IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

ORL - El Buffalo De La NocheCan someone please help identify?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 secretagentbill

secretagentbill

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts
  • Joined 24-October 03

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:58 AM

Just came across this strange 20+ minute track which includes (among other things) what seem to be snippets of solo work I can't readily identify, music/audio clips from what I assume to be the film El Buffalo De La Noche (with dialogue and all), & Demo takes of Amputechture songs... I sincerely apologize if this is common knowledge, like maybe it's just part of the proper soundtrack to the film, and somehow I never came across it before, or it's just some fan made "tribute" mix or something. Just thought it was worth bringing up as I thought I had heard everything officially released from ORL, I remember Cedric saying before on youtube that no "demo" versions of songs exist for any album, and everyone who has commented on the video doesn't seem to be able to pinpoint exactly what it is either... In any event though, quite a good listen

Thanks

#2 ThaiNoodles

ThaiNoodles

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1672 posts
  • Joined 20-March 05
  • Interests:Sacrificing children. Chocolate Milk. Birthday Parties

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

I'm pretty sure all of this is from El Buffalo, the amp songs are just mixed differently and with the vocals taken out.

Also, Cedric is just flat out wrong about there not being any Volta demos, summer demo sessions contains a lot of the deloused tracks with completely different takes, there's a protools dump of some of the stuff from frances (sarcophogi and Miranda) and there are demo versions of Agadez and Soothsayer.

#3 secretagentbill

secretagentbill

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts
  • Joined 24-October 03

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

right, yeah of course there's the summer demo sessions, but those aren't really "demos" per say (besides the Blake Flemming versions of "Cicatrix" & "Roulette Dares" which appear on this compilation even though they weren't recorded at the Laurel Canyon house) they're just early/rough mixes of what ended up on the record... And as for the amp songs just being mixed differently, if you listen to the instrumental version of Viscera Eyes that starts around 2:31, you'll notice there's a lead guitar track there in place of the vocals during the first verse along with that weird synth sound, both of which are tracks that don't appear on the album version of the tune. So maybe this is an instrumental version he specifically arranged for the film?

#4 Jehu

Jehu

I like to drive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6104 posts
  • Joined 03-November 08
  • Interests:Mostly driving
  • Twitter

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

There's an "album" that someone from this forum made years ago that contains all the music snippets from the film, I have it on my itunes but I'm at work right now so I can't check it out (Youtube is also blocked here so I can't check that clip you posted to see if it's the same). It does have alternate mixes/recordings of Amputechture songs, every track is maybe a minute or two, so it averaging around 20 minutes wouldn't surprise me.

Sorry I'm typing this all up in a rush, when I have more time I can deliver a more solidified answer.

EDIT: Check out this thread - http://forum.thecoma...x...noche&st=20

#5 xXvolta_swordXx

xXvolta_swordXx

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3628 posts
  • Joined 14-September 07
  • Twitter

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

The night Buffalo was a trippy movie. I recommend it.

#6 ThaiNoodles

ThaiNoodles

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1672 posts
  • Joined 20-March 05
  • Interests:Sacrificing children. Chocolate Milk. Birthday Parties

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:35 AM

right, yeah of course there's the summer demo sessions, but those aren't really "demos" per say (besides the Blake Flemming versions of "Cicatrix" & "Roulette Dares" which appear on this compilation even though they weren't recorded at the Laurel Canyon house) they're just early/rough mixes of what ended up on the record... And as for the amp songs just being mixed differently, if you listen to the instrumental version of Viscera Eyes that starts around 2:31, you'll notice there's a lead guitar track there in place of the vocals during the first verse along with that weird synth sound, both of which are tracks that don't appear on the album version of the tune. So maybe this is an instrumental version he specifically arranged for the film?

Yeah I would still consider the summer demo sessions demos, there are different lyrics on certain songs, completely different vocal takes, etc. And yeah, those amp songs were mixed specifically for the film, some tracks are taken out of the mix, hence you can hear the drums a lot better, and then it sounds like he just added some lead guitars and different effects here and there to fit the film.

#7 Veni-yan Warrior

Veni-yan Warrior

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3025 posts
  • Joined 27-February 05

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:20 AM

Yeah I would still consider the summer demo sessions demos, there are different lyrics on certain songs, completely different vocal takes, etc. And yeah, those amp songs were mixed specifically for the film, some tracks are taken out of the mix, hence you can hear the drums a lot better, and then it sounds like he just added some lead guitars and different effects here and there to fit the film.

Frusciante? He comes out of the right speaker, from what I remember reading. Was exciting to have him on all of Amputechture except for "Asilos Magdalena"

Maybe the Amp tracks were used for this film before being fleshed out by more members of the group later on.

#8 vacuumo

vacuumo

Baphomet

• Coma Donor
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Joined 23-February 05

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:13 PM

Frusciante? He comes out of the right speaker, from what I remember reading. Was exciting to have him on all of Amputechture except for "Asilos Magdalena"

Maybe the Amp tracks were used for this film before being fleshed out by more members of the group later on.

omar said that for TBIG he often double-tracked solos with himself in one channel and john in another. i don't remember him saying he did the same for amp though. of course, frusciante contributed a lot of guitar to amp but i don't think they double tracked the solos.

#9 xpgno

xpgno

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4380 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 25 November 2017 - 02:39 AM

What is the last track on this (before Asilos Magdalena with vocals)?

I've been listening to this soundtrack, and it's very good. 

#10 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 13117 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 25 November 2017 - 02:46 AM

I think it's just referred to as "Ending (Credits)", the album isn't even listed at Discogs so I can't confirm.

Edit: I think it wasn't even released.

#11 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

in•ter a•li•a•moms

• Party Members
  • 5390 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Interests:Ask me be about prison.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 25 November 2017 - 04:21 PM

It wasn't released.  There is a fan-made soundtrack with snippets of the songs, but you have people talking over them.  

#12 xpgno

xpgno

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4380 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 28 November 2017 - 08:55 PM

What is the last track on this (before Asilos Magdalena with vocals)?

I've been listening to this soundtrack, and it's very good. 

Someone on Youtube answered my question. Claims it's this track from Solar Gambling:

Somehow I overlooked this track completely. Need to go back and listen to Solar.

#13 Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • Joined 27-April 09

Posted 29 November 2017 - 12:38 PM

Ha, I did yesterday for the first time in years. This album is wonderful. I think I like the interludes even more than the actual songs, especially Lorrentz.

#14 Ghost Of Shark Horse

Ghost Of Shark Horse

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1190 posts
  • Joined 15-June 15

Posted 01 December 2017 - 11:11 PM

Ha, I did yesterday for the first time in years. This album is wonderful. I think I like the interludes even more than the actual songs, especially Lorrentz.

Couldn't agree more

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users