IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Does More moderation Really Work?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#41 Renz Talk End

Renz Talk End

Scrape your knee, it is only skin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5162 posts
  • Joined 06-February 05

Posted 03 September 2007 - 04:49 PM

Calm down Erik. It's being taken care of. I promise.

#42 firstrays123

firstrays123

We Do By Declare Ourselves To Be Another Art Of Being

• Members
  • 10329 posts
  • Joined 23-May 04
  • Interests:Music, School, Meditation, Friends & Family, Spirituality, Good Food, Traveling and Sun Ra

Posted 03 September 2007 - 04:50 PM

makes me feel like theory when people know my name and I don't know theres...Aint shit being taken care of with how you guys get down, I promise.

#43 Renz Talk End

Renz Talk End

• Members
  • 5162 posts
  • Joined 06-February 05

Posted 03 September 2007 - 04:57 PM

You can believe that if you want to, but we really are trying.

What it will do, we don't know. But we are figuring out exactly what we need to do there.

I don't have much to do with it, though, since I'm not a Drunkship mod.

#44 firstrays123

firstrays123

• Members
  • 10329 posts
  • Joined 23-May 04
  • Interests:Music, School, Meditation, Friends & Family, Spirituality, Good Food, Traveling and Sun Ra

Posted 03 September 2007 - 04:59 PM

well that place is seriously a jungle, I wouldn't have made these posts if I didn't feel it needed something drastic. I have some ideas, but I don't want to express them here. I am leaving today to practice with my band, but when I get home I would like to talk with a moderator over aim, if thats at all possible. So if anyone of you mods use aim, please pm me with your aim name.

#45 Carruthers

Carruthers

GRAWRRR IM A GRIZZLY BEAR

• Members
  • 8481 posts
  • Joined 22-July 03
  • Interests:Me and you.<br />Your momma and your cousin, too.
  • Myspace

Posted 03 September 2007 - 07:30 PM

well if you're pissed about how the drunkship is maybe YOU should do something to fix it

if you don't like the shitty threads make some good ones

also why are lots of people using your account

#46 whorepresents?

whorepresents?

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 20199 posts
  • Joined 08-May 05

Posted 03 September 2007 - 07:39 PM

if you don't like drunkship and don't post in it why don't you just leave it to the people who do enjoy posting in it and stop complaining?

#47 Sara

Sara

dead so i've played to merely turn him on

• Members
  • 13615 posts
  • Joined 21-July 03
  • Interests:I should have loved a thunderbird instead; <br />At least when spring comes they roar back again.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 03 September 2007 - 07:40 PM

not to nitpick....but firstrays you are wasting a lot of space complaining about the drunkship and i don't recall a time where you were a regular drunkship poster. if that one subforum offends you so greatly...then why not just ignore it and move on. and stop complaining. you don't post there, it really bothers you, there are 7 other subforums that you can read instead and just ignore the drunkship's existence.

also fyi, you aren't supposed to share your account with other people.

#48 Guest_pimpinseacow_*

Guest_pimpinseacow_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 03 September 2007 - 09:13 PM

The clarity of your objective in changing drunkship is murky at best. You obviously have no nameable grievances, if it is the leak, then I would have to assure you that there is rarely an instance where it surfaces.

So perhaps the best thing you can do is ignore it as it appears to be a place not suitable for your personality type.

#49 Maese Zooke

Maese Zooke

À la recherche du temps perdu

• Members
  • 6280 posts
  • Joined 11-February 06
  • Interests:Music, literature, engineering, bass n chicks
  • Facebook

Posted 05 September 2007 - 04:48 AM

If youre serious

youre sad

#50 Cassandra Geminni

Cassandra Geminni

Veritas In Vin

• Members
  • 7231 posts
  • Joined 03-April 05

Posted 05 September 2007 - 05:04 AM

To Casandra, I think that part of being a mod is learning how to take the hatred, and yes it is unjust but I can't think of anything anyone can do about it.

meh, water off a duck's back, once I log off I couldn't really care less. I guess I just get a bit mad when I see a place I once loved because the discussions used to be great, fall to pieces.. shit happens though, right?

#51 scorpio

scorpio

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 5105 posts
  • Joined 13-June 05

Posted 05 September 2007 - 03:59 PM

I agree with Firstrays on this. This is the "problem" in a nutshell, as I see it...... This forum was created for fans of the band The Mars Volta, correct? So theoretically fans of the band come here to see about news on releases, concerts, reviews, trades of bootlegs, etc..... Right? If you are no longer a fan of this band why continue to visit this forum? Correct me, if I'm wrong (oh and I'm sure you will) Drunkship is filled with people who are no longer fans of this band. Or hated Amputechure so much that they have kind of lost interest in the band at the moment. Which is legit since we all have opinions. But the problem starts when haters of the current direction of the band spread this discontent to the rest of the forum. Half of the threads in the main forum end in arguements about whether or not Amputechure is a good album. Or Drunkship regulars "brag" about how they started a shitstorm on the main forum by posting a fake leak or whatnot. Maybe it is time to perform a bit of Amputechture on the Drunkship. The Wombatorium already exists, no? Diseased limbs are amputated to save the rest of the body from it's poison. Fact.

Instead of saying "Don't visit the Drunkship if you don't like it." It should be "Don't visit The Mars Volta forum if you no longer are interested in this band." Moderators shouldn't say "It's sad to see what this forum has become." But realize maybe they are the reason it's become such a quagmire and resign. Some of the newer mods such as Sense Talk End, CLA and Seyon35 are doing a good job, in my opinion. We need more mods who take an active interest in the band.

I don't always agree with Firstrays on alot of his views, but, face it, he has a legitimate concern here. I think we all know what the real problem is.

#52 lv42swordmaster

lv42swordmaster

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3771 posts
  • Joined 18-January 06
  • Interests:Guitar<br />SNES<br />Movies<br />Music<br />blahlblahblahlah

Posted 05 September 2007 - 06:59 PM

my argument is it's really just a forum, move on
you're worrying way too much about this

#53 firstrays123

firstrays123

• Members
  • 10329 posts
  • Joined 23-May 04
  • Interests:Music, School, Meditation, Friends &amp; Family, Spirituality, Good Food, Traveling and Sun Ra

Posted 05 September 2007 - 09:16 PM

that last post just took us back to square one...I say don't even bother with these mods anymore, they complain about what the coma "used to be" when they contributing nothing that falls in line with that desired state. It's really eays to complain about used to be's but all the people with claims, never contributed shit to start off, so i don't understand what it is they are missing...you really can't miss observation without action that much, oh wait, you guys are mods, you guys love that.

#54 lv42swordmaster

lv42swordmaster

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3771 posts
  • Joined 18-January 06
  • Interests:Guitar<br />SNES<br />Movies<br />Music<br />blahlblahblahlah

Posted 05 September 2007 - 09:28 PM

i think any amount of squares exceeding one on this issue is a little superfluous
so being back at square one is probably what's best and how the issue should be left

#55 Carruthers

Carruthers

• Members
  • 8481 posts
  • Joined 22-July 03
  • Myspace

Posted 05 September 2007 - 09:44 PM

is it possible that the people that post in the drunkship do it because they enjoy the community they have become a part of

a community that is completely autonomous from whatever a band does in it's career

people posting stupid shit in the drunkship neither slaps you in the face nor picks your pocket and i really don't see why firstrays and scorpio are all up in arms about this

oh

oh god

wait

did you two both get molested by a drunkship when you were younger

it is okay

you can tell me

i understand

#56 Cyggy

Cyggy

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 19667 posts
  • Joined 11-March 07
  • Interests:Music, Music, Music! c0ma pwny

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:00 PM

God Carruthers, you so funny.
:P

#57 Renz Talk End

Renz Talk End

• Members
  • 5162 posts
  • Joined 06-February 05

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:24 PM

I agree with Firstrays on this. This is the "problem" in a nutshell, as I see it...... This forum was created for fans of the band The Mars Volta, correct? So theoretically fans of the band come here to see about news on releases, concerts, reviews, trades of bootlegs, etc..... Right? If you are no longer a fan of this band why continue to visit this forum? Correct me, if I'm wrong (oh and I'm sure you will) Drunkship is filled with people who are no longer fans of this band. Or hated Amputechure so much that they have kind of lost interest in the band at the moment. Which is legit since we all have opinions. But the problem starts when haters of the current direction of the band spread this discontent to the rest of the forum. Half of the threads in the main forum end in arguements about whether or not Amputechure is a good album. Or Drunkship regulars "brag" about how they started a shitstorm on the main forum by posting a fake leak or whatnot. Maybe it is time to perform a bit of Amputechture on the Drunkship. The Wombatorium already exists, no? Diseased limbs are amputated to save the rest of the body from it's poison. Fact.

Instead of saying "Don't visit the Drunkship if you don't like it." It should be "Don't visit The Mars Volta forum if you no longer are interested in this band." Moderators shouldn't say "It's sad to see what this forum has become." But realize maybe they are the reason it's become such a quagmire and resign. Some of the newer mods such as Sense Talk End, CLA and Seyon35 are doing a good job, in my opinion. We need more mods who take an active interest in the band.

I don't always agree with Firstrays on alot of his views, but, face it, he has a legitimate concern here. I think we all know what the real problem is.

While I don't quite agree with Firstrays, you both do bring up good points, and I, for one, agree with pretty much everything you have said (though I feel as if you and Erik have very different agendas, his being more about the moderators, and yours being more about the people in Drunkship.) I also understand Carruthers's point of view that these people have been coming here for a long time, and they have a tightly-knit community. I don't want to break that up, for I feel it's not my place. However, I do think that if these people hate the band as a whole, they should move to another forum like The Womba.

However, Drunkship is not my territory, and the other mods most likely do not agree with my position on the subject.

#58 TheCabface

TheCabface

Raptors live in a world where pants have no meaning.

• Members
  • 17987 posts
  • Joined 03-March 05
  • Interests:loling, s'ing d.

Posted 06 September 2007 - 09:04 PM

I think that the whole "if you don't like the band but stay for Drunkship, you should leave" point of view is completely wrong. So what if they don't like the band anymore? They're posting in a part of the forum totally unrelated to the band. Not only that, most of them are extremely active in Mumbling of Citadels, and a majority of the people that keep that section thriving aren't fans of the Mars Volta anymore.

If your concern is that "well, these people are just going to cause trouble in the main forum because they don't like the band," then I suggest you concern yourself more with something else. I mean, what do you think is more annoying for myself, a fan of the band who wants to browse the main forum; a stupid post that's at least slightly amusing from a Drunkship poster, or 10 threads made by users with 10 posts talking about "omgz, I found teh new tracklist and album covers!" or "LIEK, WHERE CAN I GET DA SHOEZ OMAR WEARS THEIR REALLY COOL" or "I TALKED TO IKEY HE SAYS THE ALBUM IS ABOUT SOCKS!"? I'm betting you're more annoyed by the latter.

If you don't like Drunkship, don't visit. If you don't like The Mars Volta, don't visit the main section of the forum. Seems pretty simple to me.

#59 Renz Talk End

Renz Talk End

• Members
  • 5162 posts
  • Joined 06-February 05

Posted 07 September 2007 - 12:15 AM

I totally understand your point of view, Cabface, but I disagree. I feel like first and foremost, this message board is a Mars Volta fansite. Drunkship should be a place where Mars Volta fans talk about things unrelated to music and The Mars Volta. I don't think there's any real way to fix what I see as not a big problem, so I really just have to deal with it. I'm sure other moderators disagree with me. And yes, you are right, annoyingly ignorant Mars Volta fans are much more annoying than spam threads, and much more common. I just feel like The Mars Volta's message board should be for Mars Volta fans. We are not going to see eye to eye on this subject, though, so we had best leave it at that.

#60 Carruthers

Carruthers

• Members
  • 8481 posts
  • Joined 22-July 03
  • Myspace

Posted 07 September 2007 - 12:20 AM

well i guess cedric and omar should be glad that there are superfans like firstrays that feel the need to decide who can and cannot post on a message board !

hey maybe cedric and omar will even invite you backstage !

maybe they will even let you take a 'toke' off of one of their 'doobies' ! (that is street slang for marijuana cigarettes)

i once enjoyed the mars volta and now i don't really care about them

regardless i feel like my being part of this community is valid

there are tons of people in the same boat as me

now who here is going to tell me to the get the fuck out?

seriously i'm waiting for someone to tell me to do just that

go ahead

i dare you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users