IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Rage Against the MachineAppreciation Thread

• Please log in to reply
540 replies to this topic

#41 piesore

piesore

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3078 posts
  • Joined 07-October 03
  • Interests:Guitar, reading, music, movies, all the normal stuff.

Posted 23 January 2005 - 12:32 PM

Crazy, so he played some Rage songs?

#42 Morales

Morales

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Joined 02-January 04
  • Interests:good music, art, politics, science, carpentry, growing peppers and plants, drums, cooking, painting, drawing, history and sticking it to the Man.

Posted 23 January 2005 - 12:43 PM

Crazy, so he played some Rage songs?

View Post

Thats what it looks like but it also seems that he is not wanting that much attention from what it says in the small article and pic

#43 piesore

piesore

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3078 posts
  • Joined 07-October 03

Posted 23 January 2005 - 12:50 PM

The biggest thing that confuses me about Zack's limited solo output is as much as I like it, it seems to fit pretty comfortably into Rage's catalogue. He said he left the band because of creative differences and all that, but unless the rest of the band really actually wanted to sound like Audioslave before Zack left, I don't see his big problem with their sound. I remember he called TBOLA a "debacle", but We Want it All seems to fit pretty comfortable into that sound.

#44 will ed smithmo

will ed smithmo

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2848 posts
  • Joined 03-January 04
  • Interests:Mahuuusic, playin guitar,drums,congas,bass and a bit of keys too. Umm jammin in order to create interesting music. Favourite music is Fela Kuti, Herbie Hancock, lots of various funky stuff, also Antibalas, Tony Allen and Kokolo (and Femi of course).

Posted 23 January 2005 - 12:56 PM

Rage were wicked

#45 Cicatriz-ESP

Cicatriz-ESP

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1650 posts
  • Joined 01-August 04

Posted 23 January 2005 - 03:43 PM

i love rage, the album "Battle of Los Angeles" and the Song "Born as Ghosts" is really good i love that song

#46 jesus_is_my_airbag

jesus_is_my_airbag

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Joined 17-January 05

Posted 23 January 2005 - 04:08 PM

the s/t, and evil empire, and the battle of los angeles, and renegades. and live at the grand olympic auditorium. THOSE ARE MY FAVOURITES!

View Post

Wow.

#47 nick1029

nick1029

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Joined 12-January 05

Posted 30 January 2005 - 04:17 AM

Rage Against the Machine
Evil Empire
Battle of Los Angeles
Renegades

The DVD for the Battle of Mexico City is extremely good.
We need more bands with causes like RATM. I was so pissed when they broke up.
Tom Morello, Zdlr are geniuses. Brendan O'brien is a great producer.

#48 will ed smithmo

will ed smithmo

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2848 posts
  • Joined 03-January 04
  • Interests:Mahuuusic, playin guitar,drums,congas,bass and a bit of keys too. Umm jammin in order to create interesting music. Favourite music is Fela Kuti, Herbie Hancock, lots of various funky stuff, also Antibalas, Tony Allen and Kokolo (and Femi of course).

Posted 30 January 2005 - 07:42 AM

I iz listening to them right now. Man i wish they got together again...or maybe i dont.......maybe i want to go back and see them.

But then i'd have to get back here to kill you. All of you.

#49 Exoskeletallanterns

Exoskeletallanterns

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4446 posts
  • Joined 04-April 04

Posted 30 January 2005 - 11:27 AM

s/t-collectively as a band their best album
evil empire- zacks best album
battle of LA- tom's best album
Renegades- i dont even know

View Post

I can see your logic there. And I agree

View Post

yeah same here. I dont really like renegades.

#50 manupod13

manupod13

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4897 posts
  • Joined 19-August 04
  • Myspace

Posted 30 January 2005 - 11:34 AM

Brendan O'brien is a great producer.

damn straight. he made the Stone Temple Pilots sound sooooooooooo good. but on topic; Rage has great music but Zach sounds like he's spitting all over the place.

#51 strataman6

strataman6

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  • Joined 09-January 05
  • Interests:Music, guitar, hunting, warfare history, comics

Posted 30 January 2005 - 02:16 PM

:ol_arrow: For several year I thought the rage were so stupid singin about a pocket full of shells god that was stupid. But over the past year i have begun to really like their music mainly because of tom's guitar playing. But I still think the whole bring down the establishment is a dumb idea.

#52 qball

qball

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2464 posts
  • Joined 10-October 03

Posted 30 January 2005 - 04:00 PM

The self-titled album is their opus magnum. They could have broken up after it was released.

#53 Morales

Morales

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Joined 02-January 04
  • Interests:good music, art, politics, science, carpentry, growing peppers and plants, drums, cooking, painting, drawing, history and sticking it to the Man.

Posted 30 January 2005 - 06:28 PM

:ol_arrow: But I still think the whole bring down the establishment is a dumb idea.

View Post

Why is that?

#54 Go to bed Jessica!

Go to bed Jessica!

Ring-Mod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10682 posts
  • Joined 06-December 04

Posted 06 February 2005 - 01:49 AM

The biggest thing that confuses me about Zack's limited solo output is as much as I like it, it seems to fit pretty comfortably into Rage's catalogue. He said he left the band because of creative differences and all that, but unless the rest of the band really actually wanted to sound like Audioslave before Zack left, I don't see his big problem with their sound. I remember he called TBOLA a "debacle", but We Want it All seems to fit pretty comfortable into that sound.

View Post

Self-titled - one of my alltime favourites.
TBOLA - close second. Tom shreds on this album.

I seem to recall reading an interview with Tom where he said that they broke up because it just took Zack so damn long to get around to writing/recording vocals. Apparently all of the music would be written and recorded before the band even got to hear what Zack was going to do with each track.

They were a great band who put out some great stuff, but from the POV of the rest of the band, that must have really been pretty frustrating. I suppose they figured that Cornell was alot more focussed (reliable and professional as a musician?) and that they'd be able to do more stuff with him. That said, I'd like to know when the next Audioslave record is coming out... it's been ages since the first one was released.

#55 piesore

piesore

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3078 posts
  • Joined 07-October 03

Posted 06 February 2005 - 02:03 AM

Audioslave should be out this year, they were pretty close to being done a while ago.

#56 Solaris

Solaris

Custom Rank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12417 posts
  • Joined 30-June 03

Posted 06 February 2005 - 02:47 AM

occasionally i will listen to rage and enjoy it

#57 virulenthives

virulenthives

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1761 posts
  • Joined 10-November 04

Posted 17 February 2005 - 11:08 PM

I love rage...hate audioslave

#58 freepablo

freepablo

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • Joined 22-June 04
  • Interests:Filmmaking, Dodgers, Lakers, UCLA basketball, 49ers, music, Star Wars, Martin Scorsese films, Los Angeles films, drinking Haterade

Posted 17 February 2005 - 11:24 PM

My favorite band since I was 7 years old. Completely changed my life. The day Zack left the band was like The Beatles breaking up in '70 for me. Complete heartbreak. I've always felt connected to Zack since we're both half-Mexican and have fathers who are artists(while mine hasn't converted to Christianity and forced me to destroy all of his artwork just yet like de la Rocha's). I see Zack every now and then since he goes to the same coffee shop in the Silverlake area of L.A. every day.

Zack is really, really cool. He's actually very small, skinny, and speaks very softly. He gave me this autograph when we had sushi together once:

Posted Image

Audioslave is.....OK. I was never a fan of Soundgarden. It's really boring in my opinion. Evil Empire is their best album. The song "Tire Me" is mind-blowing. Evil Empire feels the best to me, especially with the bass and vocals. Tom Morello killed everybody in TBOLA, but Evil Empire is my favorite.

#59 Guest_miningtheclouds_*

Guest_miningtheclouds_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 17 February 2005 - 11:57 PM

You know what I never understood?

They are so fiercely political, constantly attacking big business and then they allow their songs to be used in blockbuster pieces of shit like Godzilla.

I really used to like them, so if someone can provide an excuse for that I would appreciate it, because their whole image and ideology always seemed like bullshit after all those crappy soundtracks they were included on.

#60 freepablo

freepablo

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • Joined 22-June 04
  • Interests:Filmmaking, Dodgers, Lakers, UCLA basketball, 49ers, music, Star Wars, Martin Scorsese films, Los Angeles films, drinking Haterade

Posted 18 February 2005 - 12:11 AM

You know what I never understood?

They are so fiercely political, constantly attacking big business and then they allow their songs to be used in blockbuster pieces of shit like Godzilla.

I really used to like them, so if someone can provide an excuse for that I would appreciate it, because their whole image and ideology always seemed like bullshit after all those crappy soundtracks they were included on.

View Post

I never listened for the image. I don't think Mumia Abdul-Jamal is innocent. I don't think Che Guevara is an amazing individual. You take the bad with the good. Yeah, they sometimes seem hypocritical, but they also do things like a few years back, the mayor of L.A. made a new law that made it illegal to feed homeless people when they're on the street(L.A. I believe has the biggest homeless population in America) so RATM and System of a Down held a free concert in a park with tables full of free food for the homeless.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users