IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

HIP-HOP CONVENTION FOR THE UNINFORMEDRecommendations In Opening Post, Wealth Of Knowledge Throughout Thread

• Please log in to reply
7736 replies to this topic

#21 Smilin' Desperado

Smilin' Desperado

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4040 posts
  • Joined 10-September 03
  • Interests:Reading, Cooking, Music, Tv Shows, Food Network, not doing laundry, beach, the sun, cold weather, expensive dinners, shoes ,comfortable clothes, google, kittens, puppies, wikipedia, electronic music, being high, baked goods, being awesome.
  • Facebook
  • Myspace

Posted 23 April 2005 - 01:21 AM

yea, enter the 36 chambers is the best hip hop album ever

#22 Stalktheground11

Stalktheground11

The Bling Bling Voyager Version 3.2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14170 posts
  • Joined 11-November 03
  • Interests:ROLLERBLADING

Posted 23 April 2005 - 02:35 AM

I once emailed the first section of the track "Method Man" to my brother for his birthday.

#23 digadaga

digadaga

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Joined 26-November 03

Posted 23 April 2005 - 03:04 AM

Sole, Atmosphere, Hieroglyphics

Anyone?

#24 hottnikkels

hottnikkels

• Members
  • 7911 posts
  • Joined 07-December 03
  • Interests:Art, Girls, Music

Posted 23 April 2005 - 03:44 AM

Thanks for the compliments guys, I got out of school early and had a little time on my hands.

Yeah I know I left out "the low end theory", I left out a ton of great albums. Those were just some of the ones that I thought of at the time, and I felt like those album are all really accesible and quality albums that pretty much everyone should be able to enjoy.

If we're talkin Wu-tang you gotta mention Raekwon's "Only built for cubin lynx" also.

#25 Smilin' Desperado

Smilin' Desperado

Goliath

• Members
  • 4040 posts
  • Joined 10-September 03
  • Interests:Reading, Cooking, Music, Tv Shows, Food Network, not doing laundry, beach, the sun, cold weather, expensive dinners, shoes ,comfortable clothes, google, kittens, puppies, wikipedia, electronic music, being high, baked goods, being awesome.
  • Facebook
  • Myspace

Posted 23 April 2005 - 04:11 AM

well of course

#26 toxicsludgeboy

toxicsludgeboy

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 5000 posts
  • Joined 29-October 04

Posted 23 April 2005 - 04:29 AM

weerd science is good shit too.

www.weerdscience.com

www.purevolume.com/weerdscience

#27 spiderking

spiderking

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts
  • Joined 22-July 04
  • Interests:ehhh wutev.

Posted 23 April 2005 - 05:37 AM

Ghost face Killah - Iron man

Did anyone get masta killas cd, i havent heard it, but i heard it was good.

#28 hottnikkels

hottnikkels

• Members
  • 7911 posts
  • Joined 07-December 03

Posted 23 April 2005 - 06:45 PM

He obviously can't make even a halfway decent argument to back his words up, so that makes anything he says completely worthless. For someone that seems to think of himself as some sort of an intellectual his stubbornness and apathy has led him to sound pretty ignorant if you ask me.

#29 arejay

arejay

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1936 posts
  • Joined 09-April 04

Posted 23 April 2005 - 08:22 PM

If you're the punkrock kinda kid who can't get enough of that punkvoter.com-esque shallow rhetoric ... then maybe you need to check out the Coup.

#30 Carruthers

Carruthers

GRAWRRR IM A GRIZZLY BEAR

• Members
  • 8481 posts
  • Joined 22-July 03
  • Interests:Me and you.<br />Your momma and your cousin, too.
  • Myspace

Posted 23 April 2005 - 08:31 PM

Diplo, DJ Shadow, The Presage, Koushik, Edan, Percee P, Clouddead, Dooley O...hell, I even love Lil Jon productions. There is too much good music going on RIGHT NOW to block yourself off. Hip hop is music and it is here to stay.

Did anyone get masta killas cd, i havent heard it, but i heard it was good.

View Post

Very good.

#31 Cicatriz71088

Cicatriz71088

MR. HATE!!!!!!

• Members
  • 6210 posts
  • Joined 11-March 05
  • Interests:Music is my number one passion in life, after that is film. Other than that I like to write a lot, I like to paint and I like to be creative in anyway possible.

Posted 23 April 2005 - 08:40 PM

Music is subjective

if you don't like hip hop, so what?

I do enjoy some hip hop, im a big Nappy Roots fan

#32 Cicatriz71088

Cicatriz71088

MR. HATE!!!!!!

• Members
  • 6210 posts
  • Joined 11-March 05
  • Interests:Music is my number one passion in life, after that is film. Other than that I like to write a lot, I like to paint and I like to be creative in anyway possible.

Posted 23 April 2005 - 08:41 PM

Sole, Atmosphere, Hieroglyphics

Anyone?

View Post

right here brothah

#33 hottnikkels

hottnikkels

• Members
  • 7911 posts
  • Joined 07-December 03

Posted 23 April 2005 - 09:00 PM

Music is subjective

if you don't like hip hop, so what?

View Post

This convention's not saying you have to like hip-hop, but rather that you should understand that it's just as promising and authentic as any other art-form or musical genre.

View Post

#34 Dino Suzuki

Dino Suzuki

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3405 posts
  • Joined 09-August 03
  • Interests:setting things on fire, velvet underground, the roots, can, miles davis, sonic youth, talib kweli, rjd2, the fall, sun ra, mos def, public enemy, mahavisnu orchestra, beastie boys, iggy/stooges, mc5, hunter s thompson, BLACK PEOPLE.

Posted 23 April 2005 - 09:34 PM

Blah blah blah, just another hip hop thread on a mars volta site jacking off to backpacker bullshit. Stop being white. Anticon has as little to say as 50 Cent.

#35 Smilin' Desperado

Smilin' Desperado

Goliath

• Members
  • 4040 posts
  • Joined 10-September 03
  • Facebook
  • Myspace

Posted 23 April 2005 - 09:43 PM

backpacker bullshit is the worst

#36 hottnikkels

hottnikkels

• Members
  • 7911 posts
  • Joined 07-December 03

Posted 23 April 2005 - 09:48 PM

just another hip hop thread on a mars volta site

View Post

Do you mean the same Mars Volta that contributed to the latest "Handsome Boy Modeling School" album?

I love when someone starts off a statement with blah blah blah, it shows they haven't listened to a word you've said and they'll leave the conversation as ignorant as they came.

Bla bla bla.
Comparing hip hop to music is like comparing this chat board with To Kill a Mockingbird.

View Post

Blah blah blah, Stop being white. Anticon has as little to say as 50 Cent.

View Post

#37 Dino Suzuki

Dino Suzuki

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3405 posts
  • Joined 09-August 03
  • Interests:setting things on fire, velvet underground, the roots, can, miles davis, sonic youth, talib kweli, rjd2, the fall, sun ra, mos def, public enemy, mahavisnu orchestra, beastie boys, iggy/stooges, mc5, hunter s thompson, BLACK PEOPLE.

Posted 23 April 2005 - 10:03 PM

Hip hop rocks. I'm just sick of every thread about "hip hop" on this board being about Aesop Rock and Atmosphere. Obviously, the Mars Volta guesting on a Handsome Boy Modelling School album doesn't necesarrily mean their indie snob fans know, or are willing to accept, any hip hop outside of some backpacking nasally white guys.

A hip hop convention should at least mention Public Enemy, Mos Def, the Roots, Wu Tang, those fucking hippies De La Soul, and a Tribe Called Quest etc etc etc if you want to get the point across that hip hop is "just as promising and authentic as any other art-form or musical genre." I'm not even asking you to mention Tupac or Biggie, for I'm sure they're way too "mainstream" and not "intelligent" or wordy enough.

You could have at least mentioned good backpackers like Cannibal Ox.

#38 hottnikkels

hottnikkels

• Members
  • 7911 posts
  • Joined 07-December 03

Posted 23 April 2005 - 10:20 PM

Hip hop rocks. I'm just sick of every thread about "hip hop" on this board being about Aesop Rock and Atmosphere. Obviously, the Mars Volta guesting on a Handsome Boy Modelling School album doesn't necesarrily mean their indie snob fans know, or are willing to accept, any hip hop outside of some backpacking nasally white guys.

A hip hop convention should at least mention Public Enemy, Mos Def, the Roots, Wu Tang, those fucking hippies De La Soul, and a Tribe Called Quest etc etc etc if you want to get the point across that hip hop is "just as promising and authentic as any other art-form or musical genre." I'm not even asking you to mention Tupac or Biggie, for I'm sure they're way too "mainstream" and not "intelligent" or wordy enough.

You could have at least mentioned good backpackers like Cannibal Ox.

View Post

I don't even listen to Anticon artists, which is why I didn't mention them on my lists, but I respect them and certainly acknowledge that they have as much to say as anyone else that writes music.

Did you even read the thread or did you just come in here to talk shit? De La soul, A tribe called quest, gza (from wu-tang), and Mos def are all on my list of albums to listen to. In fact that list is only like 12 albums long so you just named 1/4 of the artists on it.

I love Biggie and Tupac, but I'm trying to show people that don't enjoy the violent or bragadocious lyrics and typical beats of most mainstream hip-hop that there is more available than that, and if that doesn't suit them perhaps something more expieramental or thought provoking (in different way) will.

I'm a fan of Cannibal Ox, Public Enemy, and lots of other artists, but I had already made that long thread and I wasn't going to spend all day writing out every single essential hip-hop album ever made. That's why I encouraged others to add onto that list in their own posts.

#39 Mr. Id

Mr. Id

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 178 posts
  • Joined 02-March 05

Posted 23 April 2005 - 10:56 PM

He obviously can't make even a halfway decent argument to back his words up, so that makes anything he says completely worthless. For someone that seems to think of himself as some sort of an intellectual his stubbornness and apathy has led him to sound pretty ignorant if you ask me.

View Post

It's a matter of the basics of form, children. Bona fide songwriting requires a set of dimensions utterly lacking in rap: structure (in the Aristotelian sense--meaning beginning, mounting tension, climax, denoument); structure (in the chromatic sense); melody, a dimension of limitless permutational potential absent from rap; and the interactional dimension of melodic/lyrical con-fusion.
Typical song structure: A (intro); B (verse); C (chorus); B, C, D (bridge), C, maybe C again, etc....
Typical rap: A, A, A, A, A, A, A, A, A, A ... ad nauseum, "A" representing a looped sample of some pretty damned great Motown classic.

To put some rapster on the same level of a true songwriter is to do a great disservice and to show a lack of appreciation for the spiritual efforts of the person who bothered to learn how to play an instrument, tap into the art of songwriting, and create something original and indelible to contribute to the world.

Now, mind you, I know that not all rap is the "typical" variety I illustrated above, but I have no interest in stuff like the Roots, whom people treat like Isaac Newton for learning how to competently wield organic instruments. Big deal; it just shows how much the bar has been lowered by rap for the demands we place on musicians.

This is not a subjective analysis, either, so just quit with that.

#40 Dino Suzuki

Dino Suzuki

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3405 posts
  • Joined 09-August 03

Posted 23 April 2005 - 11:23 PM

View Post

It's a matter of the basics of form, children. Bona fide songwriting requires a set of dimensions utterly lacking in rap: structure (in the Aristotelian sense--meaning beginning, mounting tension, climax, denoument); structure (in the chromatic sense); melody, a dimension of limitless permutational potential absent from rap; and the interactional dimension of melodic/lyrical con-fusion.
Typical song structure: A (intro); B (verse); C (chorus); B, C, D (bridge), C, maybe C again, etc....
Typical rap: A, A, A, A, A, A, A, A, A, A ... ad nauseum, "A" representing a looped sample of some pretty damned great Motown classic.

To put some rapster on the same level of a true songwriter is to do a great disservice and to show a lack of appreciation for the spiritual efforts of the person who bothered to learn how to play an instrument, tap into the art of songwriting, and create something original and indelible to contribute to the world.

Now, mind you, I know that not all rap is the "typical" variety I illustrated above, but I have no interest in stuff like the Roots, whom people treat like Isaac Newton for learning how to competently wield organic instruments. Big deal; it just shows how much the bar has been lowered by rap for the demands we place on musicians.

This is not a subjective analysis, either, so just quit with that.

View Post

What we have here is someone who refuses to accept an art that diverges from old tried and true methods. Music is noise and art. Labelling song parts with letters doesn't make anything more valid than anything else. Velvet Underground's Heroin is little more than A, A, A, A, A, A, A, A, A, A, A as well. Maybe a B thrown in somewhere for good measure.

A short 30 second snippet of an "A" can mean more than some wanky prog bands song that has a structure of A, H, A, A, Z, D, S, Z, A, A, B, A, B, F, 5, Q, *, ^, @, L.

The way something is structured does not make something valid or invalid art, or ever make something enjoyable, heartfelt, meaningful, or emotional. Many rap groups have songs that are more meaningful, socially relevant, and a true piece of art than countless bands who use your precious "proper" song structures.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users