IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Jack White

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#1 Vismund b

Vismund b

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1284 posts
  • Joined 05-December 07

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:07 AM

I searched first......

Apparently he has a new album coming out on April 23/24. I've always been a big fan of his work. This new song sounds like classic Jack White. Good song.

And this one isn't bad either.

I think a song collaboration between Jack White and Cedric/Omar/Mars Volta singing could be great.

#2 lu!s

lu!s

forum loser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11589 posts
  • Joined 17-November 03
  • Interests:I like things.<br /><br />

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:54 AM

He was a real dick to my friend 4 or 5 years ago at SXSW. Jack was with his bodyguard (or maybe his gigantic friend idk) and my friend was walking towards them to try and talk to Jack but said giant pushed her a bit too hard and my friend tripped and Jack just pointed and laughed at her saying "watch your step dumbass!" as they both walked away. I love most of his projects and what not but ever since that event, i've had a huge prejudice about him.

#3 yours-truly

yours-truly

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Joined 19-July 08

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:20 PM

He got 5/5 for his new album Blunderbuss in Mojo:
http://thirdmanrecor...tar-mojo-review

#4 xpgno

xpgno

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4504 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:51 PM

Ha, nice narrative behind the album. If that review is anything to go off, it sounds like this might be Jack's most refined work yet.

#5 A.N.Other

A.N.Other

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:09 PM

http://www.huffingto..._n_1428498.html

#6 Seattleite

Seattleite

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2797 posts
  • Joined 07-September 07

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:36 PM

anyone listened to it yet? those are ikeys awesome keyboards in the opener right?

#7 yours-truly

yours-truly

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Joined 19-July 08

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:46 PM

Ikey is in one of his bands (the all-male band) yes. Dunno who he used on the record

#8 Jack Austin Gilbert 7

Jack Austin Gilbert 7

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1305 posts
  • Joined 15-April 07
  • Interests:Music<br />Math<br />Women<br />
  • Facebook

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:08 AM

He was a real dick to my friend 4 or 5 years ago at SXSW. Jack was with his bodyguard (or maybe his gigantic friend idk) and my friend was walking towards them to try and talk to Jack but said giant pushed her a bit too hard and my friend tripped and Jack just pointed and laughed at her saying "watch your step dumbass!" as they both walked away. I love most of his projects and what not but ever since that event, i've had a huge prejudice about him.

I believe it. He always seemed like a big ol asshole to me. Doesn't mean I wouldn't kill to see The White Stripes.
He was awesome with The Dead Weather. Got to stand within five feet of him at the Third Man Records secret shop event a few years ago in downtown LA.

#9 yours-truly

yours-truly

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Joined 19-July 08

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:39 AM

So got Blunderbuss yesterday. I really really like it after a first listen. People expecting White Stripes/Dead Weather might not be so happily surprised though. It's what Jack always plays, blues, but in another package.

Also, I like the weight of the vinyl, how the sleeve is made and so on. Feels authentic

#10 Bishop Muzuraywa

Bishop Muzuraywa

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts
  • Joined 03-September 06
  • Facebook

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:00 PM

Been listening to this for the last couple of days. Really great, can't wait to see this live. Ikey isn't on the album but he's touring with him so certainly looking forward to a chance to see him play again.

#11 SUB

SUB

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1105 posts
  • Joined 21-July 04

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:33 PM

I gave the new album a listen yesterday. I thought it sounded great. Some of his best work in a while.

#12 psychoshamanism

psychoshamanism

nada sin ti

• Members
  • 7800 posts
  • Joined 03-May 09

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:35 PM

not bad. sounds like a good roadtrip album.

#13 Kenticus69

Kenticus69

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2612 posts
  • Joined 21-June 05

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:27 PM

ikey's in his male band and he's doing a live stream on youtube tonight from New York city which should be pretty cool. My guess is you get a half show with ikey as I figure since it's a live broadcast, he'll swap between his two bands tonight.

#14 wariotaskforce

wariotaskforce

funposter

• Members
  • 2653 posts
  • Joined 24-July 10
  • Interests:thimble dick

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:27 PM

I believe it. He always seemed like a big ol asshole to me. Doesn't mean I wouldn't kill to see The White Stripes.
He was awesome with The Dead Weather. Got to stand within five feet of him at the Third Man Records secret shop event a few years ago in downtown LA.

Man, that sounds dirty. I never figured him for a complete asshole. Maybe the average 'rock start' level but not a 'point and laugh at a female fan who fell to see you' type.

#15 Bane Fubar

Bane Fubar

Twat.

• Members
  • 32781 posts
  • Joined 16-February 07

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:50 PM

This actually makes him sound like my kind of guy.

#16 Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man

POWDERED.TOAST.MAN

• Members
  • 11353 posts
  • Joined 20-February 10
  • Twitter

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:05 PM

So you base your judgement of a person's character on hearsay based from a fleeting experience from one of your friends?

#17 Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man

POWDERED.TOAST.MAN

• Members
  • 11353 posts
  • Joined 20-February 10
  • Twitter

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:11 PM

The record's pretty good. Sixteen Salteens could be a song from any of his projects, if that was on the new Dead Weather, Raconteurs or White Stripes album it wouldn't be out of place. However I think it's just him pumping out a specific single to promote the record because the rest is pretty laid-back bluesey chill piano pop stuff. Which I like.

It's less of a "band" feel like with The Raconteurs/Dead Weather. Definitely what I expected from a Jack White solo effort. Some of it reasonably experimental, but he hasn't really broke his comfort zone yet. He doesn't break any new ground here, in terms of his own career or music as a whole, but it's good quality song writing.

I'd really like to see him create something a bit off the wall, I think he certainly has the ability to go more experimental, but checks himself to write radio-friendly alternative pop. I doubt that'll happen any time soon.

#18 Kenticus69

Kenticus69

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2612 posts
  • Joined 21-June 05

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:09 AM

ikey is tearing it up right now on the livestream. right now he's actually playing piano and just tearing it to shreds. such a mistake by TMV to let ikey go......

#19 Bane Fubar

Bane Fubar

Twat.

• Members
  • 32781 posts
  • Joined 16-February 07

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:23 AM

It was rumored that in 2003 White collaborated on Electric Six's song "Danger! High Voltage." Both he and the Electric Six denied this, and the vocal work was credited officially to John S O'Leary. However, a recent radio interview with Tim Shaw on Kerrang! 105.2 in the UK had Electric Six lead singer Dick Valentine talking openly about White singing on this song as well as speculating on the amount of money he was paid ($60,000). Also, a Q magazine article stated that Jack White did in fact work with Electric Six on the song "Gay Bar."

LULZ

#20 Beckuto

Beckuto

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Joined 01-March 12

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:11 PM

If you want to see the entire show of yesterday:

First Part with the Girls and Second Part with the Boys !

The Setlist:
(with Girls)
01. Dead Leaves And The Dirty Ground
02. Missing Pieces
03. Freedom At 21
04. Love Interruption
05. Hotel Yorba
06. Two Against One
07. Top Yourself
08. I'm Slowly Turning Into You
09. Blue Blood Blues
10. Take Me With You When You Go