IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Jack White

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#121 xpgno

xpgno

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4454 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 28 January 2018 - 11:21 PM

Jack White, for me, is like a cake made out of some of my fave ingredients yet tastes a bit shit. I feel like I should like his work but don't, really. Even the stuff of his that I have enjoyed doesn't seem to ever pull me back to listen to again (with the exception of Broken Boy Solider - I do jam that from time to time).

Yeah so, um,  not a fan really :(

He hasn't done anything interesting in a long time. All the White Stripes albums up to Elephant are great, but now he's turned himself into an industry and just churns out repetitive stuff. I like what he's done with increasing interest in rock and philanthropic stuff as well as helping to put Nashville back on the map, but musically I can't get interested in his newer stuff. It's like so well-done and tasteful, with all the right analog gear and mixing decisions, it's too well-done and comes off as mere homage. I guess you can't be both rich and still rock n' roll.

#122 Ghost Of Shark Horse

Ghost Of Shark Horse

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1299 posts
  • Joined 15-June 15

Posted 29 January 2018 - 12:04 AM

Jack White, for me, is like a cake made out of some of my fave ingredients yet tastes a bit shit. I feel like I should like his work but don't, really. Even the stuff of his that I have enjoyed doesn't seem to ever pull me back to listen to again (with the exception of Broken Boy Solider - I do jam that from time to time).

Yeah so, um,  not a fan really :(

He hasn't done anything interesting in a long time. All the White Stripes albums up to Elephant are great, but now he's turned himself into an industry and just churns out repetitive stuff. I like what he's done with increasing interest in rock and philanthropic stuff as well as helping to put Nashville back on the map, but musically I can't get interested in his newer stuff. It's like so well-done and tasteful, with all the right analog gear and mixing decisions, it's too well-done and comes off as mere homage. I guess you can't be both rich and still rock n' roll.

Yeah I feels ya. I do like what he has done with Third Man Records - and would like to visit the place one day. I also like that his kids don't have electronic devices in the house but can have all the machines they want like pinball etc where they are mechanical. I get that ethos as iPads etc don't do much for a kids imagination, I guess.

But yeah, his music is... a bit 

:whatever:

#123 crawlinginpasta

crawlinginpasta

Televator

• Coma Donor
  • Pip
  • 190 posts
  • Joined 26-March 16

Posted 29 January 2018 - 11:14 AM

Get Behind Me Satan is my fav. I love how little guitar is on it, just so unexpected considering what came before... I think this new one will be another radical departure.

#124 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3003 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 29 January 2018 - 04:43 PM

nothing will be better than dead weather

#125 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9827 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 31 January 2018 - 01:03 PM

I love all his stuff except the new singles :-(

#126 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 13304 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:36 PM

27654947_1433577486764383_75414603922793

#127 temporal lob

temporal lob

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Joined 02-September 13

Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:27 AM

I like that he never repeats himself. This is pseudo modernism. Corporation sounds like Herbie Hancock's Rockit with a little Superstition thrown in. Mid 80s fresh funk lol. OK with me.

#128 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3003 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 18 March 2018 - 06:31 AM

boarding house leaked. all hype no delivery imo

#129 Fonz

Fonz

Truth soldier

• Members
  • 7961 posts
  • Joined 13-October 06
  • Interests:Creative and really channeling music, the sounds must carry the life force of what it is meant to be. I really enjoy good horror and consider myself a constitutionalist and patriot.
  • Facebook
  • Myspace

Posted 18 March 2018 - 01:21 PM

#130 Fonz

Fonz

Truth soldier

• Members
  • 7961 posts
  • Joined 13-October 06
  • Interests:Creative and really channeling music, the sounds must carry the life force of what it is meant to be. I really enjoy good horror and consider myself a constitutionalist and patriot.
  • Facebook
  • Myspace

Posted 18 March 2018 - 01:23 PM

Too bad. I love his style. Lazaretto killed. This ones album art tho is pretty awful imo.

#131 Petra

Petra

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Joined 16-February 09

Posted 18 March 2018 - 05:59 PM

[quote name="crawlinginpasta" post="3803984" timestamp="1517220881"]
Get Behind Me Satan is my fav.[quote]

I've been listening to it recently, too. Played the hell out of it when it came out. I was reading Rolling Stone a lot back then and I remember they gave it the 5 star review saved strictly for Springsteen, Bob Dylan and re-issues. They really have no balls when it comes to reviews. Everything is 3 /12 out of 5.

But yeah, plenty of good songs on this one. Variety with an overall feel as well. One I can dig start to finish.(Get Behind Me Satan)

#132 Kenticus69

Kenticus69

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2551 posts
  • Joined 21-June 05

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:02 AM

Definitely a very very schizoid record, really all over the place even within single songs.

Current faves are def over and over and over and ice station zebra.....still really digging respect commander a ton too.

Could do without the two spoken word songs....feel like I’ll necee listen to them again aside from when I put the vinyl on.

#133 Fonz

Fonz

Truth soldier

• Members
  • 7961 posts
  • Joined 13-October 06
  • Facebook
  • Myspace

Posted 23 March 2018 - 03:09 AM

Those pre release songs are actually so dope! This guys gets me so excited because he just gets wilder and wilder with each release. Definitely considering the vinyl if this release holds up when I hear the whole thing tomorrow.

#134 Fonz

Fonz

Truth soldier

• Members
  • 7961 posts
  • Joined 13-October 06
  • Facebook
  • Myspace

Posted 23 March 2018 - 01:48 PM

Halfway thru I don't see what ppl don't like about it. It's almost like he's channeling Zappa. I guess some ppl might want more of his garage rock sound but this is a TMV forum so.... it's an awesome evolution imo so far.

#135 Fonz

Fonz

Truth soldier

• Members
  • 7961 posts
  • Joined 13-October 06
  • Facebook
  • Myspace

Posted 23 March 2018 - 03:42 PM

This album is unreal. The spoken words tongue and cheek and I really enjoy it because it's a break from his usual seriousness. His humor is a welcome addition to his sound. Also super happy there are ultra lp editions of lazaretto still around so I picked that up while I got this one :)

#136 temporal lob

temporal lob

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Joined 02-September 13

Posted 24 March 2018 - 06:49 PM

Picked up a copy today. I think he just keeps moving forward, not paying attention to trends or even genres. Better than Lazaretto IMO. Love the acoustic Bass and Piano. I remember going into a local record store in the early 2000s and asking about the White Stripes. All I got was a blank stare. This is just as ahead of the prevaling music of the era as he was back then. Maybe people will catch up with him someday.

#137 Fonz

Fonz

Truth soldier

• Members
  • 7961 posts
  • Joined 13-October 06
  • Facebook
  • Myspace

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:56 PM

Corporation absolutely has those summer heat festival groove vibes going for it and it's a perfect time for this warm sounding music now that it's finally spring. Listening to get in the mind shaft, if that was the only song that you heard of his or say the first one you heard by him, would you ever guess the kind of music he did in his past bands? It's a complete transformation. I would be totally happy if he just went all out funk and jazz for the next couple albums. And it is better than Lazaretto. The last song almost sounds like a Beatles or McCartney b side. I'm going to stop posting now to let other people say what they want about this album. Didn't realize I have been spammy lately.

#138 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3003 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 27 March 2018 - 05:10 AM

ikey would've crushed this album

#139 Kenticus69

Kenticus69

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2551 posts
  • Joined 21-June 05

Posted 27 March 2018 - 11:58 AM

ikey would've crushed this album

Ikey would have been some great fun on this album.....definitely miss the guy a lot and all her brought to the table. So much soul in his playing and the dude was always bursting at the seams with energy.....thank god we still have all the recordings to remember the guy by! He’s so awesome on the bonnarol dvd, I always especially love his organ solo on hotel yorba.

#140 Petra

Petra

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Joined 16-February 09

Posted 27 March 2018 - 09:32 PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users