitar players out there right now. He has a creativity that is untouched my any other guitarist. I admire him for wanting to start another band with the former members of Rage. It goes to show the crusader he truly is. He is a member of so many causes out there that other bands wouldn't even begin to find time to join. Just because you don't appreciate Audioslave doesn't mean that Tom Morello has to be subject to your disrespectful attitude. To me, he stands out alone from that band.
I actually saw Audioslave at Lolapallooza this year. Tom was playing some guitar solo from one of their songs, and then all of a sudden he turned that into the solo from Bulls On Parade. It was pretty rad, if you've been a die-hard Rage fan like me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users